Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I already miss the time when it took effort to find and evolve the different mons. Now it looks like you can do one loop of the town and have a full Dex. I even saw wild Weezing and Muk, those to me ages to find enough candy for back in the day, and finding them in the wild was unthinkable.

The new starters are everywhere now and I can probably get the fully evolved ones today without trying, for the first generation starters it was a late game achievement to evolve them!

Entropist fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Plastik posted:

This is a bizarre take to me. I've been playing a lot in the last month and I haven't even come close to finishing any region's pokedex, even just for Seens. I played for three hours last night, walking around a giant university campus with Incense on for most of that, and I have 8 pokes in my Sinnohdex.
They just changed the spawn patterns a few days ago, so in the past month it was different. I'm complaining about this new, recent situation. And they increased the Sinnoh starter spawn frequency late last night.
Also, not that many Sinnoh mons were released so 8 is not bad in a few hours.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Pokemon Go: Gotta catch 'em all in my back yard

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Louisgod posted:

Nope, just using pinaps when able, each of the starters spawn a ton at my work.

I'd save the rare candy for when we have an idea of what's considered a rare spawn this time around. Garchomp, Lucario and Toxicroak are my guesses. May be saving candies for the big legendaries when they're out too.
I guess Niantic is following the lead of Let's Go, making absolutely sure that everyone will catch 'em all and not making anything remotely difficult any more.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Bullet Punch also has type synergy, it'll be super effective against the same stuff as Meteor Mash and normally you would be choosing an attacker that's super effective.

Not that Steel is super effective against much, but you know

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
For me it was quite productive this time, I got close to 1000 Beldum candies (though I already had 200) and 9 shinies. In both Eevee community days I got one...

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Niantic knows who the real hero of Gen 4 is

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1054407197801701377

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I can't do the target locking thing and I still catch almost all the Mewtwo. There must be some other issue too...

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Double candy for everything will never happen again. They only did it for the first Halloween and they realized how overpowered it is, especially now that there is trading and Pinap berries and all sorts of things. After that, it's always been with restrictions like catch only or hatch only.

I'm glad, because I don't like hoarding crap Dratinis until Halloween. And if you like that, you can still hoard them for long-distance trades or you can hoard research reward Dratinis to catch them during Halloween.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Great, another feature I had expected the game to have since the beginning. Better late than never! I hope it also does something with bicycling distance finally, instead of just dismissing it as 'too fast'.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Froist posted:

Assuming it's the same format as the legendary bird days: It'll be 5 free passes given out at the time that Gengar's on every gym, one at a time. So you can't really take the 5 free passes and use them for anything else, the best you can get is 1 free pass for other raids.
Also, if you change your time zone to the next or previous day after you finish them, you get another 5 free passes!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

GTJustin posted:

I don't think this works? When the bird days were out, ppl were getting extra passes from spin times during the Asia raid times (in Cali so 6 pm+) the day before. The 5 free raid passes seem to be global, so if you can raid you can get extra passes off of Asia/Europe/NA Gengar community hours.

It worked for me the last two bird days. I'm in Europe, when the free passes finished I set my time to New Zealand (where it was the next day, after midnight) and got another 5.

Niantic just aren't that smart.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

GTJustin posted:

Thanks! I'll give it a shot, I'm guessing you have to restart PoGo app after you change the timezones?

I'm not sure if it's necessary but I do it just in case.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I always power up one of each legendary to lvl 30, who knows when it might get buffed or something. And I still try to do the raids for golden razzberries, can't have enough of those!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

pile of brown posted:

Does anyone have experience getting cheapo phones from Wish or it's ilk? I saw a few that were in the 40-50$ range that sounded like they'd be fine statwise but they aren't from flagship lines or anything they just say "Android phone" and the specs. I know I'll never be able to return it if it sucks so I was hoping someone else might have experience. All I really need is for it to be able to attach to a WiFi tether from my other phone, connect to Bluetooth for go+ and actually run Pogo.
Most of the no-name brand Android phones can't run Pokemon Go because they are rooted or contain some other modifications not approved by Google, and it'll therefore come up with a "device is not supported" error. There is a pretty strict check (called SafetyNet I think?), and unfortunately it's quite difficult to find information about which phones pass it. I found that the cheap Motorola phones were the best option (though appearently the newest cheapest ones have Android Go and I don't know if that works). But I also saw a lot of people running around with some Chinese phone (Xiaomi?) that can run two instances of PoGo at once in split screen.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 1, 2018

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I guess they meant mega-evolving one out of your line-up of 6, not mega-evolving one out of all the players in total.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It seems like there was a backlog from last Monday on. Now I want to know if it can count my imported Strava activities in Google Fit...

