Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MonsterEnvy posted:

AVM Man is also known to be really powerful. His power set is super versatile.

Probably just as versatile as Metamorpho, who he has a borderline resemblance to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

That was amazing. This series is amazing. I am amazed. Was expecting the Brotherhood of Dada but instead they reached way, way back for this week's origin story.

A-V-M Man tangled fairly often with the original team in the comics, no less than 4 times with the classic team. In his first appearance, he changed into a giant paramecium.. later he was able to become a Neanderthal Man, a swarm of gnats, and a river of acid.

As MonsterEnvy says, his powerset is diverse.

quote:

"I could only afford magnetic feet, this is so much better" LOL.

The original AVM-Man was Dr. Sven Larsen, a contemporary of Niles. Interesting that they changed his origin and nationality. His original origin took place during a demonstration he was running where he fell into a vat of amino acids that was being zapped by artificial lightning. Had nothing to do with Nazi scientists..

quote:

Conversly, Mr Morden/ Mr Nobody isn't a total villain either; he seems more intent on taunting the DP and teasing them with things they don't know, and forcing each one to be honest with themselves, than trying to kill them.

When comics version Mr. Nobody first came into being, which did have to do with a Nazi scientist, he decided to celebrate 'unreason' and instead formed the first incarnation of the Brotherhood of DaDa. He considered the concepts of good and evil to be outmoded and just wanted to do whatever struck his random fancy. He didn't really show any godlike powers (other than being unaffected by bullets and killing everyone involved with his creation) and in fact created the Brotherhood of DaDa from random people who got superpowers from the Gene Bomb (part of the Invasion storyline) to help further his random desires.

There is nothing in the reimagined origin for Mr. Nobody that precludes the existence of other members of the Brotherhood of Evil, so it's possible we might even get Monsieiur Mallah and the Brain showing up later in the series.

Tying in his creation with Caulder intervening is a pretty good way to make their origins related.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 3, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

More complete version of Doom Patrol main theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svqnjoYtoJs

Sounds a lot like Clint Mansell's Lux Aeterna track from the Requiem for a Dream Soundtrack.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 3, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Plus just generally the muted colours and a certain shabbiness make him fit right in.

If I looked like this under the bandages:

I probably wouldn't give a poo poo about wearing anything attracting attention to myself.

Some thoughts:

It was weirdly touching to see the scientist puppet (and its puppeteer) lay down to die when von Fuchs 'died.'

Still, I get the feeling von Fuchs had a backup plan offsite, I doubt he had that bundle of ethernet wires running into the back of his head just for show.

Also I thought the guy manually running the air pump for von Fuchs looked like Giuliani.. maybe it was an intentionally vague dig at the administration, like 'Control is a weapon for fascists?'

Also love the little touches here and there.. "Sadly, we no longer accept Groupon."

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 3, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

LashLightning posted:

Turns out Cliff wasn't actually putting too much strength into it, it's just that Fuch's Brazil Boys were more fragile than they looked.

What? It's not like anything else Fuch made was all that good on purpose. Morden was a fluke.

It's somewhat implied that these bodies may have been literally empty shells for von Fuchs to shuttle his mind into, because when he's not directly controlling / occupying one, it just cocks its head to the side and blankly stares. Probably a lot easier to occupy/control a body if you either got rid of the original mind or if it never had one at all.

Presumably von Fuchs is GTFO'ing out of the body or forced out when Cliff is damaging the body too much.

He most likely has a bunch of other bodies stashed away somewhere else for just such an eventuality; he'd be stupid not to since he has the ability (and funding) so we may see him again later this season or next.

Next episode is entitled Cult Patrol.

We'll meet what's supposed to be a drunken parody of Constantine, Willoughby Kipling, who will recruit the Doom Patrol against presumably the Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E... I would have preferred if they got Matt Ryan and did the real Constantine, unless he's locked up with the Legends of Tomorrow crew.

Cult Patrol trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWrC5L3ef5w

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 4, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So, yeah, Episode 4, Cult Patrol..

Cult Patrol appears to be the adaptation of the storyline of Doom Patrol #31-33. I wonder what made them want to adapt this first as this is nearly midway through Morrison's run, when he seemed to be getting more comfortable with pure strain weirdness.

