Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
some corporations gonna get it,

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/25/us/group-invests-5-million-to-hedge-bets-in-lottery.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Got his odds down to 1 in 180,000 or so. Not too bad.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

please dont doxx me

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

guillotine.

I gotta get a ticket after work tonight.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Burt Sexual posted:

What’s the over under for me winning? I will buy 2 tickets if it increases my over.

I think this is the exact part that breaks people's brains.

2 tickets doubles your chances. 200% more likely. But normal situations where people weigh their odds are like 1/5 poo poo, like Mcdonalds trick r treat thing out now. 1/4 wins, you buy 4 items and you're pretty likely to win a free small fry or w/e.

But the size of the lottery numbers is not comprehensible. You literally can't rationally compare 1/180,000 vs 1/360,000,000. There's no rate of accidents, disease survival, sport team winning, etc that's even close.

But people drop $20 instead of $2 because they're 10x more likely! #smh

naem
May 29, 2011

just like, buy one ticket and enjoy some brief butterflies in your stomach maybe

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I think this is the exact part that breaks people's brains.

2 tickets doubles your chances. 200% more likely. But normal situations where people weigh their odds are like 1/5 poo poo, like Mcdonalds trick r treat thing out now. 1/4 wins, you buy 4 items and you're pretty likely to win a free small fry or w/e.

But the size of the lottery numbers is not comprehensible. You literally can't rationally compare 1/180,000 vs 1/360,000,000. There's no rate of accidents, disease survival, sport team winning, etc that's even close.

But people drop $20 instead of $2 because they're 10x more likely! #smh

It's also total crap how much it pays out for small wins.

Mega # is $2
1 number plus mega is $4.

Odds are 1 in 37 and 1 in 89.

Think about that. You pay $2. 1 time in 37 you get that $2 back. That's stupid. 1 in 89 you get $4. That's even worse. $2 for $74 spent. $4 for $178 spent. Insanity. No wonder the jackpots grow so high so consistently now.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I bought $80 in tickets (office pool) and we won $4.

Rolled the $4 back in for tomorrows drawing. Told my boss if I win he'll get notice. He'll notice I don't show up to work anymore.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

revmoo posted:

I bought $80 in tickets (office pool) and we won $4.

Rolled the $4 back in for tomorrows drawing. Told my boss if I win he'll get notice. He'll notice I don't show up to work anymore.

He might not though.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Mega # is $2

Odds are 1 in 37

This is why though, cause 1/37 is feasable, amd buying 2x means 1/18. It tricks you into thinking buying 2 is doubling your odds in some meaningful way. 20 tickets is 20/37!!! Iknow its lower, but no one sits and calculates it correctly, thus more of the loving people over with stats.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

This is why though, cause 1/37 is feasable, amd buying 2x means 1/18. It tricks you into thinking buying 2 is doubling your odds in some meaningful way. 20 tickets is 20/37!!! Iknow its lower, but no one sits and calculates it correctly, thus more of the loving people over with stats.

My word!
Can you explain how coin flips work, too?!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Big Beef City posted:

My word!
Can you explain how coin flips work, too?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOwLEVQGbrM

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Figure out the smallest amount of money I can donate to get something named after me, and get as many things named after me as possible

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
hire attractive young models to walk around New York and London wearing chainmail hauberks, briefly convincing people that they're fashionable and creating a short-lived but baffling fad.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'd recriuit a team of elite criminals to break into Notch's house and steal all his stale candy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
build stonehenges with driving distance of major American cities, for the benefit of local witches

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
go to a poor apartment building and slip an envelop with like 5000 bucks through every mail slot and drastically change the lives of everyone there while spending a minute fraction of my own wealth

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

go to a poor apartment building and slip an envelop with like 5000 bucks through every mail slot and drastically change the lives of everyone there while spending a minute fraction of my own wealth

5000 bucks don't fit through a apartment bank mail slot because the mail is a part of the system.

naem
May 29, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

*news report*

“Meth fueled super orgy enters fifth consecutive week today at local affordable housing project”

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Guy Goodbody posted:

I’d start doing random poo poo like that. Not a bad idea. Slip homeless people a grand every now and then, depending on my mood at the time.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'd build/buy a series of apartment buildings in world capitals that I like and lease the rooms out for free for five year spans to local aspiring writers (also I've obv have an apartment to stay in if I wished it's for me lolol but the govts gotta give me visa IF I WANT ONE)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Go to Vegas and hire out a bunch of the prozzies as bang maids for a lucky nursing home for that month

Maybe get some gigolos out of Cirque for the old ladies

Rename the nursing home Stephen Paddock's Thousand Loads

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
reintroduce wolves into Britain

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
get a goth gf

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
start a charity dedicated to helping troubled youth build, paint, and play with their very own Warhammer 40,000 armies

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

Mega # is $2

Odds are 1 in 37 and 1 in 89.

