Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Release the Negative Spirit!

I've been waiting for live-action Doom Patrol forever and that was really good for a first go on tv. The cast for the series will be exponentially better with Timothy Dalton as the Chief and Brendan Fraser voicing Cliff, and Diane Guerrero.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Robin in the comics is a superb leader. Raven is a horror-tinged psychic. Starfire is a badass warrior. Changeling is a goofball

From a short interview with series producer and writer Geoff Johns:
https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/11/02/titans-dick-grayson-nightwing-coming/

quote:

"We took a sliver of the comics that dealt with Dick Grayson post-Batman a little bit and amplified that even more, exploring what that period for Dick Grayson was really like," Johns explains. "Nightwing is such a stable, confident, emotionally balanced character—he's Dick Grayson when he's found his place in the world. We wanted to build up to him becoming Nightwing."

Johns explained the main storyline of the first season is to bring the Titans together, but that Rachel's storyline is driving the plot forward...

"It's what we set up in the pilot. It's really about Rachel and helping Rachel, trying to find out what she's dealing with and help her come to terms with that. At the same time, all the other characters are dealing with their own issues. Dick Grayson is dealing with his past with Batman, and we'll reveal what that really was and what happened.".

bring back old gbs posted:

okay I hated the 'gently caress batman' marketing but the way they'e handling Bruce Wayne is kinda cool. The fire lady is distractingly lame, so I hope they really have some good reason why she dresses and behaves the way she does
At first I found it odd too but then realized: the shiny, short and body-hugging dress, the big hair, the ridiculous coat, the whole "Get out the way, puny humans" attitude - she's actually dressed and acting like a comic book super-hero. Or comic book super-anti-hero.
And then I really warmed up to her.

ynohtna posted:

lmao at Tarzan Boy playing when Gar turns the power on.

Anyone know what exactly happens to his clothes and backpack when he morphs?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Episode 4: Doom Patrol

Actually, this whole show seems to be just showing off characters that people familiar with the comics will recognize, but with no real payoff. Like, if you read the comics and you want to see those characters on screen, here they are. But there's no story, and there's not much here for anyone who doesn't already know them. I'm really starting to lose patience with waiting for something meaningful to happen.

For me the payoff was a fun episode (for a change) and the introduction of DC's weirdest superhero team, and the first time all the Titans were together in one place. And by the end of the episode, all headed in the same direction.
I also liked how Rita only wore red and white as a callback to, or possible foreshadowing of her comic book costume.

It was really clever putting an actor covered in bandages in a scene of cooking in the kitchen, so his movements could convey information about his character and personality even though we can't see his face.
And they nailed Larry's temple-less sunglasses.

Tiggum posted:

This is all the result of this doctor guy saving their lives with mad science, and now they live with him and help him do whatever it is he does. He's so obviously evil that it seems like it must be a fake-out and he's actually going to be good, but then he tries to do... something to Rachel. Extract the demon from her maybe? It wasn't clear to me what he was trying to do or why he thought he knew how to do it.

Spoilers that may or may not apply in this version of the Doom Patrol:
Dr. Niles Caulder caused the life-threatening 'accidents' so he could use his experimental and highly unorthodox cures to give the victims their abilities. Knowing this gives a very different meaning to the scene of Rita thanking him at the dinner table.
Also he does things like, secretly put a kill switch in Robotman so he can shut it down if Cliff ever tries to harm or disobey him.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 4, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ Are we watching the same show LOL.

Barry Convex posted:

that was actually... good?

And ep 5 was actually...really good. Dick is stepping up and becoming the leader, even though he's the only one in the group without a super-power.
The training montage was fun and paid off in the big fight scene. Raven was actually able to control her power and use finesse to toss an enemy.
And I loved Dick asking Gar, "So have you eaten anyone before?" like it's a thing he would do if he could.

The Family Unit were interesting antagonists until they went and lost...their heads. Hope the vigilantes leave a nice tip for housekeeping.

Gar: So uh...Batman! You know him!? Are we gonna see him? I'd really like to meet Batman.
Dick: No. You're not.

Great delivery of that line to shut down both Gar's and our expectations, completely unambiguous. And it gave the final scene a little extra boost, at least to me. LIke, "No you're not gonna meet Batman, buuut.... how about some Jason Todd action.

ynohtna posted:

Yeah. It also feels very distinct from shooting at multiple locations, some of which are, get this, outside.

Plus, that Dick sure ain't lacking opportunities for action. :wink:

It's a little disturbing that Detective Grayson would engage in 'action' with a woman who has lost her memory and doesn't know who she is. But she was the instigator so I'll get over it.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 10, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yes there's a lot we don't know. That's kind of the point of making a television series, to inform the viewers with new information and revelations each week. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Tiggum posted:

How is he leading them? Where is he leading them? Their only goal is "don't die" and the method of achieving it is to wait around until someone attacks them.

