Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

61st Jager Infantry Brigade
"Guess why we're called 'Jagers' and not 'Strelki'"

In it to lose terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i'm a cop and got a n0, gulagdolls is scum

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i think we should vote for anyone who isn't willing to get lynched D1

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

db voted for himself

but db was also the third vote which is always scum

:thunk:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

oops, he was the fourth vote, my bad

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

there really isn't a good testing strategy that doesn't devolve into WIFOM but you guys do you

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

Getting cleared early is a sure fire way to survive the game, cult or no cult. People would always find it difficult to waste a shot clearing someone again later because people think they flipped later on/or vigging someone who was cleared early over someone who's playing scummy.

Toalpaz posted:

yeah, basically this

pretty sure you're contradicting yourself here, chief

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i don't know if the recruitment hits before the nightkill, if it does, the game is actually unwinnable as town even with perfect play

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

I mean Hal could be lying but if no one counterclaims it's as good as a test right?

i don't think there's a downside for the infected to claim/counterclaim the nightkill if they have more than one infected

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hal Incandenza posted:

I welcome the thunderdome of counterclaims!

i can't counterclaim your kill, i'm the cop

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i claimed this on day 1, please catch up

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

oh man

oh maaaaaaaaan

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

hambeet posted:

It would be the opportune time for an infected the play a gambit hmmm

hmm, yes

this would be a good time to pull a wacky gambit as scum when there's one dead scum and pretty much no leads on who the other(s) could be by nature of the game

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

note that i say "other(s)" because i'm a bit fuzzy on the wording of the game mechanics

i.e, did we start with one person as the thing and they chose someone to make two vs we started with one actual infected person, offed one last night, and still have one remaining because the infection went before the nightkill

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

hambeet posted:

It's not your normal mafia game red, you're not gonna die from being tested so no big drama yeah? Gotta test someone

i mean, if i get tested, it means i'm cleared for that night's kill and that's it

it's not a good thing one way or another because it's not going to turn up scum today so it's a waste

i'm just laughing at using two, possibly three jokeposts as a rationale for using our one guess

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

hambeet posted:

Again, anything is better than nothing. I don't think we're gonna get the usual scum inconsistencies and lack of casing as strong tells, but I could be wrong. There's also little risk in losing people, it's just wifom if they'll infect previously cleared players or not, but again we have to test someone anyway..

I'm trying different things and seeing what gets traction. My other idea was who would recruit RF first, if we know enough meta about them, and work back from there. AA mentioned a couple, but that's it.

since there's no OOT communication, meta kinda goes out the window

like, my go-to strategy as scum/third party is "kill productive town players first" because then you can control the discourse. this works better if you can coordinate with the rest of the scumbos to actually control it via fake opposition and bickering. here, the coordination element is out the window, so i'd probably want to establish a few people who can lay low and not attract suspicion until the game is a bit more in reach.

if anything in this game, i'd go scumhunting by looking at who wants to railroad a test.

infected people know who's going to come up as town, it's easier to parlay the railroad into "oh, he was acting suspicious so i wanted to make sure" because there's no death associated with it, and it provides the opportunity to infect the person just to throw the town off later.

looking back through post histories, i'm pretty confident about this vote based on jumping into bandwagons with little explanation:

##vote Rhjamiz

i can't see votefinder at work, so if i'm already hammered, welp.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

of course you don't feel a need to justify your vote, it's a single vote from a dude at -2

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

I meant more like in general, not to you specifically.

as did i

you literally have nothing to lose in an empty vote in an already established bandwagon, as opposed to explaining yourself and exposing a bit more rationale

so, yeah, not expecting any justification. well played, great job.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Yo I feel like the obvious move is to test people each day who are posting differently or people who seem to be behaving differently compared to an earlier day and treating each day independently?

this is probably the best solution if people establish posting styles

failing that, i'm gonna vote based on bandwagoning

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i hope you're suggesting L-mp-n Listing™

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

if we weren't in antarctica, we could solve this right now by challenging people to eat a bug

the infected wouldn't eat a bug, they prefer tasty mammal flesh

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dick Bastardly posted:

well were are still playing so either RF was the recruit or someone else was recruited by RF and that action precedes NK

that's what i mean

if the order goes like this:

infected recruit someone
uninfected gets a gun
gun holder shoots a dude

then the town can't ever get rid of the infected people period because there's only one kill, even if the town knows who the infected are at all times

if the gun getter goes first and then the infected recruit, then it's winnable

if the infected have to choose someone to do the infecting and it stops if they get nightkilled, it's almost balanced

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dick Bastardly posted:

*sneakily drawing redneck's blood whilst distracting him*

Can we assume RF was recruited by an original thing thats still alive then?

