Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
HQ chat: I do enjoy how Ivy is having more and more difficulty keeping her 'I love you's casual and offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Am I the only one who's reminded of Dr. Zoidberg when I hear Bane's voice?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

my fav thing about bane is it's an impression of Tom Hardy's Bane

Yeah, I know, but it sounds really Zoidberg.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I believe they specifically said in interviews that they weren't going to go there this season. So have fun with that.

Eh, it feels like they're at least going for a deliberate slow burn with a goal in sight, so that's a plus. They do feel like the sorts of characters who would take a while to realise how much they're into each other.

The only issue is that they'd damned well better be confident that they're going to get another season if they're playing it slow with the overall story like this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though Dr Psycho hating women was part of his character from the start unlike Light.

I mean, he's a Wonder Woman villain. They're going to have at least one token misogynist. I think what makes this one charming is that he's hit rock bottom and is starting to slowly realise how awful he is (while the universe uses him as its punching bag and most of his victories are achieved with the help of his female boss).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like the sports-show energy of this series. You know, a bunch of weirdos, misfits, and screw-ups banding together towards a shared purpose and finding a new family that brings out the best in them. The Legion of Doom are basically the rear end in a top hat Sports Team they're out to beat. It's just that their shared purpose is terrorising the planet, and nobody in the show takes that at all seriously, so why should we? I think the reason I'm kind of hyped for a Harley/Ivy romance in S2 is because they might be daring enough to make it healthy and wholesome.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LashLightning posted:

Technically anti-Semitic, if going by that set of rules the British media was crowing on about while it was smearing Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour party. The crime-themed bar mitzvah was pretty terrible, too. I really, really hope the writers are actually Jewish, or else this is hosed up.

They are, yes. Halpern tweeted about it. It's basically a show about Jewish supervillains (yep, Harley's Jewish too) by Jewish writers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Black Manta's helmet being huge makes sense (well, comic-book sense) because he's got two gigantic fuckoff energy cannons built into it. Seriously, most of it is probably just the generator.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

it's not exactly hydrodynamic, unless his neck is about a two feet long.

He's got the next best thing - his head is mostly housed in the neck armour, like Smough from Dark Souls, so the laser turret part can move relatively freely.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This is a show about terrible people doing terrible things in endearingly wholesome ways, so I reckon that either Kite Man's going to get tragically killed off by a Legion of Doom member, or he's going to realise what Harley means to Ivy and they're going to have a good-natured breakup where they stay friends afterwards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do enjoy how we haven't actually seen this Clayface do much actual evil. He's just a superpowered actor who works for supervillains.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Catfishenfuego posted:

OG Wonder Woman also had a really cool take as the hero who empathises with and redeems her villains through the power of love and compassion which has been totally tossed away in modern times in favour of making her the one that loves killing the most.

Well, love and compassion and BDSM.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This seems like an excellent opportunity for jokes about how nobody in comics stays dead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
She's also probably the team's most skilled fighter. Not the strongest or toughest, but the most skilled. Any job that requires tactics, precision, or the ability to react to the unexpected is usually hers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LashLightning posted:

I hope that the destruction of the LoD headquarters leads to an actual weakening of the group and allows competing super-villain groups to show up with the lesser known characters.

It would be neat to see a group of the villains thought to be "losers" to have an alternative "union" to join.

But mainly I want to see Killer Moth on screen.

Maybe they can even do something fun with Charaxes.

Yeah, yeah, big ask, I know.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel like an amicable breakup is the most tonally fitting way for things to end. They stay friends, and he's hitting on some other supervillain who's ridiculously far out of his league in Season 2.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I think Clayface's hands are clean.

Well, unbloodied, at least. He doesn't really do 'clean'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I kind of like Harley's look in this. It's a lot sleeker, cleaner, and more superhero-comic than her original New 52 redesign, and successfully conveys her character concept (murderously insane pro gymnast).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ludicrous chutzpah that he somehow gets away with through luck and fundamental decency is his calling card, so i think he'll break up with her and they'll stay friends afterwards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, she's a hedonist, not a mastermind. There's a genuine open question over whether she actually wants to be a crime-lord with the attendant responsibilities.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Randaconda posted:

I thought they had turned into luchadores when they first came back

They did. That's what Bane boys are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

is the ending a reference to the movie, otherwise it went over my head? because usually Bane was "made" in a South American prison, explaining the luchador theme

The prison (whether in South America or elsewhere) is generally depicted as a dark, hellish pit. The movie version is the most literal example, but it's not a huge departure from some of the comic versions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

So is Bruce going to become Oracle to Barbara's Batgirl while he's convalescing?

I'm pretty sure he's just her Batman Beyond Bruce Wayne.

Not ruling out him taking up the Oracle codename, of course.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Bane has more of a superhuman tolerance for drugs than actual powers.

Eh, chemically-induced superpowers are still superpowers. Just ask Spider-Man or Captain America.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 7, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warbird posted:

So the implication there is that one of Supe’s powers is jizz so potent that it destroys any egg it comes in contact with? Also Clark and Supe are complete separate characters now?

Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex. No, really, I'm pretty sure that was exactly what the writers were thinking of.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I have no idea what's happening in this show. I genuinely thought the idea for season 2 is going to be "no Batman, no Joker", but they're leaning into both even more than in S1.

What was even the point of this episode long flashback? What did we learn?

It was mainly about Harley's relationship with Ivy, and exactly why Ivy's so attached to her. It also fleshed out this arc's main antagonist, Two-Face, and showed us what makes him tick.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Well, I don't know if I'd say "fleshed out" given that we basically learn that Harvey only cares about his own image and promotion. Which was pretty clear from the last episode with Bane.

I'm not sure Gordon getting on steroids would be better. :v:

The main thing we now know is that Harvey was always like this. He sees no meaningful difference between being a politician and a mob boss except that one is more socially acceptable. We didn't get until now how deep-rooted his hunger for power and adulation was, and how that'll affect his behaviour going forward. Everything previous was explainable as just normal supervillain behaviour, but this preps us for things to get weird.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

I’m still hopeful the creators are going to use this to thoughtfully explore the concept of polyamory.

I think KM is just way too 'lesbian's first boyfriend' for that. He's nice, but he's ultimately someone she settled for because he was good enough and she hadn't realised something better was possible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Like how that little girl from Dr Slump showed up in an episode of Super and utterly wrecked everyone.

Arale has always been ludicrously powerful, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That eye totally has a personality backup of Sy in it, doesn't it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

All I know about the Doom Patrol is that they were in the 2003 Teen Titans show and their main villains are a brain in a jar and discount Gorilla Grodd.

Also, the brain and the gorilla are a happily married couple.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'm not sure she has any money. Like, at all.

She's an A-list supervillain. She has as much money as she wants.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Which recent DC animated offerings apart from Harley Quinn have been good, if any?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some concepts and bios from the new Superman cartoon coming

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/talkingnerd/694061134652817408

Wait, so the leadership of Intergang in this one are a bunch of loveable, bumbling rogues who treat each other like family and are trying to adjust to a lucky break that helped them make it bigger than they could have hoped? Oh dear. Oh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

There are plenty of heroes that are tough to adapt well.

Green Lantern shouldn't be one of them.

Eh, big weird space opera (which GL tends towards) isn't the easiest or most natural fit for live-action TV, even if there's been a fair number of successful shows in the genre. It's no Daredevil.