Were they? Their gimmick was OK, but it didn't go anywhere - and now they're dead so I guess it'll never go anywhere.
Dick actually explained how and why he is leading them, last week.
Their primary goal is to find out why Rachel is being hunted, and by whom, and the nature of her abilities.
Secondary goals are to solve the mystery of Starfire's identity and what happened to her that erased her memory, and why she is drawn to protecting Rachel.

The Nuclear Family story went where it needed to go. They failed at their given task therefore we, as viewers, should expect The Organization to devote even more personnel and resources towards taking possession of Rachel.
An escalation of the conflict will likely occur, concurrent with the escalating control of powers our protagonists are gaining as they continue working together.

quote:

So, obviously, being replaced by Batman should be a big deal for Dick, but what does it mean to us? We don't know this Batman. We don't know this Dick as Robin. We've never seen the relationship that existed between them so we have no expectations here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AmeKD_DGOI

quote:

Is Robin going to be angry? Sad? Relieved? Disappointed? We don't know. What does the new Robin showing up mean? Based on the other characters who've shown up already, my guess is it's going to mean nothing and go nowhere and he'll be around for one episode and then never mentioned again.
Of course we don't know, that's why we're watching.

quote:

Like I said last week, this show seems to be just a vehicle for showing off familiar characters to fans of the source material rather than actually telling a story.
Dick and Jason never fought side-by-side or even interacted much at all (in the comics) so "fans of the source material" are already wondering where this version of the new Robin is going.
I find it interesting and am having fun going along for the ride.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 10, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Cory's relationship with Dick has always been a thing. When she first met him in the comics, she needed to learn English so she used her language assimilation ability.

Nice pull. So Kori instinctively has sex with Dick in order to activate her inherent translation ability in an attempt to figure out what the strange alien writing means!
This show can be deeper than it appears.

Ovenmaster posted:

Also a bit nicpicky, but if the Bad Guy Corporation can send a whole kill squad to dispose of Robin and Dr. Adamson in the space of a minute, why don't they just send a few of those off to capture Rachel? Lazy writing? No, can't be!
That's not a nitpick.

Dr. Adamson was in a Bad Guy Corporation building. They own him, they own his residence, they have a security detail housed in their own skyscraper.
Reminder: Dick was spotted as soon as he entered the building by the old lady who gave him a candy. At that point the kill squad was notified and were already on the move before Dick got off the elevator.
The Corporation doesn't own every roadside motel in America.

And the whole point of the Nuclear Family is that they could surreptitiously travel and move around and make inquiries while somewhat blending in with the local population.
Their mission was to find Rachel, grab her and take her alive back to HQ or wherever, without drawing attention to themselves.

A battalion of armoured mercs driving around in pursuit of high-powered fugitives might be noticed by local authorities, highway police, and media.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 11, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Gar provides much of the comic relief but this was also p good dark humour

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Gar having human blood in his mouth for the first time was a good moment but my favourite and MVP of the week is again Kori.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 26, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I came in with low expectations and the show's been really good. Enjoying it more than The Gifted, Cloak & Dagger, Gotham. An episode featuring the Doom Patrol was season highlight for me, so far, adding some comic relief to the show's weirdness and high body count.
And the Nuclear Family was an interesting group of villains.

ynohtna posted:

It has a fiery disco space angel in a metallic purple pantsuit.

Yes, she's the best. And I like the device of giving Kori amnesia so she's an unapologetic costumed superpower who can't be bothered with maintaining a secret identity or alter ego.
On Supergirl or The Flash she'd be a wanted criminal they're seeking, to throw in prison.
On this show she's only the 3rd most vicious Titan :cripes:

Binary Logic posted:

Gar having human blood in his mouth for the first time was a good moment but my favourite and MVP of the week is again Kori.

Steps over a dead body like a boss.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 2, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah that line stood out as a deliberate callback.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Kori owns. Also I totally called she'd be an antagonist this season, even though she's totally gonna stick around and integrate. She's the greatest.

You were right about Kori being an antagonist. Did not see that coming.

Some exterior scenes seemed familiar until this shot of Jump confirmed it's Toronto.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

kjetting posted:

So, did no one watch the finale, or doesn't anyone want to talk about it?

Okay sure.
1. I had to pause when it was revealed that fiery Coriander is from planet Tamarind. Character must have been created after some comic book writers had ordered Indian food for lunch.
https://www.archanaskitchen.com/coriander-tamarind-millet-rice-recipe
(okay it's Koriand'r from Tamaran but this is too obvious to be coincidence).

2. I now agree with Tiggum that the creators or execs made some very strange decisions regarding the overall narrative arc for the season. Episode 11 was not a good choice for a season finale. While the story gave us an interesting version of Dick's dark revenge fantasy, as a finale it lacked Titans interplay, focused mostly on 1 character, and was missing a big build up to a season-ending cliffhanger.
Feels like Episode 12 should have been the finale but it was pushed to next season instead. IMO having the second season confirmed early on has allowed for this sort of messing around and stretching out story lines.

