Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I've played Thing Mafia only once ever. It's interesting! I'll sign up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Bifauxnen posted:

this isn't a signup, I'm just wondering if I'm being a total idiot and missing something blatantly obvious with how the game works.

game essentially starts with two things

each night the town gets a kill, but each night there's also a new thing

even if town shot perfectly every time how do you ever kill all the things

Huh. Uh, you're right. The version I played killed the Thing on a positive result and it didn't end the day. Day only ended when town was tested. No night kill.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'd recruit gulag n0 if I were the Thing.

Which I am not.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

hambeet posted:

Actually it's not gonna matter because they'll just infect the person we blood test dueing the day that night, won't they?

Without fully knowing the set-up, no idea, but I think that's probably a conversation best left for D2.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

first to not vote someone that hasnt a;lready been voted is always scum, in this game. ##vote dick bastardly

Good dog.

##vote dick bastardly

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

This is a pretty chill game (because of all the snow).

Is it safe to toast marshmallows over a burning monster corpse? ##vote toalpaz

Tho gently caress if I can figure out a good testing strategy. Should we re-test DB? How likely is it the monsters would try to recruit a cleared dude?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I see no reason not to test redneck.

##vote redneck nazgul

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

Yeah I don't see last or second last game playing it like this friends.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

since there's no OOT communication, meta kinda goes out the window

like, my go-to strategy as scum/third party is "kill productive town players first" because then you can control the discourse. this works better if you can coordinate with the rest of the scumbos to actually control it via fake opposition and bickering. here, the coordination element is out the window, so i'd probably want to establish a few people who can lay low and not attract suspicion until the game is a bit more in reach.

if anything in this game, i'd go scumhunting by looking at who wants to railroad a test.

infected people know who's going to come up as town, it's easier to parlay the railroad into "oh, he was acting suspicious so i wanted to make sure" because there's no death associated with it, and it provides the opportunity to infect the person just to throw the town off later.

looking back through post histories, i'm pretty confident about this vote based on jumping into bandwagons with little explanation:

##vote Rhjamiz

i can't see votefinder at work, so if i'm already hammered, welp.

You're at -2.

I'm just chilling right now and I don't really see a need to justify my vote, all told. This game feels rather different so I don't particularly feel the usual scum-hunting axioms apply. Test if you'd like. :shrug:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

of course you don't feel a need to justify your vote, it's a single vote from a dude at -2

I meant more like in general, not to you specifically.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm down with random voting, it's the only real strategy we've got right now.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

hambeet posted:

why equivocate? i'm not going to die by you voting me. it's not like you might kill a town power role.

Right? I don't understand the desire to scumhunt in this game like it was any other mafia game. I don't think scumslips or scum tells can happen in this format.

##vote Keane

I assume things are happening behind the scenes otherwise our chances are ... real bad.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

hambeet posted:

Well the infected can't talk according to the OP. So all they can do is see what the other infected are doing in thread and follow suit, or try to take the lead themselves by playing a particular way.

I suppose? Stakes feel rather low, I guess is what I'm saying. No pressure to perform and thus slip or tip their hand.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

to what end?

how can i be sure this isn't some coordinated ploy to subvert the good strategy of "RNG it"?

i don't think i like what's going on here, to be quite honest

nothing that's happened in the game thus far substantiates voting keane over an RNG vote

granted, someone's going to take this as "omg must protect keane", but that's not it at all

hell, keane and i go way back. i'd eat a bug for him

unless he's scum, then i'd kill him, because i'm town and that's what townspeople do. or if we're both scum and i have to bus him.

not that i've played recently and had an opportunity to bus anyone anywhere

that's kind of irrelevant, i apologize

everybody just needs to calm down and go back to the RNG strategy

really. if we all just RNG the vote and agree on it, we'll stand a better chance. if we don't, we're hosed.

My current reservation; you've just told us "Oh I used google and it told me six." without us being able to verify that this is, in fact, random and not just monsterish misdirection.

Is linking to Orokos allowed in these things? That's the first thing that comes to mind for me.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

CCKeane posted:

So, to be clear, I have people voting me after I started asking hambeet questions as to why he is assuming an RNG?

And we had three people voting me in rapid succession?

And we're expecting there to be three infected?

