Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Does the auto-catch of the Gotcha just basically do the usual Go Plus throw ball attempt automatically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Is there any drawback to just adding everyone in the goon spreadsheet as friends, or just do it and send lots of presents to everyone?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

You get the friendship boost upon you opening a gift or sending a gift that gets opened, but only once a day, correct?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Cool, that's really good to know.

I just started playing again after a really long break, so all this friend stuff is new to me.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Had like 1300 candy by the end of the event. 7 shinies, all of which had poo poo IVs, so I traded one to another person and got a 69% IV from it. Best normal IV'd ones are 88-91%s. Still a success.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I think they stopped it right after community day ended. I went to where I usually restocked pokeballs via stops, and none of them had starters around them.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Do people usually coordinate good friends, or is that only really necessary for Ultra/Best friends?

Either way, if you're 1 gift away from good friends with NekoSukimin, I'm popping them tomorrow at 7AM Arizona time.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

It's probably blast burn, 110 power 2 bar. Does it actually have a use even with that though? I figure it'd be just like Charizard where it's still outclassed hopelessly by Moltres and has stiff competition everywhere else. Double catch xp and double catch stardust is nice though.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I think having a keyring on the back of the go plus wouldn't be a bad thing so that you can loop it around one of your fingers or something.

Edit: r1vls, Serafaina, smapdo, Ymyry, I can't open any more gifts today. Can you guys/girls pop yours today, or do you want to sync the rank up?

Yukari fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 25, 2018

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Even for ultra friends, trying to trade for a legendary/shiny that the other doesn't have is going to cost 80,000 stardust which is quite a lot.

Dunno if my previous message was lost in the thread, but r1vls, Serafaina, smapdo, Ymyry, I can't open any more gifts today. Can you guys pop the one I gave you today, or do you want to be the one who causes the rank up?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Is Psychic even any good anymore after they changed it? It used to be a super powerful 2 bar move, right?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Brother just bought a Gotcha, and is having issues pairing it. Aside from "forget the device and re-pair it", were there any other steps in getting it to work? Mine worked like a charm... for now, so I don't really know what other debug steps there were. He also updated it via the gotcha app.

Also, is a barely 50ish IV legacy shadow claw shadow ball gengar worth powering up, over a theoretical 80+ hex shadow ball gengar?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

- What happens when he tries to connect the Go-tcha? Does the game throw any errors/messages?
- What kind of phone?
- Is the Go-tcha fully charged? I've noticed it has more trouble connecting properly if it's not freshly charged.

If I have Go-tcha connection problems, this is what I do to make sure everything has a clean slate:

- Turn off Bluetooth and force-close Go.
- Open the Go-tcha's device settings, switch to the 5th option (Pairing - it's the one after Vibration), toggle it to X, and wait a few seconds for the screen to shut off.
- Turn on Bluetooth and start Go.
- Try to connect the Go-tcha.

There was a fairly recent update to the game that resolved a lot of unexplainable Go+/Go-tcha pairing problems. I have almost no issues with it now; I'd say the majority of the time it's just me failing to charge it. The display will activate and the phone will pair it, but the game still won't fully connect to it.

Iphone 7. I think it was fully charged. He did say it was charged but idk how long he charged it for. When he connects it, it stays connected for like 5 seconds then disconnects. I passed your advice to him and we'll see if it works.

Dr Tran posted:

Gengar to get Lick?

Waitwaitwait, is this confirmed or just wishful thinking?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

seiferguy posted:

There's people I know who give up pretty Pokemon for legacy moves even if it isn't ideal.

My second machamp still has submission even though dynamic punch is strictly better.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

I was looking forward to spreading mimes to the children when we got back from Europe, but welp.

Also, I think there should be at least some benefit to having played the game from its early days.

Admittedly, I was looking forward to that too. And legacy moves are a pretty huge benefit, in addition to if you farmed the few dratini nests that existed before they put the kibosh on that. Also lucky trades are a early day benefit.

Edit: Who would want to trade you a shiny Ho-oh for a random oldass pokemon? I mean, I got my brother to trade me a low IV SB Mewtwo but that's because, y'know, family.

