Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

X-O posted:

Even the smallest of Stan Lee’s creations will be remembered decades even after I die. Nobody will give a poo poo about anything Maher has ever done years before he’s gone. If they even care now.

I legitimately hadn't heard his name til now, and still don't know who this man is or why people are interested in his opinions, so you're probably onto something there.

Edited to add: please don't tell me who he is, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It's a game rather than manga/anime, but some surprisingly excellent trans representation came out of Japan this year with Swery65's new platformer The Missing. It was a massive shock to see it better handled than many Western studios by a longshot. Things are changing everywhere- slower than they should be, but definitely.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Fangz posted:

I'm mostly amused that supposedly these guys don't know how to use Dropbox.

The pages are definitely done, and definitely exist. For definite. There are just technical difficulties which I won't go into but they, much like the pages, definitely exist.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Dawgstar posted:

I believe Uncle Ethan has also claimed 'print file problems.'

Which is odd considering the Kickstarter for Jawbreakers doesn't include a PDF version, so the only files will be print files. Knowing there's no digital version means you'd have been working for print the whole time- your colours are optimised for print, your page templates include bleed from the getgo... If your comic actually exists. Which it totally does, honest.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Also frankly it's easier than ever to get independent comics off the ground, so comic making options are now infinitely broader and more appealing than begging marvel to let you ink one of their fifteen spider man reboots.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
If you imagine his voice as J Jonah Jamesons' every time he rants about SJW Spiderman his tweets become kinda hilarious

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Vic situation is interesting because once it started it moved quickly, probably because of how many prominent VAs sided with the victims

It's been an open secret for literal years, which is why it snowballed so fast.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It's really worth underlining here that it isn't Kickstarter they're using, it's Indie "Get The Funds Even If You Don't Reach Goal" GoGo

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Since he launched his first one I've ran and fulfilled two entire comic projects

Edit: lol cyberfrog is meant to be under 50 pages long? bad at comics, good at scams

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I think most of his racism came from both ignorance and genuine curiosity. Like, the Blue Lotus is racist as hell against the Japanese, but for something written in 1935 by some who'd never been to Asia it's a pretty well done and balanced in its depiction of China and the Chinese.

There's a pretty good reason for that latter part

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/jekylldraws/status/1135601706811777027?s=19

I don't know who this is, but they have good art, so this is probably them losing commission money.

Nah, they're indie- All the con will lose will be their table cost. Cancelling like this hits the indie artist harder than the con, which is why it's a bold and meaningful move.

Also it is pretty telling that none of the people supporting Mignogna on twitter are actually involved in the con scene. That there secret was pretty fuckin' open.

Edit: the con won't even lose their table cost, the tables are non refundable

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 4, 2019

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Yep it's basically a mix of the standard White Man Defense SquadTM and people who think they're protecting Edward Elric instead of a creep who grabs teenager's arses

Dawgstar posted:

Well, Vic came up with Fullmetal Brotherhood when it got super big on Toonami and while you might laugh people were really into that show.
It's because it's genuinely an extremely good show, is the thing. That's because of Hiromu Arakawa, not Mignogna- but he positions himself in reach a lot more than she wishes to.

VVV ah yeah, read you wrong there. It's a sucky situation for them and I'm seeing other artists kinda stuck because they wanna pull out now but they're gonna lose their table money.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 4, 2019

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Try him on this one, maybe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKaiq1rnSMw

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It's not "a few extra bucks", the print cost difference between the US and China is such that those books wouldn't actually exist if they couldn't get the cheaper printing. US-based print costs for full-colour books are loving wild in the worst possible way. This is absolutely not a case of Scrooge hoarding a few spare pennies here and there.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 6, 2019

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
UK print costs are actually pretty reasonable for full-colour, even for small runs- just to throw that out there in case there's any brits reading this and despairing. I've compared prices with American friends before and the difference is pretty absurd.

Of course, that's pre-brexit thinking....

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Edge & Christian posted:

Hey man, Gene Simmons is a dirtbag but don't lump him in with Cyberfrog and Comicsgate...

The KISS comic actually came out. And it really did have their blood in it, they had a notary confirm it and everything.

KISS will sell you any trash in the world, but you get that trash.

Simmons' son, however, traced the manga Bleach and released it as his own :v:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Ryan North did a great job on Squirrel Girl's design. Beats the creepy clown get-up of the original.
Erica Henderson. Ryan North was the writer.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
We get a LOT of anti-trans stuff in our papers right now because they're all owned by chuds, and the people who read papers are older and often the first they hear about trans people is some loving awful dogshit "they're brainwashing the kids!!!" headline in the Mail, so it's really easy for them to take that onboard vs the slight work it takes to actually engage your brain and think beyond that, or, heaven forbid, actually talking to a trans person

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Lencho posted:

All of these answers make a lot of sense. It's always been weird to me that a lot of the british people spewing this poo poo is surprisingly leftist or at least left-leaning, so I don't really consider them in the same neoconservative/reactionary box as most chuds. gently caress Graham Linehan and J.K. Rowling tho

A lot of feminist rhetoric has been co-opted by TERFs to make it some kind of "trans women vs cis women" nonsense poo poo. Hence the F in TERF- there's some crafty yet hateful fuckers out there who've managed to make things less intersectional and incite their fellow cis women to start yelling about how trans women are "just men trying to get into our bathrooms", completely ignoring the existence of trans men, etc.

But that's why you see centre-left (emphasis on the centre) celebrities getting on board with it, and it's extra buoyed by the bad papers I mentioned earlier here in the UK.

And yes gently caress Linehan and Rowling. Utter ghouls.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Apologised? Did he? I found this:

quote:

Does he have any regrets? “I don’t want to go back and start erasing books I did,” he replies. “I don’t want to wipe out chapters of my own biography. But I’m not capable of that book again.”
which is a pretty loving weak "apology" for the hate crime of a book that was Holy Terror. "Oh well it was in the past, won't do it again" at best is pretending it was less terrible than it was, at worst is an acknowledgement of the fact that he wouldn't be able to get away with it now.
He worked on that book for something like five goddamn years- this wasn't a tweet he made off the cuff or an interview quote taken out of context, it was an entire book he brazenly sold with the stated intent of it being anti-Muslim propaganda, at a time when hate crime was absolutely off the charts.

Shortbox, on the other hand, are at the loving forefront of indie titles and are a huge boon to the UK Indie scene and comics in general. Their work is at the core of what Thought Bubble claims to stand for and to rate this old-rear end racist over her is utterly horrifying.

I wouldn't trade Shortbox for a hundred thousand Frank Millers.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 27, 2021

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
https://twitter.com/ThoughtBubbleUK/status/1420316131617804289

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
And taking poo poo from the alt-right crowd for it, of course

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Alaois posted:

i'm like 99% sure someone asked gail simone on twitter if she was driven off of this website by the awful terrible goon and she said no she just got bored

You may also be thinking of Kate Beaton here, who goons showed their usual exemplary behaviour to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
This guy....
https://twitter.com/zapfriend/status/1660412623882420229?s=46&t=raiYVj4UrCcfoGJY208c_Q