Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I really need a crossover with Archer now.

The preview thumbnail sure is a whole lotta something, but sadly Patrick Schumacker already spoiled that would happen before S2 even began airing, even following-up saying the 29th would be "a significant date", so they already dropped the ball on that surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Harley hanging out with Lobo sounds like it'd be entertaining for sure.
It happened in comics and wasn't. Harley's Little Black Book has her meeting another hero/villain for a one-off team-up each issue and the sixth issue was her and Lobo. Sadly it's very underwhelming. There's just a lot of arbitrary fighting and then they bone. Perhaps the limited scope of a single issue meant they avoided doing much substantial, and the usual whacky humour is undermined by really dark and grungy art, but either way it's the weakest issue of the series and there aren't the hijinks you would expect from those two meeting. It's just punching, explosions, screwing, done.

It did spark a temporarily popular hypothesis that Harley is Crush's mother, but Harley's Little Black Book is extremely non-canon so that's unlikely.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did DC steal Domino from Marvel?
That appears to be Tigress, who debuted in the 1930s though presumably this version will be based on the more recent second incarnation who started in the late 80s. Either way, she came before Domino.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
My interpretation is that their relationship isn't healthy, as King Shark's sublot pointed out/foreshadowed. With Kiteman, Ivy would be settling for the safe, pedestrian choice and won't actually be happy. King Shark wants someone who excites him; for Ivy, that means Harley.

Also, after some ~23 years of Harley & Ivy almost or implied to be happening but then categorically denied or swerved at the last second, including the huge blowback DC recieved this past year over HiC, the Harley & Ivy mini-series, and the Valentine's Day statue queerbaiting controversy, it would be extremely egregious and troublesome for DC if this show also goes that route. Even life-long DC writers have publicly given the company poo poo for not pulling the trigger on these two properly in anything other than small-time side-stories. They basically have to wind up together, if nothing else than from a business and PR perspective.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Which just made me wonder why the staff doesn't do everything itself and leave her out of it. It seems more capable alone than when it is babysitting her.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
There's really nothing else to Punchline beyond 'likes The Joker and kills people'. Did y'all see Birds Of Prey? She's just that version of Zsasz, in thigh-highs. Her background is a fast-tracked version of Harley's and she has zero personality or defining traits. (So far.)

Granted, it's early days for her, but still I don't really see her fitting in to this show unless the HQ writers take it upon themselves to invent substance for her that the comics have yet to provide. Basically write their own new character but call her Punchline. As she is she's not interesting, she's not charismatic, there's nothing funny about who she is or anything she does. She kills people Joker tells her to kill and then they bone.
New52 Duela (let alone original 70s Duela, a.k.a. Harlequin) is much better-positioned to play opposite Harley and has a lot more personality and stories to draw from. Not that these writers couldn't come up with something wholly original for Punchline if they really wanted to use that design and name—they've made Kite Man into a star, so anything's possible—but she's definitely not the first name that springs to mind as the next cast member and for a position as potentially important as The Joker's main enforcer, I'd rather see her get more time in comics under her creators first before others try to shape her.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
What I'm starting to notice is DC Universe shows are being made with more 'cinematic' production than the ones that go straight to the CW. All of Swamp Thing and most of the scenes in Stargirl so far have been shot with anamorphic lenses and the lighting is also much more complex. (But looks natural, which is how you can tell it's really complicated.) I think the most any of the CW shows have gotten is an occasional fog filter for dream or flashback sequences and Supergirl got a tilt-shift lens for one episode. So I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some kind of edict from DC to directors that Universe shows have to meet a certain movie-like style or standard, while the CW shows are left to do whatever like regular TV.

(Except the CGI, which sucks equally bad and if anything stands out more in Stargirl?)

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
As someone who's been firmly on the Harlivy train for, jeez, 25-ish years or so now, that was as perfect and end as I could've asked for. I've always wanted them to just ride off into the sunset together, never to be seen again. The recent HQ comics did that but then rapidly undid it as DC couldn't say no to the Harley cashcow and gave a soft-reboot to a different writer immediately. So I hope there isn't a third season. That ending was ideal for me, and this feels like the writers got to do everything they wanted, which is also something that's very important to me. 26 episodes made before the first even aired, they knew exactly how long they had and the story they wanted to tell in that time and they did it. I don't think there's anything worse than a show being made to drag on after the original material has been used up.