##vote redneck

no

the only thing we can say definitively is "RF was scum and hal probably shot him"

we can't even speculate on the number of scum:

scenario a: probably what's going on
code:
infected chooses someone night 0, two infected
infected chooses someone night 1, RF dies, two infected
scenario b: less likely, more beneficial for town
code:
infected chooses someone night 0, RF in original day 1
RF chooses someone night 1, gets shot, one infected
scenario c: worst case nightmare "cpig hates town players" scenario
code:
infected chooses someone night 0, two infected
each infected chooses someone night 1, RF gets shot, three infected total
i think scenario c is the least likely just because the game is over tomorrow if we don't shoot one of them tonight

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hal Incandenza posted:

You know I was going to say something about the day kill but right we don’t have one? Or do we get to beat the infected person to death or whatever if they fail the test.

I probably should be reading the OP or something

Da OP posted:

The infected/uninfected status of the vote will be displayed as the flip but that player will not be dead.

so it's basically a big glowy sign that says "SHOOT / DO NOT SHOOT THIS PERSON", not an actual kill

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

unless the infected team has to choose someone to do the infecting and we nightkill that exact person

but things look Grim™

so stop voting for me and test someone who might actually be scum

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

minus a million points from hal for not saying "the betrayer has become...the betrayed"

:redhammer:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

##vote Anomalous Amalgam

i have a good lucky feeling about this one, ladies and gentlemen

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hal Incandenza posted:

hmmm but we know AA can’t possibly be the original virus so that seems counterintuitive but redneck sounds like he’s got something

Hal Incandenza posted:

Kind of meaningless since we know AA was human when he got the flamethrower so it’s not like he had any nefarious reasoning

yep. these are definitely some posts all right. some of them even have words!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

you sound awfully confident of AA's alignment there, hambeet

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

hambeet posted:

AA could only have been infected last night. Someone we haven't tested yet could have been infected last night or a previous night.

incorrect

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

so, all we have to go off of for AA's alignment is his claim which isn't provable. just because nobody's counterclaimed yet doesn't mean it's not a lie. astute readers will note that at no point did i counterclaim AA or insinuate that he was lying, i'm simply trying to draw attention to the fact that he can't actually prove anything so it shouldn't be taken as gospel.

you're not taking that lack of proof into consideration at all. at several points today, you have stated that AA can't be infected and we should move on. to be fair, if he's not lying about the nightkill, you're correct. the way you're going about it is in trying to look super helpful and interested in scumhunting. operative word there is "trying", because you're taking a very easy and safe position (the guy who did the kill can't be infected by the rules of the game) that few people are going to raise an eyebrow at.

on the other hand, you're also hedging your bets by saying "oh, well, he could have shot someone and then gotten infected" which is a convenient explanation if he gets tested today and flips infected.

this isn't the behavior of someone trying to scumhunt, this is the behavior of someone trying to look like they're scumhunting by taking the easiest possible position.

two things here jump out at me:

1. there's no danger in dying by votecount here. why are you trying to hedge your bets and play things safe?

2. how are you this sure about AA's alignment? there's only one way you can know his alignment with the level of certainty you're expressing right now, and that's if you're actually scum yourself.

##vote hambeet

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

honestly, the more i think about it, the more a completely RNG approach to testing is probably best.

any result that isn't "infected' is worthless. there's no legitimate way to clear anyone barring accidentally killing them at night.

##unvote

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

just random it

google's random number generator gave me 6

going down the OP's player list and taking out the dead, that gives us

##vote Hal Incandenza

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i still say he's scummy as gently caress but i don't think i'm getting traction on it

want to do this, keane?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

do your worst

have at thee

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

to what end?

how can i be sure this isn't some coordinated ploy to subvert the good strategy of "RNG it"?

i don't think i like what's going on here, to be quite honest

nothing that's happened in the game thus far substantiates voting keane over an RNG vote

granted, someone's going to take this as "omg must protect keane", but that's not it at all

hell, keane and i go way back. i'd eat a bug for him

unless he's scum, then i'd kill him, because i'm town and that's what townspeople do. or if we're both scum and i have to bus him.

not that i've played recently and had an opportunity to bus anyone anywhere

that's kind of irrelevant, i apologize

everybody just needs to calm down and go back to the RNG strategy

really. if we all just RNG the vote and agree on it, we'll stand a better chance. if we don't, we're hosed.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

##vote hambeet

let's do this

btw i am now confirmed town

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

hambeet posted:

well no, you're not. you were uninfected at the end of yesterday, but you could have been infected last night. so you could be anything now, but one thing you're definitely not is 'confirmed town'.

you see, people that would know why i'm now confirmed town, we’re from different, ancient tribes. now we’re both almost extinct. sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways. old-school ways.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

lynch test all mafia dads (or moms)

it's a pretty good policy when you don't know what's going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013