3. I stopped viewing when the credits started to roll, then read that there was a post-credits scene and had to go back to see it. And again, it was a strange choice to show us a glimpse of 2 new characters as the final scene of the season 1 finale.

On a positive note it was nice to see Anna Diop without the Starfire hair and fur coat.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I hope Krypto and Gar get along.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Titans spinoff series, Doom Patrol premieres this Friday. Don't know if you can tell but I'm excited.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

The promo for it looks really good. A bit more light hearted at first glance and matches the tone of the Titans episode. Idk why Cyborg is part of the team though. He fits, I guess, but I'm used to him generally punching at a higher weight class than the Doom Patrol and I wonder how his canon origin will mesh with the new show

I expect Timothy Dalton will add some gravitas to the shenanigans.

Really stoked for this, I've been hoping for live-action DP for a long time; the cast is pretty great and the producers & writers seem keen to depict some of Grant Morrison's zaniness.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 14, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
“More TV superheroes. Just what the world needs”, says Nobody. Ever one to break the 4th wall. "Critics. What do they know. They're gonna hate this show".

Loved that first episode. I'm so accustomed to disappointing adaptations and this was better than I anticipated.

The whole cast is great. Alan Tudyk narrating as Mr Nobody was such a brilliant choice, and depicting the Notional Man was never going to be easy but he carries it off.

In the bigger picture view, this show is not at all like Titans’ grimdark realism and vicious violence. The writers and director aim for the playful surrealism of Grant Morrison's source material. Rather than trying to bring superheroes into our world like Titans, the episode pulls us into their comic book existence, where anything can (and probably will) happen. And unlike Robin/Dick Grayson and Cyborg, they're not crime fighters.

I also liked that the first 40 minutes were to get everyone's backstory, although The Chief is still a cypher. It was good to get all that out of the way in one go, so the oddness (and further character introductions) can expand.
And, after their disastrous field trip, just like in Titans I expect a super-powers training montage soon.

Some of the visual are lifted right off the comic page, and many are improved. I was dreading the Negative Spirit was going to be an actor in a black body stocking with some CG aura or glow. This is way better than my feeble imagination:

In an interview Diane Geurrero said she read the comics before the script and she does seem to have a good handle on Jane's mercurial character. The scene with The Hangman's Daughter painting in the rain was lifted right off the comic book page.

And another one of her personalities got an HD graphics upgrade.

And I'll end now with the DP family prayer

So...when can we start talking about Catastrophe Theory?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 17, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's a time of Peak TV for me, there's psilocybin on Star Trek and

If you want more Grant Morrison inspired weirdness you could check out season 1 of Happy! with Chris Meloni and Patton Oswalt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7OYkSgmM-w

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 17, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

There's three more shows slated to be released on the new streaming service: Swamp Thing, Star Girl and Harley Quinn. Having a proper DC Universe thread to fit all of them probably won't be too big an issue.
I'm living for this.

Not just Swamp Thing, they're adapting Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing, which makes it more than a man who transforms into a plant-thing and could include the Parliament of Trees and that epic elemental story.
I hope they bring Matt Ryan over to continue playing Constantine.

These are exciting times, the fans of great classic titles of the late 80s / early 90s are now in position (and have the tech) to adapt them for the small screen.
No studio would gamble the money to make a big-screen version of The Painting That Ate Paris, and a network couldn't pull millions of weekly viewers for these oddball stories, but streaming services need new content and are willing to take chances.

Makes me wonder where Green Lantern will turn up (and who will wear the ring), whether in the Justice League movie, the Arrowverse, or DC Universe so he can be involved in out-there galactic stories.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 18, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What was the line, "Where's the ring, John?" or something like that. I admit I forgot about it.

The Lord Bude posted:

I say make it a plot arc for our diggle next season of Arrow and then spin him off onto his own Arrowverse show

That would be a brave and bold move. Tie it in to the next big crossover story and then launch GL from the consequences of whatever mess Flash makes of the multiple universes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

I liked the time leap, it gave a nod to the story's origin in 1988 while quickly bringing it into modern day. It's better IMO than setting the whole series in the 90s; and if Robotman's origin was in current time the body design would be crude and obsolete.

If you think about it none of this makes sense, which is kind of the point of Mr Nobody.

And I expect that first episode was just dipping our toes into the ocean of bonkers that's coming in Ep 2.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 20, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah that line stood out as a deliberate callback.

You were right about Kori being an antagonist. Did not see that coming.

Some exterior scenes seemed familiar until this shot of Jump confirmed it's Toronto.

Somewhat off thread topic, if anyone's watching The Umbrealla Academy it's also shot in Toronto.

Every Toronto location that shows up in the first season of Netflix’s The Umbrella Academy

Lot of meta activity going on in this city.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This was my favourite episode of 2019.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah I've super come around on Doom Patrol, they really nailed it. Would love to hear Grant Morrison's thoughts on how it's going.

