Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

pressedbunny posted:

My interpretation is that their relationship isn't healthy, as King Shark's sublot pointed out/foreshadowed. With Kiteman, Ivy would be settling for the safe, pedestrian choice and won't actually be happy. King Shark wants someone who excites him; for Ivy, that means Harley.

Also, after some ~23 years of Harley & Ivy almost or implied to be happening but then categorically denied or swerved at the last second, including the huge blowback DC recieved this past year over HiC, the Harley & Ivy mini-series, and the Valentine's Day statue queerbaiting controversy, it would be extremely egregious and troublesome for DC if this show also goes that route. Even life-long DC writers have publicly given the company poo poo for not pulling the trigger on these two properly in anything other than small-time side-stories. They basically have to wind up together, if nothing else than from a business and PR perspective.

I mean...theres a reason I stopped reading superhero comics. You hit a point where it becomes kind of clear that There is just no interest in making anything aimed at a queer audience. If there is it's either something thats quietly made, released, and canceled and you only hear about it like...two years after the fact. Or you end up with stuff like Snowflake and Safe Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BigRed0427 posted:

I mean...theres a reason I stopped reading superhero comics. You hit a point where it becomes kind of clear that There is just no interest in making anything aimed at a queer audience. If there is it's either something thats quietly made, released, and canceled and you only hear about it like...two years after the fact. Or you end up with stuff like Snowflake and Safe Space.

I will never forgive DC for demanding the wedding between Kate and Mags not happen and then giving it some mealy mouthed bullshit of "we don't want our major heroes tied down in marriages!!"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Chokes McGee posted:

I will never forgive DC for demanding the wedding between Kate and Mags not happen and then giving it some mealy mouthed bullshit of "we don't want our major heroes tied down in marriages!!"

THere is this strain of thought that says that superheros can't have happy personal lives that I will never understand.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

pressedbunny posted:

My interpretation is that their relationship isn't healthy, as King Shark's sublot pointed out/foreshadowed. With Kiteman, Ivy would be settling for the safe, pedestrian choice and won't actually be happy. King Shark wants someone who excites him; for Ivy, that means Harley.

mllaneza posted:

The problem with Harley, the reason she's a bad person is just what Ivy said, she's flighty, she'll move on to the next thing. Ivy is absolutely right to not trust Harley with her heart. Whatever can be said about her relationship with Kite Man, Ivy is wise enough not to trust her. Even if the sex was incredible.

Mostly agree with both of these, and it's part of what I love about this show: there's no easy answer here, no quick fix that will make everything better. Somebody is gonna get hurt here and nobody really deserves it - Kiteman is a good dude and Ivy genuinely loves him but also knows she's settling for the safe option. Ivy genuinely loves Harley but is correct that a relationship between the two of them runs a high risk of ending disastrously, but in her attempt to avoid that pain she's risking an entirely different hurt by denying herself what she truly wants and who she truly is. Harley genuinely loves Ivy but she DOES have a history of obsessing over her romantic interest and that passion can turn sour (to be fair, Joker was an abusive monster of a partner), but it's also who Harley is and even if she makes an effort to change the question remains if her efforts are just further proof of her willingness to subsume her own identity in favor of the relationship she wants to be in.

It's messy, it's painful, there's no path forward where somebody isn't going to end up devastated, and that's a part of what makes it so compelling, because in this show about superpowered villains living in a city that has (had?) been expelled from the United States it feels extremely real. I still can't quite believe how good this show is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Harley really has to look beyond her own needs because even though she's expressing her feelings and being honest, she's also being massively selfish in her desire to be with Ivy at the expense of other people's feelings.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I just find it adorable a dc thread is having this much serious discussion about Kite Man. KITE MAN

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blaise330 posted:

I just find it adorable a dc thread is having this much discussion about Kite Man. KITE MAN

hell yeah

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Blaise330 posted:

I just find it adorable a dc thread is having this much serious discussion about Kite Man. KITE MAN

Good grief.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Best case scenario, Kite Man falls in love with Tabitha, leaving both Ivy and King Shark free to pursue whoever they want.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Best case scenario, Kite Man falls in love with Tabitha, leaving both Ivy and King Shark free to pursue whoever they want.

Tabitha: I DEFINITELY don't want yo rear end either.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
just being able to fly might be really exciting to a shark, you don't know

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I just want to see a Roger Rabbit-style live action/animation hybrid where the versions of Harley and Ivy from this show go on a Couples Crime Night with Gotham's version of Penguin and Riddler. Is that so much to ask?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I appreciate whichever mod is responsible for the thread title changes

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Have we talked about how Kite Man is Charlie Brown grown up?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

Have we talked about how Kite Man is Charlie Brown grown up?

Complete with dating the red-head girl/kite-eating tree? Yes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Good Grief.

Anyways, I watched the second episode of Stargirl. Its fine. It's not blowing me away, but less school stuff was better and I love how STRIPE is clunky and slow moving. I like how in DC stuff being a gymnast means you're also an expert martial artist, like how being in the circus means you have super human abilities in Marvel.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

twistedmentat posted:

Good Grief.

Anyways, I watched the second episode of Stargirl. Its fine. It's not blowing me away, but less school stuff was better and I love how STRIPE is clunky and slow moving. I like how in DC stuff being a gymnast means you're also an expert martial artist, like how being in the circus means you have super human abilities in Marvel.

