Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jim Lee confirms that DCU is done for new shows and original programming is moving over to HBO Max. DCU is staying around but it sounds like it is mostly going to be the comics and older shows/movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Jim Lee confirms that DCU is done for new shows and original programming is moving over to HBO Max. DCU is staying around but it sounds like it is mostly going to be the comics and older shows/movies.

DCU existing for comics and stuff makes sense, though I wonder if those shows and movies would be exclusive to it or also available on HBO Max

quote:

What is going to happen to DC Universe?

The original content that is on DCU is migrating to HBO Max. Truthfully, that’s the best platform for that content. The amount of content you get, not just DC , but generally from WarnerMedia, is huge and it’s the best value proposition, if I’m allowed to use that marketing term. We feel that is the place for that.

In regards to the community and experience that DCU created, and all the backlist content, something like 20.000 to 25,000 different titles, and the way it connected with fans 24-7, there is always going to be a need for that. So we’re excited to transform it and we’ll have more news on what that will look like. It’s definitely not going away.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 15, 2020

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was pretty tough in Young Justice.
I didn't mean he was poo poo like useless, I meant he was poo poo like not very entertaining and not really having a point.

Though yeah, it's true that in Young Justice he was kind of okay, but it wasn't because of his sportsmasterness, he could have been paralyzed-man and had much the same effect. His plot importance in YJ was all about his control over and training of Artemis. He could have had literally no ability himself and still been pretty much just as relevant, with only minor changes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something I liked about Stargirl is it shows a group of young women who have different body types. Yolanda and Cort are both athletic but not that rail thin type you see in basically everything, and Beth is allowed to be a bit thick. I really hope they don't change this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DCU has no staff at this point. Like everyone was fired except for 2 people so how they expect to run a digital comic service with two people is puzzling.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

DCU has no staff at this point. Like everyone was fired except for 2 people so how they expect to run a digital comic service with two people is puzzling.

Glad I ordered my old Ted and Jack Knight figures from DC Direct a month ago. I remember they got laid off too so I’m imagining warehouses and server rooms run by a talking Rat and his truest Roach love. Just caught up from BSS and are they really just purging DC? Like really? gently caress AT&T... I thought it was was mostly just DCUniverse steaming not massive torches to everything DC. Now I feel bad for joking...

Sorry mate

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 15, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DogsInSpace! posted:

Glad I ordered my old Ted and Jack Knight figures from DC Direct a month ago. I remember they got laid off too so I’m imagining warehouses and server rooms run by a talking Rat and his truest Roach love

I'm gonna put on the "Well I KNOW PEOPLE" hat here for a second.

I've been friends with editor Andy Khouri for close to 20 years. We met on AOL! He's been pretty quiet so far but he was definitely blindsided. In addition to that, one of my old customers from my comic shop days also works at DC. They're granted us a private tour of the offices on our honeymoon. They were in the Direct/Collectibles department until just about 3 years ago and their current position involves coordinating with DCU and from what has been said, they don't think the firings are over. Also DC's offices are littered with unopened DCC product. Like, statues, figures, prop replicas. poo poo's everywhere. I was given a few items and offered my pick of dozens of other things but we had no room in our luggage and no time to get to a post office to mail them back so I had to decline. With the shutdown of DCC they were told to pack up any and everything with that logo on it. There's also a huge room where there's hundreds of unproduced prototypes and they all think it's going to get boxed up and either sold off at blind auction of buried in the Warner archives.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna put on the "Well I KNOW PEOPLE" hat here for a second.

I've been friends with editor Andy Khouri for close to 20 years. We met on AOL! He's been pretty quiet so far but he was definitely blindsided. In addition to that, one of my old customers from my comic shop days also works at DC. They're granted us a private tour of the offices on our honeymoon. They were in the Direct/Collectibles department until just about 3 years ago and their current position involves coordinating with DCU and from what has been said, they don't think the firings are over. Also DC's offices are littered with unopened DCC product. Like, statues, figures, prop replicas. poo poo's everywhere. I was given a few items and offered my pick of dozens of other things but we had no room in our luggage and no time to get to a post office to mail them back so I had to decline. With the shutdown of DCC they were told to pack up any and everything with that logo on it. There's also a huge room where there's hundreds of unproduced prototypes and they all think it's going to get boxed up and either sold off at blind auction of buried in the Warner archives.

