Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This was originally the Titans thread but now it's the general DC shows thread so I've moved the Titans-specific OP to my second post.
Season two discussion: 2019-09-07
Season three: 2021-08-13.

Doom Patrol posting starts here (2019-02-12).
Season 2, 2020-06-26.
Season 3, 2021-09-24.

Swamp Thing discussion started on 2019-06-01.

Harley Quinn: 2019-11-29.
Season two: 2020-04-04.
Season three: 2022-07-28.

Stargirl: 2020-05-19.
Season two: 2021-08-11.
Season three: 2022-09-02

Naomi: 2022-01-12.

Peacemaker: 2022-01-14 now has its own thread.

There are also separate threads for: The Flash and Superman & Lois.

And now-finished shows include: Gotham (it was the best); Arrow; Crisis on Infinite Earths (the 2019/20 crossover); Black Lightning; Supergirl; Legends of Tomorrow; and Batwoman.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:firstpost:

Haven't watched yet, but it looks interesting with the current slump of shows on air.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Highlight for me was the "The Flying Graysons" sign in the Robin flashback as his parents plummeted to their deaths. Great spot for a joke.
Also Robin just grinding people's faces off on gravel and glass.
Also the police watching a video of a bunch of guys doing a drug deal and shooting machine guns at Robin for talking to them, and then being like "gently caress these masked vigilantes".

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
So what channel or network is this on? I can't seem to figure it out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nude posted:

So what channel or network is this on? I can't seem to figure it out.

DC streaming... get out your wallet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And Netflix eventually, for those who are overseas.

Eventually.

(Oh, and I liked it. I totally read Fire And Forget lady as the season villain, even though I gather she's not one In The Comics or whatever. She's cool, I'm there for that.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

And Netflix eventually, for those who are overseas.

Eventually.

(Oh, and I liked it. I totally read Fire And Forget lady as the season villain, even though I gather she's not one In The Comics or whatever. She's cool, I'm there for that.)

She's not the badguy, she's just in a tight spot. The badguys have already shown up though... or the henchmen

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
This was so edgy that I am cut all over. When I told my pal I was going to watch it he said "Robin says 'gently caress Batman'" and I laughed because I thought he was joking. He was not joking. Robin's all, like, "yeah, I left Batman because he solves everything with his fists and I didn't want to be like him," after killing dudes and ripping faces off. I will continue watching because what else would I do?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

superLINUS posted:

This was so edgy that I am cut all over. When I told my pal I was going to watch it he said "Robin says 'gently caress Batman'" and I laughed because I thought he was joking. He was not joking. Robin's all, like, "yeah, I left Batman because he solves everything with his fists and I didn't want to be like him," after killing dudes and ripping faces off. I will continue watching because what else would I do?

That's Dick's curse though, he's been programmed to be mini Batman and he hates it. But he'a fuckin good at it. Takes him being a leader to get his head right.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Moved from first post:

I'm vaguely aware of the Teen Titans as a thing but I've never read any of the comics or watched any of the TV shows, so this is the first version I've seen of most of these characters. I know Robin mostly from the old Batman TV series and from the movie Batman & Robin, so I pretty much don't know anything about this version of him either. I don't know if this show is going to end up being any good or not, but I've decided to watch it, and make this thread in case anyone else feels like talking about it.

Episode one: Titans

This is Detective Grayson. He's a bit of a dick. In fact, he's a lot of a dick. His colleagues don't like him and he doesn't seem to have much time for them either. He's just been assigned a new partner, whom he has mostly ignored, because he used to have a partner and he didn't like it. He's supposedly got a heart of gold under that rough exterior, but we haven't seen much evidence of that so far.

This is Robin. He used to be Batman's sidekick but now he's gone out on his own and moved to a new city, where people aren't generally too happy about him showing up. Probably because his method of "crime-fighting" mostly involves beating people to death in dark alleys.

This is Rachel Roth. She seems to be possessed by a demon. Some fanatical religious types want to kill her, presumably because of the demon thing. They also killed her mother for reasons that are less clear. The specific one who was after her in this episode is dead now, but I'm guessing there's more of them out there.

This is Coriander Kory Anders. At least, that's what it says on her ID. She woke up in a crashed car with no memories and a bunch of people trying to kill her. Instead, she killed them with he magic flamethrower powers. She's apparently looking for Rachel for some reason, but I guess not even she knows why.