The only thing I'm still not keen on is the transition effect they put on Jane, but that's because I feel Diane Guerrero has what it takes to pull it of without it.

I love this Grant Morrison style of writing. Caulder asks, "Who are you talking to?" and Nobody sneers:
"Grant Morrison fans, Reddit trolls with DC subscriptions, and the three new fans who stuck around after the donkey fart"
"You still think you control this story, don't you", the Chief challenges back.

I don't know Morrison's opinion yet but for me, so far this is a better adaptation than I was even hoping for.

And then Nobody narrating to us and to the Doom Patrol in their nightmare fugue state or whatever alternate dimension of consciousness they were in.

Ezekiel The Roach is posted among the residents in this art installation. Sure why not he had a speaking part.

Enjoyed Rita's "I saw what you did there" to Cliff. And even after being expelled from an exploding donkey, Golden Globe™ nominee Rita Farr does not simply stand up.

Release the Negative Spirit, Larry.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 24, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Maybe Titans creative team will learn from DP they can do tragic without going full grimdark.

Does anyone know what is the lost donkey music around 15 minutes in?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Sorry for the semantic error. At least I didn't call Starfire cilantro.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 25, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for that detail.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I just got around to watching the first two episodes of this and yeah, this show thinks it's revolutionary but is actually utterly generic. And instead of actually doing anything interesting or fun it just keeps telling us how great it is and expecting us to believe it.

Plus it's got the same problem Titans had where no one has any discernible goals. It's just random poo poo happening to random people for reasons we may find out later.

This isn't the Justice League or Titans, it's a group of catastrophe survivors who are so disfigured (and/or dangerous) they'd rather stay indoors and watch old movies. There's even a scene where a mob threatens Jane.
There is a very obvious, discernible goal for the group that's been repeated multiple times by multiple people. And the individuals in the group have each expressed their personal goals and are shown struggling towards those goals.

--------------------------------------------

Has anyone been cast to play Danny The Street?

bring back old gbs posted:

I just got to the end of Doom Patrol episode 3 and please tell me this is a villain from the comics and we will be seeing... whatever that was again

That was amazing. This series is amazing. I am amazed. Was expecting the Brotherhood of Dada but instead they reached way, way back for this week's origin story.

"I could only afford magnetic feet, this is so much better" LOL.

Yeah, that episode was pretty good. Loved the little Thunderbirds Niles, liberated from the puppet show and sitting on the plane at the end.

That said, a) there's absolutely no way they're planning on wrapping any of this up this season. Even three episodes in there are just far too many elements, and b) Timothy Dalton's a total villain, yeah?

That depends on one's perspective.
Conversly, Mr Morden/ Mr Nobody isn't a total villain either; he seems more intent on taunting the DP and teasing them with things they don't know, and forcing each one to be honest with themselves, than trying to kill them.
Like he's trying to open their eyes and turn them against the Chief.

ps Thanks to the mod for re-naming this thread.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 2, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Yeah, that episode was pretty good. Loved the little Thunderbirds Niles, liberated from the puppet show and sitting on the plane at the end.

Mission Accomplished for the intrepid Doom Patrol!

When Jane first talks to Steve she's wearing a dinosaur shirt. Nice costume choice considering what ultimately happens to him.

And then there's Fuchtopia.

Toplowtech posted:

Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man, yes now do the whole Brotherhood of Dada. Also Mento was already cast so everything is fine. Another good DC tv show, i guess it compensates for the not always good movies.
I'd previously hoped for a Brotherhood of Dada animated movie, because how else could it be done. But this is great so far and Flex Mentallo, Man of Mystery Muscle getting involved is more good news.
There have been 2 bus excursions, it's like they're teasing the Brotherhood of Dada and the timing is pretty good for a "Nobody For President" campaign.

(Is anyone going to talk about Cliff going a little psycho in that Fuchs fight?)

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 3, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Clint Mansell & Kevin Kiner Scoring the Doom Patrol

Funny I like this show's music so much. The Fountain score by Clint Mansell is one of my favourites.
Death Is the Road to Awe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr0NBPRMe2E

Doom Patrol Main Theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoYHY1N324g

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 23, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

You think that Negative Man is particularly punk rock?

New wave.

Are We Negative Men? We Are Devo

Nash The Slash

Cliff, he's punk rock. Nazi punks gently caress off, sure but drat, Cliff.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 4, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I thought Constantine was loosely based on Sting and Kipling was loosely based on the lead character of Withnail and I (Richard E Grant). But Doom Patrol is no stranger to parody so drunken or not, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
And more evidence of Cliff being a punk rocker:

Another mystery: how does this metal version of Frankenstein's monster get those shirts on LOL.

Tiggum posted:

That is untrue. Just today I watched an episode of Gotham which I liked a lot, as I generally do. Also Bad Mothers, Broad City and Miracle Workers. The fact that you (apparently) only notice me talking about things I don't like doesn't mean that I don't like anything, it only means that you don't know what I like.