I hate to semi double post but my edit isn’t enough. Sorry man. So sorry. I just read Doomsday Clock and was thinking about getting back in funny enough. DP and Stargirl made me miss it and I mostly stopped reading when the new 52 came out (except for Damien Wayne -loved that guy). Young Justice, Titans, JSA, Starman, Morrison JLA and Bats were cornerstones of my childhood and teens. All those poor people. Man...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I decided to watch Smallville recently. After watching the first season I have a question. What do the Kents farm?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spacebump posted:

I decided to watch Smallville recently. After watching the first season I have a question. What do the Kents farm?

Antipathy for Lex Luthor.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Spacebump posted:

Not sure what they farmed, but I do know that the fences always need repair due to Clark not bothering to use cement when he piledrives the posts into the ground.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Cattle, grain, hay, and organic produce.

I base this on one episodes plotline being all the Kent cows being poisoned by luthorcorp, one episode where Martha gets trapped in a grain silo, about a million instances of Clark loading hay bales, and a reference at some point that Martha was delivering produce to people like one of those farm subscription things you can get

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished all of Harley Quinn. That show was far, far better than I expected it to be when I first heard that the show existed, but I saw part of the college episode and was immediately onboard after a few more episodes.

I'm so glad Harley and Ivy got together. :3:

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

My favorite part is Joker getting kicked in the nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAWvgPO_s7w

Jesus, I forgot how good the animation was.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 18, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Finally watching Doom Patrol, i kinda wish I had watched this before Harley Quinn because Alan Tudyk is doing a slightly less manic version of his Joker voice as the narration.

drat this is good. It's weird but not weird in the way that seems random. All the weirdness makes total sense.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 19, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

twistedmentat posted:

Finally watching Doom Patrol, i kinda wish I had watched this before Harley Quinn because Alan Tudyk is doing a slightly less manic version of his Joker voice as the narration.

drat this is good. It's weird but not weird in the way that seems random. All the weirdness makes total sense.

Yes. Doom Patrol is amazing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hypocrisy posted:

Yes. Doom Patrol is amazing.

If i have one complaint is that there's a little too many flashbacks showing these are broken, hosed up and damaged people. By episode 6 they've strongly established that.

If i have two complaints, a lot of Janes personalities are just huge bitches and that makes it hard to watch.

Even then, these are kind of minor complaints that don't subtract from the show at all.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

If i have one complaint is that there's a little too many flashbacks showing these are broken, hosed up and damaged people. By episode 6 they've strongly established that.

If i have two complaints, a lot of Janes personalities are just huge bitches and that makes it hard to watch.

Even then, these are kind of minor complaints that don't subtract from the show at all.

The flashbacks really lay it on thick, but especially as the show progresses into the later season and second season it helps to really highlight their growth, progress, and healing, which helps to give the show a more positive spin all the same. While maintaining the formula by having them still be broken,, hosed up, and damaged people who are in need of further growth, progress, and healing. Just ahead of who they were.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Titans s3 is going to Gotham and bringing in Barbara Gordon and Scarecrow. Also Jason is going to become Red Hood.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Does that mean we get to see him get his head bashed in?

I had to look up the song from The Danny The Street episode and I was "oh that's what Kelly Clarkson sounds like" because I have heard that song before but never payed attention to who sung it.

That was probably the most Grant Morrisson feeling episode yet. The whole Bureau of Normalcy is exactly the kind of thing he'd have. I assume that was in his run?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 23, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah. Danny the Street, Mr Nobody, The Bureau and Jane are all his original creations. So is the Constantine stand in from that two parter. There are a couple other creations of his that show up near the end of the season. I’m on episode 11 now, and plan on finishing the season in the next couple days.

EDIT: He also created the Beard Hunter, but he was more of a parody of the Punisher from what I remember.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah. Danny the Street, Mr Nobody, The Bureau and Jane are all his original creations. So is the Constantine stand in from that two parter. There are a couple other creations of his that show up near the end of the season. I’m on episode 11 now, and plan on finishing the season in the next couple days.

EDIT: He also created the Beard Hunter, but he was more of a parody of the Punisher from what I remember.

S1 is very heavily based off of Morrison's Doom Patrol as is also one of the, if not the most iconic runs on the series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

S1 is very heavily based off of Morrison's Doom Patrol as is also one of the, if not the most iconic runs on the series.

Don't let John Byrne hear you say that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xelkelvos posted:

Easily, yeah. The Gerard Way run is still ongoing and is a lot of fun.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Season 2 is also heavily based off of Morrison

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Doom Patrol tv series: Dolores Mentallo Patrol

https://youtu.be/wzexat7jcPk

and

https://youtu.be/9EwB1nB_tZs

(the Cliff Steele soap opera "acting" is just a bonus)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how, as in Titans, this is a world where the other heroes exist, just this is beneath their notice. And they straight up say that with Cyborg. He's like the connection to the world of regular superheroes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, so I know this is for DCU, but did anyone else watch "Man of Tomorrow" and get a heavy "this is a really pointed allegory for the GLBTQ community?" The opening scene of young Clark crying because of the actress in the movie being scared of "the alien" was pretty on the nose.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Butts are loose!

