Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol it was absolutely not used in that way. I doubt 90% of comic book fans even knew what anime was in the early 90s

The early 90s was when I was an anime fan. poo poo cartoon Network was showing sailor Moon at the time.

Edit:. Columbia House had an anime section in their catalogue and an anime club that sent you one tape a month, I know because I was a member in like '92

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yup, they sure were

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I could see that being a book about education vs indoctrination, but not from that creative team using those characters. Switch it to a white kid getting ready to shoot up some place and becoming enthralled by the culture and experiences he was denied and yeah it's still insensitive as gently caress.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CynicalThundercunt posted:

Now I'm interested. Can you explain to me how an individual rear end in a top hat saying something edgy is killing someone and putting multiple people in harms way?

Hate speech IS violence you ignorant poo poo.

Edit: ahh, I see now you were just an idealist.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 24, 2018

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for this, I was struggling to figure out how Maneaters was transphobic. gently caress, i liked that series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's lovely in comics when there's already books thAt are story by x written by y that do fine

I'm more likely to read those than a ghost written book with no actual writer credit

Lol, holy poo poo, same. I've been skipping millarworld books because I have no desire to read millar

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

This is tangentially comics related and definitely rightwing so uh here

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1094821561050324993

I don't know what this is saying? Is this the DC Titans? The cartoon, the comic, the live action series? Is it supposed to be about the mythological titans, which makes no sense, but idk?

What is this about?

EDIT: oh, nm i just remembered that anime thing with teh giant naked dudes, that's probably it

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Speaking of pejoratives and slurs, if I see somebody (and they're a CG-er, so already a Clue) complain somebody else is going 'REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!' or similar that's also them trying to claim the person is autistic, right?

If you see other chud-like behavior, yeah. I used that for a while because I thought it referencing Invasion of the Body Snatchers until someone told me otherwise. It might have been here? If you're not getting any other red flags and it's someone you know, try cluing them in.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

A dude like that I just can't help but feel sorry for. It's pretty clear he probably loves comics, almost certainly is some shut-in weirdo, found (unfortunately) a group of similar people in CG, and in turn bought into their garbage wholesale. I almost feel a little bad seeing him called out like that, it's not like he's some industry artist who still can't draw worth a poo poo, he's just some pathetic loser.

Almost.

Yeah, I don't like making fun of people like that unless they're doing straight up hateful poo poo.

But now I see Skwirl's post and gently caress this guy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Heard he went after a 16 year old, but that could just be an idel rumour.

Remember Transformer 3 and how the MC kept Texas' Romeo-And-Juliet law in his wallet? (I think, at least. Never saw the movie but a comedian made fun of the movie for it).

Check out Lindsay Ellis' The Whole Plate series, which looks at Transformers through a variety of film criticism lenses. She hits on that. As someone who hates the transformers movies, I really enjoyed these videos.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This is more gamergate than comicsgate, but chuds are gonna chud. I just backed this kickstarter because the game looks CUTE AF plus you know some man child is huffing in anger at this existing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1885319905/calico-magical-girls-running-cat-cafes-0?ref=thanks-share

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My lazy rear end stopped going to the gym, so I haven't seen either

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lol I almost want to blow my vacation fund and buy that to spite them

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lol nice

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

"Shi" creator Billy Tucci is kind of a centrist dimwit, in case you were wondering.

https://twitter.com/BillyTucci/status/1131042974895362048

that stupid beard makes me question my own stupid beard, but then I realize than instead of a giant ridiculous cigar, I accentuate my beard with a stupid mohawk and that makes it okay.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

Are we talking giant spikes/fin, or just the stupid shaved sides?

Fin with close cropped sides

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, she just had an issue out where she specifically had menstruation as something that occurred in girls and boys.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

i continually hate that mags is The Trans Creator because shes problematic as gently caress

oh no, i thought she was good

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Weebs gonna weeb

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Archyduchess posted:

If the worst thing you can say about her videos is that they are somewhat elementary and introductory in order to reach people unfamiliar at all with feminism, maybe it isn't worth saying in the ComicsGate/Industry Terribleness Thread.

Yes, thank you. It's good to have basic stuff out there to introduce new concepts to people.

EDIT: also i made a city of heroes character names Antifa Sarkeesian so there's that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My only last experience is from watching TV and even I know you stand when addressing the court.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Sims is one of the depressingly few examples of a sincere apology.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's too bad, it's delightful. I hate that this guy approves of it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yup, that was a thing

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'd be happy if the updates were just limited to his legal stuff. As soon as I clicked on that video and saw it was a little girl I noped out before anything could happen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Archyduchess posted:

Come on, let's be better than this.

I feel it's fair to point out the hypocrisy, as long as it ends there.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Archyduchess posted:

Being a hypocrite is bad, but what useful distinction does highlighting (negatively) a woman's weight have to do with anything else? Is there anyone conceivably on the fence about this guy who would be like, "well, I thought it was fine for him to mock women for their appearance before, but now that I know that his wife isn't hot to me the scales have fallen from my eyes"?

As someone who spent a long time recovering from an eating disorder, that kind of rhetorical move is never as harmless as it can feel. It still aligns fatness with shame, and imposes a moral rubric onto the body in a reactionary way.

I get that it's an extremely prevalent thing still-- unfortunately, overweight people are still fair game for ridicule in a lot of media, and the popular imagination still hews to outdated conflations of fatness and class decadence-- but I think an integral part of thinking and speaking in progressive and leftist spaces is interrogating our shared language and cutting out the parts that are no longer any good.

Which is why I said, "if it ends there".

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No, it would be like pointing out the CHUDs calling ilhan Omar racist are in fact, actually racist. Ultimately, I don't care, so I'm not gonna defend this anymore. I apologize if I made Archy uncomfortable.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh no were we puppetmastered? I was about to reccomend better youtubes

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

Are there any anti-comicsgate youtubers? I know about the main guys like Shaun, Hbomb, Contra, etc. But those guys are more general use anti-nazi, and barely or never cover comicsgate stuff.

Is Vic "Animegate" at this point, or is he still just "vic?"

Every comic youtube I've ever watched has ranged from centrist to straight up sketchy, so I Stopped. I was just going to the breadtube required viewing subs.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

JThis guy Jose did a video on Comicsgate a whiel back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vthVmTnp80

But then he also did an hour-and-a-half video on how Secret Empire was actually good, so his judgement might be questionable.

This was literally who I was thinking of. I started watching that secret empire video but noped out pretty quick

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I mean, he's trying to come at it from a leftist perspective, but frankly it feels like he's giving the story way too much credit. Like, I can get what Spencer was probably going for from that video, but it doesn't excuse the execution being awful.

Okay, that's better. Are his videos generally leftist, because that was the first one I saw and it kept me from watching any others.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
how does that game have a writer, much less multiple ones? I thought it was just multiplayer bullshit. does she write charcter bios?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

Overwatch has an absurd amount of lore considering that almost none of it is actually in the game. There are a lot of trailers, animated shorts, and comics on the website that introduce and flesh out the cast.

Oh wow, I didn't know that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah, where's the lie?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gravy Jones posted:

I feel like this tweet I encountered while reading that lawyer's big Vic thread tbelongs in some kind of museum

https://twitter.com/BanchoX/status/1161603265588531202

This is someone who most definitely studied the blade

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is this person somehow tied to actual comics gate stuff, because otherwise it just seems like we're stalking some cringy weirdo.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
okay, but I really like the coloring?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I liked the Bobbi/Peter relationship and I also liked that she kicked him the gently caress out for being a sad sack child who couldn't get his poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Like, that's not a "famous" cover, but people know it. WHy would you do that?