And actually, I just watched the third episode of Doom Patrol and thought it was actually pretty good.

Happy to read that you enjoyed the episode.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Cult Patrol: Is anything gonna make sense today?
The series started strong and each episode has been better than the previous one. Where to even begin.
First, I take it back, the improbably named Willoughby Kipling is indeed a drunken parody of Constantine, and it’s spectacular. (Or as Cliff describes him, “Are we just supposed to believe drunk David Copperfield that the world’s gonna end?”). Every line he utters is classic. Chanting Beatles lyrics backwards to cast a spell? Of course.

“Janice Joplin’s dental floss. Strongest known spiritual thread in the world. And the only thing powerful enough to hold the Gates shut”. Holy hell I think I like this tosser more than the character on Legends. Kipling calls Caulder a oval office, a wanker, a shriveled old goat but then drops this amazing and deep description:

quote:

Willoughby: Sounds like you and I know two different Niles Caulders. You and the rest of those idiots have your Chief. A kindly uncle, quick with a pat on the back and some friendly advice.”
Cyborg: “And you’ve got Niles the cold-blooded killer?”
Willoughby: I’ve got a man who’ll make the decisions to keep the world spinning. A man who’s willing to live with those decisions and forever be haunted by them

But he also says things like:

Jane and then even with the bandages and sunglasses you can see Larry rolls his eyes at that line.

Kipling also warns, “Now’s not the time for throwing spanners. If he gets read it’s katy bar the bleeding door”. I don’t know if that quote is from the comics or the writers room but it was perfect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Douglas

Tiggum posted:

I just got around to watching the first two episodes of this and yeah, this show thinks it's revolutionary but is actually utterly generic. And instead of actually doing anything interesting or fun it just keeps telling us how great it is and expecting us to believe it.

Plus it's got the same problem Titans had where no one has any discernible goals. It's just random poo poo happening to random people for reasons we may find out later.
Talk about breaking the fourth wall! Cyborg must have seen what you posted and decided to respond.

Cyborg's trying so hard to be the Leader of a group of Super Heroes while wearing his red Adidas track suit like it’s the Detroit version of a crime-fighting vigilante costume.Maybe he's hoping for a sponsorship deal LOL.
“As you can see there are 37 known dimensions” and he has no clue what to do with that (questionable) insight since he’s not Niles.

And speaking of the Chief, the credits show “Special appearance by Timothy Dalton“. Last episode he was only on-screen as a puppet, this time only seen in an old video. I hope we get more of him, Dalton was terrific in Penny Dreadful and needs more screen time.

As Binary Badger noted, Rita was shown to expand into her role and is wonderful as the Reluctant Hero.

After waiting 30 years or so we were so close to getting Larry’s tagline but all he could spit out now was, “Release…or whatever”. I guess it’s a work in progress.

And that device Caulder created to speak with the Negative Spirit might also be a cage, like the Ghostbusters Eco-containment system. Torture it says and we don’t know if he’s talking about himself using torture to live in Larry, or if Larry’s tortured soul is what allows him to enter the body. Or it was torture to be contained in the contraption and that’s why he broke it to get out.
Previous episode, von Fuchs noted that “Jane is not the core personality”. And this time we get Mrs. Patterson/Giant Clown/Mayor of Nurnheim showing her real essence: “Young Kay. Scared and lonely child”.

Also Jane: “gently caress that limey and the horse head he rode in on” was one of Hammerhead’s great lines.

This group is flailing from one catastrophe to the next. From the destruction of a single small town to the end of the world. And the episode ends with another non-win for the team. They still have no idea and aren’t any closer to finding out where the Chief is; they couldn’t prevent the Book from being read; and they haven’t stopped the De-Creator from appearing.

\/Thanks.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 9, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hey come on guys stop being so mean

Slamhound posted:

Brendan Fraser sounds like one of the Xtacles.

pile of brown posted:

Boosh! Boosh! Boosh!

To Cliff!
Niles built that clunky Robotman chassis in the 80s/early 90s after watching a "How To Weld" videotape, long before the existence of plasma CNC fabricators and 3D printers. He must already have tech envy with every noisy step he takes, Meanwhile Cyborg over there has an arm that can turn into a sonic cannon!
Cliff ought to request a helpdesk ticket for some upgrades.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Sure, but not every show needs to, or can, have every ethnicity. Where's my Asian representation in this show! (I'm 0% Asian).

Oh hello

Rocksicles posted:

It's got points for a gay mummy though.

Is Larry considered gay or bi? He had both a female wife and a male lover and was trying to please both.
The Negative being kept trying to show Larry something on video. At first I thought it (they?) was trying to force Larry to come to terms with his own sexuality but maybe it's trying to show Larry something about its own orientation or nature.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hope they're going full on Rebis in season 2.