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I've touched quite a few Pinsirs, more than 50 at least, and none were shiny...

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

mastershakeman posted:

People who were playing back when the Dratini nests existed and could access them basically played an entirely different game from everyone else for over a year
I caught enough Dratini even without nests and before community day because Amsterdam is full of them along the canals and in the former harbours. When I lived on a canal I was catching a few around the house every day. If I remember well I got the Dragon gold medal well before my Ice, Steel, Fire and Fighting gold medals.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 5, 2018

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Last year I got death threats twice (irl and online) from some guy who was pissed that I was feeding my Blissey that he was attacking. The consequence was that they kicked me out of the group for causing trouble, because I complained about the death threats, one of which was made in that group. Some quite lovely people play this game in some areas!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

AzureSkye posted:

It uses your phone's built in fitness tracker stuff, not just GPS. Treadmill steps etc will count, and it works fine with your phone locked and stuffed in a bag/pocket. It's really great if you walk a lot of steps daily but in a small area.
In fact, I'm pretty sure it only works when Pokemon Go is not running (completely closed, not just suspended).

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Themata posted:

My favorite part after events is seeing Jigglypuffs pop up, since I like collecting them. Oddly though, I only really seem to see them for a day or two post-event, then I don't see them again for a good while.

Question about being in range for raids - is it mandatory to stay in spinnable range of the gym you're raiding the whole time for the following?
- Raid countdown
- Raid battle
- Post-raid capture

Since I wasn't sure, I did a Gengar raid and caught it in the rain with wind while holding an umbrella and two phones, which wasn't as ideal as doing it somewhere with cover. As if to give me some leeway though, I got the hissing thing which insta-catches on my second account with my first throw, so I didn't have to stand out as long.

This also does not bode well for tomorrow's Community Day, since the forecast is more rain. :(

Entering the raid: Spinnable range
Raid countdown: Not quite spinnable range, but something close
Raid battle: Go wherever you want
Rejoining after all your mons faint: For this you have to be back in spinnable range again, or perhaps near it. This screwed me over once.
Capture: Wherever you want

So basically you can walk away once the countdown is near 0, as long as you don't try to rejoin the battle at any point.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I guess they are tackling their server issues by reducing the number of players that want to play their game, to reduce the load.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Apparently Niantic already confirmed to the people running The Silph Road that the Sinnoh Stone will be available in other (probably more common) ways in the future.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Gen 4 is peak ridiculousness for Pokemon designs, especially due to overdesigning and adding too many bits and pieces. It gets better again in later gens.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Barbed Tongues posted:

I feel like there's some middle ground you're missing here.

To express myself more thoroughly: It's the double whammy of losing the transfer from my Go Pokedex, but then only able to use it for 3/8ths of the game anyway.

I wouldn't care if there was a level nerf for each transfer, I don't mind only certain Gens or whatever because some came out in later games, I'd forgive some transfers not happening at all because they want some things to be special (Mew), I'd accept late-game copies as opposed to losses.

But as it stands, I feel like I should only transfer trash (stuff I'd get candy for anyway), and even then you only get it for the end game, so what's the point? Should I transfer a shiney? One of my good attackers? Doesn't seem like it.
Well, they did call it transferring, not cloning.

Also, I doubt it disappears from your Pokedex, you just get to use the mon that you transfer in Let's Go instead of Go.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

FrensaGeran posted:

Just tried again to see if they fixed it (for me I guess) however trying to sort by HP still just sorts them by CP. Very strange.

Themata posted:

Sorry, to be more clear, it sorts by current HP percentage, then CP, like so:

Machamp - 100% HP left, CP 3000
Chansey - 100% HP left, CP 2000
Totodile - 100% HP left, CP 800
Blissey - 99% HP left, CP 2500
Mewtwo - 50% HP left, CP 3400
Snorlax - 0% HP left, CP 2800

So if all your Pokemon are fully healed, it's no different from sorting by CP. If you have any that are even slightly injured, they'll be below all the fully healed Pokemon, and sorted by their current HP %, then their CP.

