Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Infodump for gen 4 stuff I compiled from the last thread that might be useful now:

Bold are new evolutions from previous gen Pokemon. Save up candy for these (non-baby) mon:
  • Magneton → Magnezone
  • Lickitung → Lickilicky
  • Rhydon → Rhyperior
  • Happiny (baby) → Chansey
  • Tangela → Tangrowth
  • Mime Jr. (baby) → Mr. Mime
  • Electabuzz → Electivire
  • Magmar → Magmortar
  • Eevee → Leafeon
  • Eevee → Glaceon
  • Porygon2 → Porygon-Z
  • Munchlax (baby) → Snorlax
  • Togetic → Togekiss
  • Bonsly (baby) → Sudowoodo
  • Aipom → Ambipom
  • Yanma → Yanmega
  • Murkrow → Honchkrow
  • Misdreavus → Mismagius
  • Gligar → Gliscor
  • Sneasel → Weavile
  • Piloswine → Mamoswine
  • Mantyke (baby) → Mantine
  • Budew (baby) → Roselia
  • Roselia → Roserade
  • Kirlia → Gallade
  • Dusclops → Dusknoir
  • Chingling (baby) → Chimecho
  • Snorunt → Frosslass

A list of types and how many existing legendary Pokemon they are effective against when including any incoming gen 4. Invest in these type Pokemon or at least ones with these types of attacks:
    9 - Dark (Mewtwo, Lugia, Latias, Latios, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Giratina, Cresselia)
    9 - Ghost (Mewtwo, Lugia, Latias, Latios, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Giratina, Cresselia)
    8 - Rock (Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Regice, Rayquaza)
    7 - Bug (Mewtwo, Latias, Latios, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Cresselia)
    7 - Ice (Zapdos, Lugia, Latias, Latios, Groudon, Rayquaza, Giratina)
    6 - Electric (Articuno, Moltres, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre)
    6 - Fighting (Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Dialga, Heatran, Regigigas)
    6 - Ground (Entei, Raikou, Regirock, Registeel, Dialga, Heatran)
    6 - Water (Moltres, Entei, Ho-Oh, Regirock, Groudon, Heatran)
    5 - Dragon (Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Palkia, Giratina)
    5 - Fairy (Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Palkia, Giratina)
    4 - Grass (Suicune, Regirock, Groudon, Kyogre)
    3 - Fire (Articuno, Regice, Registeel)
    3 - Steel (Articuno, Regirock, Regice)
    0 - Flying
    0 - Normal
    0 - Poison
    0 - Psychic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Pomplamoose posted:

You forgot:

• Luvdisk → Alomomola

As nice as that would be, they don't. Not to mention Alomomola is gen 5 so even if they were, it doesn't fit my list.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I thought it was but I assume most people playing Pogo don't know most Pokemon and I don't want them to get fooled. I took the bait.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Pushed that thread title through in the name of Jesus like it’s Kavanaugh facing multiple rape allegations.

And even despite the most amount of disapproval of the thread title, it gets a lovely, cutesy "(haha, we used it anyway)" attached after the fact.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Sounds about right for my town.

Also for people who are torn between saving or using pinap because of the new starters and the incoming Beldum day, just remember that every starter will eventually get their own community day. So unless you really want to be the first one in town to put an Empoleon in a gym to show off, I'd save the pinaps.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Or make another incense item for that exact purpose. It would even fit a la the berry item scheme where they just picked from their large selection of berry names and used random ones that had nothing to do with how pinap or razz berries work in PoGo. There's 9 incense items so far in the game and they can just retcon and code our current incense to have one of those names too.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I've been the bearer of bad news to people irl and in Discord because they keep expecting Glaceon/Leafeon to come out and somehow lump Sylveon in there and I'm like uhhh you got 2 more years minimum to wait for that one.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Honestly Niantic seems to have given up on giving us nice things like double exp and shop discounts. No use waiting on sales or mass evolving Pidgey at the right time anymore.

Hope everyone's cleaning their mon storage tonight.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Ideas for JoJo team:
  • Pangoro for Jotaro
  • Machamp for Star Platinum
  • Oranguru or Slaking for Forever
  • Tangela/Tangrowth for Hermit Purple
  • Blaziken for Magician's Red
  • Bisharp or Gallade for Silver Chariot
  • Jolteon for Red Hot Chili Pepper
  • Persian for Killer Queen

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Smeargle first

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Entropist posted:

Double candy for everything will never happen again. They only did it for the first Halloween and they realized how overpowered it is, especially now that there is trading and Pinap berries and all sorts of things. After that, it's always been with restrictions like catch only or hatch only.