Wikipedia tells me that this is Garfield "Gar" Logan. He was a tiger for a little while, but he turned back.

Rachel's mum was murdered and she ran away, leading to her meeting Dick Grayson, whom she'd previously been dreaming about - specifically, about that time his parents died right in front of him. I guess they've got that in common now. Then the zealot got hold of her again and was about to kill her before Dick arrived. She turned out not to need that much rescuing though, since her demonic side made the dude literally vomit up his guts.

Meanwhile, across the world, Coriander's quest to recover her identity was interrupted by getting shot. Fortunately it just seemed to activate her super powers, and she didn't seem too surprised by any of it. Does that mean she's getting her memories back already? I don't know. Either way she seems to be following up on the "find Rachel" plan.

superLINUS posted:

When I told my pal I was going to watch it he said "Robin says 'gently caress Batman'" and I laughed because I thought he was joking. He was not joking.
I laughed when it happened and then went back and rewatched that bit because I was sure I hadn't actually heard what I thought I'd heard.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 2, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
This show's tone could more or less be described as "what if a Marvel Netflix series were set in the Arrowverse?"

I don't think it works very well at all in the first episode, but it's at least weird enough that I might watch the next one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Summary sounds bad and way too edgy. How do we know this takes place in the Arrowverse though?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

Summary sounds bad and way too edgy. How do we know this takes place in the Arrowverse though?

It doesn't. DC have said as much.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

It doesn't. DC have said as much.

Supergirl didn't when it started either though. It's just a matter of the people in charge deciding a crossover would be good for ratings.

But yeah, as of now it's its own, self-contained thing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
yeah, I didn't mean the Arrowverse part literally, just in that it leans into the fantastical, comic book-y aspects of a superhero universe (and looks to do so more in upcoming episodes) despite the aforementioned Netflix Marvel-esque tonal and aesthetic choices, which I find very weird and somewhat off-putting thus far, but ymmv

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 17, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just from the promos, it looks like it takes place in the movie universe. At least the tone makes it seem that way. Of course, since they have a different person playing Cyborg, it's probably not the case until they say otherwise.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

Supergirl didn't when it started either though. It's just a matter of the people in charge deciding a crossover would be good for ratings.

But yeah, as of now it's its own, self-contained thing.

The thing i read basically said, well it's DC so never say never. But's not planned. I think they are aiming to be a bit closer in tone to the movies because the format allows them a lot more freedom.

Xelkelvos posted:

Just from the promos, it looks like it takes place in the movie universe. At least the tone makes it seem that way. Of course, since they have a different person playing Cyborg, it's probably not the case until they say otherwise.
Just a different universe i think.

In the movies, batman is a lot older, JT is dead.

In Titan's Batman is younger and JT isn't dead.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 17, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

Because if there's one thing the public wants, it's more DCEU poo poo.

The only DC movie I'm looking forward to at ALL is the Joker movie, since it looks like it's not tied to that trash fire.

ED: Why is there no recut of the awful Titans trailer that goes from "gently caress Batman" to the Sadfleck meme?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hawk is awesome!

This show is my jam.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Episode Two: Hawk and Dove

This is Hawk. He's an arsehole. Are there any likeable characters in this show? Not so far. He begins this episode a captive of the criminals he went to... kill? Probably kill. This show seems to like killing. He's awfully flippant for someone who's about to be tortured to death and it doesn't really make a lot of sense since I don't think he knew that his girlfriend was about tor rescue him or even knew where he was.

This is Dove. She's been partners, romantically, with Hawk for three-and-a-half years now, and partners in vigilante justice for longer than that. They used to work with Robin, but Batman didn't approve of them. And also Robin's a dick. She also used to work with Robin's dick. She's just recently convinced Hawk that they should retire after they take out this last big criminal organisation, and he's agreed. So obviously one of them's not making it out of this episode alive.

Speaking of Dick, he and Rachel are on their way to Hawk and Dove's place. Robin plans to dump Rachel there because, say it with me, he's a dick. Absolutely no one is going to be OK with this plan when they find out about it, and Hawk and Dove are barely going to tolerate him while he is there because, well, Hawk really doesn't like him and Dove is somewhat conflicted.