The intro of Willougby Kipling, the priest that replaced Emilio Cuervo, and the kindly family raising the kid destined to become the living book that must be read to summon the Decreator, this all compresses the content of nearly two comic book issues into one episode.

At the start, gotta admit it kind of worked with the slow gothic buildup of weird rear end things, but I think the producers tried a little too hard to hurry things along and as a result half the episode was 'weird poo poo happens for no reason other than a guy with a British accent says it must happen.'

I think I could have done with a little more exposition because to me the Nurses with Straight Blades and the Dry Bachelors were well done but they literally popped out of nowhere with no rhyme or reason to explain their existence other than that they are assassins that act as precursors for the Decreator.

Still trying to digest the rest but at least there are some pleasant surprises:

Rita begins to show her classic 'Elasti-Woman' powers during a time of stress, BTW the Fantastic Four predate the Doom Patrol by only 2 years in comic publishing time

Turns out Chief had actually tried to communicate with the Negative Being ages ago

Kipling is pretty much the same drunken rear end in a top hat he is in the comic book, only thing he doesn't do is say chin-chin even once

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Niles probably had to concentrate on the life support for the brain first, then slap together a serviceable body before the brain passed its expiration date..

It ain't easy keeping -just- a brain alive ya know..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

They're trying to keep elements from both the Morrison run -AND- the classic Arnold Drake 60's run, which is fine by me. Animal-Vegetable-Man (and Mento) is definitely classic Doom Patrol.

Remains to be seen if we get General Immortus, Garguax, or the Candlemaker.

Edit: Trailer for S01 E05, Paw Patrol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU7X1qy7xVw

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 12, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'm going to mention a few things that DC Daily has mentioned about episode 5, they haven't 'happened' yet but we're told they're happening:

Why did Mr. Nobody tell the team not to look for Niles? Weelllllllllll... Turns out Mr. Nobody has become aware of the awakening of the De-Creator and its implications for the destruction of the universe, one object at a time.

In true wacky DC fashion, he decides to team up with the Chief, who suggests that Nobody should use his powers to go back in time to the 60's/70's and convince one of Crazy Jane's personas to start a cult that will worship.. the Re-Creator!

IMHO this is a pretty drat inventive twist to the story.

In the comics universe, the De-Creator will eventually destroy the universe, but instead of objects disappearing relatively quickly, one after the other, its rate of destruction is reduced to a crawl thanks to the efforts of the Doom Patrol.. so much so that the universe will likely disappear on its own by the time the De-Creator catches up. But in the TV universe, the Re-Creator is just going to re-create everything the De-Creator destroys.. hence the 'staring contest' in the trailer.

Ed Asner will guest star in episode 13, title not released yet. (I bet he's gonna be General Immortus!)

Rocksicles posted:

They just dropped him in the comics as a gently caress you to the Hellblazer crew because he wasn't allowed to use Constantine. It doesn't have to make sense.

Morrison wasn't allowed to use Constantine by DC Editorial, it wasn't so much a 'gently caress you' as 'I'm using him anyway, but just to make you douches happy he's Constantine in all but the name.' Constantine was part of the Vertigo Universe, Doom Patrol was still part of the mainstream DC Universe, DC editors said nah no universe mixing.

Heck, the Justice League even made a cameo in "The Painting That Ate Paris" but pretty much as side characters who decided to let the Doom Patrol handle the situation because they had a reputation for dealing with weirdness as in most of the Arnold Drake run. Superman was reduced to the World's Greatest Spectator whose purpose was solely to use his super vision to tell everyone the Fourth Horseman was emerging.

DC didn't move Doom Patrol to the Vertigo imprint (and thus, into the Vertigo universe) because it was still technically in the main DC Universe while under Morrison. It was put under the Vertigo imprint after Morrison left and Rachel Pollack took over.

With 'Willoughby Kipling' only a few things really changed between him and Constantine.. appearance (brunette vs. blonde), main vice (alcohol as opposed to smoking), both characters have pretty much the same knowledge and abilities and tend to use magical artifacts a lot.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 15, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I like that the all powerful Archons are defeated by a lady on a respirator who likes Springsteen. :D

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

How does nobody ever age in this show. Like if Jane has been at the mansion for like forty years why does she still look like this

Negative Man: cause he's a walking third degree burn? All he has to do is switch out bandages and dark glasses

ElastiWoman: constantly rebuilding herself from protoplasm?

