Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hello MMO HMO goons, if you are reading this it is likely you regard MMOs as like a special game genre that exists in a separate mental box from single player stuff and team based multiplayer games. for me its a persistent thing i like to have around for a few years that I can always log into and do something productive, irrespective of what I've got going on, where I switch up whatever I'm playing single/regular multiplayer wise fairly regularly

I haven't found a good enjoyable MMO to jump in, level, and raid / participate meaninguflly in group-oriented content with friends since RIFT came out in 2011 and its been turned into freemium garbage and will undoubtedly be gone soon. Legends of Ultima is very interesting but unpolished and I kinda bounced off it but will be trying it again in the next patch. SWTOR and STO suck rear end. ESO is bad, FFXIV and WoW are both expensive to catch up with, expansion wise, and languishing some

so are you guys even playing any persistent online games? if you are, what? will the genre ever be revitalized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

WoW, sometimes XIV. They are both great and the rest of the genre can just die at this point.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

ESO doesn't look too bad but I never could make any progress, it gets a bit boring quick.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
GW2 and FF14. Just started Stormblood content for the first time.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

nope

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Final Fantasy XI and XIV off and on. UO for a month or so every year? It's an over saturated market. It won't get better.
Thinking of trying Maple Story 2.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
maple story 2

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
World of Warcraft for now but it feels like WoW is approaching some kind of point of total collapse and it's becoming increasingly impossible to repair it no matter how much they paint over the cracks and repair the walls.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Scroll down and check out my amazing thread for the MMO of the year- The Lord Of The Rings Online

tensac
Jun 9, 2011

is it anything?
Just got back into WoW after a long break. New xpac is neat but the game needs to end and WoW 2 needs to come out because holy poo poo, 20? years of beta testing this loving thing already?!

Xaitil
Aug 5, 2009

Guild Wars 2. Great combat, classes, and no gear treadmill is what has kept me coming back to it.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Mechwarrior Online - Which is more out of habit to run a match or two inbetween work breaks than actually having fun playing it.
I was into Warframe but had to give that up as it started getting long in the tooth in terms of cost and trying to keep up with the Jones', the time commitment started to become too much although I still think its an excellent MMO.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Not playing anything at the moment.

I think of MMOs as being divided into two separate categories of games: competitive/PvP games and traditional PvE/content focused games. I like both, but there's nothing I'm super interested in right now. I'm starting to think that I don't have enough free time to meaningfully play the competitive ones anymore either.

I most recently played some Asheron's Call emulator server - I really enjoy the throwback memories / game setting / open world nature and loot system, but it's too plagued by multi-accounting and botting for my liking. Once you plateau at mid-to-high level, you basically need to be botting to get worthwhile drops and materials. So I called it at that point - level 200 or so.

I also took some time to play on the EQ P1999 blue server. Also a lot of fun (a lot of nostalgia) but the grind is way too harsh to be enjoyable, so I stopped around level 15.

I've tried to get into more modern MMOs (with the exception of WoW) and I find them way too theme-park-esque for my liking. Stories I don't care about, unconvincing and contrived background, and transparently boring level/gear curves. Seen enough MMOs to have mostly broken free of the skinner box, and that's all most MMOs are these days. Still waiting on something that breaks from the typical mechanics MMOs are currently stuck in.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No I just like to read funny stories about bad ones sometimes.

Slayerjerman posted:

Mechwarrior Online - Which is more out of habit to run a match or two inbetween work breaks than actually having fun playing it.
I was into Warframe but had to give that up as it started getting long in the tooth in terms of cost and trying to keep up with the Jones', the time commitment started to become too much although I still think its an excellent MMO.

Neither of these are MMOs.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Bieeanshee posted:

GW2 and FF14. Just started Stormblood content for the first time.

:same: Both are good in their own way.

FFXIV is like $20 to get started. It covers a month of play, and like 100 hours of gameplay before you need to buy any expansions.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Maple Story 2. It's very chill.

I'll resub to FFXIV in a heartbeat if/when they announce a Blue Mage class though.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Been playing legends of ultima and will probably play uo outlands soon. These are more like mud size things vs massive but beggars can’t be choosers.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not playing an MMO right now. I am playing DQ11 which has a couple mmo-like qualities, though.

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015
I was playing lineage 2 revolution on my tablet, its a pay to win grind fest like all free to play games these days. Other than that I just reactivated my eve online account, and am now searching for a corporation. I feel that the cyberpunk futuristic feel of mmos, especially eve is dead for me. They really went full dystopia in terms of greed and it really ruins any sense of immersion I had when I consistently get told by half naked anime girls that I need to purchase diamonds in order to progress through the game adequately. I feel the best times of gaming are over, now we're just waiting for an asteroid to finish off our planet for us all to wake up in the next simulation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Frog Act posted:

so are you guys even playing any persistent online games? if you are, what? will the genre ever be revitalized?

