Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I liked Harley Quinn, but I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Can we all agree, though, than Alan Tudyk's voice work on Joker was really good? Hard for me to describe, but: def Mark Hamill-ish but not entirely a straight up imitation, he brought his own... I dunno, charm?

Loved Ivy's VA, too.

E: typoed a name

Ah, that's who Joker was. I knew it sounded familiar.

I really enjoyed Harley Quinn. The opening scene starting off with "My fellow Whites" and celebrating their favorite pastime of "...loving the poor!" was fantastic. Lots of influence from Venture Bros (as was brought up earlier), the original Dini Universe, and like a hint of Clone High.

The swearing could be cut in half to add more emphasis to it. I'm fine with the violence, it's basically just Looney Tunes for an R rated audience.

Looking forward to more episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This takes a little bit of the sting out of Tuca and Bertie getting cancelled. Also, this character is now my permanent headcanon for Clayface and I'll never see him in any other media in any other way.

This is one of those portrayals I could see carrying on in other forms, like Nextwave's impact on their team in the wider Marvel universe.

...we really need a Nextwave movie.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

So far, I didn't even realize that Dr. Psycho is voiced by Tony Hale, but now I can't unhear it.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Tony Hale be more unhinged and pissed ever, and it’s just pure joy.

Love this show.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

angerbeet posted:

"I'm going to blow you up, satay"

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Harley Quinn made a joke about a pear tree that survived 9/11.

I'm not kidding, this show is my favorite comedy on any medium.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"Is your card... the three of hearts?"
"No."
"...fuuuck."

The line delivery of this show is amazing.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

It's the commitment to a stupid visual joke that I respect the most.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Megazver posted:

The real comparison and analogy is Venture Bros. It's pretty much Venture Bros: DC Universe Edition.

This needs to be emphasized. The super-science/super-villainy comedy irreverence is on the same level, which is very high praise for HQ. VBros has just has literal decades to build on its mythology.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Supposedly S8 is coming in 2021 or 2022.

:sigh:

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

This is the most amazing achievement of this show. Taking one of the stupidest weakest most unreusable concept characters and making them a beloved frequent-occurrence character that we want to never end. Also that he's not even the only one, sharkyfella is the same way.

Tom King's recent run of Batman was the basis for this iteration of Kite Man, btw.

It meanders way too much towards the end and I wish he had stopped dipping into the MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEAAAD thing, but he had a good run.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I am in awe of this show.

There was so much character building and humor off what was basically a MacGuffin plot. Like I can feel the little moments sprinkled through these 22 minutes that set up bigger points later in the series.

And the humanity and heartfeltness of the dialogue. These writers are fan-loving-tastically talented.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Alan Tudyk could really give Mark Hamill a run for his money in the "best Joker voice" category if he gets to do this long term.

My immediate reaction was thinking this is a sacrilegious opinion, but you might be right. Hamill nailed the insanity of Joker and will always have the creepiest laugh, but Tudyk's range gives him a lot more to play with when he expresses genuine mirth and then cold malevolence.

Also, S2E6 might be the best straight-played episode of a DC property in the last decade.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

HQ is actually surpassing VBros in a couple ways, which is nuts.

I'm invested in these psychopaths!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I DM'd the writer of an episode a while back because it was so good, and I'm happy to disclose she's covering both next week's episode plus the finale.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Given we know the outcome from a single preview frame, I expect a pre-credits montage ending with The Girls sleeping with each other in the first minute of the next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

I enjoyed the Amazon queen saying a traditional celebration, Harley saying "we're going to have a loving rager?" and the queen in posh voice sounding like she's going to correct it, "we're going to have... a loving rager."

Best line of the episode.