Think about that. You pay $2. 1 time in 37 you get that $2 back. That's stupid. 1 in 89 you get $4. That's even worse. $2 for $74 spent. $4 for $178 spent. Insanity. No wonder the jackpots grow so high so consistently now.

The odds are horrid which is why I only throw a few dollars I won't miss at it when jackpots get huge. I'd rather have a nonzero chance than a zero chance but because the chances are horrid I don't bank on it and play infrequently. Probably the main thing that drives lotto sales in general is hope. I used to work in a convenience store and you have no idea how many broke as gently caress people would come in desperately hoping that they could win some kind of big prize. It was literally the only hope they had. It was heartbreaking to be honest but this was also in the heart of the rust belt where absolutely loving everything sucks otherwise.

As for what I'd do with it...well I guess I'd pay for Lowtax's spine and get a nicer computer maybe I don't know. Pay off my car or something?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Start a stock footage company that specializes in footage of cars going off cliffs.

Any kind of car, from Acuras to Volvos. We pushed it off a cliff and filmed it and you can use the footage in your movie for a small fee.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an idea: diarrhea shelf

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Bought a few tickets a couple hours ago. Suck it losers! I'm gonna be riiiiiiiiiiiich! :slick:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kuato posted:

I’d start doing random poo poo like that. Not a bad idea. Slip homeless people a grand every now and then, depending on my mood at the time.

If you are even seeing homeless people, you are doing something wrong. I mean, maybe as your driver shuttles you from one location to another you'll see someone out the window.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bought one for my local lotto. Odds aren't quite as lovely as the Powerball or Mega Millions, but it's still probably $1 down the drain.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

binge crotching posted:

Bought one for my local lotto. Odds aren't quite as lovely as the Powerball or Mega Millions, but it's still probably $1 down the drain.

The Irish Lotto used to have a very small number of numbers and is one of the ones that was bought out from time to time before they changed it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'd buy Picasso's bones.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
what do you think old man lowtax would sell the forums for?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The odds are horrid which is why I only throw a few dollars I won't miss at it when jackpots get huge. I'd rather have a nonzero chance than a zero chance but because the chances are horrid I don't bank on it and play infrequently. Probably the main thing that drives lotto sales in general is hope. I used to work in a convenience store and you have no idea how many broke as gently caress people would come in desperately hoping that they could win some kind of big prize. It was literally the only hope they had. It was heartbreaking to be honest but this was also in the heart of the rust belt where absolutely loving everything sucks otherwise.

Statistics are part of my job and I buy one every now and then. I'll never understand the look of confusion some pretentious dicks give when they hear this and they're like "but you know the odds". If you can't get $2 (like a candy bar's) worth of enjoyment thinking about what you'd do with the money then just smdh

I do find I'm more likely to buy one when I'm less satisfied with my life situation

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DrPossum posted:

Statistics are part of my job and I buy one every now and then. I'll never understand the look of confusion some pretentious dicks give when they hear this and they're like "but you know the odds". If you can't get $2 (like a candy bar's) worth of enjoyment thinking about what you'd do with the money then just smdh

I do find I'm more likely to buy one when I'm less satisfied with my life situation

+Med EV

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DrPossum posted:

what do you think old man lowtax would sell the forums for?

1 million dollars would do it. He'd be glad to be rid of it and able to do something else. That's just a guess, though.

He could have sold it for multiple millions of dollars 10 years ago.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

1 million dollars would do it. He'd be glad to be rid of it and able to do something else. That's just a guess, though.

He could have sold it for multiple millions of dollars 10 years ago.

I'd pay him 10 million for the forums, and then hire him to do the exact same stuff he's doing now. Then I'd track down Radium and hire him to redesign the forums.

Chaos reigns.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Lowtax is radium. Don't you get it?

Lowtax. Is. Radium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Buy the rights to Doctor Who.

Have it explore dark sexual themes every drat week.

• Locked thread