Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Beat my 2nd playthrough, got all the donuts and the extra NG+ collectibles why is my stuffed animal sexting people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

Beat my 2nd playthrough, got all the donuts and the extra NG+ collectibles why is my stuffed animal sexting people
FK. FK never changes.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Questions everyone should ask themselves at least once.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I've been pretty glad to hear that pretty much everyone loves the game. Also I like that SWERY will promote every review of the game, including the odd one that didn't quite get it and had lower scores. A very honest guy.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah, I'm glad people are liking it too. The game had some issues with the controls imo; but has some incredible heart to it. It's also really pretty.

I even remembered being a bit troubled that it would kinda go the sort of gross route with its gore since the main character is a girl but it completely avoided that too. I really digged this game.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Meallan posted:

Yeah, I'm glad people are liking it too. The game had some issues with the controls imo; but has some incredible heart to it. It's also really pretty.

I even remembered being a bit troubled that it would kinda go the sort of gross route with its gore since the main character is a girl but it completely avoided that too. I really digged this game.

The 'distorted' darkening effect that happens when you take injuries is no small mercy, let me tell you.

I kind of felt the controls were second nature after a while, and only rarely had issues where I was doing things I didn't want to. But I might just be more tolerant of that since I've played some REAL bad platformers.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So i'm scrolling through twitter and somehow stumble across this:
https://twitter.com/Giant_Tabby/status/1055302577238138880

Which
1) made me laugh
2) reminded me that waaay back when (when Resident Evil first came out) i thought a cool idea for a game would be is if you were a zombie and instead of healthbars and whatnot you'd just get more and more damaged 'til you couldn't actually do anything so i'm mad that someone stole my idea :mad:

and 3) made me curious about what the heck is The Missing anyway?

Turns out it's a pretty cool little game so far! Although it seems i might have already missed a couple of the donut and/or donut guys since i (seem to have?) went too far and now that level is behind me. Oh well! Pressing on anyway.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 5, 2018

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Once you beat the game, there are mechanisms in place to make it easier to find missing donuts. Namely, chapter select and speed boost.

The speed boost makes a second playthrough much more palatable if you’re just looking for donuts.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

el dorito posted:

Once you beat the game, there are mechanisms in place to make it easier to find missing donuts. Namely, chapter select and speed boost.

The speed boost makes a second playthrough much more palatable if you’re just looking for donuts.

Some of the donuts are REALLY sneakily hidden, too. Just to get you since most of them are out in the open.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just finished this game last night. Wasn't expecting it to be my GOTY but drat this really is something special. Did a second playthrough and it was amazing how the surreal imagery hit me once I had full context. Hoping this gets a physical release at some point as I need it on my shelf.

a kitten posted:

Turns out it's a pretty cool little game so far! Although it seems i might have already missed a couple of the donut and/or donut guys since i (seem to have?) went too far and now that level is behind me. Oh well! Pressing on anyway.

As others have said you unlock a bunch of tools to make future playthroughs much easier. Even if you managed to get all the donuts I'd still reccomend a second playthrough as theres a second collectable that pops up after beating the game.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Hey this game just went on sale for the first time on Steam. $22.49 = 25% off. https://steamdb.info/app/842910/

Funny how thin the posts are in this thread, thanks everyone for avoiding spoilers.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TalkLittle posted:

Hey this game just went on sale for the first time on Steam. $22.49 = 25% off. https://steamdb.info/app/842910/

Funny how thin the posts are in this thread, thanks everyone for avoiding spoilers.

Can't afford to ruin the best game of the year.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Awesome story and visuals and overall atmosphere. Some of the locations are really cool. I like that they use the SWERY font from D4 and the English voice acting is distinctly SWERY.

Liked the platforming and gimmicks at first, but the middle is the low point of the game Route 65 and monkeys and the pitch-black portions in particular. Certain animations are too slow, making the platforming frustrating when you have to restart sections. Some obstacles are simply hard to see and tripped me up more than they should have.

Had a much better time after deciding to stop going after the donuts for my first run. Cheats enabled after first completion make that item hunt much more palatable.

The ending was really well done, gameplay and story both. I was a bit worried after D4, but SWERY does in fact know how to do an ending.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TalkLittle posted:

Awesome story and visuals and overall atmosphere. Some of the locations are really cool. I like that they use the SWERY font from D4 and the English voice acting is distinctly SWERY.

Liked the platforming and gimmicks at first, but the middle is the low point of the game Route 65 and monkeys and the pitch-black portions in particular. Certain animations are too slow, making the platforming frustrating when you have to restart sections. Some obstacles are simply hard to see and tripped me up more than they should have.

Had a much better time after deciding to stop going after the donuts for my first run. Cheats enabled after first completion make that item hunt much more palatable.

The ending was really well done, gameplay and story both. I was a bit worried after D4, but SWERY does in fact know how to do an ending.

I dunno if they're a low point to me. They feel different and slower and are a lot more puzzlely than the others.

Actually, I think they might be a low point in the sense that since they were relatively light on story compared to the other parts. Yeah, okay, I would agree there.

The cheats help a lot. I managed to find 90% of them on my first playthrough, though!

And honestly, when SWERY is allowed an ending, he nails it. Both Deadly Premonition and Missing have amazing endings.

Also real talk: Whoever got me my new avatar, you're good people.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bought this because of the thread and LOVE it. So glad I went into this blind.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 27, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hello The Missing thread, I bought this game on several recommendations (we are absolutely loving it over in the dedicated transgender thread on these forums, for pretty obvious reasons). I'd actually never played a SWERY game, though I'd backed The Good Life on a whim some time back, and this was the first game that had me full-on weeping by the time I reached the end. Talking with friends, we all agree that it's incredible someone managed to make a game that treats this subject matter so well. There are so many emotions, so many things packed into the few gameplay hours. This is definitely goty for me (and that's a tall order since this year I've bought a Switch with Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOTW), and maybe even the best game I've ever played on the storytelling part.

Thanks for listening to me gushing about this game, have a good day :)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just finished game

gently caress

I dont think I've ever cried this much on a game except maybe Gone Home.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mikl posted:

Hello The Missing thread, I bought this game on several recommendations (we are absolutely loving it over in the dedicated transgender thread on these forums, for pretty obvious reasons). I'd actually never played a SWERY game, though I'd backed The Good Life on a whim some time back, and this was the first game that had me full-on weeping by the time I reached the end. Talking with friends, we all agree that it's incredible someone managed to make a game that treats this subject matter so well. There are so many emotions, so many things packed into the few gameplay hours. This is definitely goty for me (and that's a tall order since this year I've bought a Switch with Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOTW), and maybe even the best game I've ever played on the storytelling part.

Thanks for listening to me gushing about this game, have a good day :)

Oh no I accidentally moused over this spoiler and now I have to play this game. :shepicide:

Intro is playing now. Voice acting ain’t that great but it looks fascinating.

Edit: oh my god this is the Deadly Premonition guy???????

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 28, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

...Trap sprung? I guess? Sorry. (Not sorry. Everyone should play this game.)

Yes this is the Deadly Premonition / Dark Dreams Don't Die guy. He, who is known for weird artsy stuff, did a wonderful thing (which is also weird and artsy).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No that’s a good thing don’t worry.

Edit: this deer kweeeeooooo puzzle is loving me up. Were there clues for this somewhere?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 28, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No seriously I’m stuck. Where was i supposed to get the solution to this puzzle? Or complete the body before it? Cause I can’t find the last piece.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That puzzle sucks and I got it by complete luck. You're supposed to put them in the places to imitate Michaelangelo's Vitruvian Man but even looking at the solution, I really don't see it. The body parts are not in the same orientation as the drawing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

That was the one puzzle I had to look up the solution for, and even after looking it up I looked at it and went "nope, still no idea how I was supposed to solve this."

The solution is to put a platform at the bottom, then put the limbs onto the platforms, rotating the thing clockwise, in this order: upside-down leg, arm throwing the horns, arm flexing, other leg. Then rotate everything into position and you're done.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mikl posted:

That was the one puzzle I had to look up the solution for, and even after looking it up I looked at it and went "nope, still no idea how I was supposed to solve this."

The solution is to put a platform at the bottom, then put the limbs onto the platforms, rotating the thing clockwise, in this order: upside-down leg, arm throwing the horns, arm flexing, other leg. Then rotate everything into position and you're done.

:wtc: Dammit game. I think the intent is to put each body part where it would be relative to the vitruvian man statue, but there’s nowhere near enough detail to make that out.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I was fine with that puzzle, it was the later puzzle in the bowling alley which I could not figure out and still do not understand even after looking it up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dear game devs: please let me skip your long cutscenes when I keep dying and having to replay them. EDIT FROM FUTURE: it’s - pollyanna you dipshit

Starsnostars posted:

I was fine with that puzzle, it was the later puzzle in the bowling alley which I could not figure out and still do not understand even after looking it up.

It getting that weird doorknob that’s tripping me up there. Am I supposed to grab it as a head??? And how many cardboard cut outs are there supposed to be in the wheel? Just those three, or do I somehow get another on there?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 31, 2018

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

That was made even more confusing for me when I successfully jammed the big shoe through the bowling alley return thing. Which worked just fine, but had gently caress all to do with the puzzle but sure seemed like it might.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wow, this final sequence. Am I correct in assuming that the room with saws and ropes at the very bottom is a dead end and I somehow need to juke my way around the Witch? I can’t think of another possible solution. EDIT GOT IT

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 29, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished the game. Some of my thoughts:

As a trans person, that hit pretty hard. Right around the “therapy” bit with the mother is where i started to spiral down, and I saw red at that Facebook profile, holy poo poo. I don’t cry much, but I sure felt dark towards the end there, especially at the suicide.