I'm theorizing the same for double exp and the emergence of friends. Not only are friend exp bonuses way bigger bonuses than mass-evolving, it's much more friendly for casual players than doing the math for how many evolutions they can trigger within 30 minutes and how many evolution fodder they need to keep in storage.

That said, I can use an egg on ultra/best friends and still use the rest of the timer for mass evolutions. Anyway, RIP no limit double exp/candy events.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

slave to my cravings posted:

It irritates me that if you start a raid close to when the timer runs out and then you get a network error or your game freezes which causes you to exit the catch screen, you lose the chance to catch the Pokémon because the raid timer is now expired.

Our local rule of thumb is start a raid at the latest with roughly 7 minutes left just in case this happens and you might have a minute or two before the gym's timer is up after you beat it. Otherwise we all know the risk we took.

PathAsc posted:

Also lol, we "killed" the boss today, but the timer still counted down to 0 and we lost. Good job fuckos

Their programming sucks and lets the battle timer run anyway during that stupid beginning GO zooming into your face as well as the snail's pace dying animation of a raid boss. Essentially it's like 10 seconds of battle time shaved off altogether for unskippable animations.

NZAmoeba posted:

Is Giratina actually good for anything or is it just an entry in the dex?

This forme sucks. Maybe Origin Forme in the future will have better stats and/or moves. I think some hearsay by local players was that the game accidentally gave Giratina stats with a lot higher CP than what we're seeing now for a little bit yesterday before reversing it, suggesting that it might be the better stats of the Origin Forme. Could just be bullshit though.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Gengar backpack rules.

It's even cuter if you're riding in a car or going really fast and your character is doing a run animation and you watch the Gengar backpack shake back and forth.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

bowmore posted:

I'm hoping they get some juicy butt pants sooner rather than later, flat rear end does nothing for me

I went cheap and kept on the Team Rocket pants I bought a long time ago instead of buying skinny jeans in black.

Enjoy the view nonetheless :butt:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Sour?

Unsinkabear posted:

Motherfucker, there was a way to get Shadow Ball Mewtwo?!

It was a mistake on someone flipping the switch between Mewtwo and Giratina release and some people coincidentally realized using TMs for a short time had the chance to get Shadow Ball on Mewtwo. Probably because people wanted to turn some of them into Ice Beam Mewtwo in preparation for Giratina because I was doing the same but I think I only started after Niantic corrected themselves.

Dr. Fetus posted:

https://twitter.com/NianticLabs/status/1054569879980924933

Considering what Autism Speaks actually stands for, all I can say is :yikes:

I doubt Niantic's gonna change their plans anyway. I imagine they're just gonna look at the number of replies only and go like "Seems like only slightly more activity than usual on a social media post, guess people are passionate about autism!" without actually reading the content.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

"Adventure Sync can record your walking distances even when Pokémon GO isn’t launched, working in the background to tally your distance, earn Candy, and hatch Eggs!"

About tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

I just wonder if the game being idle with this feature on will burn more battery than being idle without Adventure Sync. Like, if I want to save battery power to the most, would I need to hard quit out of the game once this feature is live? Personally I'm guessing yes because as of now the game reads nothing when it's idle.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

How rare is shiny Houndour? And do you think it'd be reasonable for me to try and trade it for a Mewtwo since I am a loser that never got one?

I was about to say a shiny Houndour is better until you mentioned you never got a Mewtwo. Is this because you just started playing/took a break from playing and missed it, or is it just really hard to find/organize raids where you live? If you just missed it, then there's chances it'll come back. If it's hard to do raids, then I'd trade for it. Mewtwo is really powerful and a good generalist so if you don't care about collecting shinies, just trade. If you do like shinies though, Houndoom is not a bad dark type attacker and it's easy to get candies for it.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Getting people to use the right stuff at raids is like trying to get people to vote. There's a huge amount of people who can make a difference (in the case of PoGo, faster raids, less deaths, actually winning) but most of them are put off by the minimal effort it takes.

In the case of this game, I just wonder why people want to get better Pokemon in the first place if they don't care about using them. For the people who just wanna collect and do one-and-done on new legendaries? That's fine. But frequent players I see that go "Eh, I dunno, I just use the recommended teams" I'm thinking, why play then? I mean look at the stats on vs. Mewtwo:

Literal garbage mon you catch off the streets do more damage than Aggron.