She's a very good gymnast and as it turns out, the cosmic staff is a very good pole to do gymnastics with. :haw:

I love everything about STRIPE so far, I hope it manages to do something cool during the show, ideally with the rocket punch.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snoopy :-(

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I don't know if anyone needs this but I was bored.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone will actually get that tattoo.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

BigRed0427 posted:

THere is this strain of thought that says that superheros can't have happy personal lives that I will never understand.
The Fantastic Four/Future Foundation are a happy family. And that's all I can think of right now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman and Lois Lane have been mostly married for a long time. Engaged in 1990 i think.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I want to see more media go full gotham and acknowledge the ludicrous nonsense that happens. Like a comic in which Superman and Lois Lane are in Marriage Counselling and it's like "So from your file, it looks like you've accidentally killed Lois twice..." "Yeah, and I've killed clark here once too with a watch that I thought was Jade, turned out to be Kryptonite! Whoops! We're kind of even on that..."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BioEnchanted posted:

I want to see more media go full gotham and acknowledge the ludicrous nonsense that happens. Like a comic in which Superman and Lois Lane are in Marriage Counselling and it's like "So from your file, it looks like you've accidentally killed Lois twice..." "Yeah, and I've killed clark here once too with a watch that I thought was Jade, turned out to be Kryptonite! Whoops! We're kind of even on that..."

The most hilarious version of this would be with the silver age versions of Lois and Clark, because they're both sociopathic assholes: https://www.cracked.com/blog/6-batshit-crazy-ways-superman-tried-to-protect-his-identity/

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just loved in Gotham when Jerome resurrected and had a conversation with Lee about what had changed since he'd been away. "I think I'll start by killing Gallavan..." "Someone already beat you to it..." "Oh really? Who :sad:" "Which time?" "You mean Gallavan came back to life before me? That son of a bitch, always upstaging me..."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I like how in DC stuff being a gymnast means you're also an expert martial artist, like how being in the circus means you have super human abilities in Marvel.

To be fair, they make it pretty obvious that the staff is basically twirling itself and doing the combat moves.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

They set up Courtney knows karate and such in the first episode when they pan around her room and have like a picture of her doing martial arts when she was younger and tossing some boxing gloves in a box.

Phylodox posted:

To be fair, they make it pretty obvious that the staff is basically twirling itself and doing the combat moves.

Also that.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Which just made me wonder why the staff doesn't do everything itself and leave her out of it. It seems more capable alone than when it is babysitting her.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

pressedbunny posted:

Which just made me wonder why the staff doesn't do everything itself and leave her out of it. It seems more capable alone than when it is babysitting her.

Because it’s inert unless she’s there, either touching it or in close proximity (which seems inconsistent so far).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BigRed0427 posted:

Maybe my response is better suited for the recommendations thread, but I'm sure several of us goons would be happy to suggest queer superhero comics, if you're interested. Conversely, I'd love to hear about some of your faves, superhero or otherwise.

Pardon me if I'm crossing a line, this just seems like a good opportunity for connection.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 31, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The most hilarious version of this would be with the silver age versions of Lois and Clark, because they're both sociopathic assholes: https://www.cracked.com/blog/6-batshit-crazy-ways-superman-tried-to-protect-his-identity/

Am I supposed to dislike Lois? Because hiding a rock that can kill Superman next to someone you think is Superman is genuinely terrible.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Am I supposed to dislike Lois? Because hiding a rock that can kill Superman next to someone you think is Superman is genuinely terrible.

The silver age had a LOT of issues.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So I see. I can't even tell if this Superman fights villains or just devotes 100% of his time to loving with Lois, Jimmy, and Lana.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

So I see. I can't even tell if this Superman fights villains or just devotes 100% of his time to loving with Lois, Jimmy, and Lana.

He's so powerful in that era that he had a LOT of time on his hands.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was just observing that both Stargirl and Harley are both gymnasts and that gives them mega rear end kicking abilities.

The montage of her destroying the sewing room to create her costume was great.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Rhyno posted:

Someone will actually get that tattoo.

I mean I don't want Ivy to feel like she's on her own

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Silver age Superman comics are essentially dark comedies in which Superman is an all powerful trickster God who both (oscassionally) saves humanity and then spends most of his time pulling elaborate and deranged pranks on his "friends".

Also, Lois Lane is an amoral rear end in a top hat deadset on exposing him to the world despite constantly being saved by him.

It's both terrible and amazing. The modern super hero thing that comes closest to it in tone is Teen Titans Go!, which is great.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

roomforthetuna posted:

I enjoyed the Amazon queen saying a traditional celebration, Harley saying "we're going to have a loving rager?" and the queen in posh voice sounding like she's going to correct it, "we're going to have... a loving rager."
This got a loud guffaw out of me.
Harley crying at the end got a loud "awwww!" out of me.

I think the preview frame of the next episode just means the next episode won't be where anything Harley/Ivy gets resolved, not that the show's suddenly going to go down some bad route. There are enough episodes left to shake things up and let things settle, nothing wrong with another shakeup now. I know everyone here wants the Joker to be gone forever but I have to assume the entire cast of this show (minus any expensive voices) is gonna be rotating in and out for the duration of its entire run, which includes Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alan Tudyk voices Clayface and the Joker.