Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

nonbinary elf

The attackers on page 14 refer to the captain as 'they', so that might actually not be out of the question. I'm also not quite sure whether the shirtless elf is a man; the markings and lack of nipples kind of look like they underwent some sort of magical surgery. It really is extremely cool that this sort of nonstandard gender expressions seems to be a deliberate angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Of course, except for the comedy facial hair, he would have easily been as androgynous as any of the (theoretically) male Canaries, so...hey.

The elf versions of Laius and Chilchak certainly fit the look:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DekeThornton posted:

Kui is very very good at a lot of things, but the one thing that really stands out to me in her art is how good she is att drawing differences in apperance. Often even really good artists end up drawing most of their characters with a few very similar body types with a major case of sameface. Kui however is fantastic at givinga pretty much every character an unique and natural look with varying body types and distinctive facial features.

Yeah, absolutely. It's really impressive how many characters are easily identifiable just from seeing their eyes. That would be difficult to achieve even in a drawing style that's not as deliberately simple as Dungeon Meshi's. And all of those characters are still extremely expressive; you can almost always see the general mood they're in. And on top of that, Kui is also extremely good at panel composition.
A potential anime will be quite a task.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Izutsumi can't get comfy

I'll try not to spam the thread too much, I'm just grabbing the parts I think are fun piecemeal, since the normal TL group is taking on the whole project. If anyone has requests for bits they want to see in advance I'll give them a shot.
These are wonderful :3: Thank you!
I'd be interested in the parts about Marcille.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
That's a lot bleaker than I expected. Also doesn't inspire confidence in the Canaries as an organization that one of their conscripted members can just spend all of her allowance to fund her drug addiction and nobody does anything about it.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

He turns her on her side so she won't throw up and choke to death. :smith: :respek: :unsmith:
I just noticed that he also puts the pillow under her head :3:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Oh hey, it's Laios' future bf.
...Though I'm a bit worried about those "Murder" and "Assault" bulletpoints in the first image; I hope those are only related to the (presumably illegal) arena fighting.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Dog Kisser posted:

Holy poo poo she's amazing
The comparison pictures of the one Canary with and without make-up really show how well-considered every little line in her characters' faces is.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Wallrod posted:

Poor Namari needs to learn the phrase 'yes, i have a leg fetish and i'm proud of it'

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Mithrun is older than the other Canaries by about 40-50 years, except for Pattadol, who is the youngest by far at 82.
Huh, that kind of seems to indicate that elf society's views on what's acceptable to say in public changed rather rapidly by elf standards. Nice implied worldbuilding there.
Also, modern elves obviously still feel entitled to forcibly fix other peoples' problems without even telling them what these problems are, but it's okay because they totally don't consider those other people inferior anymore. There's probably a parable in there. (To be clear, I'm not ragging on inclusive language here. Especially when "inferior" is apparently a term that makes even Fleki look absolutely horrified.)

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

drat hien forget that dork and end up with benichidori
Shouldn't be too difficult for her, after all she totally doesn't have feelings for him, absolutely not, really!
I hope the ninjas get a spin-off manga at some point.

Snooze Cruise posted:

also lmao @ the nature of maizuru and shuro's fathers relationship
Especially the way they actually act like a middle-aged couple who've been together for probably more than a decade :allears:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
And none of it is even remotely her fault. I hope she ends up finding some huge treasure when the dungeon is inevitably upended by the unfolding events.

Yarn's outfit on the character sheet is amazing, by the way. The kindliest necromancer.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i liked the bit about their feelings on oysters. you get the feeling that little detail has come up plenty of times in their household
It's wonderful how many details about the characters' relationships with each other are crammed into these few textboxes and panels. I'm already looking forward to the rest of the Canaries.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Kabru and his party probably benefited the most out of all side-characters from Dungeon Meshi bible (at least so far, I have high hopes for Canaries). I didn't consider them very interesting outside of Kabru before, now I want spin-off where they are the main focus. :allears:
It took one page to change Dia from some nameless rando I kept forgetting about into someone I really want to get more screentime.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Donkringel posted:

That one really threw me for a loop. I'm so used to the "1000 year old dragon" trope I hadn't thought of the "14 year old halfling college student".
The most hilarious thing is that as the audience we know she's actually mostly right about 20-something halflings being fully-grown adults, but even toward us she still manages to make herself look skeevy as hell.
And then there's also the whole human trafficking thing, so I have rather little hope that she's anything else than a completely lovely person.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

ThingOne posted:

Legs for days
Looking forward to Namari's reaction.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

panko posted:

ahem. were you two just talking about scraps? because they’re really cool and useful actually. well, see ya.
I love that both options here would be entirely in-character for Senshi: That he understood the situation and offered some words of wisdom, or that he only overheard the last part and dropped some random veggie facts.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Its a perfect 10. Amazing story, characters, art, design work, everything.

ryoko kui is such a talent, man!!
Completely in agreement with this. And with being grateful for the great translation :)

This was an amazing ending. My only complaint is that I would have liked if Marcille's obvious feelings for Falin had actually made it from subtext to text; but everything else, from the visuals to the writing, is pretty much flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Laios' lovely monster in the kingdom banner :allears: