Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

I’m dedicating 2018-2019 to cultivating my hatred of the Celtics and especially their hobbled nazi small forward.

I'll continue to regard the Sixers with amusement, while sipping sparkling water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Fair

As JJ Redick said yesterday : it’s not a rivalry until the sixers beat the Celtics

For real tho I am very happy to have the good sport going again, should be a very fun year. I'm grateful for the revived rivalries and the drama they will bring

Aye Doc posted:

yay regular season
boo to closing the offseason thread before making a new one

I'm like 99% sure it happened last year too, it's very stupid. Who the hell is so trigger happy, is this place so busy that the threads need to be culled on a rigid timeframe? No overlap or death

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Neither the Celtics nor the sixers are getting past my son Cedi

Cedi Mind Tricks seems like a delightful boy and one of my best friends is Turkish so I'm rooting for him

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Cave drawing box scores are a great idea

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

Can someone explain to me why it looks like more journalists are predicting Clippers as a potential 8 seed than the Mavs? I don't think either are likely without potential help from other teams messing up but I feel like the Mavs are better at maybe every position than the Clippers.

Tobias Harris, baby

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Clearly Yahoo didn't hear about his tribal ceremony earlier this summer. Wow

E: Lmao they deleted it with the quickness. It was a tweet making fun of Kyrie for wearing a feather in his hair, an obvious reference to his Sioux membership

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 16, 2018

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Thanks for blocking the shot in, Joel

https://streamable.com/kut3y

I love NBA

zelah posted:

I wonder what a Lillard Kyrie trade would have looked like. If it was going to include a Cleveland 1st rounder I think I’d do it, but who could have known LeBron was doing to leave

Kyrie would get injured and you'd have to survive on CJ alone in the playoffs is what!

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 17, 2018

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DC Murderverse posted:

i am ostensibly a Timberwolves fan and will be cheering for their success but because they're clearly going to be a slow-moving train wreck until at least the trade deadline, and LeBron has moved to a team that I cannot in good conscious cheer for (except when I'm in LA on vacation and at a Lakers game because I"m not a loving ghoul),

I am in need of a backup team! I want someone not too good that I'm clearly bandwagoning (no Warriors/Celtics/Sixers/Rockets), but also not a total trainwreck/horseshit (no Suns/Knicks/Hawks).

the ones at the top of my potential list are the Nets, Jazz, Nuggets, and Mavs (I have high hopes for Doncic). Anyone else I should consider or should I just start watching whatever?

Nuggets are the most "fun" out of that list for sure. I'd put the Jazz in the too good list, I think they're right there with the Rockets

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

I've always found cheering for players and not teams is easier for your "second team." Like if there are a few guys you like, or one guy you love, just try to catch their games. I think we all sorta do this. CBM told you Denver is good (which is true), but he only said it because he's a Jokic stalker.

Hey I like Jamal Murray and Gary Harris too

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

can't deny Jamal Murray. Who as you all remember, I effectively scouted at the PanAM games before he went to Kentucky.

I tried to keep the Jokic slobbering out of it by just calling them fun, I think their offense is more enjoyable than any other in the league besides the Warriors. But yes it's basically Jokic fanboyism

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Celtics defense is a rough test for your first real NBA start, if Fultz continues to act timid vs. the Bulls on Thursday then the sky is falling

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Al Horford rules, can't be easy to not fly out of the way when a human as large as Jor-el backs his rear end down

https://streamable.com/p1m58

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The refs basically let Horford get away with anything so :c00lbutt:

Sure

Drunk Canuck posted:

Kawhi scores 40 tonight. Easy.

He's getting traded for Jimmy Butler

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The ball was definitely blocked by Embiid but Brown squared up, saw Embiid in the post waiting for him and decided to try to jump over him anyways and the ball still went in so I'm proud of him

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So for the free league pass trial is it just sign in with your NBA account?

Also anyone here of any India or other cheap deals?

Also my daughter likes cheering for both the Sixers and Celtics.

I feel like a bad father. lol

Sounds like your kid is learning to love the sport more than individual team fandom, which is a good thing!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

He also sent Embiid sprawling and landed on two feet.

Yeah. Hell yeah!

How many games did he start in the preseason? One? He lasted one game?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Well I can admit

I was way off

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

SilkyP posted:

Also ben simmons last night whoowee

Yeah, he really needs to learn how to hit free throws at least

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Raptors fans did Danny dirty

https://streamable.com/oi905

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Space Camp fuckup posted:

It ruled, too. Devin Booker is a star

His hand sure as hell isn't bothering him it seems

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

I saw one Ariza layup in DJ's face that really disappointed me.

What games should I watch highlights from before I go to bed?

Kemba's one man comeback against the Bucks was pretty wild

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

I think a lot of the criticism comes from Jokic superfans on the internet who think Malone is underutilizing him, while at the same time giving him no credit for handing a 22 year old, 41st pick, seven foot tall living personification of the Pilsbury Dough Boy the keys to the offense in the first place. I think a lot of old school coaches would have just let him languish on the bench.