Dragonstoned posted:

RE Gengar: I love Gengar and was pleased to hear about the shiny chance but was ruined by the it being another sucky "barely any different for normal" shiny

People gotta remember gen 1 shinies are using Game Boy Color palettes at best and that's still only 8-bit. Most of them are inspired by the puke green palette of the original brick Game Boy.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

All these Metagross will sure come in handy for Xerneas and

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

With the general response even in here about people not giving a gently caress about using Aggron and recommended teams by the game, I seriously doubt people go through the trouble of looking at the order lineup and go "Hm, well if someone in my team just put in a Blissey as the 3rd Pokemon in this gym, then the counter would most likely be a fighting type, and bad matchups to a fighting type are fairy/flying/psychic, then perhaps I will put in a good fairy type defender that hardly tops out 2000cp when fully powered up."

They're going to tap on their Rhydon or whatever is at the top of their CP assorted list.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

They've only ever gone on sale once IIRC, right around gen 2 launch I think

That is correct and everyone should abandon waiting for Niantic to do discounted storage space sales along with unrestricted double candy and double exp events. They're not going to come out with an official statement like, "Trainers! We regret to inform you that discounts/double candy/double exp won't happen anymore because we rolled out new features since then."

It's not to say it won't ever happen again, but not with the frequency of the first year of playing when there was literally nothing else going on.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Some people get the hint when I do Blissey/Chansey/Granbull/Slowbro for pink or like all evolution stages of fire starters. Most people still just put Gyarados or whatever because they're doing drive-bys.

And yeah I just have a team set called "Coverage" for gym fighting and all I have to do is adjust who goes in first to fight the first mon in the gym. I have Mewtwo w/ Shadow Ball, Machamp, Rayquaza, Lapras, Raikou, and Vaporeon. I could use a fire type in that lineup but people don't put in old Exeggutor in gyms as much anymore.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Daaamn, nice. Now you can be among the rest of us with 100% waiting for their new evolutions from gen 4 to be released.

Crosspeice posted:

You can solo the 3* one with enough firepower, since Gengar is pretty frail. But the ones on Gengar Day are specifically 4* so you can't solo them, because that would be too easy.

Is it confirmed that Gengar next Saturday will be raised up to be 4* level? I was aware of the possibility but no one I know of has seen a hard confirmation yet.

Even so, were people able to duo the legendary birds during their special days? I know they went from 5* > 4*-ish level and I hear they weren't that hard so I just wanna know if I can take out the Gengar by myself duo even if they raised from 3* > 4*. It's nice to know that they're glass cannons so that it leans on the possible-to-duo side.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I want them to release Glameow/Purugly so I can finally make a gym with Persian, Delcatty, Luxray, and Purugly. Bargain bin alternatives: Espeon and any lower evolutions of the other ones.

It won't be until gen 5 that we get Liepard and gen 6 for Pyroar and Meowstic.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

We're gonna see MAGA hat Pikachu before they give us party hat Wurmple.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Do we have any word on how Shedinja will work, or is it still just wild speculation? I can either finish my next research on the 31st or the 1st, and I'm not sure if I should make one last try for a good IV Suicune or hold it.

Wild speculation. I lean on the side that it'll be a dex entry because they're not gonna code some crazy gimmick for Shedinja. It'll probably just have stats like Illumise at best.

I would try for another Suicune while it's still under the double candy since legendary candy takes 20km to walk.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Suicine < Vaporeon < Gyrardos < Kyogre.

This is correct. Kyogre has massive bulk and has access to Waterfall, the best water fast move. Gyarados shot ahead of Vaporeon because of Waterfall as well. Vaporeon has a lot of bulk too but only has Water Gun and it was nerfed way back in the day. Suicune is just...it has no water fast move unless you caught one from the first time it came out and has Hidden Power (Water), and with candy so limited to top out its low max CP, it's hardly worth it.

But if Suicune is one of your favorite Pokemon, disregard all reason. Personal love for a Pokemon tops anything else.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

The nearby radar used to have distance indicators, but people said Niantic dropped it because it's too much strain on the game and your phone.

It would be nice if that last big update with news about the game using websockets could be for a return of better radar by reducing said strain. Chances are low but who knows what Niantic has in their pipeline.

Crosspeice posted:

It's also been months since I last got a 10km egg. Once I hatched all the regional 7km ones (that didn't have the only regional I was missing), I've got 9 5kms again like always.

