Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Rarity posted:

Mandy tweeted about it too. It's hilarious how badly they're loving up this show.

What should they have done? A 22 match Big Egg Wrestling Universe show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
try not to cram everyone onto a single ppv and give some folks a day off

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
As a parallel to another one of Trump's Tweets let's all take a minute and remember how WWE and specifically HHH spent the better part of a decade calling Lillian Garcia a horse.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I like how Bryan Alvarez was defending the battle royal on WOL today by saying that if it weren't for this, none of the women in it would be on the card. :psyduck:

Uh, its WWE's fault for not building compelling feuds for the talented women actually in the Battle Royal. I mean if you wanted to put Lana, Dana, Carmella, etc in the BR, that's fine. But when you throw people like Asuka, Ember, etc into it, you start to piss people off. Because both Asuka and Ember deserve singles matches. Sasha, Bayley, Asuka, and Ember have done a lot more to improve the image of Women's Wrestling in WWE over the loving Bella Twins. Or Trish/Lita.

Also Torrie Wilson is in it for some reason. Why? I don't loving know.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

WWE should focus on building to one PPV at a time instead of 2 or 3.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wouldn't be surprised if WWE was directing them to tweet about it to give people a talking point other than Crown Jewel

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Phenix Rising posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if WWE was directing them to tweet about it to give people a talking point other than Crown Jewel

Apparently not. The Smackdown Women were legitimately caught off guard by the announcement. And are legitimately upset over it.

Also how come I have the feeling WWE is going to plug Crown Jewel during Evolution? In fact, that should be a prop bet on the predictions contest.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

try not to cram everyone onto a single ppv and give some folks a day off

So a five hour PPV with a bunch of WWE Main Event level matches or something.

No low card WWE or NXT wrestler is turning down a PPV payoff.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

I like how Bryan Alvarez was defending the battle royal on WOL today by saying that if it weren't for this, none of the women in it would be on the card. :psyduck:

For once Bryan Alvarez is not wrong

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DarkstarIV posted:

Apparently not. The Smackdown Women were legitimately caught off guard by the announcement. And are legitimately upset over it.

Well, good for them for speaking up then. What a lovely god drat company.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1052208209874714625

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Like, the "what else could they have possibly done" argument is particularly hilarious when 2/3 of the matches on the WWE Evolution card either center around or feature talent that isn't actually in the WWE, and even that's only if you count the Bellas as WWE performers instead of guest stars who'll probably be leaving after Evolution is over. If you don't count them, there's currently only one match on WWE Evolution centered on the WWE women's roster--and that will probably top out at two out of eight when the Huggers/Riott Squad match gets added.

And that's not to in any way say the NXT/UK/Legends women are bad or don't deserve to have a spotlight, they're loving great, but if you're in the WWE women's roster and you can't even get a sliver of spotlight at the FIRST EVER WOMEN'S-ONLY WWE PAY PER VIEW, the hell are you supposed to do?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

He's completely correct

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

but you can't take the carnival out of the man.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I'm not saying WWE can't/shouldn't run a battle royal. But they should have put the actual decent women in SINGLES matches. For reference, here is what is announced so far:

- MYC Finals
- Battle Royal
- Kairi Sane vs Shayna Baszler
- Trish/Lita vs Alexa/Mickie
- Becky Lynch vs Charlotte
- Ronda Rousey vs Nikki Bella

Speculated Matches:

- NXT UK Women's Championship Match
- Riott Squad vs Sasha/Bayley/Natalya

That is six matches announced (with maybe two more on the way). This is likely going to be a typical 3 or 4 hour PPV. WWE is going to have a really tough time filling that time out if that's all they have announced.

It's also worth noting that Bryan went on to claim that WELL THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR FOR THE WOMEN IN THE BATTLE ROYAL TO GET A SINGLES MATCH.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Truly his father's son.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

It's also worth noting that Bryan went on to claim that WELL THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR FOR THE WOMEN IN THE BATTLE ROYAL TO GET A SINGLES MATCH.

