Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kjetting posted:

By the way, did Donna make an arrow reference? “You have to become someone else. You have to become someTHING else”.
It seemed like it, but it doesn't really make sense. Why throw that in there? But on the other hand, how could it not be intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah that line stood out as a deliberate callback.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Kori owns. Also I totally called she'd be an antagonist this season, even though she's totally gonna stick around and integrate. She's the greatest.

You were right about Kori being an antagonist. Did not see that coming.

Some exterior scenes seemed familiar until this shot of Jump confirmed it's Toronto.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is he going to become Nightwing in the show? I thought the Titans was supposed to be with Dick as Robin. Although now that I think about it I remember seeing a Titans comic cover with Nightwing in the disco suit with the yellow armpit wings. It seems like distancing himself from the Robin suit is a big thing, though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah that line stood out as a deliberate callback.

You were right about Kori being an antagonist. Did not see that coming.

Some exterior scenes seemed familiar until this shot of Jump confirmed it's Toronto.

Nice I noticed that too, I caught the other side of their courtyard thing in the scene where Dick gets into the Minivan after talking to the team. It's right down the street from where they beat up Johnny 5 in Short Circuit. Some of the exterior shots were SCREAMING Toronto at me but that was the first dead giveaway

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Phenotype posted:

Is he going to become Nightwing in the show? I thought the Titans was supposed to be with Dick as Robin. Although now that I think about it I remember seeing a Titans comic cover with Nightwing in the disco suit with the yellow armpit wings. It seems like distancing himself from the Robin suit is a big thing, though.

I'm looking forward to this season building to something like:

Gar: "Where's Robin?"
Dick: "gently caress Robin."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phenotype posted:

The Titans were originally founded with Dick as Robin, but as the years went by, DC thought it would be appropriate to give him a new moniker (and also differentiate him from the new Robin) to reflect his more grown up appearance. Thus: Nightwing.

In the comics, the name initally comes from a Superman story where, initially Superman takes up the identity with Jimmy Olsen while in Kandor and later, Batman and Robin team with them as a set of dynamic duos. It's later retconned and the name comes from a story Superman told him about the mythical Kryptonian heroes, Nightwing and Flamebird.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I could see the Nightwing identity or costume being a thing in the season finale. Either as a teaser or he actually puts it on and kicks some rear end.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
Having finally caught up with the show after having to save two episodes for Reasons, I am very curious about why the writers thought I would want an entire episode devoted to boring backstory for two characters I have no interest in, who aren't even Titans.

Come on. Just why. It was worse than the Daredevil S3 ep that was 60% about Karen's boring backstory. Don't interrupt what little story you have going on for nonsense like this!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought it was the second best episode.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I've enjoyed the series so far, Hawk and Dove were fine. The only episode I didn't enjoy as much as the rest was the Doom Patrol one, which everyone here seems to love?? (probably because I don't know anything about em) but I'll probably end up watching that series too

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Urgh why. I'll admit I've disliked the Dove actress for ages but this episode belongs in the pilot of their series, which I will never watch, not interrupting a show I was actually enjoying.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quincyh posted:

Urgh why. I'll admit I've disliked the Dove actress for ages but this episode belongs in the pilot of their series, which I will never watch, not interrupting a show I was actually enjoying.

Minka Kelly is a goddess you savage.

They are killing it, Alan Ritchson is awesome in any context. I'm all in for young Hank/Thad Castle becoming a superhero.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

:same:

There was an actual story and the characters were fleshed out enough that we could understand their motivations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rocksicles posted:

yeah same, the Hawk standalone episode was my favourite so far, after the Double Robin episode

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I mean, in a vacuum, it was a pretty good episode of television and told a decent story. I usually can't find much sympathy for meatheads like Hawk, but okay, a nice glimpse of his life and the choices he's made.

But yeah, I don't know what the hell it was doing here, definitely brought the show's plot to a screeching halt. They're long past the stage where they can spend an entire episode going over backstory for tertiary characters and not progress the story at all.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Quincyh posted:

Having finally caught up with the show after having to save two episodes for Reasons, I am very curious about why the writers thought I would want an entire episode devoted to boring backstory for two characters I have no interest in, who aren't even Titans.

