Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Beast Boy left the Doom Patrol for the Titans, why wouldn't Cyborg too? Launch in one series, join another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fifth episode of Swamp Thing put me to sleep (after four decent episodes), but Young Justice was so good I intended to watch just one new episode and blazed through all three.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Titans season 2 looks baller, pass it on

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Vintersorg posted:

Hawk and Dove seem like nothings - I wish they weren't really in the show anymore. I don't care for non-supers minus Batman and Robin.

You don't happen to work for Kord Industries, do you?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Grateful to this thread for continuing the Harley hype. The first episode turned me away hard, with flat swearing used as dialog and gags landing with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Second episode onward has been much smoother, thanks.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DC Universe got me to look into Roku last year and it has so many more worthwhile-to-me video apps than PS4 that PS4 has turned into my Blu-ray/DVD player and little else. Thanks for indirectly saving me a little off of my electricity bills, DCU!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

tsob posted:

Okay? The entire point of Batman in the popular imagination though is that he can literally best anyone or anything with sufficient preparation and/or tools. At least for the last few decades. He's beaten intergalactic Gods, so while all that sounds terrifying, it's also not outside his wheelhouse to upset that kind of power curve regardless and it's also not something villains like Ivy have reason to be ignorant of.

Batman's "showdown" with Swampy in Moore's run is great at letting both sides flex. Batman brings blades, fire, tears up all kinds of plant life in his way... but Swamp Thing always grows back and whallops the poo poo out of Bruce, a mere mortal who can put up a fight but will inevitably run out of energy against the Green.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Residents in Gotham and Metropolis, their relative fortunes aside, share the same survivorship bias. There were people in England feeling oddly invincible during the bombings of WW2 because, hey, every day someone else's house goes boom but not theirs. Same principle: Luthor contends with Brainiac, Joker poisons the water supply, somehow Superman and Batman save the status quo just in time for a certain percentage of the population every time.

Alternately, Gotham's mortality rate is so high that the rent is dirt cheap. Maybe you can snap a selfie with Robin zipping past your window before a telescopic freeze ray kills everyone in your apartment building.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

itry posted:

This version of Ivy seems to only kill in self defense too.

She melted the head of an ACE Chemicals executive in a tub of his own herbicide ("best Earth Day ever, holla").

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Darth Walrus posted:

They did. That's what Bane boys are.

Baneton's tagline got me good. Proof Bane may be a bad guy, but he's not a bad guy (along with Zangief).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Plus there's the double-dipping on media exposure. Look at how many shows have a "mid-season finale" and effectively turn one season into two, with the fringe benefit of reducing the wait time between seasons. Or compare the binge model of streaming vs one episode per week and which one offers more headlines/clicks for the pop culture mill.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Stargirl owns, pass it on.

Unapologetically cheesy and sweet. Definite whiplash considering I just got through Amazon' s The Boys and Starlight on that show is the small-town blonde with a heart of gold... and here's the de-Ennis'd, YA version of her story.

That's not the best comparison, though. I enjoyed the Stargirl-era JSA comics and this is basically live-action JSA with her at the center, which is fine and dandy.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Harley Quinn airs on Sunday nights on Syfy at 11pm EST. Started May 3, so if you have the channel you can easily catch up.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Oh hey, wasn't aware Stargirl's second episode was going up early on account of Labor Day, score.

EDIT: I finally tried to watch it and, while the episode is featured as of it is available, the content is actually locked. Okay then!

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 23, 2020

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Maybe they're not queer and merely gay, but Legends, Black Lightning, and Batwoman have good gay rep.

Oh, and Supergirl has a trans actor playing a trans character (both women, in this case).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hypocrisy posted:

Second episode of Stargirl was solid?

Hell yeah. I don't even mind the Monster of the Week format it seems to be riding, so long as each villain helps build up the setting, the JSA's past, and Courtney/Pat's growing bond in and out of mask/mech.

Would more people be on board if they saw Luke Wilson working out the kinks in his mech, complete with wonky rocket punch, like we all do with our bipedal battle armors from time to time?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BigRed0427 posted:

I mean...theres a reason I stopped reading superhero comics. You hit a point where it becomes kind of clear that There is just no interest in making anything aimed at a queer audience. If there is it's either something thats quietly made, released, and canceled and you only hear about it like...two years after the fact. Or you end up with stuff like Snowflake and Safe Space.