There's 100% going to be 2 PPVs next year they won't be on at all due to being in Saudi. Even if it's a complete bust in-ring, this is very likely not the last Evolution/women's-only PPV

Now that's a talking point: how it's hosed they still miss out on a PPV/Network/special event payday because they only get one show a year as apology for the Saudi situation, not as many shows a year

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

rovert posted:

+1

A lot of Smackdown female roster sucks and IIconics match at Super Showdown was diabolical. They shouldn't be allowed to wrestle singles or tag on PPV.

I can't tell whether you're joking or not. There's Lana and that's the only real bad wrestler on the roster.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i think for all of Vince's shortcomings, the fact that he didn't try harder to normalize incest is probably the worst of all

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Batista apparently showed up late to SD.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Good. gently caress em :colbert:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
...So Charlotte is getting sued by her ex husband.

http://m.tmz.com/#!article/2018/10/16/ric-flair-charlotte-flair-and-wwe-sued/

Because she apparently claimed he was sterile in her book.

This loving business. :psyduck:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Satin gettin worked by a reddit thread. He was obviously being sarcastic

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Why is it so hard for them to come up with feuds for women that don't revolve around championships and or "bitches being crazy"? NXT manages to do it it a fraction of TV time.

the guy right here
Oct 3, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

My big take away from this is that Opie is getting guests on his free podcast that Sam Roberts can't get on his SiriusXM radio show even though Sam works for WWE.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

rovert posted:

What should they have done? A 22 match Big Egg Wrestling Universe show?

Make the show about the women who wrestle everyday and leave the legends off of it.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

JT Smiley posted:

Why is it so hard for them to come up with feuds for women that don't revolve around championships and or "bitches being crazy"? NXT manages to do it it a fraction of TV time.

Vince.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Make the show about the women who wrestle everyday and leave the legends off of it.

dues, though

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

They don't do that for any other major WWE PPV.

TV Zombie posted:

I can't tell whether you're joking or not. There's Lana and that's the only real bad wrestler on the roster.

Not trolling. A lot of the main roster needs a culling and replaced with NXT talent.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's bad when they do it on every other major WWE PPV show too.

Edit: And if they culled most of the roster and replaced them with NXT talent we'd be having the same discussion in a years time because WWE's main roster makes women wrestlers worse at wrestling.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 17, 2018

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

Gumball Gumption posted:

You mean like WWE Crown Jewel, airing live November 2nd, from *flaps fingers against mouth so as to render the country name unintelligible*?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's bad when they do it on every other major WWE PPV show too.

Seriously, they've had so many meaningless battle royals in the last year. It's been done to death.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

And if they culled most of the roster and replaced them with NXT talent we'd be having the same discussion in a years time because WWE's main roster makes women wrestlers worse at wrestling.

I legit don't get how we can go from "______'s NXT match was amazing" to "_______ sucks" a half-dozen times in an observable pattern and we still don't collectively get the talent isn't the problem.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JT Smiley posted:

Seriously, they've had so many meaningless battle royals in the last year. It's been done to death.

Yeah, that Naomi tweet kind of perfectly sums up the problem. Its not that a Battle Royal for the extra talent is some egregious or unexpected booking. Its that its become such a lazy writing/booking crutch that the winner of the last one pointed out what a waste of time and failed follow through that one was.

This just feels like another case of some people grading WWE on the curve they've lowered expectations down for and some people just saying "that doesn't look good."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CarlCX posted:

I legit don't get how we can go from "______'s NXT match was amazing" to "_______ sucks" a half-dozen times in an observable pattern and we still don't collectively get the talent isn't the problem.

It's easier to type, and the hope of that person leaving is farrrrrrrrr more likely than the hope of Vince/HHH/Steph leaving

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

CarlCX posted:

WWE cannot fail, it can only be failed.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I hate when people blame the talent for being booked poorly, as if they have any real control over the matter. Especially when WWE has proven time and time again that they can drop the ball with pretty much anyone, no matter how good or bad they are.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Stop supporting the WWE, Jesus Christ

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

What feud has NXT that's not one of those, or Lacey Evans being racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Smackdown only has like a dozen female performers and just three of them are any good in-ring

• Locked thread