Meanwhile, do you remember Dick's new partner? Well, if you don't, don't worry, I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to get to know her. For now, she's following up on the weird poo poo that happened last week, including the guy whose insides got liquefied by Rachel's demonic powers. The medical examiner here makes a weird joke about being worried for her safety since this guy's death is incredibly weird and disturbing, but then plays it off like as though it's completely normal and nothing to worry about?

While Dick goes out to get pizza (instead of having it delivered like a normal person), Rachel looks up what the news is saying about her mum's murder. Then she Googles Dick and finds out he was "sheltered" by Bruce Wayne after his parents died. Then Robin gets a fax of the autopsy photo and Rachel's demon does some spooky poo poo.

Next we meet this nice, wholesome family. Not too wholesome though - the dad says "gently caress". But just when you're starting to wonder whether they're going to be murdered or turn evil it turns out they're actually sleeper agents for that group of religious fanatics who want to kill Rachel. And they've got syringes of some... thing? They inject themselves with it and...?

They go on a family road trip murder spree, starting with Dick's new partner (I guess I don't need to bother learning her name now) and then moving on to Dove - which is a real twist because they were telegraphing pretty hard that Hawk was the one who was going to die. I mean, not the sort of twist that makes you rethink anything you thought you knew or provides a different perspective on past events, just one of those ones where you go "Oh, I thought one thing was going to happen but then a different, equally plausible and not particularly surprising thing happened."

Also Robin beat some more people to death.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno, I'm in no way wedded to the canon, but perhaps that's why I enjoy it so much?

It's fun and pacey and there's some decent spectacle and it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think this is the best DC thing since Batman vs Robin.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

I think this is the best DC thing since Batman vs Robin.

Not a fan of Batman Ninja?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not a fan of Batman Ninja?

I hate anime, i'm a big fan of the main Batman animated movies and the Arkham movies though. Not so much the one shots, some are ok.

I've been a Batman fan all my life, and Dick is my fav DC character. This ultra violent edge is exactly how i've always seen Batfam.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

« TV RIP › Titans - "but his eyeballs and testicles would have burst..."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought the first two episodes were pretty good for what it was. It's definitely not on the comedy end of the spectrum.
I like how there's no "secrets" being framed as drama.

"gently caress Batman" was taken out of context in the trailers, it seems to me. I actually thought it was pretty funny given the whole situation surrounding Robin saying that.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I just wanted to say i really appreciate the thread and the summaries. Thank you!

So far i'm intrigued and will stay with the program.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The first episode was a lot better than the terrible trailers showed them as.

The second episode, not so much, if only because there wasn't much about Starfire or Beast Boy. A combination of comic backstory and titles of future episodes may lead to a silly thing - If Dawn doesn't survive her fall, then we're gonna have Hank/Hawk losing two Doves...

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

As someone who hasn't read the comics and so could only judge this on its own merit, I’m liking it so far. The amnesia plot device dampened my enthusiasim a bit because it’s such a cliché, but I’m willing to see where they go with it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bakeneko posted:

As someone who hasn't read the comics and so could only judge this on its own merit, I’m liking it so far. The amnesia plot device dampened my enthusiasim a bit because it’s such a cliché, but I’m willing to see where they go with it.

Amnesia has been a plot point for her before, historically.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, I really liked this. I feel like I'm dumb and bad given all the negative press, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first couple episodes in a way I don't usually feel when I'm watching pilots. I usually hate child characters too, but Spooky Girl was really interesting, and I don't have any idea who she is beyond the magic cape girl from the cartoon that I never really watched.

I really like Dick Grayson, and despite his being a bit of a jerk, it makes a lot of sense for the sort of person he'd be if he's in his 20s and had a break with Batman. His fight scenes have been excellent too, and I'm really glad to see adult Robin being almost as scary and brutal as the actual Batman would be -- last episode he even got that move from the video games where he stealth-grabs a guy and hauls him up to the ceiling screaming and firing his gun wildly. The face peelings and eye stabbings are a little much, but I'm trying to accept that Hollywood won't accept a no-kill Batman/Robin anymore, so I'm not dwelling on it.

And Hawk is awesome, and I want to see him get killed so bad. Any more blatant and it'd be unrealistic, but he's just such a great overconfident jock-type that keeps almost getting his nuts snipped off because of it.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Maybe it's just because I liked the actress, but the double-fridging of Dove really rubbed me the wrong way.

