Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This latest episode wasn't bad. It would have been much better if it had come earlier on though so we'd have had some reason to give a poo poo about Dick's past before now, and it's not a great sign that the first good episode was missing three quarters of the main cast and had basically nothing to do with the ongoing plot.

Quincyh posted:

Is it? I've tried twice and given up twice. When did it get better?

About six episodes in. They did a really weird thing early on where they pretended it was going to be basically Law & Order: Gotham and Jim was this by-the-book good guy trying to reform the GPD from the inside. Then after that they realised it would be way better if it was just wall-to-wall crazy people trying to murder each other all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!

Tiggum posted:

This latest episode wasn't bad. It would have been much better if it had come earlier on though so we'd have had some reason to give a poo poo about Dick's past before now, and it's not a great sign that the first good episode was missing three quarters of the main cast and had basically nothing to do with the ongoing plot.

So far this show has really been "spinoff introductions: the show" and as long as they calm down about that and give me more fight scenes like Jason v cops, I have absolutely no problem with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Quincyh posted:

I think the pilot's the only episode that doesn't play up how loving bizarre and silly the show is, but I think most people didn't feel comfortable arguing that Gotham was doing that "deliberately" until season two. But even in season one you've got a whole bunch of joyfully insane nonsense like the organ harvesting strike, or the Fifty Shades parody, or THE SPIRIT OF THE GOAT!

I think it's amazing that what was considered the show's worst episode -- Balloonman -- basically became the show's ongoing blueprint. I mean, I love the episode but people loving hated it. And instead of the writer's going "Oh gently caress no, what have we done, never again" they just doubled down on that nonsense and made it key to the show's identity. Gotham ends up swinging for the fences in ways that are super ridiculous and camp and -- I'd argue -- inherently queer, and I think it ended up really earning my attention in a market that's saturated with superhero television.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

People figured out it was deliberate when they had a literal villain Walmart, I'd say.

Quincyh posted:

As people said, it gradually ramps up midway through season 1 - midway through season 2 until it goes balls to the walls insane.

And Bruce is essentially Batman Year One at this point as well.

A big part is realizing that it's purposely mixing in every single filmed take on Batman in one series simultaneously to the point where they basically coexist in the same world, while still realizing it's a comic book based thing and the show should just embrace it as opposed to trying to be "realistic."

Bruno Heller (Rome) is the showrunner, so there is thoughts and brains behind it; you just have to accept what he's attempting to do (or not).

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Okay, but what if I hate the dude that plays Jim Gordon and every scene with him in it is a trial?

... You're all pretty convincing though. Maybe I'll pick it up again in season three and try to ignore that all Batman's villains are going to be fifty by the time he starts beating the crap out of them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Quincyh posted:

You're all pretty convincing though. Maybe I'll pick it up again in season three and try to ignore that all Batman's villains are going to be fifty by the time he starts beating the crap out of them.

I hear this one a lot, but I reckon it's kinda irrelevant given that it's, you know, comic books. Characters don't age like normal people. They rapidly grow to cime fighting (or crime doing) age and then stay there basically forever.

Starting with season 3 means you'll miss out on a handful of really good twists, and also be starting out with (IMO) the show's worst arc. But that half-season also contains one of the best of the show's arcs. Which is classic Gotham if you think about it. Why be good or bad, when you can be both simultaneously?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Quincyh posted:

Okay, but what if I hate the dude that plays Jim Gordon and every scene with him in it is a trial?

He starts being more funny because he acts like hes going to explode out of rage every time he says a line.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

a handful of really good twists, and also be starting out with (IMO) the show's worst arc. But that half-season also contains one of the best of the show's arcs. Which is classic Gotham if you think about it. Why be good or bad, when you can be both simultaneously?

