Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alright we tried to have a thread solely focused on more in depth discussion but some jackass disrupted the thread caused problems and then it turned into people calling each other names. This was not the idea I had in mind for the thread when it was created. So if people want a more hands off approach instead instead we'll try that. I'm going to relax the posting guidelines but the few rules that are in place will be dealt with in a stricter manner.

There are only three rules to this thread. Breaking any of these rules results in your account being banned. There will be no probations handed out in this thread, other than six hour probations to shut people up until a ban is approved. Other than that you are free to post however you like in this thread. Do not report any posts in this thread unless you believe they are breaking one of these rules.

1. Harassment or intolerance of any kind is unacceptable. If you are racist, homophobic, transphobic, or just a garden variety piece of poo poo you will be banned. If you complain about too many women in comics or diversity in comics you will be banned. If you support ComicsGate and actually are stupid enough to say so you will be banned. If one of those people disrupt the thread you're free to treat them in a manner a bigot is deserving.

2. If you post in this thread to argue in bad faith or play devil's advocate you will banned. If you post to antagonize or play games you will be banned.

3. No NSFW posts/material. Even in spoiler tags. Especially in spoiler tags. If you do you will be banned.

If you are banned for Rules 2 or 3 in this thread you not only forfeit your account you also forfeit your rights to post in this thread again if you pay to unban yourself and will be banned again if you post in this thread.

If you are banned for Rule 1 in this thread you forfeit your right to post in BSS in any thread and will be banned any time you make a post in this forum.

If someone is reported for breaking one of the rules above it will be dealt with as soon as possible. Bans are not immediate. I will give a six hour probation to shut them up when I see the report and submit the ban but if the ban is not approved in six hours that means they might keep posting in this thread.

Other than that you are free to engage with each other in whatever manner you wish. So do not report someone that simply disagrees with you unless they fall into one of the categories above. Do not report anyone that argues with you unless they fall into one of the categories above. If you don't like what they're saying then say something back to them. The gloves are off now.

EDIT: Since apparently it needs double double clarification if some bigot comes into the thread to cause issues you are free to respond in any way you wish.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not a mod but as I understand it mods can freely hand out sixers all they want but anything more than that has to be approved by an admin, I guess to keep someone from going power crazy and banning everyone in [INSERT SUBFORUM HERE].

This is correct.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Does this include harassment or intolerance of nazis and other assorted bigots?

Or are people gonna get insta-banned because of a "Paradox of Tolerance" situation?

If you read and understood the rest of that rule you shouldn’t be asking this question.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jedit posted:

As I understood the rule, we should not be telling Nazis in this thread to gently caress off because every post comes equipped with Big Jim Slade a handy gently caress Off Nazi button found next to "Quote". Am I mistaken in this?

Yes you are mistaken in this. That was the last thread. This thread is not that thread. The report button is so I can ban anyone behaving like that. After you hit that button you can use the reply button to do so in whatever manner you like.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Just to confirm: This is still the thread to talk about general industry issues like labor problems etc, yes?

That falls under Industry Terribleness so yes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

420 Gank Mid posted:

I did read it but I am not sure I understood it because I am worried about statements you made in the last thread where you seemed to confuse telling nazis to gently caress off with actual harassment. If you've had a change of heart that's cool but it'd be nice to have it in writing

X-O posted:

Yes you are mistaken in this. That was the last thread. This thread is not that thread. The report button is so I can ban anyone behaving like that. After you hit that button you can use the reply button to do so in whatever manner you like.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah I got that the last thread was like that, that's part of my apprehension. I am asking about this thread and you have so far refused to give a straight answer twice. Are you going to ban people for perceived harassment against nazis and other assorted bigots?

The post above literally says you can reply however you like. I'm not sure it can be made any clearer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well 420 Gank Mid and I spoke via PM hours ago and I added clarification in the exact terms they suggested to the first rule but since you apparently need even more than that I've added it again to the bottom of the post.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It will be interesting to see which creators donate to this publicly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guggenheim has TV money. Lots of it. So I'm not surprised at that amount. Most comic creators are not lucky enough to have that kind of money to throw around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Other names I recognized

Geoffrey Thorne
Shawn Kirkham
Dean Haspiel
Hart Seely
Chris Ryall
Gerry Conway
Joe Henderson
Clayton Cowles
Reilly Brown
Joe Keatinge

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

AzureFlame posted:

Totally legitimate comments from totally legitimate people on Waid's fundraiser. I can see in the donation log that "Patrick" just gave 10 dollars themselves, is it common for people to use fake CC's/chargebacks to fake donate on these things?