Come on. Just why. It was worse than the Daredevil S3 ep that was 60% about Karen's boring backstory. Don't interrupt what little story you have going on for nonsense like this!

Phenotype posted:

I mean, in a vacuum, it was a pretty good episode of television and told a decent story. I usually can't find much sympathy for meatheads like Hawk, but okay, a nice glimpse of his life and the choices he's made.

But yeah, I don't know what the hell it was doing here, definitely brought the show's plot to a screeching halt. They're long past the stage where they can spend an entire episode going over backstory for tertiary characters and not progress the story at all.

Yeah this. I'd love to know why this was done as a creative decision. It already felt like the 1st Hawk and Dice story was a backdoor pilot. The entire episode being dedicated to something that had nothing to do with the serialised plot felt way off to me. It literally felt like I was watching another show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Yeah this. I'd love to know why this was done as a creative decision.

Yeah, I'd second this. It's such an odd structural decision. Hawk and Dove haven't appeared since episode three!

If anyone was going to get this treatment, you'd think it'd be Starfire. But nah, let's see what these people we haven't seen in ages were doing ten years ago.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Writers need to learn to stop doing this poo poo; it always ends up sucking. Supergirl has done it 2 seasons in a row now. There's nothing wrong with having flashbacks to establish the history of characters, but the correct way to do it would have been to increase the episode count of the plot arc that hawk and dove were in by 1 and intersperse the flashbacks throughout those episodes; not piss viewers off after a massive cliffhanger by having an episode completely divorced from the plot. Narrative flow is important!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Phenotype posted:

definitely brought the show's plot to a screeching halt.
For that to be true the plot would have to be moving.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'd love to know why this was done as a creative decision.
Almost nothing about this show makes sense from that perspective. Like, why was the episode giving us Robin's backstory so late? Why does the show spend so much time introducing new characters only to either kill them off or send them away never to be seen again? If the show is for existing fans, why is it in the form of an origin story explaining who the characters are, how they met and why they work together? If it's meant to be an introduction to the characters, why is 50% of the runtime dedicated to cameos? Who is this show supposed to be for?

The Lord Bude posted:

Narrative flow is important!
At least the flashback had a narrative. It may not have fit into the larger context, but neither does anything else that happens in this show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phenotype posted:

you're right about the timing, it's end-game, not expanding side-character time. Also Hawk was in ONE episode prior to this so it was strange to just dedicate an entire episode to his origin like he was a main JL member, I just ended up enjoying the story they told as its own little thing so it worked out for me

plus its cool to see Thad front and center stage, not playing a one note side character

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
so did the comics ever explain why Rachel is repeatedly dreaming (cross-country) about the Dick Grayson origin story and seeking him out in the Pilot? It was played up as some really important destiny thing and nobody on the show has talked about it since, Dick going as far as to just outright leave the group multiple times.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

gently caress that last episode was creepy. This show is great.

Edit: holy gently caress the trailer for the season finale.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 15, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Lord Bude posted:

Edit: holy gently caress the trailer for the season finale.

gently caress Embargo.

:stare: jfc it looks insane.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So that's Deathstroke, right? He's the big Titans bad guy, he could definitely impersonate Batman, and I would be absolutely shocked if they managed to cast someone as actual Batman and it's been kept quiet this long.

I think I posted in this very thread about how I'm trying to get on board with the new Batman and Superman who kill people sometimes, but if that's the real Batman I will be a little disappointed. :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

my guess is that it’s some sort of illusion/mindfuck situation that they’re trapped in, being created by the dad.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Aw, I think you're right. There was an episode description leaked that mentioned Trigon sending Robin into a dreamscape. I like my idea better.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
So, did no one watch the finale, or doesn't anyone want to talk about it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

kjetting posted:

I was super busy with work, then Christmas, so I haven't got around to seeing it yet.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

kjetting posted:

Okay sure.
1. I had to pause when it was revealed that fiery Coriander is from planet Tamarind. Character must have been created after some comic book writers had ordered Indian food for lunch.
https://www.archanaskitchen.com/coriander-tamarind-millet-rice-recipe
(okay it's Koriand'r from Tamaran but this is too obvious to be coincidence).