I'd definitely start with season one, just maybe put the first few episodes on in the background while you're doing something else and gradually transition into watching it properly as it starts to get good. 'Cause, even right from the start, Robin Lord Taylor (Oswald "Penguin" Kapelput) and Jada Pinkett Smith (Fish Mooney) are fantastic and you should pay attention any time they're on-screen.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Darko posted:

He starts being more funny because he acts like hes going to explode out of rage every time he says a line.
This is very true. I was not super keen on the show for the first ~half a season because it was dull like Law And Order: Gotham or something, and Jim was just a boring straight-man with no funny-man. Oswald was the one high point holding it together. But later even Jim is quite fun because he starts just shooting people in the face first and agonizing about it later. His on-again off-again relationship with being fired really helps.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guys, you're loving killing me with this Gotham talk.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Darko posted:

We have a Batman show, really, and its actually good and wacky. Too bad its ending.
Wait, Arrow's ending?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wait, Arrow's ending?

No, he said a good show.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
But there's no other Batman show, especially on Fox.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the one about batmans butler

no, the other show

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

But yeah this is their own thing on their own service and they've already got two Robins running around AND blurry background Bruce Wayne. The big CW crossover event this year also has TV Batwoman making her first appearance so it looks like DC finally read the room and is giving their TV shows more freedom with the bigger characters.

Batwoman isn't a big DC character. In terms of fame, she's somewhere around Spoiler and below Azrael and all of them are below most of Batman's Rogues gallery. That Talia and Ra's were allowed was a big deal though. Same with (tiny) Superman. It'll probably be a year or two before we see a Batman, Robin or Batgirl in a CW show however and god knows how long before we get a Joker and/or Harley.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wait, Arrow's ending?

I don't find dumb romance and SECRETS drama to be wacky unless it's super queer romance and secrets drama that ends in multiple heads exploding.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Gotham ends up swinging for the fences in ways that are super ridiculous and camp and -- I'd argue -- inherently queer, and I think it ended up really earning my attention in a market that's saturated with superhero television.

This might be better suited for another thread, but if you're up for an effortpost I'd really like to hear the "inherently queer" part expanded on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Well, the Penguin and the Riddler have a romantic relationship.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davros1 posted:

Well, the Penguin and the Riddler have a romantic relationship.

The whole show is camp as a row of tents.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So to get back on track to the actual show that this thread is for; This week's episode was excellent; This show loving rules; and Brenton Thwaites has a freakish resemblance to Grant Gustin if you ask me. If I didn't know he was an Aussie I'd have been convinced he and Gustin were related.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

So to get back on track to the actual show that this thread is for; This week's episode was excellent; This show loving rules; and Brenton Thwaites has a freakish resemblance to Grant Gustin if you ask me. If I didn't know he was an Aussie I'd have been convinced he and Gustin were related.

Oh, that's who he reminds me of! I didn't know he was an Aussie. Is Anna Diop British? She had an accent going on at one point.

I do super like this show, even though this episode could have been prevented with the words "recon will apparently take about ten minutes".

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Quincyh posted:

Oh, that's who he reminds me of! I didn't know he was an Aussie. Is Anna Diop British? She had an accent going on at one point.

I do super like this show, even though this episode could have been prevented with the words "recon will apparently take about ten minutes".

She's from Senegal I think.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

She's from Senegal I think.

She was born and raised in Senegal until she was six. She's an American now.

Teagan Croft is Australian too.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 25, 2018

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Maybe it was just weirdly delivered. She's awesome.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Quincyh posted:

I agree this bit was pretty weak. The group could have ended up captured even if they went together, so the extra drama of not rushing off immediately felt like filler.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

So after one good episode it's back to business as usual. Another waste of time episode in which nothing happened and a bunch of bad guys got killed without ever really doing anything or showing us what they're even trying to do. And once again the good guys have no specific goals or objectives. I guess they've got Rachel's mother now, but I'll be shocked if she has any solid information or clarifies anything. And most likely she'll be dead before the end of the next episode.

Balthesar posted:

I agree this bit was pretty weak. The group could have ended up captured even if they went together, so the extra drama of not rushing off immediately felt like filler.
The whole show is at least 90% filler.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Gar having human blood in his mouth for the first time was a good moment but my favourite and MVP of the week is again Kori.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 26, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Did Dick quit his job at some point? When he decided he was leaving I assumed he'd go back to being a cop because they're probably wondering what happened to him.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is show good? Is it legit good? Cheesy good? Guilty pleasure good?

Is it bad?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think it’s excellent; but that would appear to be a fairly controversial opinion at least in this thread.