Yes please.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 12, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

It was the 50's that's how you came out as gay, you got married, had some kids, and ignored your wife sexually, who knew.... she knew.

Okay.

One more gif: this is precisely how I'd prepare for the De-creator and end of existence:

"If we're fighting I want to be properly rat-assed."

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

I think I could have done with a little more exposition because to me the Nurses with Straight Blades and the Dry Bachelors were well done but they literally popped out of nowhere with no rhyme or reason to explain their existence other than that they are assassins that act as precursors for the Decreator.

This is a valid criticism.
On the printed page of a comic book, we read that Nurnheim is a ghost city that was destroyed a long time ago, is the centre for the Cult of the Unwritten Book and can only be entered via stigmata. And when it needs to send assassins out they are created from "dead skin and unsent letters".
When reading these words on a comic page it all fits together into the metaphysical conceit (or concept), like a story by Jorge Luis Borges or the lyrics in a song. Of course, ghosts would create assassins from discarded, forgotten elements of past lives.

But on tv the emphasis is on the action scenes, and the poetic threads of Morrison’s writing are subsumed by the vision of a flaming sword and arm cannon. The spectacle happens so fast and wild, the original lyricism is hard to notice.

Similarly many comic readers want to have The Brotherhood of Dada show up onscreen. The Doom Patrol had been fighting the Brotherhood of Evil since they 60s. And along comes Mr. Morrison around 1990 and he has Mr Nobody proclaim, “Evil? Good?! Outmoded concepts! I’m here to free people from this ridiculously rational dichotomy. We’re liberators, not villains Rid your minds of reason, embrace us as The Brotherhood of Dada! Patent pending of course.”
But without the history and backstory of the original group of bad guys, the introduction of a Brotherhood of Dada isn’t a twist and won’t have nearly as much creativity and impact. It will just be another weird thing that seems to happen for no reason.

I'm loving this series so far but can't imagine how people who have never read the comics are able to follow along.

ps thanks for posting the trailers, Badger.

pps for Tiggum: Who's Crowley?!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Modal Troop: hottest greaser harness

Tiggum posted:

Just watched the latest episode and it was a real step down from the one before. I think it's Mr Nobody. He's just not working for me. His powers should make him either the protagonist of the series or the villain of a single episode. This thing where he's a regular secondary character is just weird. And the breaking the fourth wall gimmick is still not as original or fresh as the writers seem to think it is.

Started a re-watch to take notes and every 30 seconds I had to pause to write something down. Can't do this dazzling episode justice without a 1/2 hour podcast ramble or live discussion, there's just too much going on.
And probably the last one to catch on but I just realized that Ezekiel the Prophet of Doom cockroach is voiced by the legendary Curtis Armstrong.

I kind of enjoyed that Cyborg was competent at busting muggers in Detroit but here he's so out of his depth, Nobody caused him to blow off his own arm. That's gotta hurt. So anyway, a theme emerges.

Eyes seemed to be quite important in this ep.

Rita Farr can't catch a break. She tries to step up and be a hero and can't actually save Elliott. At all. April Bowlby's eyes in this scene

Dr. Harrison, I presume.

And of course there was the cross-eyed plan to defeat the eye of the De-Creator by going back in time and starting a counter-cult to summon the eye of the Re-creator.

To sum up: the nihilist / chaotic neutral / big bad (?) of the series used his abilities to save the world. Jane helped but the rest of the team just stumbled around, as usual. Jusitce League 2020!

-------------------

Binary Badger posted:

That's messed up as Rhea, Arani, and Josh (Lodestone, Celsius, and Tempest) were from the second roster that formed after the originals 'died' in the comics universe. They're twisting history!

Supposedly after Crazy Jane hears 'Doom Patrol' at the end of the last episode, she does some Googling or whatever and runs into the Doom Patrol from the '50s, who also incredibly have supposedly not aged a day since their time way back when.

We're supposed to also be getting 'a tease' of one of the greatest Doom Patrol villains ever next episode. I bet it's either General Immortus or Monsieur Mallah and the Brain, as we already got Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man to make an appearance.

Mento looks like he's insufferably pleased with himself 24/7.

The Flash had Grodd and an island of gorillas, so the CG exists in the Berlanti-verse to have Mallah and the Brain, and it could be glorious.

The Doom Patrol has been re-booted/re-invented several times with big changes in both style and characters, so I'm really enjoying that this iteration is also willing to re-invent them in the past. I'm just going to copy/paste from wiki

quote:

John Byrne's Doom Patrol (volume 4)
In August 2004, DC launched a new Doom Patrol series after the new team debuted in JLA. John Byrne wrote and illustrated this series, with inks by Doug Hazlewood. Touted as "Together again for the first time!", Byrne rebooted the series, eliminating all previous Doom Patrol continuity.[19]

This series also retroactively eliminated Beast Boy's origins and numerous Doom Patrol appearances in other titles, including the reunions of Beast Boy (then called Changeling) and Robotman in the 1980s New Teen Titans, along with the entire Kupperberg, Morrison, Pollack, and Arcudi incarnations of the team (and their respective new members) along with the rest of the DC Universe's memories of the group. Three new characters—Nudge, Grunt (Henry Bucher), and Vortex—were introduced and utilized throughout the series run.

