Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Quincyh posted:

Having finally caught up with the show after having to save two episodes for Reasons, I am very curious about why the writers thought I would want an entire episode devoted to boring backstory for two characters I have no interest in, who aren't even Titans.

Come on. Just why. It was worse than the Daredevil S3 ep that was 60% about Karen's boring backstory. Don't interrupt what little story you have going on for nonsense like this!

Phenotype posted:

I mean, in a vacuum, it was a pretty good episode of television and told a decent story. I usually can't find much sympathy for meatheads like Hawk, but okay, a nice glimpse of his life and the choices he's made.

But yeah, I don't know what the hell it was doing here, definitely brought the show's plot to a screeching halt. They're long past the stage where they can spend an entire episode going over backstory for tertiary characters and not progress the story at all.

Yeah this. I'd love to know why this was done as a creative decision. It already felt like the 1st Hawk and Dice story was a backdoor pilot. The entire episode being dedicated to something that had nothing to do with the serialised plot felt way off to me. It literally felt like I was watching another show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I liked it way better than Titans. Titans just seemed tonally wrong from what I wanted from a Titans show. Doom Patrol seems to have a better fit. Also it helps that they aren't saddled with a really bad actress as their main focus (the actress playing Raven has no dynamic range- which is saying a lot since she's playing Raven).

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

roomforthetuna posted:

That's not super smart, episode 1 is the worst episode.
(Not that it's bad, just all the others are better, so they should put the first two to really sell it.)

This is true. It suffers a bit from pilotitis. That's when you have to set up your show before you get into the mode the show will be in each episode. By the end with the donkey you are starting to think... Wait what? They could have done a little better to get right into things.

Otherwise, this has been a pretty drat good show. Last week's Flex ep kind of felt like they spun some wheels for half of it, but literally that's my only two complaints about the show so far, and I feel like I'm incredibly critically picky.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

I just want swamp boobs because we got boobs in Doom Patrol. I didn't watch that Titans show, not sure if it's my thing. Probably because I recall that from Teen Titans which was a cartoon that came out while I was far out of the age range to watch it. So is the DCU show alright? I might give it a try. I only started reading this thread once Doom Patrol talk started so maybe I'll check out the beginning of the thread.

I'll go the opposite of Rock and say don't watch it! It was bad. The acting was bad, the costumes were bad, the production value felt cheaper, the plot spins wheels for a few episodes, there's a backdoor pilot that doesn't even feel like it's part of this show, the last episode was laughably bad, the characters are far removed from what you would expect as "Titans" either as a comic reader or cartoon watcher, and worst yet it is boring in places... I could go on! Meh watch it anyway and then report back in.

I just don't know about that show. I doubt I'll watch s2 unless people in the thread say there's a dramatic turn around. It felt like a slightly higher budget CW show to me along with the young angst and pointless drama.

Doom Patrol was amazingly good in comparison. The actors did a great job with their characters giving them personality. All of the above complaints don't hold water except there could be a case for calling the Flex episode a spinning wheel, but it still was entertaining even though it didn't push the main plot forward as much as some of the other stories. I thought it was excellent overall and I look forward to s2.

I'm honestly surprised that the same creative directors lined up the writers and showrunners for each show.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

So is the DCU show alright?

An Ounce of Gold posted:

my opinion and then

"Meh watch it anyway and then report back in..."

Rocksicles posted:

Why would you discourage someone from making their own mind up?

So my answer is because the person asked for opinions and then I said to watch it anyway. That doesn't really seem like discouraging the person from making up their own mind when I told the person to watch it themselves and even then report back in.

If you want to quote my first sentence in my other post as a rebuttal though I won't feel bad!

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 31, 2019

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

George Kansas posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Titans and holy poo poo is this show poorly written. Like, I could probably take a mediocre show and be fine with it because I like these characters, but a lot of this dialog is just embarrassing. It sounds like I should stop now and just skip on to Doom Patrol, right?

I'd say yes but I don't want Rock to have an aneurysm.

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

...the show by itself felt pretty unsatisfying. Oh well

Mmmmmm unsatisfying! That's about how I felt too. Usually unsatisfying means "not worth watching" to me. If my lawyer and Rock could now debate the merits of my post, we can come to a conclusion if Titans is worth watching. Your honor, may I step down from the stand.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
In the US he's called Waldo West

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I can't be the only person who hates that effect, right?

Yeah a lot of people. That's why those ahead of the curve have moved on to the purple(maroon)/green filter set. Now you can get sick of that over the next decade!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Harley Quinn was going to be horrible due to... DC? Is that fair at this point?

I liked it a lot. It was funnier than I expected and had some decent characterizations with a few nice Batman style callbacks.

So, Titans is a trash pile.

Doom Patrol was wandering but good and weird.

Commissioner Gordon playing with the bat signal was great. Harley Quinn is funny?

EDIT: Also, to me the violence is fine. She's the girlfriend of a psychopath for a reason. It wasn't gratuitous for violence sake; it was showing what her everyday life is while having a fun way to deliver exposition and building character.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 3, 2019

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Two episodes in and I'm ready to claim that Harley Quinn is DC's best show on tv/stream currently. That includes the cheesy CW stuff.

There, I've said it.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MadJackal posted:

It's the commitment to a stupid visual joke that I respect the most.

That was a good shot. I think the only thing that could have made it better is a moment pause at the end with Shark's fin ripping out of the suit while they laid in the pile.

Good show. Good episode. This has easily been one of the best shows that started in 2019. I'm putting up there with Mandalorian and The Witcher in terms of just pure enjoyment of the journey.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Someone give it to me straight.

I liked Doom Patrol and Harley Quinn ( a lot even).

I didn't even try Swamp Thing and I thought s1 of the one with Nightwing was horrible enough not to watch s2 or remember its name.

I really don't care for the CW stuff.

Would I like Stargirl?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ok it seems like pressedbunny and Phylodox might have to work out some sort of duel to see if I watch Swampthin... Oh poo poo Phylodox won!

Thanks for the heads up pressedbunny. I was feeling like Stargirl looked a bit CWish. I will enjoy Doom Patrol S2 however!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I freaked out a little when they called Michelle Gomez Doctor Who. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nerdietalk posted:

Doom Patrol ending with The Brain and Mallah's cover of a love song while the entire team lashes out at each other over their inability to function or communicate as a found family is one of many reasons why its just my favorite show on television.

I love that song too. It's basically about finding anything you want on the Champs-Elysées (think 5th avenue) in Paris, including someone to love. I don't think I've ever heard it in an American show; so it was quite a welcome surprise.

e: in case anyone wants to hear it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDWeLlvYyYU

And that is a cover/remake of an English song called Waterloo Rd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKYUrxWRLHk

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 6, 2021