I finished Doom Patrol season 1. Funny, I thought that Flex Mentallo was an actual Golden Age character until I found out, nope Grant Morrisons creation. I also really like Mr Nobodies meta knowlage of the entire universe, but Rita being able to clue on on it and take control.

I love the set with the little stuff build by Larry in the season 2 opener.

Please tell me Dorothy isn't precious and twee the entire season? I'm assuming not because Jane and Cliff basically say "wow she is going to get annoying real fast", and the show has been pretty self aware so far.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 29, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Played catch-up on the live action stuff...RIP DCU

Doom Patrol was good when it went full grant morrison weirdness. I never read any DP other than the flex mentallo miniseries years back with no context and really liked it. Was cool to see the character show up in the DC stuff even if it doesn't look like they'll really dig into him at all (maybe in a s3?)..morrison side note: I liked this way better then happy, the other GM show.

Titans was a slog to get through and I agree with everyone in this thread on that. Not sure what I can add to that discussion. Not sure I want to see what a death in the family adaptation would look like on this show for s3 to be honest, other then being totally OK with this jason todd getting merc'd (the extra extra grim version of red hood is going to be painful). Don't know if I'm going to bother.

I noped out of Swamp Thing after ep 4 or 5. I love me some saga of by moore, and thats pretty much it in terms of the character and this 100% was not that, or if it was it didn't happen in the half of the season I saw. Checking the thread seems like I made a good call there. Moores run is fantastic, just adapt that next time ffs. Swamp Thing before his run was just some run of the mill revenge tale dreck.

CW style DC is not my bag so I skipped stargirl, sorry thread.

Everyone seemed to like the harley animated series so I'll give it a shot. The venture comparison bodes well, big vb fan.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Doom Patrol was good when it went full grant morrison weirdness. I never read any DP other than the flex mentallo miniseries years back with no context and really liked it. Was cool to see the character show up in the DC stuff even if it doesn't look like they'll really dig into him at all (maybe in a s3?)..morrison side note: I liked this way better then happy, the other GM show.

Titans was a slog to get through and I agree with everyone in this thread on that. Not sure what I can add to that discussion. Not sure I want to see what a death in the family adaptation would look like on this show for s3 to be honest, other then being totally OK with this jason todd getting merc'd (the extra extra grim version of red hood is going to be painful). Don't know if I'm going to bother.

I noped out of Swamp Thing after ep 4 or 5. I love me some saga of by moore, and thats pretty much it in terms of the character and this 100% was not that, or if it was it didn't happen in the half of the season I saw. Checking the thread seems like I made a good call there. Moores run is fantastic, just adapt that next time ffs. Swamp Thing before his run was just some run of the mill revenge tale dreck.

CW style DC is not my bag so I skipped stargirl, sorry thread.

Everyone seemed to like the harley animated series so I'll give it a shot. The venture comparison bodes well, big vb fan.

Stargirl is better than all the CW shows, give it a shot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Stargirl is better than all the CW shows, give it a shot.

I will fight you on that at least for Black Lightning. Legends is still more amusing than Stargirl, but it requires a bit of buildup unfortunately.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

I will fight you on that at least for Black Lightning. Legends is still more amusing than Stargirl, but it requires a bit of buildup unfortunately.

I enjoyed Legends until the most recent season. It was the last of the pre-crisis Arrowverse shows that I gave up on. I'll give you Black Lightening is good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zer0spunk posted:

CW style DC is not my bag so I skipped stargirl, sorry thread. .

Aka Teens?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DOOM PATROL RENEWED

Although it specifically just says HBO Max so I guess the news was true and so DCU is dead as a TV delivery service.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

muscles like this! posted:

DOOM PATROL RENEWED

Although it specifically just says HBO Max so I guess the news was true and so DCU is dead as a TV delivery service.

Both good things

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Am now animated-Harley complete. Is good show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1306973391149297664

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Great news for both shows. HBO Max actually has worthwhile content, Raised by Wolves is spectacular so far.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Hell Yeah.

I wonder if this also means season 4 is coming, since they basically do 26 episodes at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HELL
YEAH

Can't wait! This was one of the few serialized shows of any kind that got me to watch it over playing video games, and I'm freakin' stoked!