So it's part of the continuity or canon or tradition for a new team to come in and rework the title into whatever they want; keep characters, bring in new ones, change the history and origins. It's a crazy ride, man.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 22, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Doom patrol patrol recap recap:
Another week goes by and these sad sacks are no closer to finding the Chief or figuring out how to stop Mr Nobody. Rita saves the day with an introspective monologue directed at old Steve Dayton (agree with Badger that he looked very Stan Lee-ish). Cyborg is finally given Admiinstrator Access to his own programming (and good luck with all that, Vic). And after their talk, I hope Cliff’s inquires to Silas Stone about his robot chassis design eventually pay off.
The frenetic pace of the first few episodes calmed down and actually helped to give characters time to breath.

The introduction of Mento, Joshua, Rhea and Arani as the original Doom Patrol was a strange twist and nod to the team’s origins. Mento’s 60’s era retro helmet was fun. And IMO this origin ep was handled better and was more integrated into the current storyline, than when Titans had a mid-season pause episode devoted to Hawk& Dove.

Mento - The Man Who Split The Doom Patrol thus allowing each to have their own character moments and insights. Also again, the team resolved this week’s conflict without violence. I think that will be the key to defeating Nobody.
Negative Man continues to live up to his name. First line this week, to Rita about Elliott: “I don’t think he’s coming back”. Can’t you ever be positive Negative?
An episode filled with serious themes of regrets, memories, perceptions and

Spacedad posted:

I really like the show even though it does have flaws. The biggest flaw being Cyborg really feels out of place as hell, and also the tendency for all the characters to be written as negative and nasty as possible. Robot Man behaves like a petulant whiner most of the time, Jane flips out and attacks people CONSTANTLY, cyborg negs on the rest of the misfits, negative man 'fittingly' negs on everyone, etc. etc. etc. The team all hate each other's guts and there's not much of a sense of camaraderie at all.

In the Grant Morrisson run, the doom patrol characters did deal with anguish and grief, and Jane could be confrontational, but they always had this sense of humanity behind them that made you really like this weird band of superhero misfits. There was also a sense of camaraderie with their fellow freaky superheroes.

The cult of the unwritten book was probably the best arc so far not just because it balanced and paced the weirdness really well, but because it showed more of that side of the heroes. The heroes were starting to behave more like the heroes they really are, and their better qualities were starting to come out. (Them all putting their foot down on sacrificing the boy, etc.)

Right now the most appealing and humane character in the show is Elasti-girl, and that's because she has visible remorse and grief for others. And though she longs for her hollywood glory days, she also seems to be very self-aware of how awful she used to be in her movie career days.
The 2 male lead characters of the Doom Patrol don't have faces. So it's tough for Cliff and Larry to really portray intricate or subtle emotions.

quote:

The show feels like it's got several of the right ingredients, but doesn't mesh well unless the writing and directing is on point.

However, this kind of show is extremely difficult to do right and I applaud the effort to actively try something different. I just hope they get the person who directed the first episode of the unwritten book arc back to direct, because that ep knocked it out of the park.

I hope this show keeps going, or we get an animated series that tries a spiritual adaption of Grant Morrisson's run. Because even if it's just a streaming exclusive show that doesn't quite mesh as well as it should right now, I feel like it's a long-term project worth investing in.

The Untold Secret Of the Doom Patrol is that it's always been difficult for it to gain and hold popularity. The comic gets a new creative team, gains some fans and acclaim, then tapers off because it's so difficult to be strange and also compelling for an extended period of time. I read an interview that they really only had the first season plotted, they're scrambling to write Season 2 and have no plans beyond that. It remains to be seen if this series can hold viewers in the middle and longer term.

The other series that revels in strange storylines is Legends of Tomorrow, and it's had to make huge changes in cast, characters, and tone to keep going.

Oh yeah almost forgot: ending the ep with Lou Reed's melancholy "Perfect Day" was beautiful.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 24, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spacedad posted:

I really like the show even though it does have flaws. The biggest flaw being Cyborg really feels out of place as hell, and also the tendency for all the characters to be written as negative and nasty as possible. Robot Man behaves like a petulant whiner most of the time, Jane flips out and attacks people CONSTANTLY, cyborg negs on the rest of the misfits, negative man 'fittingly' negs on everyone, etc. etc. etc. The team all hate each other's guts and there's not much of a sense of camaraderie at all.

This whole thing started a few days ago because Jane and Cliff were bored and wanted to go into town, against the advice of Niles, Rita and Larry. The only connection between them all is Caulder, who's MIA. And they can't be considered a team until there's been a training montage.

