Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, I really liked this. I feel like I'm dumb and bad given all the negative press, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first couple episodes in a way I don't usually feel when I'm watching pilots. I usually hate child characters too, but Spooky Girl was really interesting, and I don't have any idea who she is beyond the magic cape girl from the cartoon that I never really watched.

I really like Dick Grayson, and despite his being a bit of a jerk, it makes a lot of sense for the sort of person he'd be if he's in his 20s and had a break with Batman. His fight scenes have been excellent too, and I'm really glad to see adult Robin being almost as scary and brutal as the actual Batman would be -- last episode he even got that move from the video games where he stealth-grabs a guy and hauls him up to the ceiling screaming and firing his gun wildly. The face peelings and eye stabbings are a little much, but I'm trying to accept that Hollywood won't accept a no-kill Batman/Robin anymore, so I'm not dwelling on it.

And Hawk is awesome, and I want to see him get killed so bad. Any more blatant and it'd be unrealistic, but he's just such a great overconfident jock-type that keeps almost getting his nuts snipped off because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Svensken posted:

Maybe it's just because I liked the actress, but the double-fridging of Dove really rubbed me the wrong way.

Did I miss something? What do you guys mean about two Doves dying?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Another thing I appreciated about this show, especially after finishing Daredevil S3 this week, is how, when some random goon gets hit, you see a spray of blood and then the guy doesn't get back up. Because obviously, if you're smashing someone in the face with a heavy steel bar, they're going to stay down because their face is broken and they're heavily concussed. It always drives me a little crazy to watch Matt Murdock hit a guy four times in the face and then do a cool flippy kick right to their head, and then five seconds later the guy gets up like nothing happened.

Arrow is better about this too, but the fight scenes are so much weaker that I don't really count them. Shoot a guy in the shoulder with an arrow, they stay down forever like they got knocked out. Flip a guy over and throw him to the ground, knocked out. It goes too far in the other direction, where I feel like a lot of those goons shouldn't be incapacitated at all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I'm aware that getting knocked out isn't like in the movies, but I feel like the goons in Daredevil SHOULD have gotten knocked out, or at least too concussed to get up off the ground and start fighting again. The S3 hallway fight was especially bad about this - the first five minutes or so are Matt fighting the same three guys who just keep getting back up. It's fine for my action hero to take ridiculous punishment and get back into the fight, but not every random goon.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 23, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

bou posted:

I don't know any of the characters in this show except for Robin (as sidekick of the only true Adam West Batman) and maybe that's why i'm quite entertained so far.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Batman but I never got into the Teen Titans and I only know the barest descriptions of any of these people except Robin. So if they haven't matched up to their comic book counterparts, I haven't noticed or minded. I thought Raven was just a bog-standard shadowy wizard lady, so this horror-tinge that's been in all her scenes has been pretty interesting. I also like the way they've showed Robin being head-and-shoulders above Hawk and Dove -- he needs to have something if he's going to be a voice of authority for all these idiots with magic powers.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The usual answer is that audiences are going to be confused and scared when they see Batman on TV and then they go to the theater and Batman is played by an entirely different actor. Is that the real Batman? Is the one on TV an impostor, or some sort of alien clone? Is this new Batman going to go and fight him? What's going on?? of course since DC doesn't know what they're doing, they're going to go to the theater and see an entirely different actor playing Batman (and Superman) and have the same exact problem.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Is he going to become Nightwing in the show? I thought the Titans was supposed to be with Dick as Robin. Although now that I think about it I remember seeing a Titans comic cover with Nightwing in the disco suit with the yellow armpit wings. It seems like distancing himself from the Robin suit is a big thing, though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I mean, in a vacuum, it was a pretty good episode of television and told a decent story. I usually can't find much sympathy for meatheads like Hawk, but okay, a nice glimpse of his life and the choices he's made.

But yeah, I don't know what the hell it was doing here, definitely brought the show's plot to a screeching halt. They're long past the stage where they can spend an entire episode going over backstory for tertiary characters and not progress the story at all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So that's Deathstroke, right? He's the big Titans bad guy, he could definitely impersonate Batman, and I would be absolutely shocked if they managed to cast someone as actual Batman and it's been kept quiet this long.

I think I posted in this very thread about how I'm trying to get on board with the new Batman and Superman who kill people sometimes, but if that's the real Batman I will be a little disappointed. :(

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Aw, I think you're right. There was an episode description leaked that mentioned Trigon sending Robin into a dreamscape. I like my idea better.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Ugh, I dunno. I watched it but didn't want to talk about it. I cannot believe they wasted an entire episode on something that was essentially a dream sequence, without even doing us the courtesy of trying to make us think it might be real. As a season finale it was utterly useless, and we knew exactly how it would play out as soon as we sat down.