Yukari fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 26, 2018

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

But yeah, is that actually a thing where people will trade their rare things for a oldass pokemon just because it'll proc the lucky trade?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I mean, that's a friend though. I'm talking about mostly people you meet online and grind friendship so you can do a trade.

Edit: I guess I have that issue because all of my friends are online or in different states because I moved out to my current area.

Yukari fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 26, 2018

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

I wouldn't expect internet randos to do anything that didn't benefit them, no, but you never know. People are surprisingly nice and place value on weird things.

That's fair enough. I figure if it's something with SOME use, it'd might generate some desire. Actually, my chansey is a old pokemon so maybe someone will want that. Otherwise, I'll probably just save my lucky trades for family.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

What are the chances for a shiny caterpie in the coming up month? Is it the same rate as always, or is it elevated? I'm wondering since I have 2 evolve 10 water pokemon quests, and I'm curious if it's a higher rate for a shiny dratini or the usual 1/512(?) rate?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Nice, congrats. I wonder if I should save my research breakthrough for sheddy or just pop it for Suicune?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

I wouldn't expect internet randos to do anything that didn't benefit them, no, but you never know. People are surprisingly nice and place value on weird things.

So, I just went to a meet and greet and wind down after the childrens fair event at a triple lure spot in AZ, and people were trading shinies with eachother. Two people traded me a frenzy plant Venusaur and a Shadow Ball Mewtwo for a Golduck and a Hitmonchan because they both collected lucky trades, and I had guaranteed lucky trades. I even asked if it was okay for them to do that and by their words "I honestly don't care about things like which moves it has. I just want to collect and complete my pokedex."

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Pomplamoose posted:

I think mostly it works best as a blissey buster. It's not as high dps as machamp but you won't need as many potions since it resists all her attacks.

It will also be useful in gen 5 for terrakion and kyurem but that's only a slightly less long time away than xerneas.

It's great against gyms because a lot of people will put a fairy type between normal types to trip up people who use machamps, and meteor mash metagross doesn't give a gently caress about blissey and then runs over their fairy anyways.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/take-on-gengar-in-a-special-raid-challenge/

If you believe this, then you should get it from evolution?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

drat. I was under the impression that evolved ones would only get Lick, not Psychic. I don't have enough Charged TMs for this poo poo. :cripes:

Honestly, you'll probably end up only needing a few gengars, so if you go raiding for them, you should get more charged TMs from the raids themselves and then can pick which gengars to keep.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is Suicune a good attacker for certain typings to be worth powering up with the double candy anyway?

To be totally honest, probably not. Like, it's less CP than freaking Vaporeon which has been out forever and has easily gotten candy.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

How often do they change the contents of the boxes on the store? I'm looking for one that has star pieces, super incubators, raid passes, and preferably incense since I'm training for a half-marathon.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I'm 7/10 on Giratina catches, most of the latter ones ending with only like 8-10 balls because huge group of powergamers. Are you using the circle lock trick with low radius greats/excellents? Even with that, he really is a motherfucker to catch because 2% base catch rate is awful.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

I would like to know more

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/7378d1/locking_target_trick_the_visual_manual/

This explains it better than I could. But the general principle is that you hold down the pokeball until it reaches the size you want to throw it at, then let go. When the pokemon attacks you, you rev up a curveball and throw it and after it's finished with the attack animation, the ball should hit the pokemon and the circle should be at the place where you let it go at in the beginning. IE you just need to aim for the same spot and the circle will be shrunk to the correct size.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I mean, I get to the raid, there's a group there and regardless of group size, we just go in. I wish I could have color split but it doesn't really work out that way, and I only started again like 3 weeks ago so I don't have any people who are high on friends lists to get balls from that. You kinda just make do with what you got, and if that means throwing all of 8-10 balls at giratina, then that's what you get.

The only complaint I've had so far about raiding is how they seemed to have nerfed the rate you get rare candies at them and that raid passes can get burned so fast if you go chain raiding.

