Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would rather an anime when the manga is finished, if it's indeed going to finish once they're done with this whole dungeon business. That'd allow for the best possible pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Can volume 6 just come out now please

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You're in luck! It comes out in November!

E: The 13th to be precise.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

That isn't now though!!!

Speaking of, what's the spoiler policy for this thread cause I just keep up with the volumes as they come out in English

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there is none, proceed with caution

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I assume Chilchuck remains a very good boy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Anora posted:

Judging by the hellscape that is this current time line, the people that will animate this show will be the studio that made Thundercats or Thermae Romae. It is also weird that this series has gone unanimated while SAO has three+ season and 4+ games now. I feel like they could just reskin an Atelier game and get something close, those a more indepth game would be deserved for this series.

Could the Author not want an anime, like the Azumanga guy doesn't for Yotsubato?

SAO has the advantage of being an LN that's targeted for a slightly younger and thus broader demographic so getting an anime adaptation was probably a safer bet in comparison. Anime is all about making money and marketing and while the story is solid, it would probably require a more personal effort and push to get an anime committee going to green light a series since there's not as much obvious merch opportunities (moe or bishounen characters specifically). Video games are an even bigger investment and gamble so I wouldn't hold your breath on that until after an anime is greenlit.

The entire process of getting an anime greenlit is partially a political process and partially an economic evaluation. On the latter end, properties with lots of cheesecake or moe characters and such are easy sells because they have loads of merch potential. On the former, professional or local groups might put in money to get it funded because they have some personal interest or investment in the subject matter being portrayed. There's also the case of the publisher itself just trying to push its own hot properties and that falls into both.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

Master Chill Chuck is a man of contrasts.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think anybody expected the series go full vore and have a chapter where they eat Chillchack, but I doubt anybody really minded.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
"Look, we revived him from his head, what were we supposed to do, let the whole rest of that corpse go to waste?"

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I read on average like 0.333 manga series a year and dungeon meshi is by far my favourite. The art, backgrounds, expressions etc are all great, there's no stupid braindead fanservice and there's an actual story and it progresses. It's like some kind of freak of nature.

thanks for reading my thoughts here's a meme

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
i want to be served to laios with tartar sauce and just a squeeze of lemon

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I mean, they ate those animated garden gnomes before, so a precedent was set.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

funnily enough he addresses this

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

funnily enough he addresses this

i hope Senshi taught him well

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: Y'know, just pretend I wrote nothing, because now that I read it more attentively, it reads off stupid and iffy. Nevermind.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 19, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Carry on, then.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
a new one page short was posted.

The mirror is powerful indeed. Mama Senshi is quite good as is Chil.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Huzzah! posted:

a new one page short was posted.

The mirror is powerful indeed. Mama Senshi is quite good as is Chil.

The dopey Laius word bubbles, Maizuru looking on in horror - there's a ton of storytelling squeezed into one panel.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It took me about 5 minutes to read that one page. Holy crap, literally everything on it is great.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty awesome! I checked out the author's page in Baka-Updates: Are any of her other works anywhere as cool as Dungeon Meshi?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It took me about 5 minutes to read that one page. Holy crap, literally everything on it is great.

Izu-
tsumi

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Pretty awesome! I checked out the author's page in Baka-Updates: Are any of her other works anywhere as cool as Dungeon Meshi?

All of her other works are anthology collections, but her short stories are amazing. She still emphasizes fantasy plots, but does modern fantasies as well as a few science fiction stories.

From 'Seven Little Sons of the Dragon'

From 'Terrarium in Drawer'

From 'The Dragon's School is on Top of the Mountain

Definitely give them all a read at your leisure.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hells yeah! :krad:

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
Yeah, pretty much everything she does is good. The short stories aren't as developed as Dungeon Meshi since they're not as long, but some people prefer them because they cover a wide variety of styles and tones. Kui has a lot of range, and she seems to challenge herself a lot.

Also this omake is an example of how much work she puts into everything. Pretty much every single entry in the contest was just a picture of the main characters with maybe a bit of text. Take, for example, the Hakumei & Mikochi one:

At most, there was a paragraph where the mangaka went into some more detail explaining it. As far as I remember though, none of them even came remotely close to the amount Kui Ryoko stuffed onto that page.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Which omake did that come from? Can't seem to reverse image search it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Terrarium in Drawer is awesome. As much as I love Dungeon Meshi, I'd love to see a long form SF manga from her.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HouseofGlass posted:

Yeah, pretty much everything she does is good. The short stories aren't as developed as Dungeon Meshi since they're not as long, but some people prefer them because they cover a wide variety of styles and tones. Kui has a lot of range, and she seems to challenge herself a lot.

Also this omake is an example of how much work she puts into everything. Pretty much every single entry in the contest was just a picture of the main characters with maybe a bit of text. Take, for example, the Hakumei & Mikochi one:

At most, there was a paragraph where the mangaka went into some more detail explaining it. As far as I remember though, none of them even came remotely close to the amount Kui Ryoko stuffed onto that page.
The top hat/cigar instead of a bow on Koharu is a real nice touch.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Brought To You By posted:

Which omake did that come from? Can't seem to reverse image search it.

Oh, it’s from the Reverse Fellows omake book that was released with the 8/18 issue of Harta. Every mangaka that contributes to Harta did a page in the book, Kui just did a crazy detailed page because she’s a workaholic. Reverse image search wouldn’t work for that Hakumei & Mikochi page because it only exists here (I haven’t released it yet officially, gonna do that later).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Didn't make the connection that you were a part of #EveryDayHeroes. Thanks for all your work, Dungeon Meshi and Hakumei are definitely two of the better manga I follow.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Didn't make the connection that you were a part of #EveryDayHeroes. Thanks for all your work, Dungeon Meshi and Hakumei are definitely two of the better manga I follow.

Thanks! Yeah, they're both great manga. I'd say that Harta is the best manga magazine running now, because it's got those two as well as Hinamatsuri, Otoyomegatari, and some interesting oneshots that unfortunately tend to fall between the cracks. I really think that one part of why Dungeon Meshi is so good is because Harta is the perfect magazine for Kui's style. It's a lot more relaxed of a release schedule so she can take her time and really fine-tune the story, and there's no page limit so she can make the story as long or as short as it needs to be.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The best one shot is the one where the students are making up the different nations. I love that one a lot.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I remember that one now that you mention it, but the one story (aside from short, short story) that i always clearly remember is the one where some people try to rescue a woman from perceived imprisonment and she's like "but why? no thanks"
It's only like 6 pages long, too, but there's so god drat much to unpack in these few pages.

also i guess the one with the nose sticks

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Important fanart that you forgot OP

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/softtaur/status/1055332946150776832

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

http://busket.tumblr.com/post/178271099618/delicious

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Dungeon Meshi chapter 49 is out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New dungeon meshi chapter got flash cooked to your table
https://mangadex.org/chapter/484015/1
That chapter went real dark with the cannibalism implications. Convenient that we had magical shapeshifting mushrooms as an excuse. Also the group just walked through the ring themselves so joke chapter next chapter?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

New dungeon meshi chapter got flash cooked to your table
https://mangadex.org/chapter/484015/1
lmao those wonderful idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
And of course they go and step in the circle :allears: