Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

There are generally two types of story behind a nickname.

The bad kind is:
:geno: "People call me Diesel, because I insisted on it."

The good kind is:
:cool: "People call me Diesel, because I got so drunk that I accidentally drank diesel fuel, and violently puked everywhere."

Tell your favourite nickname stories here!

A few to get the ball rolling:

A former co-worker of mine was driving in to work one day. He was so busy gawking at an attractive lady on the sidewalk, that he didn't see the stopped Police car in his lane. He plowed into the back of the cop car, and smacked his forehead off the steering wheel. He ended up getting some lovely charges, and was late to work on top of it. When he got in, he had a nice red welt on his forehead from the collision. After explaining what had happened, he was forever known as Steering Wheel.

-

An old pal of mine worked as a bouncer for many years, and one of the other bouncers that he'd frequently work with was known as Frankie Dumptruck. It wasn't because he used to drive one, or crashed into one, it was because he was approximately the size of one.

-

Another former co-worker had the unfortunate habit of losing his poo poo at the smallest things. Any time he would forget where he put something, he'd freak out and accuse others of hiding things, and tormenting him. He quickly got stuck with the name Marbles, because he was always losing them.

-

Share the reason you or somebody you know got stuck with a nickname!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha3IV0bU_Yk

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I had some friends over and we were getting drunk. I kept making fun of one friend in particular until he finally turned to me and said "Dude, you're a fat dick".

I've been "Fat Dick" ever since.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I knew a guy who worked in retail management who decided to give himself the nickname "Ace". Like, he couldn't even come up with a cool one. Fuckin' dork.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I had a distant relative named Herb who went by "Ted" with about half the family.

Before he was born, his mother and father had decided on the name Ted. When his mother went into labor, his father went out drinking through the entirety of labor through the birth itself. His mom was pissed so she named him Herb, after her first boyfriend, while her husband was still out drinking.

So he grew up being called both names depending on who he was talking to.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
There was a guy who thought he should have a nickname, and said so. He thought it would be cool. I told him that that was a dangerous thing ti wish for, because you could end up with something you didn't like, like "Stinky".

He was called Stinky for about 3 months, but it didn't stick after that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have one shed. I briefly considered getting another one, and mentioned it to some friends, and now they call me Two Sheds.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just started calling a friend "The Bulldog." No real reason for it. Everyone started calling him John "The Bulldog" Johnson*. *Not his real name.

In highschool, friend started calling another friend Gobi, because he vaguely looked like the Breath of Fire character Gobi. It's not a flattering comparison. Either way he totally owned that one and used Gobi as a handle for years. A lot of us didn't even know his real name for quite a while.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I have one shed. I briefly considered getting another one, and mentioned it to some friends, and now they call me Two Sheds.

I appreciate this reference.

In high school, I would go through hair changes on a regular basis. The first time I ever did both hair and color, I chopped it all down to about an inch long and bleached it platinum blonde. I got called 'Billy Idol' for a while after that.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
My sisters gave me the nickname Weezer when I was born in 1980. No one remembers where it came from, but that is what they have called me my whole life. My nieces and nephews even call me Uncle Weezer. And to be honest, it became a little less special when the Blue album released when I was 14. Like it wasn't just mine anymore.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
people call me cunthead because im a oval office and I have a head

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Caleb's drunk, and 17, and just fallen in with some of the punk-rockers I hung out with. Though he's too young to have anything to do with them. But he filled the niche of jester, by trying as hard as he could to do the stupidest things possible. A walking, talking bad idea.

To impress them Caleb proceeds to butt bong some wine. Bad idea. His next idea after making GBS threads out spacebag white Zin, is to get a tattoo. Bad idea. Aaron's needle gun is out, so we go to another person's house. This guy, I don't remember his name, is a heroin addict. We tell him we'll give him $20 to give Caleb whatever tattoo he wanted. The artist is nodding off. Caleb says, "Mother." The junkie with the tat gun spells "Mota." Caleb is like "What the gently caress dude? Fine, make it say Motor." The junkie goes back in to fix the tattoo. The tattoo reads, "MOTATOR."

From that moment on he was Motator.

He's got his life together, plays lame positive hardcore music... He still sucks. And he's still Motator.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Grew up with a kid practically everybody called Yoshi cause he could do a perfect replication of literally any Yoshi sound effect.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I watched a show about Marine aviators on an aircraft carrier a while back, and they were talking about their callsigns. One of them had the callsign “Fungus”. When pressed for details on how he got it, it was revealed that Fungus was in fact an acronym: “gently caress U New Guy U Suck”.

That’s gone down as the best nickname/callsign I’ve ever heard.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When I was in sixth grade one poor bastard got the nickname "Squirt".

Not because he was short, or really liked the soda, nope.

During recess he walks out of a bathroom stall, hard on in hand and asks the other guys if that was big enough to jack off with.

That name stuck with him until halfway through junior high when puberty finally leveled the playing field for every dude in school.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Silvergun1000 posted:

I watched a show about Marine aviators on an aircraft carrier a while back, and they were talking about their callsigns. One of them had the callsign “Fungus”. When pressed for details on how he got it, it was revealed that Fungus was in fact an acronym: “gently caress U New Guy U Suck”.

The best one of those I've heard is Zeus for "Zero Effort Unless Supervised".

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYgKmOJT_gM

I knew a boy in high school who was a pretty normal, average, run-of-the-mill guy. He had good looks, was confident, and didn't overly draw attention to himself or step on any toes. He wore a tie-dye shirt to gym class one loving time and for the next 4 YEARS he was "Hippie Kid". poo poo's brutal.

I have a friend named Tyler. One night in college he got a little too drunk and fell asleep sitting at a picnic table in the backyard. Me and another guy went out to check on him when it got dark and when we opened the door, we scared away a raccoon that had been nonchalantly chewing on his shoes.

After realizing what had just occurred and making sure Tyler was okay, we took him inside and from then on, he was christened "Tycoon". He's been going by that name for almost ten years now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I have a friend called 'Two Sheds' in reference to that sketch.

Bizarrely, he bought a house which did indeed have two sheds in it, but the nickname predated that.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Suge Knight/Master P/Biggy/Combs/whoever told me to use this name.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Silvergun1000 posted:

I don't know if it's an actual thing in the police or military, but the copilot in Blue Thunder was nicknamed Jafo, for "Just Another loving Observer." This was cleaned up to "Just Another Frustrated Observer" for the TV show. Which was poo poo.

Stephen Fry's story about an acquaintance known as Heinz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4lGI-abFo

Finally, my sister is, to this day, known as Peabo after the little green alien from Toejam and Earl Panic on Funkotron. We all loved that game as kids, and my sister at the time usually wore bermuda shorts similar to the character's. My niece and nephew both refer to her as "Auntie Peab."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I used to have a coworker named "Jaws." I never learned his real name. He'd been Jaws for years before I started working that job, he was Jaws when I left for a better opportunity six years ago, and he's certainly still Jaws now.

Jaws had no teeth.

PoptartsNinja has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Oct 22, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I had a colleague called 'Paracetamol Bob' (I guess in America, he'd have been 'Tylenol Bob')

When I asked around, I was told that it was because 'he's small, white and toxic in large quantities'

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who everyone calls Johnny Six-Fingers because his name is Johnny and he has six fingers on his left hand. I just like that I know someone who earned a mafia style name because of his freaky weird finger

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I know a girl named Jessica, but everyone calls her “Fake Jessica”. She always brought her kid along to parties. One time we were all drunk and talking about how we got our names. She started out with “I’m named Jessica because....” when her kid interrupted.
“You’re not named Jessica, your name is Mommy!”
“No, I know you call me Mommy, but my name is Jessica”
“Not for real,” he retorted.
We had two girls named Jess in our group, so she immediately became Fake Jessica. The other one is Real Jessica.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I have a friend who has gone (unwillingly) by RJJ for over twenty years. Pretty early on in the IRC days, RJJ had managed to sniff out just about every XXX pic-trading/sex-chat channel on every IRC network. One day, he’d left his IRC client open on his computer, which was in a nook in his kitchen. Someone started snooping. RJJ had forty-something private chat windows open, all with him talking gently caress to different women (?), all from that day. In every single one of them, he had managed to work in the phrase “ropy jets of jism.” RJJ he has been, ever since, and I’m pretty sure we’re going to have that chiseled into his tombstone.

Veni Vidi Ameche! has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Nov 26, 2018

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
i knew a guy who fisted himself in high school and the video went around. his name was vlad ergo vlad the impaler

im not going to give any more details because i think everybody has the chance to learn and grow from their past, but every so often i remember that fact and smile

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Back in high school, I had lots of different nicknames bestowed upon me by others. Mr bigdick. Mr fatcock and so on and so forth.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Back in high school, I had lots of different nicknames bestowed upon me by others. Mr bigdick. Mr fatcock and so on and so forth.