Edit: Though, something really annoying happened at the Deoxys EX raid that I went to. There was a group of about 20 people total. I asked if we could split into two groups and the second group goes in 7 minutes later, because I gifted my pass to my brother's account and I don't actually have two separate devices that can run pogo at the same time. Literally everyone wanted to just pile in when the raid started and there was nobody else who had the EX pass after the first raid.

Yukari fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 30, 2018

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

Extra luck for me tonight! Caught a shiny witch hat Pikachu, and my latest 10k egg hatched a Riolu! :hellyeah:

Woo! Shiny hat pikachu buddies! I just caught one of those yesterday.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I turned the vibration off because I heard it absolutely wrecks the battery life of it.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Pomplamoose posted:

If this means more rare candy and TMs I’m all for it. I’ve been drowning in potions and revived since gifts were added. Kinda sucks about the golden razz but if this means people have less to berry gyms with that’s a net positive. That’s such a stupid mechanic.

From what I've read, all they did was just reduce the bundle size for T1-3 potions, and for GRB across the board. So it's only that you just get less of them when you would have gotten them, ie it sucks unless if you think they're crunching on GRBs to crack down on spamming them in gyms.... which could have been solved by just fixing what GRBs do to gym pokemon motivations instead.

It sucks for me because I want to use the GRBs to just catch the legendaries that I'm raiding for.

Edit: I do wish that raid rewards don't get shot down when you have tons of people there, but that's just kinda how the ball system works, isn't it?

Yukari fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 31, 2018

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Wheany posted:

Gotcha ranger has an enormous battery

Yeah, I saw. I was talking about the anal pill one. Then again, I've only had it for like a week or so.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Louisgod posted:

I'm level 40 so I don't really care, but Mithalas, KarpMcPoyle, PoppingFresh22, you're coming up on Best Friend status in the next few days. I'm going to send you all gifts the next few days instead of me opening yours so you can time your lucky eggs for when you want.

TankSinatra1, you're coming up on Ultra Friend tomorrow, feel free to open the gift I sent you whenever's convenient for you so you can get 2x experience.

Can you send NekoSukimin a gift? I'm one off of great friends with you and could time it with a few other people.

I opened my research breakthrough at 1:10 and it was fixed by then. In exchange, I clicked on a random Eevee and got a shiny one.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Does it just track steps while your phone is on you or do you need a fitbit or some sort of device like that?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Honestly, I typed in Arizona Pokemon GO Facebook and it had a link to the AZ Pokemon Go discord, and it's active. Probably include where you are in florida since I'd imagine your area would be flooded with players.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I'd highly recommend the fb chats too, I was in one for tempe/mesa for a long time and it was the best raid resource for me at least

I'll keep that in mind, but my current usage of facebook is basically never using it ever. I think the FB chat has a bot that posts the posts in the FB chat to discord and vice versa anyways.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Has anyone had trouble with the circle trick? It wasn't working for me yesterday. That is, it was definitely changing size when I spun up during the attack animation.

I didn't have any trouble with it this morning on a machamp. Maybe you let go during its attack animation when you initially locked it?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

27 Gengar raids, caught 23 of them, 6 shiny gengars, 3 shiny pinsirs.

IVs were 93 highest, 89% highest shiny.

Today was a pretty good day.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

We could hope that the next community day after Cyndaquil will be Bagons, but good luck with that. Also it means everyone's going to have mences with their community day move (probably dragon claw) clogging up gyms afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

According to Bulbapedia two Wobs could only have an infinite standoff with each other until G3, because from G4 onwards any Pokemon with Shadow Tag would be unaffected by another Pokemon's Shadow Tag. Meaning you can't Shadow Tag a Wob (unless that Wob has the not nearly as cheesy hidden ability of Telepathy). In G4 Wob was definitely still banned from competitive play with Smogon rules so "INFINITE WOB ON WOB" definitely wasn't the only reason it was banned.

The other reason if I remember correctly is because G4 was slow enough where you could get away with swapping wob into something and if you encored a non-attacking move, it was a free switch into a setup sweeper and the setup sweepers in that gen were pretty deadly.