Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
This show's tone could more or less be described as "what if a Marvel Netflix series were set in the Arrowverse?"

I don't think it works very well at all in the first episode, but it's at least weird enough that I might watch the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

yeah, I didn't mean the Arrowverse part literally, just in that it leans into the fantastical, comic book-y aspects of a superhero universe (and looks to do so more in upcoming episodes) despite the aforementioned Netflix Marvel-esque tonal and aesthetic choices, which I find very weird and somewhat off-putting thus far, but ymmv

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 17, 2018

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

man, this show still really wants to be a Marvel Netflix series and it still feels weird

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

One thing you can guarantee, no Inhumans, ever.

there aren’t any on the Marvel Netflix shows, either!

anyway, I think ep 3 pulled off the tonal balancing act better than the first two did, at least. By no means sold, but I’ll keep watching for now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

oh yeah I forgot to mention the flirtation between Raven and Beast Boy, which is unintentionally creepy given that the actors are 14 and 23, respectively. hopefully the show doesn’t go any further down that road

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

that was actually... good?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

okay, so the Danny the Street/drag stuff is really good, but nitpick time: why does Rita have to explain who Karen is to Cliff early in this episode, as though he's new to the team and has never encountered her before, when her thing is "90s romcoms" and he's been living at the mansion since the late 80s?

one of the few things I dislike about this show is just how little the writers seem to care about the implications of making all the main characters immortal, and apparently they're just willing to straight-up ignore their own chronology for expository purposes? like, at least have her explain that to Cyborg instead

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

BSS TV crosspost: Swamp Thing is ending S1 production early, and “the reaction on the set was one of shock.” sounds very bad, and possibly bad for DC Universe more generally, but not a lot of details right now

http://www.wect.com/2019/04/17/sources-swamp-thing-shut-down-production-early/

EDIT: I should have linked to this story instead, which has more details, none of them good: https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20190416/breaking-swamp-thing-to-shut-down-production-early

quote:

The currently in-production project is being shut down earlier than expected as its producer, Warner Bros., evaluates the future of its DC Universe streaming service, on which the series was scheduled to premiere May 31, according to several sources within the local industry.

Local crew members were notified of the unexpected development Tuesday night, and were told the project would wrap production on episode 10 and then halt as writers and producers rewrite an ending. Initially, the show was scheduled to film 13 episodes through May.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 17, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

tbf, it's possible that the sources are exaggerating things. Titans also had some weird production issues, with ordered and fully shot episodes getting cut and reshuffled into other episodes and the S2 premiere, and it still got an S2 order.

Either way, we'll probably hear more soon enough.

edit: One of the stars confirmed it on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwW_sq1FUcZ/

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 17, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this has disappeared btw

this was it

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

They managed to confirm it, but there is nothing in the article that confirms it.

they have their own sources, apparently. Still might as well take it with a grain of salt until Variety/THR/Deadline report it, though.

if it's true, which I suspect it is, what the hell is going on with DC Universe and WB? Obviously, this show had BTS problems, we knew that once the episode order was cut, but to cancel a show on a new streaming service after only one episode has aired is just nuts. Guess they don't care about the DC Universe brand if they've already decided to just fold it into the broader WB streaming service.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

The old accounting error switcharoo.

btw, I’d take those tweets with a grain of salt - I don’t doubt that NC tax poo poo had something to do with all this, but the articles he cites as proof don’t *appear* to back up the notion that the rebate WB had expected was anywhere near $40m

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Fwiw

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20190606/wilmington-shot-swamp-thing-canceled-after-airing-one-episode?template=ampart

quote:

A widely circulated social media post Thursday questioned if the cancellation was due to the state making an error in how much it would give back to the production, offering up more grant funding than it was allowed to give based on the program's parameters. The program's funding cap for a TV series is $12 million.

David Rhoades, spokesman for the N.C. Department of Commerce, which oversees the grant program, said Thursday that claim of an error on the state's part is not true.

"The production company had a clear understanding of the resources available from the state under the grant program, and proceeded with the production here on that basis," he wrote in an email.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Swamp Thing wasn't terrible, but it definitely had some budget issues and lost momentum over the course of its run . You can really tell the season was intended to be three episodes longer (with Floronic Man as the main antagonist of the last three), and they had to end most of the subplots abruptly with little to no resolution when the order was cut.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Space Fish posted:

Titans season 2 looks baller, pass it on

the S2 trailer looks more CW-esque, which I don't really mind because S1's attempts to meld that tone with Marvel Netflix never really worked for me

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

meh premiere, but given its very weird production history, I'll reserve judgment on S2 for a few more episodes. The trailers have given me some hope that the creators understand what did and didn't work in S1, at least.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

watching the latest episode of Titans right now, why/how is a show with these characters so loving boring

earlier episodes of this season gave me hope that this show had finally struck a balance between the more overtly comic-booky aspects and the gritty, grounded Marvel Netflix approach, but nope, it's swinging right back in the latter direction and not in a good way

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

DC Universe never made it to my country, I guess because of the same reason Disney+ has been struggling to get here. They have their lawyers fighting with teeth and nail against two of our main TV networks (who are in danger of bankruptcy) who don't want just a slice of the streaming-mania, they want the whole cake.

It never launched anywhere outside the US, in fact.

anyway, it’s very clear that DC Universe was a relic of pre-AT&T Warner and that it made no real sense to continue it in an HBO Max world. I just wonder why they killed it by a thousand cuts instead of announcing a more unified phase-out plan, but this was inevitable.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of funny how out of every show on DCU Swamp Thing was the only one that got canceled. That's a pretty good track record for a service.

well, there was also the Lois Lane/Lex Luthor Metropolis prequel series that was ordered straight-to-series but was cancelled before it even got into production

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Piell posted:

Gotham Knights trailer came out and A) I did not know the premise of the show is "all of batman's rogue's gallery all had kids and now they need to team up with batman's adopted son (a new character named Turner) to solve batman's murder after they get framed for it", B) it is CW as gently caress, and C) it looks bad

It doesn’t even look like an Arrowverse/Riverdale-era CW show so much as it looks like a pitch from 2002 that was passed over in favor of Birds of Prey and was inexplicably dusted off 20 years later

Toshimo posted:

Is there anywhere that's ever published the Palicki WW pilot in more than potato quality?

Probably not, it’s an unauthorized leak of a pilot screener from over a decade ago that was never meant to be seen outside NBC

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Funniest thing about the 2011 Wonder Woman pilot is the Jeffrey Toobin and Alan Dershowitz cameos. also that Pedro Pascal is in it