Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

Being in the right place, at the right time is every losers lazy explanation for success of other people. Not handed Silver spoon success , but any.

William Gates the Third went to some of the first and only schools in the country that had computer labs? Just sayin' it's not like they just stumbled across some hardware one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

Being in the right place, at the right time is every losers lazy explanation for success of other people. Not handed Silver spoon success , but any.

this thread is about paul allen, not tha mods.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

In 1975, in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Allen and Gates began marketing a BASIC programming language interpreter.[17] Allen came up with the original name of "Micro-Soft," according to a 1995 Fortune magazine article.[26]

In 1980, after Microsoft had committed to deliver IBM a disk operating system (DOS) for the original IBM PC, although they had not yet developed one, Allen spearheaded a deal for Microsoft to purchase QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System), written by Tim Paterson, who, at the time, was employed at Seattle Computer Products.[27][28] As a result of this transaction, Microsoft was able to secure a contract to supply the DOS that would eventually run on IBM's PC line. This contract with IBM proved the watershed in Microsoft history that led to Allen's and Gates' wealth and success.[17] Allen effectively left Microsoft in 1982 after receiving a Hodgkin's lymphoma diagnosis.[17][29]

Gates reportedly asked Allen to give him some of his shares to compensate for the higher amount of work being performed by Gates.[30][31] According to Allen, Gates said since he "did almost everything on BASIC", the company should be split 60–40 in his favor. Allen agreed to this arrangement, which Gates later attempted to amend to 64–36.[32] In 1983, Gates tried to buy Allen out at $5 per share; however, Allen refused and left the company with his shares intact. This proved critical to Allen's becoming a billionaire after Microsoft went public.[32][33]

Amazing accomplishments :rolleyes:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

phasmid posted:

Sometimes. There are plenty of people who changed the course of history, but I don't know how much that applies to already emerging technologies and their usefulness. In some cases, it is very much opportunity knocking and distinct from pure genius. Just my two cents, but this guy ain't gonna take credit for the whole PC revolution. No single man can. It was the work of decades and we could easily say that WE are in the right place and right time to reap the benefits.

Agreed. But these guys saw an opportunity to make a dip switch table machine into something more. And did it. We all don’t have that in our bloodstream, or mindset, or business acumen at age 20. They were not idiots that got lucky.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

Agreed. But these guys saw an opportunity to make a dip switch table machine into something more. And did it. We all don’t have that in our bloodstream, or mindset, or business acumen at age 20. They were not idiots that got lucky.

Bill Gates did that not Paul Allen

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Dude hosed over one of the best defensive players in the NFL and as an NFL owner was a poo poo bag by default. I hope he's in hell right now along with Al Davis and Art Rooney :colbert:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Benny the Snake posted:

Dude hosed over one of the best defensive players in the NFL and as an NFL owner was a poo poo bag by default. I hope he's in hell right now along with Al Davis and Art Rooney :colbert:

I bet even Satan himself looks at Al Davis and says "This motherfucker..."

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blue Train posted:

Bill Gates did that not Paul Allen

Pm me your landscape changing idea. I got money and attorneys.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

Footballs

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Sportsball is serious business, nerd

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

Sportsball is serious business, nerd

It is business, I’ll give you that. Does it change the landscape of all business, no.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

what about grass that cuts itself

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

haljordan posted:

what about grass that cuts itself

Just like your momma.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I mean, sure, it's not like Paul Allen was some dummy that landed in a pile of money. He put in the work with Gates starting in high school.

But it also wasn't a Jobs-Woz situation where the "idea guy" flogged the "nuts and bolts guy" for all it was worth. Jobs didn't know poo poo about computers himself, he just knew what people wanted from technology and how to market it to them.

Anyway, Bill was the idea guy AND the nuts n bolts guy; he just knew he couldn't do it all himself and needed someone to bounce ideas off of and help out (stealing others' code). Once Bill met Ballmer to handle the business stuff, Allen was superfluous. It's not like he was some amazing thought leader when he was still at Microsoft.

Allen's post-Microsoft life was much more interesting anyway. He was a "good" billionaire, as these things go, in that he dabbled in all sorts of projects and business ventures, made philanthropic contributions, and lived it up in the meantime with guitars and yachts.

Still doesn't excuse loving over Earl or donating to Republican reelection campaigns, though.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i wonder where paul allen would want to be burried?? i mean he could have willed it that he gets buried at sea or even in SPACE

hell if i died that rich i'd have each limb buried in a different place

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

What a piece of poo poo. Good riddance.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Benny the Snake posted:

You mean Al "changed race relations for the better forever in the NFL and elsewhere" davis?

That Al Davis? Or a different one?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

You mean Al "changed race relations for the better forever in the NFL and elsewhere" davis?

That Al Davis? Or a different one?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So yes the one I'm referring to who managed to look pretty rough at the stupidly young age of *squints at notecard* 82 in that photo which should cause him to be damned to hell.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
this was his plane btw

rip dr evil
rip mini me

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Booty Pageant posted:

this was his plane btw

rip dr evil
rip mini me

This thing baffles me.
Even knowing what they want it for I still don't loving get it.

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747

fruity no gay fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 17, 2018

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Booty Pageant posted:

this was his plane btw

rip dr evil
rip mini me

Too much money and a lot of the dumb poo poo in your notebook comes to life when it should just go in the trash.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

fruity no gay posted:

all that money and no kids

poor guy

Yes.
Truly.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

fruity no gay posted:

all that money and no kids

poor guy

sounds loving amazing

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chinatown posted:

sounds loving amazing

Goon dream, but minus the business acumen

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747

fruity no gay fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 17, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's a nice plane

For clowns to fly in at the circus

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

That's a nice plane

For clowns to fly in at the circus

the paul allen circus

featuring cybernetically enhanced whales

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Feetball :eng101:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

A dick that sucks itself. I'll purchase the software from a company that has already written it. I've now done as much work as Paul Allen, I'll take my billions of dollars now.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Feed me an "I'm gay" kitten

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Paul Allen is in London. I had lunch with him last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Paul Allen is in London. I had lunch with him last week.

You had lunch with a ghost :spooky:

• Locked thread