2. I now agree with Tiggum that the creators or execs made some very strange decisions regarding the overall narrative arc for the season. Episode 11 was not a good choice for a season finale. While the story gave us an interesting version of Dick's dark revenge fantasy, as a finale it lacked Titans interplay, focused mostly on 1 character, and was missing a big build up to a season-ending cliffhanger.
Feels like Episode 12 should have been the finale but it was pushed to next season instead. IMO having the second season confirmed early on has allowed for this sort of messing around and stretching out story lines.

3. I stopped viewing when the credits started to roll, then read that there was a post-credits scene and had to go back to see it. And again, it was a strange choice to show us a glimpse of 2 new characters as the final scene of the season 1 finale.

On a positive note it was nice to see Anna Diop without the Starfire hair and fur coat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Binary Logic posted:

Feels like Episode 12 should have been the finale but it was pushed to next season instead. IMO having the second season confirmed early on has allowed for this sort of messing around and stretching out story lines.

Reportedly they completely cut out two filmed episodes during post-production, including the original episode twelve. There are pictures / clips floating around of Starfire and Raven teaming up with different looks, and a sequence with Starfire on her crashing spaceship.

https://screenrant.com/titans-season-finale-became-premiere/

Oh hey, they're moving a lot of that material to the start of next season. wtf. If it's done, just show it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I only just now realised that was the last episode. When kjetting posted I thought there must have been another one that I just hadn't gotten around to watching yet, but that was actually it. Wow.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I agree about the pacing and storytelling being a little weird at times, and that it feels strange to end a season like that, but I’m still hooked enough that I want to see where they take it from here.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Ugh, I dunno. I watched it but didn't want to talk about it. I cannot believe they wasted an entire episode on something that was essentially a dream sequence, without even doing us the courtesy of trying to make us think it might be real. As a season finale it was utterly useless, and we knew exactly how it would play out as soon as we sat down.

The biggest issue I have with this show is the plotting and pacing, and this episode was a perfect example. What was the major arc for this season? The straightforward way to do it was to have the Titans come together, the evil agency comes after them, and then they triumph over the agency and learn Rachel's terrible secret for the finale. Instead we kinda triumph over the agency a little after midway through without learning much, and then things sorta just stumble along for a few more episodes. I still have no idea why they put in 45 minutes about Hawk and then ignored him completely for the rest of the season. And this episode... okay, it was kinda fun, but mostly useless except to solidify some things we already knew about Robin, and you just know that it was really just an excuse to show a fake Batman killing people and slashing up cops. It didn't really deserve more than half an episode except to tickle all of us fanboys.

I will probably watch next season, but I will be ready to bail unless they figure out where they're going pretty quickly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They didn't make batman look like a pussy, i'll sure give them that.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Yeah, I didn't like the finale. It was disappointing and pretty obviously not originally intended to be a finale. I did like the post credits scene though. And I finally figured out that Hank looks so familiar because he's the dude from Blood Drive.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quincyh posted:

Yeah, I didn't like the finale. It was disappointing and pretty obviously not originally intended to be a finale. I did like the post credits scene though. And I finally figured out that Hank looks so familiar because he's the dude from Blood Drive.

Blue Mountain State is his pivotal role. Infact you could argue Hank and Thad are the same character, just one got molested and one didn't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I didn't watch the post-credits scene and I'm not going to bother going back for it. What happened in it?

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I didn't watch the post-credits scene and I'm not going to bother going back for it. What happened in it?

Super... Boy, probably, and Krypto the Superdog.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Quincyh posted:

Super... Boy, probably, and Krypto the Superdog.

To be more specific, the Kon-el clone Superboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

To be more specific, the Kon-el clone Superboy.

Right, right, but... Krypto the Superdog definitely the most interesting thing here.