Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Killer robot posted:

Almost everything. I'll probably never get over Cindy's "DADDY DADDY DADDY, let me kill her!"

Cindy is the best part of this whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Where does Stargirl rank if I think shows like the Flash and Titans are terrible but Doom Patrol and Harley Quinn are pretty great?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Zesty posted:

Where does Stargirl rank if I think shows like the Flash and Titans are terrible but Doom Patrol and Harley Quinn are pretty great?

Stargirl is pretty low-quality CW fare. If that’s your jam, you will love it. You won’t find the weirdness of Doom Patrol or the excellent writing/comedy of Harley Quinn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zesty posted:

Stargirl has a clearly higher budget and better production values but if you don't like CW shows you probably won't like it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Stargirl is pretty much Legends of Tomorrow* if it had a budget.

* Maybe, like, season 2 or so, when they were dumb and silly but hadn't yet gone full stupid and crazy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The only other key difference is that all of the main characters are intended to be dumb teenagers rather than full grown adults with the obvious plot beats and character behaviors and interactions that entail

The CW shows, fwiw, are relatively broad at least insofar as Black Lightning and Legends of Tomorrow are fairly distinct from their other CW counterparts. Both have directions and tones that aren't so deep in the melodrama that CW shows have with the former being better balanced in tone and more clearly focused on its particular political perspective and the latter just jettisons drama entirely and is basically more akin to superhero sitcom

I'm actually really interested to see how Black Lightning is gonna come out next season because the obvious recent events are gonna flavor it a lot and it's a bit of fortunate coincidence that the police officer character was killed off as that makes the plots for that season a bit less complicated as there's no more major police character to either vilify (or him struggle against vilification) or try to compromise despite him being a cop.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

muscles like this! posted:

Stargirl has a clearly higher budget and better production values but if you don't like CW shows you probably won't like it.

Lechtansi posted:

Stargirl is pretty low-quality CW fare. If that’s your jam, you will love it. You won’t find the weirdness of Doom Patrol or the excellent writing/comedy of Harley Quinn.

Alright. Someone was telling me it's "very much like Doom Patrol" and nothing I've seen out of it gives me that impression.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I don't think that's fair, Stargirl has virtually none of the gormless melodrama or wheel-spinning filler of the typical CW fare. It's more like season 1 Flash in terms of overall writing quality and tone.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zesty posted:

Alright. Someone was telling me it's "very much like Doom Patrol" and nothing I've seen out of it gives me that impression.

that person must have been hallucinating

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad it looks like we're going to be getting some resolution this season to the whole Courtney's dad thing because her blanket assumption has been kind of annoying.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, Henry Jr's mom is an established character. Merry, the Girl of 1000 Gimmicks

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chokes McGee posted:

It's very much like doom patrol in that every member of the JSA has the intellect and impulse control of Cliff

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Azhais posted:

It's very much like doom patrol in that every member of the JSA has the intellect and impulse control of Cliff

Also it's similar in that most characters invokved have heads and hands. Furthermore it's set on a planet with an atmosphere.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

McSpanky posted:

It's more like season 1 Flash in terms of overall writing quality and tone.
This is correct. Like the high end of the CW superhero shows, before they go off the rails and introduce 200 additional pointless recurring characters to not give a poo poo about.
Also the teenage melodrama fits better in Stargirl than it does in the CW shows where everyone is an adult with teenage melodrama.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Azhais posted:

Now I want Cliff reacting to the kind of stuff mini-JSA gets up to

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Killer robot posted:

Almost everything. I'll probably never get over Cindy's "DADDY DADDY DADDY, let me kill her!"

That was so loving fantastic.

I also loved Court going "we're cousins!" then launching herself at Henry Jr.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

That was so loving fantastic.

I also loved Court going "we're cousins!" then launching herself at Henry Jr.