I think one of those posts is mocking the other. One says "Anti-CG responses" and the other "CG responses" though I'm not sure who is mocking who here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JordanKai posted:

CGers are going wild on the GoFundMe page right now.

Hmm...that capitalisation. Did Frank Miller write this? 🤔

They should hire some kind of internationally recognized private investigator to get the bottom of this. If they can get some stealthy sleuths in the local coffee shops I'm sure they can find some incriminating evidence to take this Mark Waid fella down.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm totally convinced that the EVS GodFundMe has gotten three legitimate donations of greater than $10,000. That definitely is a thing that is true.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Youtube loves "________ Ending Explained!" videos so I'm sure you'll find something there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Death Ray posted:

Anyone interested in learning about the small but critical role that this thread's previous incarnation, "The Dark Side of the Comics Industry", played in the current collapse of ComicsGate, here's a link to my Twitter column on the subject:

One of the few rules of this thread was specifically made to keep your dumb rear end out of it and somehow you didn't comprehend that. What a goddamn moron.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When someone is banned and probated they keep the probation avatar until the probation is over, then the banned avatar shows up. There's no way to know until then if they bought an account again or not. But if he posts again I imagine the outcome would be identical for him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also they''re all terrible people and this is one of the only things they have going for them. When you're a piece of poo poo you tend to keep doing piece of poo poo things.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Captain Rufus posted:

Maher hates a lot of harmless stupid poo poo for idiotic reasons. And it seems things not aimed directly at adults being enjoyed by adults are one of his big rage ons. Like he seems legit mad at adults reading YA type books or anything online as its not REAL READING. Also he hates the current superhero movie trend because OMG CHILDISH. Also rages about milk but loves his weed not exactly seeing the hypocrisy there.

I listen to the podcast version of his show and he is seriously an old with many progressive views for his age. His Catholic upbringing clearly hosed him up bigtime and he bought into a lot of the late Boomer era bullshit about what adults are supposed to do as adults not seeing the disconnect with stuff he does that many folks his age would consider bad. Like most people it's clear he has WHAT I LIKE GOOD WHAT YOU LIKE BAD EVEN IF REALLY THE SAME THING.

He is no rightie by any measure outside of hard left loonie circlejerks like SA seems to be turning into. By "normal" US standards he is closer to a leftist boogeyman out to take your guns and let the browns in the nation to have gay anchor babies. (In reality he is a stereotypical liberal elitist more or less. Just one that will actually listen to other viewpoints outside of some of his stupid hang ups. And Trump tried or actually did sue him for mean words. Maher also gave a ton of money to the Obama campaign making him more politically effective than this entire forum more or less. How good that was given why the Orange Idiot is rumored to have run and if we want to count whatever 4chan did as political change through SA is a whole other thing.)

But it's not cool to rag on a dead old guy who helped create tons of stuff people love because you think adults and current culture in general should all be reading deep snooty books and watching oscarbait. Not cool at all.

There's not a :jerkbag: big enough to adequately reply to this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Even the smallest of Stan Lee’s creations will be remembered decades even after I die. Nobody will give a poo poo about anything Maher has ever done years before he’s gone. If they even care now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kojiro posted:

I legitimately hadn't heard his name til now, and still don't know who this man is or why people are interested in his opinions, so you're probably onto something there.

Edited to add: please don't tell me who he is, tia

Let's just say I find it humorous that in 25 years the only thing people might ever see with him in it is Iron Man 3.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

He was in im3?

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Maher

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

http://therealstanlee.com/open-letter-to-bill-maher.html

quote:

An Open Letter to Bill Maher from Stan Lee’s POW! Entertainment

Mr. Maher: Comic books, like all literature, are storytelling devices. When written well by great creators such as Stan Lee, they make us feel, make us think and teach us lessons that hopefully make us better human beings. One lesson Stan taught so many of us was tolerance and respect, and thanks to that message, we are grateful that we can say you have a right to your opinion that comics are childish and unsophisticated. Many said the same about Dickens, Steinbeck, Melville and even Shakespeare.

But to say that Stan merely inspired people to “watch a movie” is in our opinion frankly disgusting. Countless people can attest to how Stan inspired them to read, taught them that the world is not made up of absolutes, that heroes can have flaws and even villains can show humanity within their souls. He gave us the X-Men, Black Panther, Spider-Man and many other heroes and stories that offered hope to those who felt different and bullied while inspiring countless to be creative and dream of great things to come.

These are but a few of the things we the fans of Stan Lee also consider “adulting,” because life both as a child and grown-up can indeed be a struggle. Stan is the author of millions of happy childhood memories and the provider of so many of the positive tools of adulthood.