Besides all that, even Caulder's past acquaintances (Kipling, Silas Stone) can't stand him. "I'd like to help with this Nobody business but then I'd have to admit I like you" and he vanishes. Some friend!

And Jane can be fun sometimes

To me, the most Morrsony thing so far is that Mr Nobody behaves like he's aware they're all in a tv show.
Jeremy Carver has a good handle on this so far. For instance he came up with Ezekiel the Doomsday Prophet cockroach for Supernatural but they decided it didn't fit that show, but it's perfect for this one.
And beyond the bizarre imagery, the past couple of episodes have featured more character-driven stories.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 25, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spacedad posted:

Oh yeah, Ezekiel the cockroach fits the show perfectly. The more the writers can really HAVE FUN and be creative with this show the better.

As for Mr. Nobody - what we've seen of him is promising, but he's mostly a menace that we don't really see too much of a hint of being the ambivalent chaotic-neutral (and later, chaotic good) anti-hero he turned out to be in Morrisson's run. For me the tonal shift for that will kick in when we meet the rest of Mr. Nobody's team, probably - and if we'll see him formally announce the Brotherhood of Dada.

The Quiz - she has every super power you haven't thought of! I want to see Cyborg and Cliff's reaction to that LOL. ("Flight" "I already said flight" "No you didn't")

I've long thought The Painting That Ate Paris would make a neat little animated mini-series, so it will be amazing if they can try to do that as live action.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 25, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

LashLightning posted:

We've seen Mr Nobody absolutely ruin Calder's previous team. He's no trickster, now, he's a straight-up villain.

Mento may have been an rear end in a top hat, but the other two definitely didn't deserve what Nobody did to them. Calder is going to have to be shown doing something really heinous to justify Nobody's grudge against him.

Caulder shot von Fuchs before he had completed Norden's transformation. They didn't set out to make the thing he became.

edit: re-watched the puppet show and von Fuchs says Caulder did not thwart his greatest creeation, Mr Nobody. So I guess it went as intended. Still, both von Fuchs and Morden held long-standing grudges against the Chief.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 26, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Nobody's the series' omniscient narrator!

Also, this quoted post got lost in another dimension...

Spacedad posted:

The comments here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jVECp5Dzp4

"I heard it in the park once and went apeshit, that was weird lol"

"Those Piñatas were tasty as all hell though."

"Then 3 weirdos in tight suit + 1 paralyzed guy tried to ruin the mood."

"Did you see that weird air balloon?"

Where I work there's a fellow who listens to a radio station that seems to play the same 12 songs 4 times per day, so I can understand what happened to those poor victims.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...
Mr Nobody, the notional man, doesn’t have a solid presence in our dimension. Must be why he can only partially be seen. He doesn’t interact with objects or people. He didn’t (couldn’t) kill the original Doom Patrol, but he can get into people’s heads, speak directly to them and influence what they do. In that way he’s like a ghost or poltergeist which is fitting since this week’s story was like a classic old tale of mystery, suspense and horror complete with an unexpected twist at the end.

While I previously said they can’t be considered a team until there’s a training montage, since Nobody attacks by using words & ideas, it just makes sense that a group talk and airing of grievances/problems is more beneficial.

And speaking of horror: I’ve said it before:
Rita: poor, unfortunate Rita Farr. Can’t catch a freaking break.

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare: crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor and surviving.

Larry: based on this episode Larry is close to 100 years old. It’s really too bad that Caulder’s been far more interested in the nature of the Negative Spirit than in helping Larry deal with his feelings of guilt and remorse.

Cyborg: The social media segment is another reason why it’s good to have a younger person in the show. Questions: 1. Was Vic actually responsible for his mother’s dead or as Nobody tells him, there’s more to the story. Is is true, or an engram planted in Vic’s mind by Silas?! And b: With Caulder missing will Silas be called on to help repair Cliff? He had only derision for Caulder’s design, maybe he can whip something up more contemporary at STAR Labs. (Edit: based on next week’s preview, that ain’t happening).

Cliff: what a performance. Whle Brendan Frasier (rightly) gets acclaim as the voice of Robotman, Riley Shanahan’s physical acting really stood out this week. Plus, in Cliff’s fevered mind we get the line of the night

quote:

“You were alive this whole time?! Yeah probably neck deep in robot pussy”.

Neck Deep In Robot Pussy should have been the episode title. Another great exchange during the therapy session

quote:

Vic: I killed my mom.
Cliff: Winner winner chicken dinner! Here. We. Go.

Such compassion LOL. And that brings us to the
Special guest villain of the week:

I loved that the rat channeled Inigo Montoya: “My name is Admiral Whiskers. You killed my mother, prepare for my revenge”. And the little victory jump off of Cliff is a great visual.

And..more time goes by and our rag-tag group of weirdos are still no closer to finding the Chief. Get it together gang!

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 30, 2019