Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

There are some errors in the OP.

At least one candy for trading. 2 candy if the Pokémons you’re trading came from 10 km apart. 3 candy if they came from 100 km apart. Always catch mons on vacation!

You're mixing up trading with transferring, which is what the OP is referring to there (using the wrong word, but trading didn't exist back when it was written)

Heck the charge moves aren't blue bars anymore, they're colour coded to the attack type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Dr Tran posted:

I maxed out six Gyarados for a tourney I participated in only for Gyarados to be replaced by Kyogre like a month later.

Going back to this but what?

What the gently caress is a Pokemon Go Tournament? Do you show off your best mons like it's a cat show?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

lmao at the thicc bunny pokemon. I guess it was a matter of time before furry pokemon became a thing.

*rushes back into the thread, breathless*

don't want none unless you've got buns hun!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
When you and your boy's style are on point

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Halloween event coincided with me visiting San Fran for a conference, so I've already burned 108 berries and hitting 8 new stops will be pretty simple during my lunch break!

The game in SF is as nuts as you think it would be too. Just show up to any 5 star raid at any time and it'll fill with what I assume are bots and maybe 1 or 2 real people.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Is Giratina actually good for anything or is it just an entry in the dex?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

bowmore posted:

idk, i like that sweet dex entry though

I mean it looks like something straight out of Revelations, so it should be bad rear end?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I have a google Pixel, is there something I need to enable on the OS for this to work? I don't normally track my steps, and I was unaware if it's doing it in the background or not.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I encountered a cluster of alohan exeggutors at Pier 39 in San Fran the other week, so I don't know if that counts as a nest or what the deal was, beyond "SF is literally the best place in the world to play this game"

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Beachcomber posted:

Also, make absolutely sure you have GPS when you do the evolving or the same thing will happen.

Yeah my habit of evolving while riding in the underground metro kicked me in the rear end on that detail. It makes no sense as to why that's the case either, the 10km was already earned!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

mastershakeman posted:

It's weird that the new system incentives not playing

I went on a long walk with a friend the other day, and being able to get kms without being an anti-social dork playing on my phone was quite a nice bonus

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Wheany posted:

You can have the phone in our pocket if you're just incubating eggs. And if you have a gotcha, that takes care of catching mons and spininng stops.

Where it would proceed to get extremely warm, and also I'm incapable of ignoring constant vibrating alerts. Plus battery death.

I like that I can now hang out with friends and still get rewards from the game.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I love it when a theme gym comes together

It was just Muk and Grimer when I added my Arbok

Then some other randoms added the Nidoking, Gengar, and Venomeon to complete the poison theme

Edit: Awww man Norman Bethune was a cool doctor who died of blood poisoning. I feel a little bad now.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 10, 2018

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Yeah the mon was boring, which is probably why they paired it with the stardust event. With a star piece, 600 (or 750 weather boosted) per catch was nuts, but welcome. It wasn't pleasant out, and I needed to pee, so every time one of those bastards broke out of the ball I thought terrible, angry thoughts.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

rotinaj posted:

If I want to make goon PGo friends, I should click that google spreadsheet link and just write my info at the end? Do I need to apply or anything?

Yes, send me a list of your top mons by dps, you must be at least level 35 to qualify. We also need a full list of all gyms you have gold status at, minimum 10. Plus your entire gym map. Any outside your local area must come with an explanation.

Also send me $20

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

mastershakeman posted:

Re Walmart, there's definitely something in Pokemon go where spawns occur where there's a lot of signals from players. Parking lots, rest stops, and even major intersections will have a ton of spawns, presumably from people's games updating to 0 mph after going to fast to load anything

Yeah I assume they use some kind of player heat map to decide where is going to have lots of spawns, which is also going to result in a reinforcement loop.

Early in the game there was a residential street I had to walk down to get to work, which was a dead zone in the game. Then they made an announcement about changing spawn frequency in certain areas, and suddenly there was activity there. I imagine my walking back and forth on that specific street had some kind of impact on their heat map.

Plus: anywhere that ingress nerds would cluster.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Is this actually affecting combat performance, or is it just changing the CP display which was arbitrary anyway?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Wheany posted:

Is there a reason Calcy IV just forgets pokemon? I have had all my top mons "saved" with the little floppy disk icon in the stats popup, but now I see that they're not saved anymore.

Did you update Calcy IV recently so it has the new CP calculations? either something went wrong during that conversion process, or the data got cleared on it and it's forgotten everything.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

OgreNoah posted:

Seems like it would have difficulty remembering pokemon that got adjusted, so it may have wiped what saved stuff it had?

Nah all mine carried over just fine, the new CP formula was known, so it should have been able to anticipate what the new mons would look like. Looks like Wheany just got screwed somehow (assuming his app updated at all)

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Ziddar posted:

Looks like a special Community Day coming is a weekend long combination of all previous days.

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1065354141990572034?s=19

Pomplamoose posted:

BRING IT IN GUYS!!!!

*every Pokémon from every community day come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Meanwhile:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Any word on if they upped the spawn rates on dittos? I caught 3 today already.