Maybe my response is better suited for the recommendations thread, but I'm sure several of us goons would be happy to suggest queer superhero comics, if you're interested. Conversely, I'd love to hear about some of your faves, superhero or otherwise.

Pardon me if I'm crossing a line, this just seems like a good opportunity for connection.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 31, 2020

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I need a Black Lightning/Stargirl crossover where they swap students or staff or combine classes for a big author event or national science fair or something. Any excuse to see Blue Valley High and Garfield High School trade malcontents and straighten each other out / rough each other up. Heck, throw Riverdale in there and have characters trade Green Light for Jingle Jangle and Fizzy Rocks.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I think DCU shows are landing on CW because Covid-19 shook TV production schedules, leading to a race to fill air time.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Darkseid has an amusement park full of morbid displays that horrifies children and adults just ignore it.

Jack Kirby knew the score.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Killer robot posted:

He is used to dumb teenagers if nothing else.

Set those boys straight, Mr. Pierce! "How do you shower?"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Yolanda's claws are holding her back, jsyk

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Finale wondering out loud spoilers:
Did this episode pull some sort of ideological switcheroo? First the ISA are brainwashing everyone to accept social services and government-sponsored care, with 25% of the population dying as a result. Okay, enormous collateral damage and forced compliance are bad, both as means and ends, no problem smashing that plan.

But then the finale hits and several moments line up in a way that feel victorious and affirming in the moment but also somewhat counter to one of the show's subplots. Cindy, Yolanda, and Mike all straight-up kill ISA members, with no crises of conscience for any of them. And Mike's a kid, shattering a man into bits with a truck before quipping about it with his dog! Then cut to a happy Christmas morning followed by a stepfather-daughter moment beneath the American flag. We live in GOD's country aka AMERICA where we MURDER bad guys and do NOTHING to enable universal health care or renewable energy!

I mean, I'll savor the happy ending and had a great time with the show in general, but something feels off.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, the building manager at the end was Geoff Johns, wasn't it?

My money was on James Robinson, but nope, the building manager doesn't look like either of 'em.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DCU is supposed to go international by summer 2021.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lechtansi posted:

It's nice to see that the move to HBO max did nothing to improve Titans.

Spoilered & paraphrased my favorite exchange of the season so far...
Bruce: There's been an eighth murder. Are there any clues yet?
Barbara: Does everything have to be about business? Can't we just talk person to person for a change?
Bruce: Your father was much more cooperative about these things.
Barbara: My father isn't here because he had a heart attack inside a block of ice because he was frozen by a man wearing a loving refrigerator suit!
Bruce: His name is Mister Freeze.
Barbara: I know what his loving name is!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Everyone keeps the place spic and span for them.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/NebsGoodTakes/status/1451028284657963011?t=MFCfzu77gmu7ahT1n_JvPA&s=19

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Anora posted:

AT&T funds OAN, they DO NOT give one poo poo about workers.

AT&T's stance is that they previously rejected pairing with OAN and only did so as the result of a lawsuit.
(source: https://thehill.com/homenews/media/577669-naacp-att-to-meet-to-discuss-oann)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm having trouble figuring out who it's for. It's not quite funny enough, exciting enough, clever at all... I guess Gunn & Co. had fun making it, so good for them? Not watching past the third episode unless something genuinely improves. Very much a background noise show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BrianWilly posted:

Remember how excited everyone was when it was announced the the Flash was going to debut on Arrow? Not someone like the Flash, or some obscure character that premiered in a couple of Flash comics last year, but the actual bona fide Barry Allen character was going to have his whole actual powers and whole rear end suit and we would get a whole TV series about the actual Flash? Heck, remember how cool it was when we got a whole actual Martian Manhunter and then a whole actual Superman on the Supergirl show? Why haven't we been able to keep going down that path and instead we've ended up with...what, the third Batman-adjacent show in as many years where we're never actually going to see Batman or even his immediate team, but have to settle for brand new adopted sons and the sidekicks of his sidekicks?

Remember when Booster Gold appeared on Legends of Tomorrow and it ruled?
That was like a week ago.
https://twitter.com/BZBlackZack/status/1499395642849857536?t=HGHskYT3rtDm08iQ_JU6cQ&s=19