Sure they weren't saying 'that guy is a big dick' or 'he's fat and a cock'?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

spog posted:

Sure they weren't saying 'that guy is a big dick' or 'he's fat and a cock'?

I’m not even going to dignify this with a response.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

They were most certainly NOT saying those things

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

More like oldmodestyless.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A friend of my brother's was called "Vitja" (chain, more specifically usually a watch chain) because he had really long balls. Like they were out at a biker gathering and a few of the guys were outside the tent having a smoke and then one of them noticed "what the gently caress is that?" and it was "Vitja's" balls coming out from under the side of the tent even though he was sleeping inside.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I knew a bloke in school called "Frog". Because when he was a baby he apparently looked funny and his older brother remarked "He looks like a frog."

His name was Alex, but he would introduce himself to people as Frog.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
One aspiring rapper/pimp I went to high school with called me "Slim," presumably because I was 5'7" and 125lb in logger boots. Sadly, it never caught on among our friends, and now I'm old and fat.

My ex's Hispanic friends called her "Jefe" because she went by "Jeffie" because her toddler sister with a speech impediment couldn't pronounce "Jennifer." :3:

My father's callsign as a Green Beret radioman in Vietnam was "Bilbo Baggins," because his name is Bill. He looks and smokes and has a first name pretty much exactly the same as Bill in Left 4 Dead. Part of the reason I petitioned a mod to get the admins to change my username here (to pay up for me winning the popular vote in a pun-based Abe mod challenge) years after the fact.

Lil' Nephew always calls my and his dad's mom "my mawmaw," even when relaying things to me from from his mawmaw/my mom. Always with the definite article :3:
"[Chillbro], my mawmaw wants you to do [whatever]."
"She's my mommy, y'know."
"Oh."

My half-sister calls my mom "my mom." She and most of her kin call her biological mother/Dad's first wife "Crazy Mary." (her birth mom's name is Mary and she's a fuckin' nutjob.)(also, if you have Oregon Trail II, my lil' sis -- she's twelve years older than me, but calls me "big brother" because I'm taller -- may have been the model for the cover art, it's really weird how it looks exactly like my sister at the time.)

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Jan 11, 2019

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
I poo poo my pants in high school once and my friends called me Peter Pantload for a while.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Millow posted:

I poo poo my pants in high school once and my friends called me Peter Pantload for a while.

what did they call you when you did it in college though

( :) )

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Our church youth group had a tendency to give out nicknames to everyone. One guy really emphatically wanted to be called Duke, and insisted that became his nickname.

Someone else responded “Okay, Dookie Face.”

Never ask for a nickname. It will always end badly.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My coworkers at a bakery called me College because I was the only one who went to college

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I appreciate this reference.

In high school, I would go through hair changes on a regular basis. The first time I ever did both hair and color, I chopped it all down to about an inch long and bleached it platinum blonde. I got called 'Billy Idol' for a while after that.

I got called Q-tip for the same thing, as I am nowhere near as handsome as Billy Idol. It was not a term of endearment.

My ma called me "Case" because of the way my family says my name wrong. Said correctly, there is no "Case" in it. Good job, southern accents.

I didn't actually have many nicknames, growing up with a distinct real name. Some folks tried to get "Kacey" to stick because they were dumbasses and my name was just too hard for them (it has three syllables, so tough). I always said gently caress you to that, though. I'd rather someone butcher it and call me "Case" than cally me "Kacey". I do appreciate the people that try, though.

I sometimes call my partner "Melon" sometimes because I think it sounds cute. Sometimes they call me "Stinky", as I am lactose intolerant and sometimes give into the urge for ice cream or feta cheese to disastrous effect. Consequences be damned, sometimes I want dairy!

E: I also knew a guy named Bill that everyone called "Beer" for some reason, and I never get the rest of that story. He didn't even drink much beer. He did, however keep the makings of peanut butter and jelly on the back of his toilet. Y'know, in case you get the muchies.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I work in construction so there’s a lot of nicknames. Not all of them have grey stories. One guy was “Ogre” cuz he was big and then eventually that became “Shrek”. There was a guy called Hazard for awhile but Idk why.

We had two Tonys for awhile, one white and one black, so they became salt and pepper.

One of my coworkers was really bad about taking up bench space. His tools and projects would fill up one bench, and then he’d move to the next because there was too much clutter. Some of the guys started calling him Kudzu, which was pretty good.

I was called Crash on and off for a bit because I am a bad driver.