I can't remember the last time I saw [users browsing] in this subforum above the twenties.

Whether that is a reflection of the decline of SA or that of the MMO industry itself... well. Does it really even matter?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
My MMO journey this year.

Quit Everquest 1 Time Locked Progression server because I got tired of the very terrible people playing. People making GBS threads all over each other when together they couldn't muster the skill enough to gently caress a football and loving each other out of a twenty year old pixel sword.

Quit World of Warcraft - Battle for Azeroth. Don't like the way the game is panning out. Just quit cold turkey.

Had a little bit of game time left on my EQ account so currently seeing what the Everquest 2 time locked progression server is like.

Before that I bounced around here and there seeing if anything would hold my attention. Rift progression server, SWTOR, etc.

I really miss my old gaming friends and getting old sucks. One of them had a bad luck with hurricanes in Florida so waiting to see if he wants to play Lord of the Rings Online and run through the story just to see it once when he gets back online.

FFXIV gives me performance anxiety for some reason. I don't know why but every time I tank/heal in that game I bust out in a nervous sweat. The reflexes aren't as good as they used to be and I don't want to ruin everybodies day by being poo poo at the game. It's the only game that makes me feel that way in those roles.

A lot of older MMOs I wish I had invested a bit more into. DDO, LotRO just to see their stories. Rift to see raids. Lot of newer stuff I just can't grab on to. The Secret World looks great on paper but I can't get over the interface and janky movement. Wished Anarchy Online was more modern too. Always loved the world and lore.

Givin fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 16, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I can't stand maplestory 2's nauseating chibi aesthetic so I haven't given it a try. I bounced off P1999 for being just too much of an onerous grind

kloa posted:

:same: Both are good in their own way.

FFXIV is like $20 to get started. It covers a month of play, and like 100 hours of gameplay before you need to buy any expansions.

FFXIV for me is like the perfect execution of the generic theme park MMO in many ways, but I kinda ran out of steam around level like...60 something? 70? I got heavensward and got to almost the level cap for that expansion on my White Mage before quitting again. I enjoyed the healing sometimes, but running dungeons felt so impersonal and cookie cutter it really sapped them of the fun social elements I enjoy, like communication and group making and stuff. I know that is a problem inherent to modern games/LFG systems and not FFXIV's fault but burning through the entire story and then a bunch of forgettable dungeons in 30 minute spurts without talking to people who just zoomed through everything (unless they stopped to get mad about you being in there the first time) just felt like a reskinned WoW, when I really wanted, like, an easier version of FFXI with modern QoL stuff.

Beyond that I sometimes think about resubbing because I've heard good things about endgame, and that is what I really enjoy, especially raid healing and stuff. But the $40 expansion has kinda bad reviews right now and I got bored the last three times I played so idk

Right now I haven't played an MMO for real since I bought into the RIFT prime grift right at launch and got super burned. maybe I'll download Fallen Earth

https://www.gamersfirst.com/fallenearth/

it should be getting revamped sometime soon and I think it has some genuine potential

I was also looking at Fallout Online 2 but I assume its Russian garbage?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ESO and Guild Wars 2. I banked on the new WoW xpac providing hours of podcast playing time, but turns out it's poop and I need something else to do while listening to someone jabber about the 19th century. "Luckily" my commute got longer, which gives me more time to listen, so MMOs are not a top priority anymore.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
I played the maplestory 2 closed beta and then decided to get a gym membership instead of continuing to play the game

Weightlifting is like an MMO because everyone's grinding in the same room while not talking to each other and you know your favorite spot is gonna get taken by a guild of hardcore players

nerox
May 20, 2001

Givin posted:

Quit World of Warcraft - Battle for Azeroth. Don't like the way the game is panning out. Just quit cold turkey.

:same: I didn't even finish leveling to cap for the first expansion ever, because I got so bored of it.

I want to try Legends of Ultima or whatever it is, I just don't want to spend money on it cause all I will be doing is chasing that original UO high that has never been quite as good on any kind of emulated environment.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I loved Guild Wars 2 and played it on and off for 5 years but I feel like I'm at the point where I'm burned out of the game. Loved it at the beginning but ready to see what they could pull off for a Guild Wars 3 (which probably won't happen for another 7 years or so).

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

BexGu posted:

I loved Guild Wars 2 and played it on and off for 5 years but I feel like I'm at the point where I'm burned out of the game. Loved it at the beginning but ready to see what they could pull off for a Guild Wars 3 (which probably won't happen for another 7 years or so).