The themes and symbology throughout the journey felt pretty accurate to the hellishness that is our experiences.

Still trying to put together the meaning of the ending, but here’s the facts as I know it:

- The J.J. we know is the true/ideal J.J., whereas the J.J. that gets resuscitated is the meatspace bag (ask me how I feel about meatspace :argh:)
- The Emily in the dying dream may be partly representative of J.J., partly a reflection of Emily’s meatbag - I’m not sure what the hell is up with the warped speech and whether there isn’t even two Emilys in the dream after all
- The mom suuuuucks.

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been where J.J. was before. Working through the pain is ultimately the only option we have. We come out for the better at the end, I think.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

- The J.J. we know is the true/ideal J.J., whereas the J.J. that gets resuscitated is the meatspace bag (ask me how I feel about meatspace :argh:)
- The Emily in the dying dream may be partly representative of J.J., partly a reflection of Emily’s meatbag - I’m not sure what the hell is up with the warped speech and whether there isn’t even two Emilys in the dream after all
- The mom suuuuucks.

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been where J.J. was before. Working through the pain is ultimately the only option we have. We come out for the better at the end, I think.

I agree with the first, third, and especially fourth point. Regarding the second, I think the only times we see the real Emily is through text messages, and at the end after J.J. gets resuscitated. The "Emily" J.J. keeps chasing after in the dream is a manifestation of J.J. subconcious.

If you haven't already, do a second playthrough trying to get all donuts, 100%-ing the game unlocks some really nice stuff and some extra text messages. I especially liked to see the reactions of the people J.J. keeps in touch with to finding out J.J. is trans.

Lily immediately outs her to everyone. Like, the moment she finds out she's running out to blab her mouth, even though J.J. specifically asks her not to. gently caress you, Lily, why would you do that?

The professor is cool, however. The conversation goes basically "I heard a rumour about you, is it true?" "Yes." "Alright. How can I help out? We have a counselor here at the college if you need to talk to someone. And I'd like to have you over for dinner to talk about stuff."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should do another playthrough to get all the collectibles sometime too, I got most of the donuts first time though so it feels like a lot of effort

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sakurazuka posted:

I should do another playthrough to get all the collectibles sometime too, I got most of the donuts first time though so it feels like a lot of effort

If you got most of them it won't unlock any more text messages, but if you 100% them you get some very nice pictures in the gallery. There's also a 2nd set of collectibles to get in NG+.

I had a quick question about Emily. Are JJ and Emily supposed to be in a relationship? Or are they just really good friends? Emily is always sending love emojis and in one text talks about how she confessed her feelings, but I wasn't sure what their relationship was

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think it's quite explicitly the latter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's pretty much up to interpretation but my thinking is that they'd be in a romantic relationship if it wasn't for JJ's confusion with herself and they're both trying to work out how to cope with that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven’t done NG+ or collected all the donuts so I’m avoiding most spoilers, but I didn’t get the sense that Emily and J.J. weren’t in a relationship, even in the texts and outside the dream. Did I misunderstand (which is often)?

Also, I thought there was a button to injure yourself. Nothing I can do does that. Is that just meta-commentary?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a NG+ thing

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a NG+ thing

Hmm, I’m in NG+ (assuming that means I hit continue or chapter select), and it’s still not working. I have it bound to ZR, is that right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In the cheats menu there should be options for what uh damage you want to do, you have to enable one of those first (can't remember if it's actually called cheats, where ever you change costumes and stuff).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Regarding JJ and Emily's relationship, I think it's open to interpretation. Personally I think they're best friends and have been since a very young age, and they care very deeply about each other, but right now they're both not quite ready for their relationship to become a romantic one, what with all the stuff they're going through. But in the future, they might. Especially after reading the NG+ texts, now that JJ's trans stuff is starting to get somewhat sorted out, there are hints that they're about to take their relationship to the next level, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mikl posted:

Lily immediately outs her to everyone. Like, the moment she finds out she's running out to blab her mouth, even though J.J. specifically asks her not to. gently caress you, Lily, why would you do that?

I may be mis-remembering so correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember in one of the earlier conversations Lily says something rather intolerant about LGBT people plus she definitely had a crush on JJ so I think Lily just got salty when JJ came out with her gender to her and outed JJ like the shithead she was deep down

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 29, 2018