The biggest issue I have with this show is the plotting and pacing, and this episode was a perfect example. What was the major arc for this season? The straightforward way to do it was to have the Titans come together, the evil agency comes after them, and then they triumph over the agency and learn Rachel's terrible secret for the finale. Instead we kinda triumph over the agency a little after midway through without learning much, and then things sorta just stumble along for a few more episodes. I still have no idea why they put in 45 minutes about Hawk and then ignored him completely for the rest of the season. And this episode... okay, it was kinda fun, but mostly useless except to solidify some things we already knew about Robin, and you just know that it was really just an excuse to show a fake Batman killing people and slashing up cops. It didn't really deserve more than half an episode except to tickle all of us fanboys.

I will probably watch next season, but I will be ready to bail unless they figure out where they're going pretty quickly.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It's not horrible. There are a lot of good bits, but the plotting is all over the place, and there's basically no building to the finale, which was kind of a wet fart.

I give the first season a C, all in all. Watch the first few episodes and see if you like it, but don't feel bad if it doesn't catch you. I'm looking forward to the next season based on the potential it has, but they really need to figure out what kind of story they're trying to tell if it's gonna stick around.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

e2: The alien's name is cilantro :v:

It's Koriand'r (which is just as stupid) but you were close!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the Hawk and Dove stuff is the only thing to really approach being grim.

The palette is visually dark, and there's violence and a bit of gore, but it largely avoids the implications of its violence, gore, etc. much like Arrow, SHIELD, Buffy, any of those shows do. It's not House Of Cards (UK).

I dunno, I have to agree that Titans comes off as quite a bit darker than the Arrowverse stuff. The fight scenes alone are on a whole different level of brutality and gore, you really get a sense that the goons are getting their skulls crushed or eyes gouged out. And the theming is a lot more bleak, too -- Arrowverse shows don't do much in the way of medical torture or creepy killers like the family in Titans, either. There was a distinct sense that the Titans directors were trying to make viewers more uncomfortable than you'd get in the cheesy, more-or-less family-friendly Arrowverse stuff.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

I wish they just showed all the last season stuff last season, and started with Deathstroke.

Agreed. I have just hated all the Trigon stuff. He's too powerful for anyone to interact with him, and you knew from the start Raven was going to have to force him back and take control of the darkness or whatever. And I just cannot give a poo poo about the dream sequence stuff.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

They had a good cliffhanger/stinger thing with Deadshot coming out of retirement.

That's Deadpool, not Deadshot.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Iain Glen's American accent is... not good.

Yeah, ugh. I wonder if it's something about British actors that we're used to hearing speak with a British accent. It always seems super obvious that he's doing a fake voice every time he opens his mouth. I get the same thing with Stephen Strange as played by Benedict Cumberbatch -- it was really distracting from the movie. I feel like they're pronouncing the words in an American accent, but an accent that's not actually spoken in any region of America. Like none of the words sound wrong individually, but put them all together and it sounds obviously weird.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 10, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It's DC canon that Dick Grayson's a tasty snacc. Been that way for years.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

seriously my mans worked his way around half the lady B-listers in the DC universe.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

In case you guys think he's lying:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

itry posted:

Yeah, it would have been better actually if he did die from the grenade Dick swatted away. That would kinda justify that line.

Yeah, I thought that was exactly what was going to happen, and there's even a moment where Dick looks at the grenade and was about to dive on it to protect Jericho (before it ends up just being a harmless loud-bang-fuzzy-head-type of grenade.) The setup for the stab was really contrived -- I had to watch it again to realize Deathstroke throws Dick to the ground and then turns around for no reason, so that he can take his sword out and spin back around for the kill without seeing that his son is now in the way. The first time I watched it, I thought Deathstroke heard Jericho sneaking up behind him and just spun around to stab him on instinct, thinking it was another Titan trying to get the drop on him.

It's sooorta partially Robin's fault if you squint at it, but "I killed his son" is stretching it way too far. It's the sort of thing that would cause bad blood for the Titans, though -- they brought this innocent kid into their orbit and risked his life mainly to get back at his father, and they knew how dangerous Deathstroke was, and how enraged he'd be. But Deathstroke is completely to blame for the actual death. That grenade bit just drives it home -- he's just incredibly careless about collateral damage, even if his own son is in the room.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 29, 2019