Still, I will be following this show because enjoy both comics and hate-watching TV.

EDIT:

Phenotype posted:

And Hawk is awesome, and I want to see him get killed so bad. Any more blatant and it'd be unrealistic, but he's just such a great overconfident jock-type that keeps almost getting his nuts snipped off because of it.

I love him too. I can't not recognize him as Thad from Blue Mountain State, which makes every scene he's in hilarious.

Svensken fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 22, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Svensken posted:

Maybe it's jsuet because I liked the actress, but the double-fridging of Dove really rubbed me the wrong way.

Still I will be following this show because enjoy both comics and hate-watching TV.

EDIT:

I love him too. I can't not recognize him as Thad from Blue Mountain State, which makes every scene he's in hilarious.

She might not be dead yet... I'm tipping she'll have some magic help her.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
She’s in the recurring cast and has credits in most of the upcoming episodes; she’ll be fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ville Valo posted:

She’s in the recurring cast and has credits in most of the upcoming episodes; she’ll be fine.

Could be flashbacks or hallucinations. :shrug:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Svensken posted:

Maybe it's just because I liked the actress, but the double-fridging of Dove really rubbed me the wrong way.

Did I miss something? What do you guys mean about two Doves dying?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Phenotype posted:

Did I miss something? What do you guys mean about two Doves dying?

Possible spoilers, concerning future episode titles and backstory from the comics: In the comics, the team Hawk and Dove was originally two brothers. One was a right-wing rear end in a top hat, one was a left-wing bleeding-heart type, but it took both of their "extremes" to get the job done and save the day. A whole ying-yang thing.

As time passed, Dove ends up getting killed and Hawk picks up a new Dove, who is a woman. I don't know if they hook up in the comics, but obviously Hawk and Dove-2 have done so in this series - although Dove-2 also boned Robin/Dick Grayson at some point.

A later episode may address the first Dove, Hank's brother, and his death more directly due to an episode title.

My original comment was poking fun at how Batman goes through loads of Robins. Dick splits, Jason gets crowbar'd, Tim... Stacey, technically... and finally Damien.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Another thing I appreciated about this show, especially after finishing Daredevil S3 this week, is how, when some random goon gets hit, you see a spray of blood and then the guy doesn't get back up. Because obviously, if you're smashing someone in the face with a heavy steel bar, they're going to stay down because their face is broken and they're heavily concussed. It always drives me a little crazy to watch Matt Murdock hit a guy four times in the face and then do a cool flippy kick right to their head, and then five seconds later the guy gets up like nothing happened.

Arrow is better about this too, but the fight scenes are so much weaker that I don't really count them. Shoot a guy in the shoulder with an arrow, they stay down forever like they got knocked out. Flip a guy over and throw him to the ground, knocked out. It goes too far in the other direction, where I feel like a lot of those goons shouldn't be incapacitated at all.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Phenotype posted:

Another thing I appreciated about this show, especially after finishing Daredevil S3 this week, is how, when some random goon gets hit, you see a spray of blood and then the guy doesn't get back up. Because obviously, if you're smashing someone in the face with a heavy steel bar, they're going to stay down because their face is broken and they're heavily concussed. It always drives me a little crazy to watch Matt Murdock hit a guy four times in the face and then do a cool flippy kick right to their head, and then five seconds later the guy gets up like nothing happened.

Arrow is better about this too, but the fight scenes are so much weaker that I don't really count them. Shoot a guy in the shoulder with an arrow, they stay down forever like they got knocked out. Flip a guy over and throw him to the ground, knocked out. It goes too far in the other direction, where I feel like a lot of those goons shouldn't be incapacitated at all.

Daredevil is actually more real. IRL if you are struck unconscious for more than a few seconds you probably have brain damage.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I'm aware that getting knocked out isn't like in the movies, but I feel like the goons in Daredevil SHOULD have gotten knocked out, or at least too concussed to get up off the ground and start fighting again. The S3 hallway fight was especially bad about this - the first five minutes or so are Matt fighting the same three guys who just keep getting back up. It's fine for my action hero to take ridiculous punishment and get back into the fight, but not every random goon.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 23, 2018