They really should just let us delete eggs, but that's impossible since otherwise people would just delete them until they get 10km eggs only, and they also do want you to get frustrated enough to spend money on buying more incubators to get rid of eggs. I wish they would compromise and let us delete Alolan eggs at least, because sometimes I'm trying to work on opening presents for friendship but they fill the space whether I want to or not unless I drop everything I'm doing and go spin stops until I get normal eggs before resuming on presents. And it's not like we can game Alolan eggs anyway because they're always 7km, and super easy to get more no matter where you are.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Themata posted:

They could make it so like transferring, you choose eggs to put up for Pokedoption, but you have a cooldown period based on egg type before it disappears from your inventory. Spamming for 10 kg eggs would be harder, you wouldn't be able to get new eggs for a bit, but you also would save incubators. Later, once you've walked the total km that would've hatched said egg, the Pokemon from that egg comes back to taunt you for being a bad Pokeparent if it was a shiny, 100% IV, or new Pokemon, before leaving again.

That idea, if I read it correctly, is just going to piss people off. I think the main thing people want to avoid is having to walk these somewhat long distances of 5km and 7km. If they have to walk that distance anyway, might as well take what it gives you? Most people would have stuck them in the orange perma-incubator anyway. Also the idea of saving us, the players, from using up an incubator is exactly what they don't want when they want you to purchase more incubators.

Alolan eggs are just nuisances now that most people have gotten all the Alolan Pokemon that could come from them, and it's not like the rare ones like Alolan Vulpix is even useful if you get one. It just really sucks that they're the second longest distance to walk and there's no easy way to remind you that you have open egg slots before opening presents. Like, even give us a warning message before opening presents would help immensely if I have open egg slots. Even better would be if they can let us choose "This present contains an Alolan egg. Do you wish to accept?" and dump the egg if we say no.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

It's all good. But seriously, if they added in something to troll the player for something good they can't get anymore, people will riot. Nintendo products are always keen on preventing taunting and upsetting kids even if it's the adults that'll be the most angry.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I think they could pull off megaevolution if they have it consume candy/dust and you have to specify before combat. And not allowed in gyms.

I thought of this same idea except let people mega evolve anytime they want in the battle in case it's not looking too good. This would be a nice panic button in case people could only get small groups to raid, and also appropriately keeps it so that it costs something to people who only want to use mega evolution to solo/duo raids by themselves.

Up to them to decide how many candies it costs though, because on one end I would like to keep people from abusing it so it leads to more veteran players never helping out the average player in a raid ever again if they have just enough devices to play their alts and beat legendaries solo irl, but also not steep prices like the cost of candy that actual end form evolutions cost, like 100 candy.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Parrotine posted:

My mega theory is that it would activate just like the regular games, but can only equip one stone or have a single evo during a raid. Having a Seal Team Six of Mega RayRays would blow the doors right off the handles with any challenge in raids

That would make it so every raid comes down to a button mashing game of "who can mega evolve first." And then, only the person with the fastest performing phone that loads the battle would be able to mega evolve first every single time.

It's like that one Mario Party game where it's like Jeopardy and they assumed the players would wait for the question to modestly come out before ringing in, but everyone just button mashes to ring in first and then guess the answer randomly or otherwise you'll never get a turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXCVUrFJU3g

That clip shows how the game ends up being played realistically. The game would have worked if the answers weren't multiple-choice and people can just buzz in as many times as they can for a shot at a 33% chance to get it right. Point being, if mega evolutions were one per raid at no cost, you'll probably only ever get to mega evolve your own Pokemon when you solo a raid.

Either consumable items or spending candies would make people think twice about mega evolving and trying to overkill a raid with all Mega Rayquaza.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 1, 2018

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Entropist posted:

I guess they meant mega-evolving one out of your line-up of 6, not mega-evolving one out of all the players in total.

I mean yeah I guess this all comes down to how conservative or encouraging they want to be with players doing mega evolutions. They can be hypervigilant about preventing people from beating raids too easily (boost not too big, candy/item cost), or they'll try to promote it as much as possible (bosses possibly can't be beaten without some players mega evolving, no cost to use).

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

In the real games it has an ability that causes it to only take damage from super effective attacks, but it only has 1 HP. Since there’s no abilities in Go it just dies uselessly from anything.

Just a reminder that this is how Niantic will treat all of the special Pokemon with unique abilities even if it looks like they're withholding releasing them as if they're working on something special: everything will be a mediocre ball of HP with moves that do mediocre damage.

