Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

If I pledge to end nothing-matters and dems-bad chat in the Trump thread through probe communism, does that raise or lower my polling numbers

I will personally direct GOTV campaigns for you if you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I think the issue is that it ought to be a discussion. If two people are having dems are bad chat but it's an actual discussion with actual effort, I think that should be allowed to happen, while unfunny driveby posting should be punished.

I'd also add that pre-emptive bitching about dems bad posting should also catch a slap. If you want it gone you gotta kill it on both ends.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'd also add that pre-emptive bitching about dems bad posting should also catch a slap. If you want it gone you gotta kill it on both ends.
:agreed:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah, that's why I wasn't specific about who is doing the unfunny driveby shitposting. There's a lot of snide passive aggressive bullshit because people really want to have primarychat but are too chickenshit to start it.

On the other hand, people like Vital Signs generally put effort into discussing it when it comes up, and yet he(?) gets punished a bunch for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lightning Knight posted:

On the other hand, people like Vital Signs generally put effort into discussing it when it comes up, and yet he(?) gets punished a bunch for it.

Putting effort into doing a bad thing is still bad.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Paracaidas posted:

:matters: and Dems are a Waste chat are fine. Sometimes things aren't important and, at other times (quite often, given they hold zero branches of government) Dems fail to achieve their goals.

Shitposts on the former are adequately covered by the rarely enforced "effort being met with no effort" rule, while the history of purges indicate the moderation team can accurately distinguish between those who bring hot takes spoiling for a fight with shitlibs and those who can discuss the topics without devolving into "actually, Dems are failing because they are beholden to their donors and thus want GOP victories" nonsense.

Honestly I feel like this rule needs to just be removed from the OP because its so rarely enforced that the very rare times when somebody catches a probe for it just seem arbitrary. If the effort/no effort rule isn't going to be vigorously and evenly enforced it shouldn't be there.

Also its really apparent that a significant number of posters here mostly want D&D megathreads to be a place you go to read news articles and tweets that other people post as opposed to a forum where you do original research and then come argue about poo poo. Somebody was complaining in the Russia thread a few days ago that it took an entire day for some breaking news to get mentioned in thread, as though the purpose of a forum called "debate and discussion" is to get breaking news rather than, you know, argue about stuff.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I vote the candidate who promises the most hell-purges

*Brushes off NKVD uniform* I think that can be arranged...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The core problem is that the Trump thread isn't a discussion thread, it's just a thread for TV/IVing political news. That's how it's moderated, and that's the thread regulars treat it. But it's not clearly marked, so people go in there to try to Debate And Discuss and end up just getting frustrated.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm for whoever would do something about lovely lazy white noise posting. Wish the "effort being met with no effort" rule was enforced more, is it just a matter of people not using it for reports, or things tend to get too subjective, or what?

Edit: I usually disagree with him but Ardennes sticks out to me as someone that seems sane and reasonable and earnest

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 18, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

This also extends to "Wow, dems are so great!" bait posts

Main Paineframe posted:

The core problem is that the Trump thread isn't a discussion thread, it's just a thread for TV/IVing political news. That's how it's moderated, and that's the thread regulars treat it. But it's not clearly marked, so people go in there to try to Debate And Discuss and end up just getting frustrated.

:agreed: if you want to be a TVIV thread for just reacting to Trump posts, fine, but mark it that way and treat it that way and don't try to have any kind of actual discussion in it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cicero posted:

Edit: I usually disagree with him but Ardennes sticks out to me as someone that seems sane and reasonable and earnest

This too and Lightning Knight.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LightningKnight is a nice guy, seconding him because I want to see him go mad with power :newdanger:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ardennes and Lightning Knight both seem like they have the temperament. I don't know if he posts enough or hangs around the right threads enough to necessarily be ideal but I'd also suggest Dreylad, who is a CanPol regular, would be another person who is generally even handed and smart enough for the job.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I know she has had her name mentioned already a few times, but Crow Jane gets my vote as well.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, that's why I wasn't specific about who is doing the unfunny driveby shitposting. There's a lot of snide passive aggressive bullshit because people really want to have primarychat but are too chickenshit to start it.

It's mostly annoying because we have the thunderdome/cspam for dembad chat, and the nothing matters dudes are almost always repeating the same poo poo. It's boring threadfiller for a thread that's already way too fast

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

It's mostly annoying because we have the thunderdome/cspam for dembad chat, and the nothing matters dudes are almost always repeating the same poo poo. It's boring threadfiller for a thread that's already way too fast

Except for anything can get labeled as "nothing matters." E.g. saying Collins was going to vote for Kavanaugh was labeled as "nothing matters."

Its a thread that just today was chatting about Michael Phelps eating habits. If we're talking about removing boring threadfiller, maybe we can start with the constant non-political derails before we remove any comment that speaks negatively about the future or Democrats?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I vote the candidate who promises the most hell-purges

I promise if elected I will be too lazy to read any report and the report button will become a magical sixer device to be active about ten hours after you press it when I get around to checking the forum.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

WampaLord posted:

:agreed: if you want to be a TVIV thread for just reacting to Trump posts, fine, but mark it that way and treat it that way and don't try to have any kind of actual discussion in it.
How many first time offenders/newposters have eaten more than a sixer for bad Dem chat? That oft-punished regulars cannot help but reach for the same hot stove they've repeatedly been burned by seems like more of a posting issue than a moderation one.

As to your and Trabs points about actual discussion in the thread: The nonPol derails are indeed insufferable (much like my workposting:rimshot:). Past that, all Trump and Trump adjacent political topics are fair game for discussion, save for one. A topic which has multiple threads in the subforum(s) dedicated to it, and is welcome in nearly every other one. And even this topic is often broached without punishment provided it's not by someone with a lengthy history of making GBS threads up the thread on the topic or a clear bait post.