I think the answer depends on whether you like your superhero shows grimdark or not. That being said I think this show does grimdark very very well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I think the answer depends on whether you like your superhero shows grimdark or not. That being said I think this show does grimdark very very well.

It's not even that grim, or dark. It's just violent. It's not more dark than, I dunno, Angel.

It's not SouthLAnd or The Shield or Jessica Jones. It's got a pop sensibility.

Also it's fun and good.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It has a fiery disco space angel in a metallic purple pantsuit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ovenmaster summed up exactly what I don't like about it:

Ovenmaster posted:

What they're struggling with the most is building tension. It makes it so that I both feel like nothing is happening, while at the same time everything's moving too fast.

This sort of 'welp, we've done this thing for an episode, gotta move on' form of storytelling is to me extremely frustrating, and they keep doing it.

Gotta cram an action scene into every episode somehow!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's not even that grim, or dark. It's just violent. It's not more dark than, I dunno, Angel.

It's not SouthLAnd or The Shield or Jessica Jones. It's got a pop sensibility.

Also it's fun and good.

gently caress now I want to watch Angel again.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Zzulu posted:

Is show good? Is it legit good? Cheesy good? Guilty pleasure good?

Is it bad?
If you like the idea of Robin rubbing ground glass in a goon's face then the show is good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dick does seem to really like taking people's eyes out.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I came in with low expectations and the show's been really good. Enjoying it more than The Gifted, Cloak & Dagger, Gotham. An episode featuring the Doom Patrol was season highlight for me, so far, adding some comic relief to the show's weirdness and high body count.
And the Nuclear Family was an interesting group of villains.

ynohtna posted:

It has a fiery disco space angel in a metallic purple pantsuit.

Yes, she's the best. And I like the device of giving Kori amnesia so she's an unapologetic costumed superpower who can't be bothered with maintaining a secret identity or alter ego.
On Supergirl or The Flash she'd be a wanted criminal they're seeking, to throw in prison.
On this show she's only the 3rd most vicious Titan :cripes:

Binary Logic posted:

Gar having human blood in his mouth for the first time was a good moment but my favourite and MVP of the week is again Kori.

Steps over a dead body like a boss.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 2, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

I think it’s excellent; but that would appear to be a fairly controversial opinion at least in this thread.

84% on RT, 8.3 IMDB and 9.2 on tv.com.

Goon opinions should be always be assumed against the grain.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kori owns. Also I totally called she'd be an antagonist this season, even though she's totally gonna stick around and integrate. She's the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Liking the show so far. It seems like it’s meant to be more connected to the movieverse than the arrowverse, but until I see Ben Affleck or Christian Bale as Batman I guess we’ll never know (unless they go the Netflix Marvel Route of referencing movie events and characters but never meeting them in person). Like the OP I haven’t read any of the original Titans comics, maybe a stray issue or so. Most of my knowledge of the team itself comes from a funny tv cartoon my kids like called “Teen Titans Go!”, and apart from Robin almost all my knowledge about the characters is from watching that and other cartoons.

I can agree that part of this show may feel like nerdy superhero cameo fan service, but I also think the appearances make sense story wise.

They all had a reason to be included.
Hawk and Dove were contacted by Dick because he needed friendly help from someone who knew about his other life, but wouldn’t call Bruce. New Robin was sent by Bruce to help Dick, Wonder Girl was called by Dick because he needed some advice from another sidekick who quit/stopped.

In the end they also served some purpose in developing the story and characters. Hawk and Dove were collateral damage that weigh on Dick’s conscience. Jason Todd shows Dick how easily replaced he was to Batman and gives him an epiphany about how destructive Robin is, leading to him abandoning the costume/moniker. Wonder Girl leads to a break through about the two mysterious characters.

Also, digging the colorful characters paired with the grimdarkness. Three of the four main characters have primary colored hair, for gently caress’s sake, and their powers are cartoonish as gently caress.

All in all, still hooked. The show’s shortcomings are still outweighed by the good parts, and I want to see where this is heading (hoping that no matter how it ends, they’ll throw in a short clip of Raven returning to the hospital to heal Dove).

By the way, did Donna make an arrow reference? “You have to become someone else. You have to become someTHING else”.