Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I still remember being a kid at like 8 in 1998 and deciding to buy a She-Hulk comic because Hulk is rad, why not see She-Hulk? The issue was just absolutely full of barely concealed nudity and no actual superheroics or two-fisted lawyering, so much so my child brain said "...man they super should not have sold me this and I'll get in trouble for having it" and I gave it to my mom to hold on to and for years She-Hulk was just fetish bait in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It was likely Byrne. I just won't forget being a kid and seeing hero comics treat ladies like that and my reaction was never "hell yeah comics" but just "are these actually intended for me because this feels like an adult product and if this is the case I'll just stick to animated series". The 90s were bad. Real bad.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I thought Maneaters had an interesting albeit clumsy premise that I still kind of hope explores marketing products to masculine-identifying folks that promotes toxic masculinity. But you make a good point with referencing trans people and how the thing is tied into menstruation and other AFAB biological functions. And considering how it's gone whole hog with satirizing toxic marketing in such a shallow and broad way, I don't think I trust it to ever get around to recognizing trans people slash don't necessarily expect it to be a meaningful or good address. So in all seriousness thanks for the effortpost, Archy, because it's making at least one person reconsider giving this person the time of day.

oh also cg chuds should be deplatformed and silenced in addition to one of their targets doing better next time.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Alhazred posted:

I will never understand the right's obsession with using lots of money on buying stuff they're going to destroy.
Conspicuous consumption to be a show of wealth. I am successful and rich and I can afford to light this stack of Goddess Mode comics on fire with a hundred dollar bill!

Also please support my Hatreon, I'm almost making 20 bucks a month but I'd like to make 22.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Green Intern posted:

Based on an exhaustive (5 second) Google search, Ghostbusters 2016 had a budget of $144M, and made $229M at the box office. As I understand it, something like half of that box office actually goes directly back to theaters and distribution costs. So even a film that appears widely successful can still be considered a flop at the producer/studio level due to this split.

Basing a film's success solely on revenue is just lovely consumer capitalist thought though.
You're absolutely right on the last point. Also I'm sorry here is a big stupid ramble about movie politics through profit.

Disclaimer: this is just years of incredibly amateur know-how and experience on my part from people in the retail movie theater scene so if I'm wrong I'm wrong and will let people with more experience than me talk.

But, in short: you have to effectively double every single movie budget and then roughly multiply that by 1.5 in order to see the beginning of a profit and as a result Hollywood has ended up with obscenely skewed success metrics because it's never enough to make back the initial investment, you have to at least double it. If it's 20 million you need 60 million to declare it a success and not a huge waste of time and effort because Hollywood and investment are dangerously hand in hand.

Ghostbusters 2016: budget of 144 million dollars. Heavily advertised because Sony doesn't do subtle these days, Sony wants hella money all the time, so it's not unreasonable to say that in addition to the marketing the entire shebang cost 300 million dollars.

Which is a lot. Hollywood has a loving huge bloat and scale problem. On the low end of things, a cheap movie is around 10 million dollars. We're talking your two-week runs of horror films written by up-and-coming directors being wildly exploited by Warner Brothers executives. On the high end of things you have every single time Disney pushes the envelope with insane cash injections because Disney's big thing lately has been drowning the competition in displays of power. The fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie was 378 million and that was four years after the third movie which is an insane gamble of money but if anyone can do that, it's loving Disney.

Back to Ghostbusters: it has to make 300,000,000.01 to begin to make a profit. Not an unlikely prospect, it's not hard to pull that kind of swing in the summer season when everyone and their dog are releasing blockbusters. Feig himself said "it has to make 500 million worldwide and that's probably low". It did not, in fact, make even close to that amount. 229 million is not even enough to break even.

Furthermore movie theaters themselves barely see any of this money; 90% of a ticket goes back to the companies that make them with 10% going to the theater themselves. That ratio shifts as time goes on or if it's pre-negotiated to be a different split or if the theater gets the movie way late in the run where the studio has comfortably reaped all the cash they want. Movie theaters themselves make money off concessions which is why there's absolutely insane markup on a cup of soda and a single batch of popcorn is roughly 10 cents of seed, oil and flavoring salt but makes 3 tubs of popcorn that get sold for $8 each but this is just a huge digression that means nothing because this is a special interest for me because this is the hell I live in.