Robotman: a can of Brasso and some steel wool?

Jane: doesn't spend long enough in each personality to age? Alternatively whatever the sick scientists did to her

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Niles was implied to be a polymath in both the comics and the TV show; he may have either come up with his own 'fountain of youth' (comics) or stumbled across one in his adventures with Willoughby Kipling (TV show.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trailer for Episode 6: "Doom Patrol Patrol"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWOoNI1lb-0

So yeah, I guess this is a nod to the 1967 Rat Patrol series where every episode title ends in "Raid.."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That's messed up as Rhea, Arani, and Josh (Lodestone, Celsius, and Tempest) were from the second roster that formed after the originals 'died' in the comics universe. They're twisting history!

Supposedly after Crazy Jane hears 'Doom Patrol' at the end of the last episode, she does some Googling or whatever and runs into the Doom Patrol from the '50s, who also incredibly have supposedly not aged a day since their time way back when.

We're supposed to also be getting 'a tease' of one of the greatest Doom Patrol villains ever next episode. I bet it's either General Immortus or Monsieur Mallah and the Brain, as we already got Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man to make an appearance.

Mento looks like he's insufferably pleased with himself 24/7.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 20, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hopefully they never adapt anything from Byrne's run, as he literally managed to single-handedly turn his run into total poo poo.

He also had no respect for anything done before him, and he thought he could reinvent the team just as he reinvented Superman; his stories were derivative and boring, choosing to throw out the weirdness Morrison brought and wrote them as a generic superteam of dysfunction like that had never been tried in history, ever.

For a second, I thought they made the older version of Steve Dayton look like Stan Lee!

I kind of like the idea that the 'old' Doom Patrol still retained their powers and still could be effective against Mr. Nobody if he hadn't spectacularly broken their brains.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trailer for the next episode Doom Patrol, Therapy Patrol, Episode 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHvEg5bubC8

Getting a little meta, I'd say.

Feeling more pity towards the old Doom Patrol in that their encounter with Mr. Nobody felt like the trope from Watchmen where the world was becoming more dangerous than 50's era heroes could handle.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

We're also still not absolutely certain what happened during the transformation. And we've only seen one crude side of that story via the puppet show. Did Caulder actually spitefully shoot Von Fuchs, or did he accidentally shoot him while trying to stop the experiment? And how was Von Fuchs able to continue to operate after Caulder presumably called the authorities on him? Still a lot left open for an origins episode.

I kind of hope they don't relegate Animal Vegetable Mineral Man to being simple comic relief; he was one of the Patrol's most dedicated foes in the comic, having a near-irrational hatred of them.

LashLightning posted:

We've seen Mr Nobody absolutely ruin Calder's previous team. He's no trickster, now, he's a straight-up villain.

Mento may have been an rear end in a top hat, but the other two definitely didn't deserve what Nobody did to them. Calder is going to have to be shown doing something really heinous to justify Nobody's grudge against him.

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah it was really sad seeing how the old team ended up, gonna be hard to anti hero Mr. Nobody after that

The threat of the De-Creator was probably used to introduce the first villain team-up which I thought should have been later in the season or even the next; it didn't seem right to be pitching the 'he's not all bad' angle so early in the show. But what's done is done, I guess.

The 'old team' was incapable of stopping Mr. Nobody as they were only used to dealing with the threats of that time, presumably typical criminals, spies, perhaps a super-villain or two.

Mr. Nobody's attack came pretty much right after his transformation when he was probably still getting used to his powers/near omnipotence and he might have gone a bit overboard.

Perhaps the time spent by the current Doom Patrol, the years of dealing with their own personal horrors will be the edge the new team needs to beat Nobody; in a power-for-power comparison the only member of the Patrol that Nobody even appears to respect is Negative Man, the rest are at the same caliber of the 'old' Patrol he beat into submission, as far as he's concerned.

My gut feeling is that in the end, it's going to have to be a group effort to 'defeat' Mr. Nobody, but I don't think they need to do anything except rescue Niles.

In the original comic, Nobody is killed by the US Government, by someone just as mentally unhinged and with just as weird powers as he has. Hopefully they might use another transformed hero from the '50s to defeat him, although I sure wouldn't mind a reimagining of John Dandy, who himself was adapted from a 1940's comic called "Yankee Doodle" and his sidekick Dandy. (Keith Giffen mysteriously brings him back, without explanation, as "Mr. Somebody" in his run.)