I'd definitely like to see this team take on another property, or even just a very different set of DC characters, but as far as Harley Quinn goes my vote is to leave that there.

Fantasy booking aside, Frank in the florist's van is one of the best parts of this second season. I'm a bit sad he didn't get to show up more consistently. Could've done without Gordon's line about "the occasional accidental shooting of an innocent", but I appreciate they made this well before everything recently. (Not that it would have been that great beforehand, though.)

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Stargirl is pretty much Flash/Supergirl with better cinematography. If you watched any part of either of them and didn't like them, you're not going to like Stargirl.

Do give Swamp Thing a shot because even though it had to be truncated and is likely never coming back, it's fantastic and easily the best 'serious' comic book TV show.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
CBR is a horrific cesspit and it's no surprise they'd so drastically misread the direction and purpose of the nice but ultimately incompatible third wheel.

I can't even fathom how 'Kite Man out for revenge' could last more than half an episode. His whole thing is that he's pretty much the worst at everything. The clue's in his name, he's a joke character. Every other character on the show can beat him shitless without breaking a sweat. If there is another season I don't doubt he'll show up in it here and there, but the idea of him being a central fixture, let alone the primary problem, is bizarre.

Any antagonist or big bad for a third season should be someone/something that hasn't been in the first two. Everything that came up in seasons one and two has been wrapped up pretty nicely, at least in terms of threats or the like. I second the suggestion made somewhere a couple of pages back, bring in Palmiotti & Conner's Power Girl so then you've got an easy reason to have Vartox show up.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Problem with doing live action Power Girl is nobody can play her other than Melissa Benoist wearing the world's most ridiculous push-up bra.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I can't imagine how it could keep it up on a CW budget, but I will be a bit sad if this means Stargirl S2 will drop in production quality. It's not absolutely vital to my enjoyment, but it is nice to have one of these shows shot well and looking like it has some money behind it for once. Especially with the slightly 50s-early 60s aesthetic that pervades the locations and sets, the more classic cinema style of lighting and filming that this first season has had is really nice.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
If Stargirl somehow bombs on CW, Courtney should absolutely be kept around and join the Legends. She's a grade-A Time Idiot if ever there was one.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Courtney's the only one to show any value without her gadget so far, thanks to her super power of highschool gymnastics. She should really just take the goggles, hourglass and cat mask for herself. Or better yet, give them to Pat.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I was too bothered that her regular teenage foot knocked Sportsmaster out, while Hourman's super strength—which is apparently enough to beat Solomon Grundy into cowering submission—had been entirely ineffective just seconds earlier. In the last couple of episodes there is some severe inconsistency with everyone's powers, both heroes and villains. I know I'm over-thinking a comic book show aimed at people half my age, but I really hope the next season is more firm on what each character can and can't do. Hourman and Wildcat in particular flicked from martial gods to wet tissue paper and back on every camera cut.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Seemed to me like Eclipso's power varied wildly from second-to-second. And if his plan hinged on Courtney... what, shouting at him a bit? Then he already achieved that much earlier. Really felt like they didn't really know how to resolve a villain as powerful as him so gently caress it, it's the good ol' power of love to the rescue.

Still, I like the set up for the next season, it promises a lot of fun (though "yeah, Sylvester said he'd explain later" was a helluva way to tell us the writers have no clue what the gently caress they're going to do yet), and Keith David is Mr Bones?! Hells yeah, let's go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Spacebump posted:

In the last scene of Stargirl, who was the weird looking guy with no eyeballs?
Mr Bones. His power is he secretes cyanide and touching him is instant death. His skin is transparent, hence the look and name. In 90s comic continuity he was an anti-hero in a ridiculous Spawn-esque costume (he was designed by Todd McFarlane), most notable for accidentally killing the Star-Spangled Kid and being Yolanda's father (and/or genetically engineered her, I forget exactly). In newer comics he is a cigar-chomping puppet-master-behind-the-curtain type of antagonist to Batwoman and runs the DEO.