Turns out that actually doing the basketball playing gets you some credit, a rare thing nowadays

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Personal issue: Not as good as Cam Payne

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

zoux posted:

Bryn Forbes....

Bryn Forbes coached by Pop or Cam Payne coached by Uncle Fred? I'm going with Bryn 10 times out of 5

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

Oh, yeah totally. I didn't mean to downplay how rad Jokic is, I'm one of those Jokic superfans on the internet

My man

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

Well, when you get Dwight Howard why put him on the floor when you already have his locker room presence.

Listen you're the one who drafted him,

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jota posted:

he just got a standing ovation for hitting a mid range jumper lmao

I don't even get any joy out of this, I'm praying for him

https://streamable.com/8rkwz

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Please don't make fun of the special Mormon underwear

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Well it's not like anybody in the Mavs organization would say anything about it

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

zelah posted:

If Nik rocks even a little and Curry can make some shots, I don’t know that the Blazers are going to be bad. Yes they got blown up in the first round, but at the end of the day they had the 3rd best record in the west and Lillard was 1st team. They’re largely the same team with young players that are one year older.

Well to be fair the difference between 3rd and 8th last year in the west was 2 games

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

D'Angelo Russell is the __ best point guard on the Nets?

Depends on if you consider LeVert a PG or not, he seems to be handling the duties but is kinda nominally a wing

If so, 3rd at the moment, but I think a lot of teams have Dinwiddie figured out and D'Lo will work his way back above him. LeVert is the truth tho

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

I think D'Lo might just be bad and Magic made a good trade afterall.

It's possible, his coach certainly doesn't believe in him

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Not only was it 2 games, but some of the best players on competitors teams last year missed a lot of games due to injury while they had excellent health to their main guys.

Millsap
Butler
Griffin/gallo before they blew up
Gobert
Conley

Blazers are my team but it'll be rough just making the playoffs.

Yeah I don't count them out or anything but it's not as easy as "they were third seed last year so they're a lock to make the playoffs this year." The west is a blender

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Draymond Green a given for the hall of fame at this point?

Nah

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zogo posted:

Kobe Bryant removed from film festival jury over 2003 rape allegations
https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant-removed-film-festival-jury-2003-rape-allegations-000612450.html

Scott Williams, Larry Hughes, Jerry Stackhouse and Brendan Haywood. The four teammates that played with MJJ and LBJ weigh in on the debate.
https://sports.yahoo.com/jordan-lebron-teammate-club-whats-like-play-goats-162132639.html

Larry Hughes: “It’s MJ...It’s real easy for me. ...MJ is the Jumpman. Then we got Bron right there holding onto the shoe.”

Scott Williams: “I’ve never been a stats guy. Don’t start talking stats with me. That’s for all the sabermetric knuckleheads.” Williams sides with Jordan “because of the killer instinct that he had.” Because of the “it” factor.

Brendan Haywood: “Right now...it’s MJ. When you’re talking about greatness...and championship moments. Certain things go beyond statistics.”

Jerry Stackhouse: No comment.

It's been twenty years since MJJ suited up for the Bulls. One of the great moments in the post-Michael Jordan era.

There aren't many things dumber than a grown man plugging his ears and closing his eyes and saying Stats aren't for me, I don't like Stats, Ya Galoots

Ugh I HATE numbers!!!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Apparently Amir Johnson had enough

https://old.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/9pkwrh/amir_johnson_ranting_on_twitter_appreciate_it/

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Maybe if they ever patch his collision detection. Ridiculous

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Traxis posted:

Why is the GOAT debate always LeBron vs MJ when it should be Wilt vs Kareem?

Probably doesn't go much deeper than people more easily relating to people they've seen in action, if this forum skewed older you'd get more Wilt and Kareem promotion

I hope Mambold is okay

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Stevie Lee posted:

Holy poo poo the Wolves are lucky they didn't blow that at the end there. Jimmy Butler saved their asses.

e: Jayson Tatum barely shot better than Fultz did last night

I'm sure Markelle Fultz will do better with Kawhi Leonard defending him

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zyla posted:

garbage celtics team couldnt even beat the shitraps

Playoffs are a long time away, check back in then

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

CRISPYBABY posted:

Raps are 2-0. 82-0 and 16-0 in playoffs are in sight. Sorry league, you're hosed.

I have several hoodoo implements set up, ready to curse the Parappers into extreme dehydration

Test me at your own peril

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zyla posted:

:smith:

im mostly joking the raps look incredible

Gotta pace yourself cuz some team like the Magic is gonna win 15 straight in the start of the year and then lose 45 of 50. The wacky sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

championships are won in October

Carlosologist posted:

Let’s not get hasty here, the Raptors still have to play the Bulls

Both very true

• Locked thread