Nobody may have that grudge because he may believe that Caulder, in interrupting whatever was happening in the chamber, stopped him from getting total omnipotence; remember that Niles chided Nobody when the threat of the DeCreator became evident. Nobody took one look with his telescope and knew that he was no match for the DeCreator. He tells Niles to shut his hole, which shows he's not impossible to defeat.

It should be noted that when Nobody appears in our reality, he's somewhat.. fragmented? He only seems to be able to manifest as 'whole' when in his native dimension/reality. When he appears in ours it's as if we can only see portions of him like he's bobbing at the surface of a river. This may also be a key to his ultimate defeat.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 26, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In the comics, Mr. Nobody tends to lean towards the whimsical and away from the outright malevolent; IMHO he's the opposite on the TV show.

My feeling is that it's like that time Alan Moore wrote the Last Superman Story, and Mr. Mxyzptlk had decided he'd spent the last thousand years being simply mischievous, and now he's going to spend the next thousand years being outright evil.

Morden, in the comics, spent all his time being the henchman for others in the Brotherhood of Evil; once he got his powers he decided to chill and instead of do things of great import like knocking over the Bank of France or blowing up the Statue of Liberty, he'd do silly stuff like run for President and expose Paris to the magic painting. Whereas on TV, he gets somewhat more upgraded powers and decides he's gonna do all the poo poo his bosses did but better, and with more terror.

I'm kinda sad we didn't get to see Mr Nobody's vinyl men, but they probably already blew their budget portraying the Dry Bachelors and the dudes from Nurnheim.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Admiral Whiskers is a nice invention by the show's writers and it definitely fits the spirit of both the comic book and the TV show.

Still waiting to see who DC gets to play General Immortus, if ever written.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Admiral Whiskers felt sorry and retired to a life of straightening out people's messy garages as atonement for what he did to Cliff.

Rita losing her cohesion is definitely something adapted from the Giffen run, back in the original Drake run, it was considered freakish enough for her to change size, a la the 50ft. Woman.

I can't help but feel that there's a reason for Cliff's retro tech. Perhaps it's more reliable than the stuff Cyborg's dad came up with? Able to withstand more punishment, or shielded from Mr. Nobody's influence in some way? Note that Mr. Nobody had to result to subterfuge to screw around with Cliff; with Cyborg all he had to do was look at his arm and it blew up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Well cyborg wasn't really built by his dad, right? It's because his dad was screwing with the motherbox as a way to heal him after the explosion. Maybe Silas actually caused the explosion that way in the first place.

Or do I have cyborgs origin wrong? I thought it was like alien tech that infected him

The DP origin for Cyborg is kinda messy, it implies Silas Stone had to manually hack off the bits that were beyond repair and graft on the new stuff without anesthesia, I didn't see no Apokolips technology mentioned.

EmptyVessel posted:

So Cliff's retro tech is superior, in the very specific context of being messed with by Mr Nobody, because it's retro - Cyborg is a self-driving car with an AI that can be hacked, Cliff is a workhorse 1950s truck with a human driver with no possible point of entry for such a hack.
I think.

I agree and stand with this assessment. The only way Nobody can affect Cliff is to get a third party to physically cross his wires, so to speak. During one of the earlier comic books, Animal Vegetable Mineral Man transforms into a cloud of gnats and tries to infiltrate Cliff's skull; it is the first of only a few times Cliff has ever reacted in terror to a threat against his robotic person.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Kind of uncomfortable with Danny's sudden fear of Mr. Nobody. They never met in the comic but they clearly must have in the TV show continuity. Mr Nobody's only supreme in his pocket universe, why would Danny be afraid of him?

It's clear that Danny can not only teleport himself and the 'Danizens' but anyone who steps into his/her threshold.

Would have liked to see more of life on Danny The Street, I bet the bookstore is fascinating.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trailer for episode 9, "Jane Patrol."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKYkoisDxy0

Yup we get to go see The Underground, and see what Brendan Fraser looks like in Robotman clothes.

So when Cyborg asks for help to find Niles from Danny, all Danny can do is manifest an old issue of My Greatest Adventure?

The OG Doom Patrol is still literally the opposite of the current TV version; a group of adventurers brought together by a wheelchair bound genius, determined to turn the tables on the fate that turned them into outcasts.