In terms of picking gym defenders by who has the highest max HP, it's completely useless (and afaik, there's no way to actually sort by this). In terms of knowing which Pokemon need healing, almost completely useless, since they're all at the very bottom, and if you have 800 Pokemon, have fun scrolling all the way down to heal them (better to do it the way doingitwrong said to, which is from the items menu).
And, it has always worked like this, since the beginning of the game, so if you previously thought you were sorting by HP you were actually sorting by CP!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
They've been like that for me since the beginning... Also regularly getting messages about "my first 7-day streak" of something, although I've been doing that since it came out too.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

bitprophet posted:

Do we know for sure yet about Sinnoh Stone storage (re: upthread assertions that you can only have one at a time)?

Only slightly related: if I've got a delicious, thirst-quenching Roserade in hand and it's got Razor Leaf and Sludge Bomb, is it worth using Fast TMs to try and get a poison fast attack? Or is this fine as-is? (It's not 100% IV either, though it's probably not a slouch.) I don't normally care a ton about attacks (I'm pretty casual) but figure I should use some of my TMs which are otherwise just eating up space.
I made mine double Poison. It's the best Poison attacker, poison doesn't seem very useful right now but I guess there will be more Fairy types later that it hits super effectively.
It's also the best Grass attacker apparently, but there are a lot more options there.

In general it is more useful to have both moves be the same type, as both attacks will be super effective against the same mons and you can choose more easily. Well, except for Fairy, where there is no fast attack. I'm not sure if Roserade would be a good Fairy attacker.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yes, it would be nice if they gave away free money.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The basic rule is to turn the game off when you're not playing. It particularly helps when you're walking around inside, where you would normally not get distance unless your GPS drifts a lot. Outside there's not much difference I guess, except that it tracks slightly better than while playing the game. You might get something more out of it if your Google Fit registers your bike ride as a walk I guess? But then the same speed limit is still there.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Seems like people just cannot stop messing up the thing with various exotic Google Docs functions. Someone had applied a filter, I removed it.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Louisgod posted:

Literally no Cubone spawn in grass environment so I'll forever be stuck at the Meltan task that needs one.
I thought so too, but I just found two near a gas station. On reclaimed land in a lake so decidedly not a desert.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Mustached Demon posted:

poo poo we could do a hatchu for holidays all year long across the globe!
It's almost Sinterklaas here, waiting for Blackface Pikachu to appear any day now.

Maw posted:

Are pidgeys super rare now? I’ve had a field task to evolve two of them for a while, and don’t think I’ve seen one in the wild for months.
In my area, people are reporting Pidgey spawns in the app groups for this reason... Ultra rare!

Parrotine posted:

gently caress off Niantic, gimme that Shinnoh Stone for my reward today, I waited all week for this poo poo :argh:

I hate how they're milking this generation dry, God dammit
It sucks. No more searching for new rare spawns - they drip-feed you one mon at a time, with an increased spawn rate to make sure everyone gets it, and then move on to the next one. They might as well put them in our dex directly.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 28, 2018

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

FrensaGeran posted:

Still not clear whether battles mean selecting moves during turns or taptaptaptap

"Battles are fast-paced and real-time, so don’t expect to wait your turn!"

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/trainerbattles/

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I got 3 Sinnoh stones from 3 battles against others for this, even though I lost twice. I approve.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In my city they have a convention to raise friendship levels directly after midnight on Friday whenever possible. It's pretty great, you can just use a lucky egg at that time and the friendship XP flows in without having to coordinate with everyone.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Dr Tran posted:

How the hell is Chansey better than Blissey in Great League?

Blissey has more attack, and attack is weighed more strongly in the CP formula. So a 1500CP Blissey has that CP largely due to its high attack, while being relatively squishy. Chansey has almost no attack, so one at 1500CP will be almost max level and incredibly bulky.

Presumably, mons with 0 attack IVs should perform better in PvP lower leagues because of this too. So a 0/15/15 IV spread might actually be better than 100% 15/15/15, as it'll usually let you have another level without going over the 1500/2500CP limit.

But actually both Blissey and Chansey are pretty bad because they made sure to make the fast moves of Blissey and Chansey (Pound / Zen Headbutt) have poo poo damage and energy gain to prevent them from dominating like in gyms.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 19, 2018

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Louisgod posted:

So how do you know you've burned through your one chance a day to get a sinnoh stone via battling the gym leaders? You get dust and/or a stone with it?
Once you used up your 1 training chance / 3 PvP chances, the next battle gives nothing. As far as I know there's no other way to know except by battling again and seeing if you get something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hey, if I get "cant authenticate" messages for three days straight, does it mean im banned?
I had this and it was fixed after clearing Pokemon Go's cache. You have to remember what a well-designed app this is.