Anyway why did I do that entire breakdown? Well that's what it looks like when a movie isn't successful and can't get everything it absolutely positively needs back. Now to actually add some context for this whole specific thread, let's take a look at what is probably going to be a talking point for the chuds now that Captain Marvel did do business and they have to start moving goalposts:

"Captain Marvel not doing as well as the other movies means that :females:-centric movies that cater to the SJW liberal blah blah wank wank is bad business and the companies are going to stop because the real money is found by catering to me and my six white male friends all named Blake."

The two metrics they're going to use are Black Panther and Wonder Woman because BP is the last Marvel film that dared pay attention to minorities and Wonder Woman will be compared because Captain Marvel is a lady and Wonder Woman is a lady and by that metric alone they should be compared.

Wonder Woman: 149 million budget, making it effectively 300 million including marketing and advertising, 821 million worldwide. Very sizeable return on investment, very strong. Having been a boot on the ground in the retail scene, Wonder Woman absolutely had staying power. Mid-May was a good time to drop it off as the start of the blockbuster season because quite frankly had no real competition in the form of Pirates of the Caribbean: Please Stop, Universal Studios presents Universal Studio's Dark Universe The Mummy a Dark Universe film and Cars 3: #millennials.

Black Panther: Good golly Miss Molly, they don't have the budget for this sucker released just yet but it was estimated to be 200-210 million and made 1.3 billion. They could announce that it had the budget of a pack of gum and a sneeze and it'd still be a handy profit to let Disney pat itself on the back with. Dropping Black Panther in February was like pitching an actual iron cannonball into a swimming pool and it had good staying power for an entire month and then some.

Captain Marvel: 152 million budget, double it for 304 and change, current standing intake of 456 million as of writing this. That's nothing to sneeze at, that's a very solid recoup and stuck landing. It too has the luxury of jack and poo poo being worth watching right now if you don't know what's in theaters and just aimlessly show up to see what's on. 800 million total is very doable but in all seriousness I would imagine that it's likely going to be around 700ish without a big push that I don't think is coming.

And they're going to use those metrics to giggle and cackle and say "ah you see they will stop making these movies about people who aren't me" despite missing the cultural context of the world around them. Namely that:

1: BP and WW came out already and this is just a third solid point of proof to indicate that you should start diversifying your casts.
2: BP and WW came out in a pre-Infinity War world. Don't forget that Ant Man and the Wasp kind of got the shaft when people realized "wait this has nothing to do with IW and just explains where Ant Man is".

Regrettably CM has to come out before Tony Stark and Captain America loving die and the road has already been paved for it to come out this way. It's good to have more diversity and representation. It's good to put more lady role models on the screen. It's bad when you're a multi-billion dollar megacorp that gets to be a cultural gatekeeper and loving deigns to declare who can and cannot be made popular and accessible by the masses and you don't give a huge amount of thought to the implications and message sent caused by your lady-lead movie to just be the last thing before the absolute end, especially when that message empowers assholes to act shittier than they normal do.

In conclusion: if you need to smack a dickhead down once he starts moving the goalposts and starts talking about how everything is on the decline, here are some points to make to grasp firmly and apply with force. They're going to keep dragging about GB16 and how sassy and confrontational "this isn't for you, silly boys, now it's time for WOMEN!" marketing meant the entire thing imploded and GB16 was a failure and Captain Marvel didn't even make as much money as these other films and this is why they are wrong and also being intentionally disingenuous.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 11, 2019

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

^^^Don't forget the F&F movies, which, while not superhero movies, feature diverse casts and have been very successful.
I was going at it from a more superhero movie angle but yeah you know what, that's fair. At this point they're doing a spin-off where The Rock and Jason Statham have to clown on a genetically-enhanced cyborg supersoldier so it's safe to say that the F&F movies are superhero films (yes that's really the plot of Hobbs & Shaw).