The TV version is a group of people who are still barely clinging to reality, who don't have any foundation except the house Niles left them, and are only now beginning to rely on each other to get through the day.

I wonder what will happen that finally cements everyone as a team and causes them to adopt the "Doom Patrol" moniker, because right now the only people to have had that title are rotting away in a superhero retirement home made just for them because their powers are too dangerous to let them be exposed to the rest of the world.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

someone in the Doom Patrol thread pitched Danny the Street as Doom Patrol's new base of operations next season, rather than the old mansion.

It probably won't happen but holy poo poo that would rule

Happened in the comics but it's not gonna happen on TV until the gang takes care of Mr Nobody; as you saw in this episode Danny is scared shitless of him.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvWFAHxwRWs

Yep, the Beard Hunter. Looks nothing like the one in the comic, fortunately.

That had to be one of the worst drawn Doom Patrol issues ever, like it was made primarily to beat a deadlie.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That instant where Cliff goes 'what' seconds before he's thrown into Jane's nightmare Underworld is just so funny to me. :D

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Beard Hunter is the best new character DC Universe has adapted!

I sure hope we haven't seen the last of him, as he's about to get beat up by the deer god..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trailer for the next episode, "Frances Patrol." Looks like another bottle episode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgsSwawZCFs

Bonus: Five minute interview with Brandon Fraser on the Today Show. Imagine a show that actually makes Brandon's kids think he's cool, when Air Heads, Encino Man, and The Mummy don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxBGQmprX2E

Spacedad posted:

Honestly Beard Hunter deserves to be his own recurring anti-hero with a much longer run beyond this show.

Mmmmm, nah. I couldn't stand him in more constant doses than what we got. Especially if it has to bring us to West Seneca, NY each time.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 22, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

One of the tropes of the original comics DP was that their enemies tended to band together; since they seem to be trying to follow the spirit of the Morrison DP, which in turn was the only DP that followed the spirit of the original DP, maybe we'll get that team-up.

We're more than halfway through the freshman season and we haven't seen:

Garguax
Mr. 103
General Immortus
The Brain
Monsieur Mallah

The writers may have decided these guys are too 60's to pull off, but I would be fine if even one of these guys shows up as a throwaway reference or in-joke somewhere.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

We saw the brain's case inside mento's man cave.

Huh, forgot about that. I hope that someone will give us a guided tour of that man cave at some point, minus the crying bleeding teenagers of course.

Brandon looked like he could let that suit out a couple of sizes..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bB3i7UiMV4

Trailer for Cyborg Patrol.

Cliff is such a wuss.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I kinda think General Wampus eating the Big Mac, mouthing nonsense, and basically acting like a stooge was meant to lampoon a certain dimwitted Chief Executive..

Also interesting that they didn't even bother to disassemble Cliff, they just caught him in a electromagnet. They likely just X-rayed him at some point off-screen, scoffed at the seemingly low-tech they saw inside and gave it to low-echelon technician to assess and dispose of. Maybe the Chief purposely put in really, really state of the art tech disguised as low-tech so people wouldn't be tempted to steal it. Maybe.

Makes me wonder if the 'super-sarcastic toaster' isn't a stand-in for whatever Internet criticism there is of the show..

Welp, next issue episode looks to be the resurrection of Flex Mentallo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFwmYIbzCMc

"Finally! A superhero team I can actually USE!"

Also has anyone drawn the parallel between the butt balloon in Episode 6 and the ravaging butts that escaped in the Ant Farm? Maybe Mr Nobody is responsible for both..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 5, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wampus staring longingly at the (projected) flag in the background was a little on the nose, I thought.

I wonder what the repercussions will be for 1) busting out and 2) setting everyone else free. Also pretty sure Neg Spirit caused millions in damage, too.. get the feeling Darren Jones will have survived the butts attack, though.

If everyone holds hands, Flit can blink them all out without having to take the elevator.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trailer for Episode 14, Penultimate Patrol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b4iZK1m9cM

"If stupidity were a super power, you would be goddamn Superman!"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hate to point this out but there's been no official statement from DC regarding Doom Patrol. But from the rumors that have been spread and the way DC goes out of their way to include them in DC Daily Youtubes, it's probably at least a safe bet DC's approved of this idea.