I was expecting Yolanda to suddenly show up and see it and go "WTF!?"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Chokes McGee posted:

Now I want Cliff reacting to the kind of stuff mini-JSA gets up to

what the fuuuuuuuuuck

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Cindy is the best part of this whole show.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Zesty posted:

Chokes McGee posted:

It's "like Doom Patrol" in that it as an HBO Max show has a bigger budget and more "movie-like" visuals than the CW shows, also shorter seasons and a tighter plot with less cheap TV drama and filler.

Still, it's a show about a 15 year old gymnast and her friends at the school cafeteria loser's table becoming superheroes.
If that description turns you off, you probably wouldn't like it. But if you're still down it's really good at being what it is, the writing is pretty good and often very funny, there's some great fight scenes, effects and stunt work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the phrase "it's like a CW show" means significantly different things to different people.

The writing on this show is significantly stronger and has, I think, a different focus to something like The Flash. However, it does share some similar preoccupations. There are teenagers with significant leading roles (though the proportion of adults who have significant plots is higher than even something like, I dunno, The 100), and some of the show is set in a high school. However, the interpersonal emotional drama is subordinate to the action narrative (something that I'd argue is not true of even Legends of Tomorrow, the least similar DC CW show of them all).

It's an action show, not an action soap.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The newest episode of Stargirl is the best one so far. This is easily the best DC show on the CW.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
New Doom Patrol I love that the queen of bad ideas had a water bed.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
doom patrol : flit and silver tongue own

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

New Doom Patrol I love that the queen of bad ideas had a water bed.

Dude... she should come to this universe in 2020. She would get so fat.

I love this silly arse show so much.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

In this episode lots of Doom Patrol characters were very much like Stargirl.

Fantastic stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I am completely unengaged with Rita's subplot. It's definitely a lot more real and down to earth compared to the other subplots, but Rita finally leaning into becoming a superhero to try and overcome her traumas is a good turn.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I’ve been “watching” Lois and Clark as background noise while I study. It’s amazing to me this was a prime time show on a major network. Sometimes the cheesy parts can be hilarious.

Superhero shows have come a long way since the 90s.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Spacebump posted:

Superhero shows have come a long way since the 90s.
They sunk a long way in the 90s you mean. Consider Automan, Beastmaster, The Greatest American Hero and Adam West Batman, for example!
(I mean example of how it was awesome before the 90s.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God drat, this was an A+ episode of Doom Patrol.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Bears mentioning again that the Doom Patrol opening credits and music are great. Usually I resent having to sit through the same opening credits more than once or twice, but I always enjoy these ones.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

It took me until this long that Roni is a new twist on Ronald Evers, one of Cyborg's childhood friends turned enemies. Honestly, that plotline is doing a lot more to grab me now that its tying back together to the other characters. One of the best understated moments of last week's ep is Vic realizing that his powers, much like the Doom Patrol, is also built on sacrifice and death. But its so far removed that he could ignore it until it was right in front of him.

Doom Patrol's really loving good.

edit: god, actually, what I really love about Dumb Patrol is how the worst impulses of the heroes is ultimately not that far off from their normal decisions. Vic still wants to pursue a destructive relationship because he wants to feel like a hero again. Larry still didn't give his family space. Roni literally chooses to steal power built from negative decisions rather than be honest in a relationship. Its so well-written and so good at showing all their flaws.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 24, 2020

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Re: Stargirl
I don't like how useless Dr. Mid-Nite was once she lost contact with Chuck. All the rest of the All-New JSA are able to fight against dozens of brainwashed cultist (Courtney even without her staff) but Beth is just a scared kid in a Halloween costume. I worry about her she is great and really got her heart in the right place. I guess what i'm saying is give her the MOTHERFUCKING OWL!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Beth is just the sidekick, the Goggles are the real hero here.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Courtney's the only one to show any value without her gadget so far, thanks to her super power of highschool gymnastics. She should really just take the goggles, hourglass and cat mask for herself. Or better yet, give them to Pat.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Yolanda's claws are holding her back, jsyk

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nerdietalk posted:

It took me until this long that Roni is a new twist on Ronald Evers, one of Cyborg's childhood friends turned enemies. Honestly, that plotline is doing a lot more to grab me now that its tying back together to the other characters. One of the best understated moments of last week's ep is Vic realizing that his powers, much like the Doom Patrol, is also built on sacrifice and death. But its so far removed that he could ignore it until it was right in front of him.

