Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I felt like Petra was pretty disappointing after Egypt. The temples in Egypt are in good condition while Petra has been worn down due to it being sandstone. This isn't to say don't go to Petra, but I would go to Jordan for Mt. Nebo, Dead Sea and Wadi Rum in addition to Petra. We did all that in five days, counting flying in one afternoon and leaving in the morning.

I'd check out Marsa Alam for diving. The house reef at Marsa Shagra Village is pretty good and there's a cool reef with a ridiculous amount of dolphins nearby. I've also dove in Sharm and thought the house reefs were better at Marsa, but that the day trips were better at Sharm. One thing to note is that if you fly, I think you have to transit Cairo from Luxor for all three I believe.

asur fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

HookShot posted:

Thanks for this! I've been rethinking the diving part of it. We're not PADI qualified, but I found a place in Sharm that lets you do the classroom stuff at home ahead of time and just do three days for certification, of which two days is open water dives, and I was considering doing that. Any thoughts? We've done intro dives three different times, of which one was literally us and a couple that were open water certified and I'm pretty sure the operator just went "gently caress it" and did a regular open water dive with all of us because there was literally no difference between what my husband and I did and what the actually qualified divers did. I went down to 15 meters a few times and the guy did not care.

I was thinking of doing more day trips than house reefs, but looking up Marsa Alam looks interesting.

And yeah, transit through Cairo kind of sucks, but what can you do? That was another reason I was thinking maybe Sharm though, since it's less flying time overall than a resort further south.

I would highly recommend doing the classroom stuff at home, I assume online. I believe they'll optimize so you can do it at night if you're there, but it's still overhead you can get out of the way earlier. You can also do the pool dives at home and then just do OW there, which sounds like it would save a day but that usually ends up being more expensive since you pay a local diveshop as well. I would recommend that as well if you have time and the money isn't a big deal as generally instruction quality is higher in the US and isn't rushed as it's normally two days in the pool.

If you want a recommendation, about four years ago I did AOW and dove for a week with Red Sea Diving College.

If you want to do day trips I highly recommend Sharm, but as an option you can in theory drive from Luxor to either Marsa Alam or Hurghada or Aswan to Marsa Alam. We didn't do this and I'm not definitively reccomending it as I don't know if Google Maps times are accurate and how safe it is. We did drive Aswan to Abu Simbel and south of Marsa Alam with no issues for reference.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you are trying to cross the Jordan Isreali border make sure you do your research. I don't believe Jordan issues visas at the King Hussein crossing and I found conflicting information on the Yitzhak Rabin terminal.