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Y'all and yinz are delightfully nonbinary terms I use regularly.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

drat that's a dope-rear end Samus, sharing that with some of my friends.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I don't know who that guy is but I know to never trust anyone on Twitter who keeps responding to things with that laughing so hard you're crying emote.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He just likes swastikas.
:pseudo: Actually I think you'll find he's just a Jainist who is bad at hanging holy symbols and doesn't own a level.

it goes without saying I'm kidding but just in case: gently caress Jack, ban the Nazis, burn Twitter to the ground

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

He also does generally believe that things are getting better...we just have to work towards them and put in the effort to make sure things keep getting better. Shortcuts and solutions tend to backfire badly. Spider's childhood is a good example of that and more recently all the problems of Injection stem from a small handful of people making the Hard Choice to make the world fantastical and mythical again and how badly that goes.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Two decades of learning the wrong lessons is how I'd say that happens.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10172005

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Jeremy "TheQuartering" Hambly is also a tabletop CHUD who claims someone beat his rear end at Gencon or another huge con and tried to sue people because, if memory serves, WOTC banned him from stuff involving Magic the Gathering.

He's a bad person and he's also an idiot grifter who is generally amoral and mercenary.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Tame Impala's making comics now? Neat!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Is that Hapajack? Happajack? The dude who started shilling for ionized water and Christianity? Been a minute since I thought about that racist weirdo.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Critical thinking in the form of media criticism is a learned thing, not an inherent thing, and it's also not a mandatory part of education in America (it should be). This leads to a lot of people missing the point constantly despite you thinking it's so god drat blatantly obvious.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

Somewhat related to the topic of this thread, I've found a few interviews and a lecture by Alan Moore. He seems like a solid guy, with a perspective I can respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAxDDqi2tBg

Those of you in the know, can you confirm? Is Alan Moore still cool?
He's, uh. He's got some good ideas. He's also Too Horny and gets too high on his own ideas and hype and both of these flaws are best illustrated in the entire run of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Dude needs a more firm editor and some more self restraint.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I just astrally projected into Hell and came back with parts of my soul missing and replaced with new and strange things at the notion of a licensed 1990s Far Side movie.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Davros1 posted:

There was one or two prime time animated Far Side specials back in the day.
Yeah I've heard of those but I mean a god drat 1990s major studio adaptation of the loving Far Side and how much of a banal shitshow it would shape up to be. I don't mean to say I'd sold my soul for that, I mean to say I was not sent to a happy place at the thought.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I'm legitimately surprised he didn't double-down and go for the "parody is fair use" route but also Warner Brothers has some of the most absolutely vicious lawyers around so in addition to IGG immediately (and rightfully) deferring to WB's desires, they very likely found themselves down the barrel of a loaded gun.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

[leans over and whispers to my friend in the dark of the theater] that's comicsgate

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't know how many of you have ever seen a man try to draw a penis, it ain't pretty.
You're not following the Legacy of Dominic Deegan thread, are you?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

It's "cuck" by way of disparaging intelligence and implying neurodivergence or disability because it's short for "simpleton" or "simple".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I'm not gonna put a lot of stock in Urban Dictionary myself but I could believe it. I dunno. It's yet another stupid word that sounds stupid and is being used by the worst possible people. On the plus side you can tell it's a bad idea used by bad people because it sounds so dumb.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The dude sucks but this is a new and exciting dimension of "christ, what an rear end in a top hat". A lot of people like to hate-read his works because it's legitimately bad and weird wish-fulfillment special interest pandering but, like, I think that well has been tapped dry a while ago and people still keep him in their mind filed under "eccentric weirdo" when in actuality he's always been kind of a sex pest gently caress but people get hung up on how his weird comic is bad.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Anora posted:

What the gently caress...

Who thinks like this?
"Soft boys" with predatory tendencies.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Applegate has mentioned being pro-trans/pro-queer. I think her daughter is trans.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Yeah whisper networks are real things but they exist in the form of marginalized people working to protect marginalized people in fields and give them support and resources to help them stay in the field, not to get the people running these groups in trouble/fired. More often than not they're small things, like private conversations of "So&So is trouble and you should stay away from him" or shared commiseration to help victims remember they're not alone, with some receipts and information saved in case poo poo goes down and it's actually time to stand up to someone.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I just read that whole series out of curiosity and holy poo poo, yeah.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Monaghan posted:

One thing I really liked about the ending was that it showed how (spoilers for a five year old comic I guess ) Was how Jerry's life improved after getting away from the club. He's shown to have a job being a professional magic player, he's had a ton of great experiences and friends because of it. He's even got a girlfriend. It's a nice way of showing how positive fandom can be if you get away from the horrible people in it.