Doom Patrol's really loving good.

edit: god, actually, what I really love about Dumb Patrol is how the worst impulses of the heroes is ultimately not that far off from their normal decisions. Vic still wants to pursue a destructive relationship because he wants to feel like a hero again. Larry still didn't give his family space. Roni literally chooses to steal power built from negative decisions rather than be honest in a relationship. Its so well-written and so good at showing all their flaws.
Holy gently caress I did not know that about Roni.
I really am shocked how elegantly crafted this show is. I loved the old comics but was shocked how much some of the bits with Danny the Street made me weep and he wasn't even a main character. One of my new favourites.

I Love Loosies posted:

Re: Stargirl
I don't like how useless Dr. Mid-Nite was once she lost contact with Chuck. All the rest of the All-New JSA are able to fight against dozens of brainwashed cultist (Courtney even without her staff) but Beth is just a scared kid in a Halloween costume. I worry about her she is great and really got her heart in the right place. I guess what i'm saying is give her the MOTHERFUCKING OWL!

pressedbunny posted:

Courtney's the only one to show any value without her gadget so far, thanks to her super power of highschool gymnastics. She should really just take the goggles, hourglass and cat mask for herself. Or better yet, give them to Pat.

As much as I get annoyed by how teen this show can be at times I don't mind Beth being useless in a fight. Too many other CW shows jump to everyone being way too capable too soon. If it takes her till next season to start seriously training then I am down. I'm hoping in time she develops her own skills and confidence as the detective type and doesn't feel like she has to rely on Chuck. Good potential. Courtney getting humbled earlier seemed to have cut down slightly on her reckless want to go Leroy Jenkins. Slightly. Even Wildcat seems to have some competence although obviously new at this. Hourman? Hourman almost tanked the mission because he wanted revenge. Dude's an annoying, arrogant hothead that doesn't seem to want to learn or listen to anyone. I know I was the exact same way as a teen but its aggravating to watch. He was already beaten by Sportsmaster and Tigress yet wants to blindly fight Solomon Grundy and eff everyone else? I kinda hope Grundy beats the snot out of him before his gets saved by his team. Hopefully afterwards he stops being a twit. Sucks as I liked the comic Hourman in his many forms. First junkie superhero.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wildcat is the only one of them that trained previously and actually continues to do so

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Azhais posted:

Wildcat is the only one of them that trained previously and actually continues to do so

She's easily the best of Courtney's recruits. Also, I hope Courtney never stops aiming for the face with the cosmic staff. You'd think she would have after brainwave.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DogsInSpace! posted:

As much as I get annoyed by how teen this show can be at times I don't mind Beth being useless in a fight. Too many other CW shows jump to everyone being way too capable too soon. If it takes her till next season to start seriously training then I am down. I'm hoping in time she develops her own skills and confidence as the detective type and doesn't feel like she has to rely on Chuck. Good potential. Courtney getting humbled earlier seemed to have cut down slightly on her reckless want to go Leroy Jenkins. Slightly. Even Wildcat seems to have some competence although obviously new at this. Hourman? Hourman almost tanked the mission because he wanted revenge. Dude's an annoying, arrogant hothead that doesn't seem to want to learn or listen to anyone. I know I was the exact same way as a teen but its aggravating to watch. He was already beaten by Sportsmaster and Tigress yet wants to blindly fight Solomon Grundy and eff everyone else? I kinda hope Grundy beats the snot out of him before his gets saved by his team. Hopefully afterwards he stops being a twit. Sucks as I liked the comic Hourman in his many forms. First junkie superhero.

It's the CW, so one assumes Beth will have washboard abs and be doing the salmon ladder by the end of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
From DCeased - Hope at World's End #5:

(he was a zombie and ran smack into Wonder Woman's invisible jet)