##vote hambeet

Seems pretty straightforward to me, here.

As far as I see, he's speaking statistically, not assuming RNG. We have no idea if there are any restrictions on infected recruitment choice. The OP clearly states the infected choose, so this line of attack looks nonsensical.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Okay, so why assume as statistical model that has random chance instead of assuming someone is attempting to select based on playstyle?

Like pushing toward RNG as a means of thing selection out of nowhere is really bizarre and seems to what to shut down meaningful discussion of choices.
Because we can't predict that play style or be certain of their choices, obviously?

If we could we'd be having an extremely different conversation.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

##vote Keane

Still want him tested after popping up day 3.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So the gun can't miss tonight or we lose, so far as I can tell. Exciting times.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ok actually, uh.... This is good?

Here's my plan:

Since the Thing's can't kill (so far as I know), we hold on the Night Vig unless we get a positive Infected result during the day. No random shots. We can't risk a miss right now. There are either three or four things left, and a fuckup will lose us the game if there are four. We systematically check everyone.

It's possible there is another surprise waiting for us but if everything holds true, we can't lose now. Which is weird but... ok.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

taht would work...in another universe, where they didn't now just have a nightkill.

How do you know they have a nightkill?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

i agree with your plan and now rule you out as infected most probably

I am actually worried they do have a nightkill now, which would make sense in a normal game but everything is obfuscated here so I can't be sure. I also believe that the Gun can't have been an infection target so as far as I can tell, you're the only confirmed town right now.

Here's where I run into problems; gulag may be right. I think we test him; if he's infected, then we assume the NK is real (and we'll find out I guess after we shoot him if two people die). If he's clean... the question becomes, do we risk the hold then? Because if there are four, they win if they kill and we don't.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

hambeet posted:

Gulag or redneck.

Gulag hasn't been tested.

redneck has been tested, but I feel they were trying to keep the vote away from Keane the day after.

I agree with this, and also because I will never be able to read Gulag and the only certainty I will ever have is if we test. Afterward, whoever gets the gun has to make a judgement call.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

I say we do test gulag, if uninfected then we can right that NK comment off as a joke. If infected then you know what to do (if you get the vig)

##vote gulag

That's basically my thoughts on it but I'm appropriately paranoid.

##vote Gulag

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I also have not been tested, nor has AA I believe. Or you, Hal.

Also gulag I'd like to believe you're uninfected except that I had been worried the Scum team had a NK now and since you went and made that joke (if it was a joke), I straight up cannot take the chance and must test you now. It's too big of a risk to let that just hang there unchecked.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Whew. I was worried that was too quick. Toalpaz also needs testing but so long as things go to plan, it'll all get sorted out.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

irt wasn't a joke.....like i said, do u think this game is unwinnable for scum now and we're just in a very long chatroom?

Maybe? The game was unwinnable for Town so long as Keane lived, even if we nailed every single one of his recruits. Now it's unwinnable for scum. In theory. It sort of fits?

I do however agree that this is probably wishful thinking.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I realize this but you get what I mean.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ugh the more I think on it the more I think it's probably best we just shoot regardless. I don't feel we can take the risk of waiting to see.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

:(

Yeah maybe. This is stressful ok I'm allowed to freakout if I want to.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

hambeet posted:

I enjoyed the game because it was almost two games. Early game was more of a logic puzzle, and then became more traditional mafia as the infected team grew and they needed to influence the vote.

Realising Keane has recruited me the night he died made me think I was going to lose as infected which was quite amusing.

I don't feel the vote not being deadly was a bad thing because the infected grew every night and the night kill would just be luck. So there was still pressure and risk.

But if the kill was withheld as suggested it looked as though the game was going to become a drawn out chatroom as someone else said. I'm glad that didn't happen.

Yeah I assumed CP wouldn't have actually made it impossible for you to win and would have given you a kill. Welp.

The secrecy of the mechanics also didn't help this game. There was no reason to hide the fact that the original thing was the only one able to recruit.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

hambeet posted:

actually yeah this, i really didnt' expect a night kill

Because gulag went and convinced me that CP wouldn't make the game become unwinnable for scum and that they must have a nk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Pretty much.

At that point we weren't playing the game anymore, we were playing "what kind of game would CP make".

Which isn't fun, really.

• Locked thread