Ditto looks like an exception until you realize all it does is copy stats of its opponent, and just spawn a weaker version of it. Nothing that requires changing a mindless tapping battle, and fits into the mediocre ball result of Niantic-made special Pokemon. Delibird's move Present is also just a special model for the projectile and nothing more. Smeargle's gonna be the same and they're just taking 1 year+ to come up with a projectile model that looks like a paint streak/splash.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

BGrifter posted:

0 for 21 on Shiny Gengar so I’m trying to trade for one on Discord. Evolved my 100% Gastly though!

Still the best community day ever for the best Pokemon ever!

Cruel Pokemon gods. People who genuinely have favorites oughta get the special thing on their days.

They're not gonna make a Manectric day but when Lycanroc comes out I bet I'm going to get that same luck.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Wob was pretty much a brick wall with Counter so you could swap him in and trap something that couldn't hurt Wobbuffet for a guaranteed kill.

Counter is a move that waits for the opponent to attack first and then deals double the damage back, for anyone (myself included) who forgot moves actually do things in the main games other than being mashed.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I think I finished my dragon badge on the Lati@s raids but yeah again, 80% of the catches were from Dratini community day (and this very rare Dratini nest I got to visit once in the first two months of the game before they were removed permanently). It really is the only somewhat normal way for people to get gold because there's hardly any viable biomes that spawns more Dratini/Bagon, and windy is just a very unpredictable weather condition that usually gets overshadowed by other weather conditions irl.

Even if you get windy, the mobs and mobs of common flying and psychic types drown out everything and you're still just as unlikely to see any dragon types.

If you missed Dratini day you missed out on the only chance to get gold dragon badge. Or else raid like crazy on dragon legendaries.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Psion posted:

just because you bold something doesn't make it true? I'm not really sure why you felt the need to do this. I know people who got gold dragon prior to dratini community day and there are other dragon types in the game which may get a community day or an event in the future. Bagon is very likely to happen at some point based on their pattern so far.

I'm just speaking to most casual people, chill out. I mean what are you gonna tell most of them how to get gold on dragon badge right now? Fill up a full tank and run around your state looking for every weather cell that has windy weather and look for Bagon? Dig deep into a random Discord server that swears there's a spawn point that brings Dratini pretty often and camp out on a random street?

Plenty of us have gold on dragon, but I'm saying it's perfectly normal for people to not have it yet because Dratini day is the main reason most people even have it. I hope I didn't ruin your Pokeday with some Pokeopinions. Not sure why you felt the need to do this.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I was gonna complain about the massive ball dumps we get, but they actually make sense for people using the Gotcha and whichever accessories that need to be fed normal balls.

SuperKlaus posted:

Talking badges and obtainability I'm still upset I made it to 977/1000 on the training badge and will never finish that arc because training no longer exists. I hope they merge that badge into PvP or something, just for the ol' autism.

drat, that's really close for you. Honestly though, Niantic probably considers us lucky they even let that badge remain at all instead of deleting it altogether with the old system. Gym training or not, I really wish they do bring back some form of training. Some guy and me were having a pipe dream about letting us "train" a stat to permanently increase IVs like battle X times at a gym to boost attack, sit in a gym for X hours to boost defense, walk X distance to boost stamina. Would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Sanford posted:

One guy physically slapped a phone out of her hand because she was helping her 6-year old catch a raid boss. That's cheating! Kind of makes me glad I live a million miles from any other players.

I hope someone at least stood up for the lady and her son. That's such a lovely thing to do and I would understand if she wanted to uninstall the game if it's going to bring her son in danger of shitheads like that.

I also don't get that rule about raiding with spoofers; that's like a worst-case scenario assumption that the player is in cahoots with the spoofers and enlisting their help while walking in real life and not just spoofing like the spoofers. If they truly have a spoofer problem and don't want to enable them in raids, just start forming private groups. I wonder if big cities have a different feeling about all this because my place doesn't get that many spoofers but even if they're in raids, we're just like "well that's just 'air support' I guess" and it gets raids done quicker. Catching legendaries isn't some zero-sum game like everyone else gets less chances if you get one from a raid spoofers helped you win, so that's some real dumb gated-community group they've formed there.

When we do have big groups and space to get in is a problem and spoofers are around, it's not that hard to juke them by backing out and remaking a private group. It's nice to pull the seat out from under them especially if everyone backs out at the last second so they go into the raid all by themselves. Then you can enjoy your raid while knowing that they're checking the gym fervently to see if everyone is reforming a public group or not.