Everyone else stuck in the club is a toxic piece of garbage. They're all varying degrees of assholes and losers, with Bill being the worst of all. At the end everyone else is stuck in this car, which is drawn to be almost like a black hole. Jerry leaves but the other three are there still bitching about a trailer for a movie but they'll all have to see it. It's fantastic.

Splint Chesthair posted:

When you look at the entire series in retrospect, Lou the comic shop owner really becomes the unspoken villain. As much as the Club despises him, he turns out to be their strongest role model in terms of what "fandom" is - an excuse to be exclusionary and exploitative. Jerry succeeds because he's still following his hobby out of genuine love for it - the others continue to wallow in it to spite someone else or put themselves in a position of superiority. Jerry also has been receiving help with his mental health, so he has a support system the others clearly don't. That little flashback to the first meeting of the Eltingville Club is a heartbreaker because it's at a point where all four of them still have an authentic appreciation for their hobbies/collections and haven't been soured by the toxic elements of it, i.e. the Lous of the world.
I think what also helps is that in the aftermath of burning down Lou's shop, Jerry's the only one whose family seems to have a healthy reaction to this and his family in general seems to be the only one who actually pays attention to him and his issues. Pete's dad threatens to break his legs and demands he get a summer job and throw out his collection, Josh's dad guilt trips the gently caress out of him over how his hobby has put stress on his mother, Bill's mom's reaction is "well I guess you hate me and I don't know why but we're going somewhere else until this blows over" and previously tried to hire intervention people to scare him straight and Jerry's mom is like "I'm really disappointed in you and when your dad is home we'll have to talk about it and you're not seeing those guys again". Everyone else blames the hobby and interests and that makes the boys hostile and entrenched but Jerry's folks rightly recognize that the hobby isn't the problem but the fact that he's in a crab bucket.

I wish I read this series earlier because...drat it's a pretty loving powerful series when you put it all together.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Skwirl posted:

But seriously though, choosing that as your online name.
I'm not surprised an rear end in a top hat online liked South Park enough to pick a username from it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

God loving drat it Image.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Alright having managed to track down a ripped version of the interview with the LA Times, which was October 2021, it specifically said Pink Cat had the makings of a Gen Z Garfield and also the account had 240k followers on Instagram which is like, yeah that's a good amount of people but if you're in the sigma grind hustle mindset that's really on the low end of things considering how Instagram works and how loving mercurial and predatory it is. I'm not gonna say that's not nothing, that's clearly something, but the article also reads like it's just a piece talking about a local artist that got mildly popular in a big place like California and is unknown pretty much everywhere else.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

...the c-tier gaming webcomic?
Yeah. It was a whole thing where they tried to make their own web comic and as a completely unrelated consequence of it we got this emote: :goku:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I don't see the issue. When I draw white people I make sure they are holding hot dogs and dishes of tater tot casserole, the food of our people.
Clark Kent just flying into battle with a plate of shrimp casserole.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

mallratcal posted:

lol I didn't even know kiwi farms was gone, good.
People involved are getting served with legal paperwork hither and yon and it's being classified as a terror threat, it's a pretty good time and also completely unsurprising that EVS was running his dumbass grift there as well.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I guess in relevant news to this IRT Comicsgate Hambley put out a video being like "KIWI FARMS BEING TAKEN DOWN IS CENSORSHIP GOING TOO FAR" after they, uh, SWATted him and forced him to move, because he's a craven grifter who sucks poo poo at his job and lifestyle and can't afford to alienate the people who are whipping wrapped rolls of change at him to hurt him that he then picks up and puts in his wallet. Your bullies are getting blown up so hard international alphabet agencies can just net some easy arrests, you don't have to lick their boots, but he can't afford to go out of line or he'll lose everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

E the Shaggy posted:

Of all the right-wing chuds who milk diversity in anything, the Quartering is the loving worst. He believes in nothing but making himself money and what makes it all the worse is that his videos are legit the laziest loving poo poo I've ever seen. It is MIND BOGGLING that there are hundreds of thousands of people watching his ten minute videos where he speaks as slowly as humanly possible, spends half of the time advertising his lovely coffee, and then will be unable to read articles.
Said video was 12 minutes long and the first three was advertising a VPN so I'm glad he is at least consistent in his quality.