Our shock at your comments makes us want to say “‘Nuff said, Bill,” but instead we will rely on another of Stan’s lessons to remind you that you have a powerful platform, so please remember: “With great power there must also come -- great responsibility!”

-Team Stan

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bill Maher is an anti-vaxxer who talks about getting high all the time yet he says it's comic books that make people dumb. I mean even if you didn't know about his rampant racism, xenophobia, and other other numerous lovely beliefs those two things right there should be enough to disqualify him on being able to say "X is the thing that makes people dumb" or even start that conversation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

He's 30 years old, who was hitting puberty in 2001 or so and scanning the horizon for male role models and coming up with the Fonz and KISS?

"9/11 hit people in different ways. Whereas you turned to your parent for comfort all I had were Sean Connery and Henry Winkler to guide me" - Eric Esquivel (Probably)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Elizabeth Breitweiser.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maybe it’s a good thing we didn’t get her Marvel series about the robot family.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel has started looking a lot to prose writers lately and has some really great finds there. For instance Saladin Ahmed, Eve Ewing, and Rainbow Rowell are all killing it on their books right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonna be great when the Star Wars people see how well that figure sold and end up making the next movie all about that character. True winning strategy there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have more of a problem with people asking for money to subscribe to an Instructional Video site than I do with someone having a video on the site. I mean get your priorities in order. People shouldn’t setup a GoFundMe for every expense on things they want. There’s no necessity there. There are people in bad shape using GoFundMe for legit reasons. Wanting to watch a Neil Gaiman video series ain’t it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Usually i only post joeq when he says something dumb but i thought this was worth sharing (thread)

https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/status/1092601795199856642?s=19

What an awesome story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure who Peter Simeti is or what he did to get on some people's bad side but even if he's a poo poo head you don't SWAT someone. That kinda poo poo has gotten someone killed before. If he's a poo poo bag then call him out on this poo poo he does and make him suffer that way. Don't endanger his life like that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't even think Alterna Comics ever had a real alt-right comic in the hopper (Antarctic Press did, and all of the "Fly By Night Publishers That Name Themselves Something That Gets Them Close To the Front of Previews" blur together and no one seems to keep them straight.)

The CG-adjacent stuff at Alterna is their publisher (Peter Simeti) kept refusing to say anything unkind about Comicsgate because they're grateful for EVERY reader and some people are trying to SHAME him into not being grateful to each and every person who supports them but he will not be shamed and then he started blocking anyone who was vocally anti-CG. This was because he was retweeting literally any account mentioning/praising one of his comics, even if the rest of the message was about how they bought an Alterna book rather than some cucked SJW Marvel book edited by a feminazi or whatever bullshit CG was on that week. When the whole "you're signal boosting abuse" thing came up, he blocked the people who brought it up.

He then updated the Code of Conduct for employees/freelancers at Alterna to state that they could not insult fans or groups of fans and were not allowed to [s]block[s] blockchain on Twitter because think about it, every person you block could be a potential customer! See at Alterna, we value each and every fan as a potential customer and unlike at those other big companies we'd never condemn or belittle a potential customer just because they have abhorrent views, or harass people online, or harass our creators, we're a company that respects the fans! It is a complete coincidence that I, the publisher of Alterna Comics, appear on a ton of CG-affiliated streams and blogs, I have no idea whatever you are implying!

https://twitter.com/petersimeti/status/1094374776079032320

There's a lot of weird coincidences like that!

Anyway, SWATTing is terrible it should not have been done assuming it was actually done, I will be curious to see if there's any follow up on this.

Yeah he sounds like a douche alright, but whoever decided it would be a fun prank to SWAT him is an even bigger rear end in a top hat. That is of course if it even happened at all like you said.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Being skeptical of someone like that doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. But it's also good for other people like Cates to put it out there that if something like that did happen it's not ok.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have a feeling this will be a future topic in this thread.

https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1098991178941374473

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

So people are threatening his life over some retcons that clean up Eddie's history?

They're threatening his life because they ship Eddie and the Symbiote (they call it SymBrock instead of, well you know Venom, because they're crazy) and the Symbiote was just revealed to be manipulating Eddie into staying with him by doing some really terrible stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't even know if they existed then. I don't follow crazy shippers of any kind. For all I know they could be byproducts of the movie. All I know is that the Donny Cates Venom book is real good and is the first time I've ever really liked Venom outside of Flash.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1099864574340165632

Wow. Just wow.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not familiar with him at all so I hope so. Though it wouldn't be the dumbest reply to a tweet I've seen in the last hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It says something about the discourse on Twitter that I had no problem believing someone would say that sincerely.