They also seem to have promoted a bunch of gyms to ex-raid gyms. In my area, two that were demoted a couple months ago are suddenly ex eligible again, and a newly created gym (after one was removed from an elementary school) has been promoted today also. Check your local gyms!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I had a friend visiting from out of town for the weekend, so I was only able to play sporadically. Didn't find any shinys, but I already had the whole set anyway. This was just a good chance to up my candy count and finally get my gold dragon medal! I didn't even catch anything worth evolving, but I was able to evolve some previously caught good-uns into good moves.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

seiferguy posted:

That's just someone being anal about "their gym" being taken over.

Or some 7 year old kid playing pogo from their bedroom, they won't exactly be able to properly apply game theory here.

dwarf74 posted:

The best gym etiquette is to never kick anyone out of a gym at any time or for any reason, because they are probably going for a gold gym badge, and that would be just mean.

Or maybe it's to always kick everyone out of a gym because they might already have a gold badge and just need today's coins.

I am sure one of these two is the right and correct way to play this mobile phone game featuring pocket monsters.

I thought you only got 'gym points' from putting a mon into the gym, for 100 points? And that time served had no impact? Ideally you'd be kicked out and jump back in many times for max points?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

seiferguy posted:

You get something like 1100 points per 24 hours that you're in a gym.

For reference, doing a raid gives you 1000.

Huh! I never once saw any popup that indicates that happening.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
They were absolute bastards to catch though, especially if you had a harsh winter that made even attending raids difficult.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

HookShot posted:

If you're far enough south, then Carnavine, Heracross and Corsola.

If you're not at the rear end end of America, the yeah, there's really nothing else.

Where do you think Sweden is?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
How big is the bonus difference between silver pinaps and golden berries?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Yeah nah not today

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

I_Socom posted:

Fair enough then - I just wanted to check as we had someone in our local Whatsapp group try the task 5 times and keep getting it wrong :v:

Afraid I don't know if you can just use the name trick. Reddit reckons it has to be at night though: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/999vlj/umbreonespeon_quest_question/

You can only ever use the name trick once per name. So yes, he has to walk another 10km with another Eevee. Also make sure you have a GPS signal when you do the evolution, and not do it when you're in the subway like I did...

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Beachcomber posted:

What's the deal with weather boosted raids? Higher Cp?

Also, is anyone else having issues with using calcyIV on Kirlia? It doesn't read at all, but also only let's me adjust the level between 9.5 and 10.5 when it is definitely higher.

They're level 25 instead of being level 20.

My calcy was flaky today too, but if you error 3 times in a row it offers to recalibrate, and that fixed it for me. Something must have moved a couple pixels in the update.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Speaking of RNG, maybe, are stops only handing out Trade Ten Pokemon for research tasks? I've gotten it 6 times in a row now, and I don't play this loving game to be social. :colbert:

I've gotten that one a couple times from consecutive pokestops, it's really annoying. Especially because it's a lot of hassle for just a Chimchar.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
They read your posts and they're salty about them

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I thought I was going to miss Bagon day because I'm flying that day too. But turns out I land just after 3pm in Vancouver, so that layover should give me enough time to catch something, airports are always packed full of spawns!

Otherwise I'd have been considering how viable an incense when flying on in-flight wifi would be...

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

systemchronos posted:

I'll quote my own post from a page back.

Check your journal for actual number of items you got

This combined with the app no longer closing properly for me makes the latest update pretty buggy. Ironically the update reason given was "Bug Fixes" so in short:

Beachcomber posted:

Niantic is bullshit

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Are any of the new mons worth a drat?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

slave to my cravings posted:

So they released shiny onix but they didn’t seem to boost its spawn rate at all

It's a 3-star raid boss

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

kidfresca posted:

You all might want to check that your adventure sync is still on. My app updated (Android) at 5 am, and despite preserving all of my other settings, the update turned off adventure sync and only adventure sync... during the one week it matters most. Lost my morning walk, I guess.

loving hell turns out mine was off too, :wtc:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Every single drat task is "hatch 2 eggs to get the pokemon that's spawning constantly around you!"

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Vegastar posted:

So it turns out that Tropius is pretty goddamned insane in the current Silph pvp cup. Anybody around here have access to wild spawns?

I've got a trade burner account with a bunch of goodies and like 600k dust I'd be open to handing over the credentials and letting you loot whatever in exchange for catching a few <1500 cp on it that I can trade over to my main.

Or, ya know, just somebody that's spoofing and willing to grab a couple-few and trade em with me. Either or works.

Feel free to PM me if you're not up for posting about it in public. I just want a bananaplane or three.

Edit: also this is why pvp is loving stupid. Why not make a regional one of the best in meta? I'll just drop what I'm doing and hop a flight to Africa to catch a few.

Double edit: oh, Silph banned it, which seems sensible. I still want a bananaplane.

Spoofing for your own private collection is one thing, it doesn't affect anybody else.

Spoofing to get an edge in a PVP competition against other players? You're the rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Vegastar posted:

Niantic is too head up rear end in a top hat stupid to understand their own systems, and basically encourage multiaccounting and spoofing with every mechanic they add, and if you're actually competing at pvp it's basically a requirement. Otherwise the time you spend to build a team will be utterly wasted by the 8 other people that don't have any qualms with getting those species by any means necessary.

"I cheat because I assume everyone else is a cheater like me" is the justification every cheater uses.