Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Roth posted:

B-but why?

Nobody knows. Fox had kind of a reason to do that with The Orville because it had an actual broadcast schedule, but a streaming show ? Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gimmick Account posted:

but we can't have the offspring actually react to them as such and will play it for laughs instead, because family values in television'. That's pretty daring for a work of Western animation, even nowadays.

I cannot repeat it often enough: I do not like superhero stuff, but I really like this show.

The credit sequence for The Quinzells has some amazingly hosed up stuff in it. And then the reality of the situation is so much worse. It's Married With Children on a baaaad acid trip.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I mean, Batman: TAS was good, but it wasn't consistently this good.

Between Batman:TAS and Harley Quinn, really only Young Justice stands at their level.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

she's going to die, but from the corpse will grow an entirely new poison ivy with a different personality and voice actress like mr. peanut dr. who

No way. Whatever else they do, keep the same voice actress. She's killing it as Ivy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do get the impression that being around Harley and Ivy is actually having a moderately positive effect on Psycho being able to actually act like a civilised human around women. Mostly.

I really think he has been showing signs of progress. "Thirty bucks" notwithstanding.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

It has a different "root for these terrible people" vibe than the other two.

But they aren't terrible people. They're the bad guys, but they're okay people.

Well, Dr. Psycho is a bad person, but he seems to be working on it.

Daikloktos posted:

and the characterization not quite maintaining consistency

That's not inconsistency as characters, it's growth.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Currently in the middle of episode 2 and REALLY not feeling it. Should I jump out?

Mmmm, no. Four episode rule for half-hour shows. And this one relies on her crew, heavily. You'll meet them next.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

There was a moment when I thought that Bane would legit join Harley, the other guys are dicks .

He should. Of the Rogue's Gallery he's closest to what Ivy described as being "a bad guy, but not a bad person." He'd fit in pretty well with the rest of her crew, and the (relatively more) supportive environment would be good for him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, I was just wishlisting the Batgirl thing, but then hey, second episode. Ivy and Babs seemed to know each other, did I miss something in the first season?

At least the mouse lived this time.

Uh, bad news about the mouse. But good news about an excellent episode all around !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Someone I know works at a lab and because of Covid19 and they have to euthanize a lot of the test mice they have because there is no research going on. That scene reminded me that.

Awww bullSHIT. I work at a lab too, and there wasn't a single question about a minimal staff in the animal labs being counted as Essential Business Continuity Staffing. You acquaintance's bosses SUCK.

e. Someone tell Ivy !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I know some people who have seen Timm's personal sketchbooks. The stories they told.

Yea she is super pissed off about it but the University isn't paying to keep mice if they're not being used. Cheap bastards.

Lucky for us we had a really good quarter, we have patient trials in progress, and manufacturing is still running. We can keep the animal labs going indefinitely, and will !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That's the only way this can end.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

Oh now you're messing with me. Supes fucks too? I assumed it was a Ken doll situation.

Ken doll, not Kent doll. Duh.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Ivy is said to still have issues, but has been successful in seeking help, and her villainy is portrayed as, well, permissable villainy. If someone in an extravagant costume shot dead the entire board of Koch Industries, would anyone - other than people who wished that they, too, could be rich enough to be on the board of Koch Industries - really care?

"I'm not a supervillain, I identify as an ecoterrorist" is one of my favorite lines from the whole series from any character.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

This show is just rocketing up through the ranks of the best superhero stuff ever. If you aren't watching it you are making a terrible mistake.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

This cartoon has been pretty much on point all the way through. I wasn't a big fan of the first couple episodes, but that might have just been because the characters haven't had a chance to play off each other yet. Or because there were slightly different than you might have expected.

Once they got the whole crew on board this show hit its stride. They don't have to have the crew in every episode, although they should. This episode had enough good performances from non-Harley/Ivy characters that it made up for missing Psych, King Shark, and Clayface. I would however love for next episode to be about them, with Ivy and Harley coming back at the end. plus a possibly distraught Kite Man - his new fiance did disappear right after saying yes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

A bunch of anime's been delayed because of Covid so I wouldn't hold my breath on that. There's not a specifically listed reason why, but my personal guess is inability to do VA stuff.

More likely it's low-level animators who don't have the equipment at home to do their work. Your VA has an agent and a career, it's on them to have a good mic and recording space if they're WFH. A junior animator would need a good monitor, mid-range PC, and probably a good tablet to WFH.

And no, a lot of companies are run by people who aren't competent enough to come up with "box up their workstation at the studio and send it to them". And of those companies that manage it, not all of those systems get set up right at home by artists.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I missed it and I like it that way. gently caress all y'all.

e.

After Young Justice S3, see Granny Goodness again was a nice treat. Especially the smashing her with a rock part.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I'm surprised we haven't had an episode about Harley trying to break away from her circus performer steeze though.

I'm not, it's her basic skill set for fighting, and something she's been doing since she was a teen.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That was great. Lots of good gags that they leaned into, going totally 'Little Mermaid' with the under the sea stuff, King Shark getting a whole subplot to himself, Themyskira as a resort, bachelorette shenanigans, and of course that those moments

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Kite Man wants to marry Ivy because he doesn't think he's ever going to do better than her

What ? drat right Kite Man isn't going to do better than Ivy, that's a really loving high bar. Sure, there's the murder thing - she's as into it as Harley is if the cause is right - but she's a together, sincere person who is honest with herself about her own poo poo. That marriage has legs, they can grow together.

MizPiz posted:

[spoiler]I'm glad Mrs. Freeze got a rebound :unsmith:

Yeah. Who knows, maybe this weekend keeps her from consuming herself with grief and lets her have a real life, not going all supervillainy. It'd be another new direction for a character on a show that's full of them.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's weird. I hadn't consciously thought about this until now, but between this episode and the last one I'm having more and more difficulty denying that Harley is, you know, a bad person. They try to justify her actions by having her mostly just murder other supervillains, but even in this episode she does that because she gets off on murder and wanton destruction. It's hard to root for anyone, romantically speaking, when they're jubilant psychopaths.

Ivy is cool with murder, she just does it for a cause. The problem with Harley, the reason she's a bad person is just what Ivy said, she's flighty, she'll move on to the next thing. Ivy is absolutely right to not trust Harley with her heart. Whatever can be said about her relationship with Kite Man, Ivy is wise enough not to trust her. Even if the sex was incredible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Snoopy :-(

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

Thinking back to when Kipling implied that Niles Caulder would have killed the de-creator cult kid to save the world.

It should be obvious that Kipling is the failsafe in case Dorothy outlives Niles.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

All in all I think it was a good thing that Cliff wasn't there for his daughter.

Out of all the father issues we just saw, Cliff is still the best. Even with the finger thing.

Yeah, it IS a low bar.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Interesting. I've never really watched anything animated since I was a teenager watching DBZ. Maybe I should check it out.

Also check out Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix if you're coming back to animated series..

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Adnor posted:

Now I gotta watch Harley Quinn.

You do, you really do. Everyone should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It is increasingly common for physicians to get PhDs but I'm not sure I've come across one in psychiatry yet. In my area it seems to be more common with neurosurgeons and neurologists, because clearly they aren't qualified enough as MDs.

We're a biotech and employ a lot of PhD/MD people. I've seen that on someone's nameplate on a cube.

Aces High posted:

I think Kite Man is my favourite, possibly because he's just Mark Lily from Ugly Americans

Hell yeah!