A modest proposal for the new mod/next purge: rather than banning Fulchrum, Eff, LT2012, mcmagic, etc, train them to USPol and Thunderdome to make sure the succdem stock remains plentiful, and watch as Trumpthread disruption minimizes.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rask has politely declined so keep the votes and/or names coming. i'd prefer someone who isn't a current or previous mod, also.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Also think Ardennes would be a good mod.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Raskolnikov38, Ardennes, and/or Lightning Knight would be great. I would know - I've been here since 2004, have made a lot of very lovely posts, and would therefore know what constitutes a good mod.

e: I also know how to spell "Lightning.":downs:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 19, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

This too and Lightning Knight.

By that measure I think you'd be a good mod BrandorKP :3: I also like that you say you've never reported anyone ever, which is definitely a positive attribute.

I don't know, there's a certain kind of poster who thinks that posting an unpopular opinion is necessarily trolling. I'm not sure what motivates these people because this would be a rather tedious forum if everyone just agreed with each other on everything, but whatever it is I hope the new mod won't give them the time of day.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Squalid posted:

I don't know, there's a certain kind of poster who thinks that posting an unpopular opinion is necessarily trolling. I'm not sure what motivates these people because this would be a rather tedious forum if everyone just agreed with each other on everything, but whatever it is I hope the new mod won't give them the time of day.

I agree with this, the forum name includes "debate" for a reason.

Also consider me a vote for Lightning Knight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

Ardennes and Lightning Knight both seem like they have the temperament. I don't know if he posts enough or hangs around the right threads enough to necessarily be ideal but I'd also suggest Dreylad, who is a CanPol regular, would be another person who is generally even handed and smart enough for the job.

Drewjitsu too, he is a Good Poster who tells us cool stuff about laws and stuff!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Squalid posted:

By that measure I think you'd be a good mod BrandorKP :3: I also like that you say you've never reported anyone ever, which is definitely a positive attribute.

Unpopular opinions are one thing if they're backed up by any verifiable fact and the poster is arguing in good faith.

Unfortunately, you see precious little of that here, since trolling and/or outright lying is far more attractive a proposition.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Squalid posted:

I'm not viable for a couple reasons. Ain't got time for that poo poo (small childern, long work hours, only phone post) is number one.

Number two is... how can I say this? Ever read a TB post and go holy poo poo she's angry? I experience that kind of emotional intensity. Now I got very lucky (and i didn't realize how lucky until recently ) and got taught to cope with it and function in society. But that was a long road, and when I was younger I was a handful. Imagine if your normal state was like being on cocaine. I can have that much intensity and energy all the time. Current events and the stress of maintaing work / life balance are fraying my ability to keep the veneer up.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

BrandorKP posted:

Number two is... how can I say this? Ever read a TB post and go holy poo poo she's angry? I experience that kind of emotional intensity. Now I got very lucky (and i didn't realize how lucky until recently ) and got taught to cope with it and function in society. But that was a long road, and when I was younger I was a handful. Imagine if your normal state was like being on cocaine. I can have that much intensity and energy all the time. Current events and the stress of maintaing work / life balance are fraying my ability to keep the veneer up.

Sounds like you're the commissar we deserve

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Squalid posted:

Agreeing with everything here.

PT6A posted:

Drewjitsu too, he is a Good Poster who tells us cool stuff about laws and stuff!

Very true, Drewjitsu would also make a great CanPol IK.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BrandorKP posted:

Imagine if your normal state was like being on cocaine. I can have that much intensity and energy all the time. Current events and the stress of maintaing work / life balance are fraying my ability to keep the veneer up.

The anime hot blooded mod we've all been waiting for.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

Very true, Drewjitsu would also make a great CanPol IK.

When Helsing and I agree on something, that poo poo has like a 99.9% chance of being inarguably correct :v:

Honestly though, the CanPol thread could probably be modded by a script that just probates ChairMaster whenever he posts in it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

R. Dieovich posted:

rask has politely declined so keep the votes and/or names coming. i'd prefer someone who isn't a current or previous mod, also.

Vote changed from KM to eke out.

Zachack posted:

Somewhat serious answer: Leon Trotsky with the caveat that he is no longer allowed to post in D&D other than to take mod-action or answer questions directed at him, punishable by permaban.

Or this.

Kith fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 19, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bring back Tiny Brontosaurus

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leon is always attempting to stick to factual assertions. He's like a punishment for sloppy thought.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I propose a Freaky Friday compromise:

swap mod teams between Games and DnD.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

i would never subject the mod team of games to the horrors of DnD

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

actual suggestion

no one will ever support D&D mods so just make an anonymous mod and get someone who did not ask for the job to help yall

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

actual suggestion

no one will ever support D&D mods so just make an anonymous mod and get someone who did not ask for the job to help yall

I'd like to suggest the account name Zen Debate Robot if this goes forward to implementation.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Discendo Vox posted:

I like Video Graves too much to subject them to this horror. Isn't it enough they have to deal with the WoW Lore thread?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Zil posted:

I like Video Graves too much to subject them to this horror. Isn't it enough they have to deal with the WoW Lore thread?

Video Games is a saint and is cool and good and my friend, he does not deserve this. It's bad enough that he has to keep coming into WoW Lore and telling people to stop calling each other Nazis over which faction they support.

Crow Jane would be a good choice. She's chill and doesn't get into the mud very often, plus her avatars are always related to Christina Hendricks and I've got a tv crush on her :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I nominate Da Share Z0ne admin and/or Guy Goodbody.

I feel their rule would be tough but fair.

Crow Jane if she'll do it

• Locked thread