The team is now really starting to act like one. You can see it in the way Jane and Cliff interact, in the camaraderie between everyone, in that little missive about Rita saying she's gonna kill Larry if he bleeds on the carpet.. all sorts of little hints here and there. It's actually somewhat entertaining to see Nobody recognize that as well.

Alan Tudyk is a goddamn wonder. Its thanks to his acting chops that Nobody devours the scenery with gusto, and at this point you could with some diligent editing retitle the series as The Adventures of Nobody.

Something that Von Fuchs mentioned clues me in to Nobody's power, he mentions that they draw from other dimensions. Say you come across a 2D universe existing on something like a sheet of paper. You might not be able to rip that paper, but you could fold it or bend it and to the inhabitants of that 2D universe it would be like someone is twisting reality around them, which is essentially what Nobody does. It might be said that Morden's abilities are similar to Mr. Mxyzptlk's, although Morden's were created artificially.

Nobody's appearance in this universe may stem from the fact that he can't actually leave the Nobodyverse (already coined on DC Universe's page, not by me) but he can crudely impinge on ours, resulting in the broken puzzle silhouette he manifests as. The next two episodes will bear this out, I think.

Looks like Danny the Street will also be figuring in the next episode, so it's a 'the gang's all here' moment!

I highly doubt that Nobody could be contained in the physical sense, so it'll be interesting to see how his beef with Niles and the Doom Patrol gets resolved. Also, if Nobody is so powerful and he's God of his pocket dimension, why would he give a poo poo about anyone looking for Niles? There's got to be a reason other than his fear of Neg Man's other half.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Kind of interesting how the episode ultimately exposes that Nobody is basically the same as them- he is what he is because of something traumatic that happened to him. If Millie hadn't abandoned him, he might have gone on to do something enterprising on his own, but I'm sure she was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back in his case.

Nice touch to have Morden's robot figure into the story.

Nobody isn't going away, but whether or not he figures into season 2, if it's been officially green lighted, is anyone's guess.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Some scenes from the finale episode, "Ezekiel Patrol"

The description:

DC posted:

In the wake of the Chief’s revelation, the Doom Patrol go their separate ways in the season finale. But when Mr. Nobody hatches a new plan, the team must reunite to help the Chief with a new unexpected (and weird) threat to the world.

According to the guest star list, all the gang's here- Willoughby Kipling, Cliff's daughter, Beard Hunter, Tempest (the guy taking care of old Doom Patrol,) Hammerhead and Ezekiel the Cockroach.

Should be pretty wild!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

A little compressed but not that bad a way to end the season.

Cliff / Brendan is a master at emotional rants. I look forward to the day (that will eventually come) that his ability will actually win a battle for the team; I see it coming as clearly as Ezekiel's ascension.

Kind of interesting how Dorothy is powerful enough to nullify Nobody's powers but we don't get to see her face.

Maybe we'll get a visit from Ray Palmer next season since he's an expert at size changing?

BTW there is still no 'official' word that there even is a season 2. I hope so.

For content, here is an interview with Jeremy Carver about Doom Patrol and the possibilities he sees in a season 2.

WARNING: FINALE SPOILERS IN THIS LINK!

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/24/doom-patrol-showrunner-jeremy-carver-season-2-supernatural/

Also..

https://twitter.com/curtisisbooger/status/1132062401782697984

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I saw that scene with Nobody clutching the bottle of blue liquor as a sign he got bored of celebrating how he hosed over Niles, and he wanted to continue doing it, and suddenly remembered there was something he never got to do that would gently caress up Niles even more.

His error was in forgetting to consider that Niles had basically sired a demigod who then, on discovering she was about to be kidnapped against her will, stripped Nobody of his powers and empowered Admiral Whiskers and Ezekiel for unknown reasons.

Hopefully next season, assuming DC makes one, will allow Cliff and Rita to do more saving of the day, as it's been pretty much Neg Man and Jane, the 'heavy hitters' doing most of the bacon saving (as it was in the comic book..)

I was also kind of hoping that the Gloom Patrol (Mento, Lodestone, and Celsius) would have had a hand in Nobody's defeat, or at least gotten wind of it somehow, not that it would help them given their current states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Did anyone notice that he came within one syllable of naming the Brotherhood of DaDa? The Brotherhood of Dangerous Animals?