Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

did the beef go into the garbage disposal?

they ate it

anyway, chuck is good. shank is the best tbh, it's a good meat to put in a stew. also the connective stuff is good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
ARBYS WE HAVE THE MEATS

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

red sampson posted:

ARBYS WE HAVE THE MEATS

im entirely convinced all arbys executives look like the primary antagonists of the videogame oddworld: abe's oddysee

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

WHY NOT

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
We had steak all the time growing up

Steak and corn

I asked my dad a few weeks ago what his favorite steak was as a kid

He was from a family of nine and he said "I never had steak when I was a kid. Fried chicken was what we looked forward to. That was a feast to us."

They had one of those steel milk dispensers like you see in diners in their kitchen where you move that weight back a little and milk gushes out of the nipple thing that goes up into it in the bag.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Him and his brother used to go catch frogs so that his mom would make frog legs but she told them to stop getting frogs because she didn't like how the legs twitched in the pan when she was frying them

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
One time I was over at a friends house and they were having boiled hot dogs. I asked him why his family was always eating boiled hot dogs and he said NOT EVERYONE CAN BE RICH LIKE YOU. I wasn't rich, he was just dirt poor with a mom who refused to work and a dad who was a world class alky

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

gettin lamby in my house today. the slow cooker is far too small for the big ol' shank I put in there, but maybe it'll reduce down a bit as it cooks. I just went through the fridge and chopped up all the veg we had. so there's a leek, some celery, two parsnips, a courgette, and some baby corn in there, along with salt and pepper and a beef stock cube. i think it's gonna taste good :grin:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 18, 2018

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

it's cooking! house smells real good

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

when i grew up my parents would leave ground beef on the counter and you'd sorta take a handful of it raw when they weren't lookin because if that beef made it to the cooktop you sure as gently caress werent gettin any
new GBS title

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just get whatever is on sale, OP.

There's something deeply wrong with Pick's parents.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gently caress off moridin

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hell Yeah posted:

gently caress off moridin

you doing ok? You've been pretty surly in this meat thread my dude.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

it's cooking! house smells real good

Is that the worlds biggest lamb or baby corn

I did lamb shanks a while ago and they were like half the size of that one

I love to eat lambs

A cool way to do lambs is to sear the shanks and then simmer them in pomegranate juice, just buy one of those jumbo Pom things at Costco and dump it in there. Persians do that. You put some spices on there too like what you'd expect for the region (cumin, cinnamon, clove, garlic). Add a little chopped dried fruit at the end and people will think you know some secret but in reality all you know is to associate with the enemy at every opportunity

Also a ton of sumac on some lamb grilled is a delight, you can find it in the hippie store usually it's a red powder, tastes like a savory lemon, it's a huge spice in the middle east and often the missing flavor part from the lebbo place that you can't replicate at home for some reason

raton fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 18, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It's normal to tell Moridin to gently caress off it's a part of HEll YEah and mines traditional culture

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

i'm sorry i'm not understanding how telling moridin to gently caress off appears surly to you. if you read gbs you would know it's totally normal.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

sumac is an S-rank spice

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hell Yeah posted:

i'm sorry i'm not understanding how telling moridin to gently caress off appears surly to you. if you read gbs you would know it's totally normal.

It’s ok man just let it out, maybe one day you can start to heal.

Anyway because of this thread the wife and I are going to a great El Salvadorian restaurant and I’m getting some drat tongue tacos tonight I can’t wait.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

raton posted:

Is that the worlds biggest lamb or baby corn

I did lamb shanks a while ago and they were like half the size of that one

they are baby corn, but it was quite a big shank

here it is now, about ten hours later. the meat all fell off the bone so I took it out so I could get the lid of the dang pot on.

the lighting is horrible and it doesn't look very appetizing, but you'll just have to take my word for it that it is delicious as heck

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

they are baby corn, but it was quite a big shank

here it is now, about ten hours later. the meat all fell off the bone so I took it out so I could get the lid of the dang pot on.

the lighting is horrible and it doesn't look very appetizing, but you'll just have to take my word for it that it is delicious as heck

It's okay I'm not a rude piece of poo poo as is traditional about posting about the things you made on this forum

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

that looks rough but i hope that you enjoy it.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

also moridin920 alt account spotted.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
chuck is good. i put chuck and sirloin in my chili

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Extemely anime voice: it has already begun

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'll give the beef about 2 hrs with the leek, garlic, red wine, tomat, star anise, bay if I hadn't forgotten to get some bay

Later i will do some skimming, add carrot and mushroom, shortly after that yucca

Finish with the bacon whose grease I rendered for the browning, frozen peas and frozen corn, and more garlic as fresh garlic is very different from cooked

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

raton posted:

Extemely anime voice: it has already begun

Stew or soup?
If stew, why you no dredge beef cube

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

Stew or soup?
If stew, why you no dredge beef cube

I'm doing beef in two batches in a stainless steel pan, adding flour early is asking to burn the fond

Instead of that before (some people do it at the same time, probably doesn't matter) you add the onions you drain off some of the fat and dust flour directly into what you kept back to make a kind of roux

More reliable, better control

Also not all browning is the same. Maillard on beef is different than maillard on flour. I want to get the beef browned as much as possible, you can always cheat it up prn with flour later on (or just thicken with a starch slurry) you only get one shot at the beef

raton fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 18, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I also love broth and the yucca will thicken a lot so for this approach you don't want to go full stew from the start unless you're 100% sure of your amounts which I never am, which is part of why I hate most baking

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

nice

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Makes sense with the roux.
I've done it that way myself, actually. I was worried NO flour was going to be used

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

Makes sense with the roux.
I've done it that way myself, actually. I was worried NO flour was going to be used

I'll see how I feel later wrt thickness

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

you could always make roux at the beginning using slightly more flour than you think you will need, take it out, then add the roux back at the end of cooking until it's thick enough for you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm a thick stew man myself.
Guy earlier who said 'like thin gravy'?
Oh no.
Spoon should almost be able to stand up

Pimpy Longcockings
Oct 6, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Wow we have some betty crocker motherfuckers on SA these days

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pimpy Longcockings posted:

Wow we have some betty crocker motherfuckers on SA these days

Enjoy your ramen byitcchhh!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hell Yeah posted:

you could always make roux at the beginning using slightly more flour than you think you will need, take it out, then add the roux back at the end of cooking until it's thick enough for you.

That's true French people do those loving roux balls things they add in as they like too

My habit is to do some flour type stuff early (to respect the mighty wheat, King of all grains) and then adjust at the end with a slurry

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

I'm a thick stew man myself.
Guy earlier who said 'like thin gravy'?
Oh no.
Spoon should almost be able to stand up

It's kind of old fashioned so sometimes I abandon the thick to leave whatever sauce there is more like it is when it first was

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

serious eats ALWAYS suggests adding gelatin. i have gelatin but i've never been able to bring myself to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hell Yeah posted:

serious eats ALWAYS suggests adding gelatin. i have gelatin but i've never been able to bring myself to do it

Same result different product except the gelatin is more expensive and more of a hassle imo

• Locked thread