Can I have your stuff/account?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I'm mainly playing warframe now...i've all been burned out on mmos.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

What is warframes core progress thing like? I was kinda frustrated with it initially, it offered me a lot of random missions and opportunities to unlock a seemingly endless range of confusing things that I imagine would become clear later but was initially pretty offputting. I also didn't get to play with anyone else despite playing for a solid three or four hours, it felt very single player

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

BfA is so loving trash I switched to ESO. I love Elder Scrolls a lot so I can put up with some things that I dislike about it, overall the experience is good so far

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I still have some MMOs in the back of my mind that I might go back to, but lately I've been replacing MMOs with single-player games instead. For example, I love having huge boss battles, which raids do deliver, but it can be so tough to organize and, even if you do find other people, victory/failure can feel so out-of-your-control as it relies on you trusting others to perfectly memorize a synchronized dance, in a way. So, instead, I've found myself playing games like Monster Hunter World, which cuts out all of the annoying stuff and takes you straight to the boss battles, along with capable AI partners and skill-based gameplay. Dragon's Dogma is another cool game similar to that. It's probably because a lot of MMOs lately just feel like boring single-player RPGs, in which case I'd rather just play a single-player RPG, which will generally be more tightly-designed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waiting for WoW Classic.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Waiting for WoW Classic.

Just slam your nuts in a drawer and you can experience the feeling of classic wow right now!

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I'm in the beta for Camelot Unchained, but I've yet to log in a single time because the tests are only 2 to 3 hours at a time and I never check my e-mail to see the dates.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kak posted:

I'm in the beta for Camelot Unchained, but I've yet to log in a single time because the tests are only 2 to 3 hours at a time and I never check my e-mail to see the dates.

It's not really a game yet and they've got enough hardcore nutters that you don't need to bust your hump clicking three buttons for a few hours a week.

The longer I go without playing an MMO on the regular the less interested I am in going back to one. It's an interesting bit of psychology, at least on my end. Every time I think "I could play X MMO to do Y" I think about the dailies (gently caress dailies) and all the other poo poo I'd have to do because all my MMO interests are well into their current xpac and it just immediately drains my interest. Even if I didn't have to catch up on one of a dozen gear curves I can't really identify more than one or two things I'd want to do in each of those games and all the rest of the games activities are just so unappealing.

I'm free, I guess.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 20, 2018

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I still go back to a few of them occasionally: FFXIV, GW2, WoW, and SWToR, but I generally play for about an hour and log. It used to bug me until I realized I just don't have the time or care to devote 8+ hours a day to "living" in another world, and I think that's the appeal to most people that play MMOs. I just do a couple things and then turn my attention to something else and try to be more productive on my end with making music or game dev poo poo instead of worrying about my gear level or "missing out".

I find myself more interested in the fluff in these games lately as well - the ones that let you play musical instruments, set up multiple wardrobe sets, or just generally chatting up random people and going on an RP walk journey 5 maps over. That's more fun to me lately at least.

desudrive fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 20, 2018

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

nope

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

clone on the phone posted:

Just slam your nuts in a drawer and you can experience the feeling of classic wow right now!

Classic WoW had a different feel, it as as much/moreso about the journey and only later did everything become all about the end-game/level cap only.

That being said I agree it's gonna be a brutal and not entirely pleasant experience compared to modern game settings. So many people are gonna have their rose tinted goggles just knocked right off.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Classic WoW had a different feel, it as as much/moreso about the journey and only later did everything become all about the end-game/level cap only.

That being said I agree it's gonna be a brutal and not entirely pleasant experience compared to modern game settings. So many people are gonna have their rose tinted goggles just knocked right off.

Classic WoW was pretty toned down compared to the MMOs that proceeded it from what I remember. You didn't lose XP on death, you didn't lose gear/loot on death, and questing was pretty simple. It wasn't the crazy difficult game so many people now make it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

dkj posted:

Classic WoW was pretty toned down compared to the MMOs that proceeded it from what I remember. You didn't lose XP on death, you didn't lose gear/loot on death, and questing was pretty simple. It wasn't the crazy difficult game so many people now make it out to be.

Hunters started out as a melee class and didn't get ranged weapons until level 10 and had to basically give up one bag slot for ammo. Likewise with rogues not getting dual wield until 10. You didn't lose XP but you did get a big chunk of experience debt where you only earned 1/2 experience (that decreased as you rested/logged off so it was admittedly a good "go take a break" mechanic). Classic WoW is a very different beast than the streamlined game we now know. And I wonder how many people are gonna find they actually like what they find.

On the plus side it didn't have Warlords of Draenor and the launch of BfA dragging it down. On the other hand it didn't have kung-fu pandas yet...

I've read a couple of the dev journals the Blizzard crew have released though which have been kinda interesting with "Okay, knowing what we do now, what do we streamline?" focusing on some of the behind the scenes stuff like how the game's backend manages spells with multiple effects.