Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Who's a good kii-kitty? Whoza goo' kii-kii? Yes you is! Yesh you iz! Good kitty-kitty. Good kitty-kitty yes you is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

gently caress you fish

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

He prefers "gimp", op, and he is a commodities broker

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Who's a good kii-kitty? Whoza goo' kii-kii? Yes you is! Yesh you iz! Good kitty-kitty. Good kitty-kitty yes you is.

I've noticed this type of ungrammatical speech to pets, I did it.

It was fascinating to me to observe my 45 year old brother, who is developmentally disabled (approx. 3rd grade level) speak this way to my mother's puppies.

😳🤪

(He never talks that way any other time.)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

talkin to bubbles r/n op

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I find talking in a regular voice to the dog gets it to listen more closely to me.

Goons, on the other hand...

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
All day i ask the dog questions and he refuses to answer

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

spinderella posted:

It was fascinating to me to observe my 45 year old brother, who is developmentally disabled (approx. 3rd grade level) speak this way to my mother's puppies.

😳🤪

Have you tried convincing a TV crew to follow him around as some sort of animal whisperer type of psychic?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Isaac posted:

All day i ask the dog questions and he refuses to answer

Maybe he's deaf? Or doesn't speak English?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What can I say? My cat is a good listener

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my dog told me to tell you that he's a good boy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mozi posted:

my dog told me to tell you that he's a good boy

Your dog is a liar

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I call dogs stupid to their faces but they just keep smiling and wagging (because they’re stupid)

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

My dog goes crazy when I use Tim Allen grunts to communicate.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Your dog is a liar

what the

he assures me that nothing could be further from the truth!

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

My birds talk back which is pretty great. It's always funny to have them respond during a conversation. Sometimes it even makes sense.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nesamdoom posted:

My birds talk back which is pretty great. It's always funny to have them respond during a conversation. Sometimes it even makes sense.

I had a male cockateil when I was really young and if you whistled at him he would begin the competition

Later we got two female ones and if you whistle at them they listen attentively

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i don't just talk to them, i sing to them

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have full-blown conversations with our pug about everything. He just stares and tilts his head and I usually give him a treat for being a good listener.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Weird thread premise, OP. Has anyone ever had a pet and not talked to it?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

curlys gold posted:

gently caress you fish

lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
my dog was giving me the silent treatment so i gave him the same. eventually he cracked though

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Devils Affricate posted:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Devils Affricate posted:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Twelve Batmans posted:

I have full-blown conversations with our pug about everything. He just stares and tilts his head and I usually give him a treat for being a good listener.

I do this with both my dogs. Sometimes you need to talk to someone who doesn’t talk back.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

just be careful what you share with your pets though, they understand everything and will be silently judging you behind your back

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I both talk to my dog and voice his reply based on how he reacts. Usually most conversations involve him telling me that he's a very good boy and deserves treats. He's right.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I like to ask my cats what they did with their days. Like, "how was the SLEEPING and POOPING you guys did all day while I was WORKING FOR A LIVING?"

Usually pair this up with mean names I call them like "Chicken McBitch" or "shitcat"

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I tell Cat #1 he's the best cat in the world, and then I tell Cat #2 he's the best cat in the world. So far, neither one of them has noticed the logical impossibility of both statements being true. :laugh:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bogus Adventure posted:

I both talk to my dog and voice his reply based on how he reacts. Usually most conversations involve him telling me that he's a very good boy and deserves treats. He's right.

My female gets a slightly haughty Southern drawl while my male sounds like a bored surly teenager.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Super Grocery Kart posted:

My female gets a slightly haughty Southern drawl while my male sounds like a bored surly teenager.

:respek:

caterpillaropera
Aug 31, 2004

Who's gonna teach you to bump and grind?
Buglord
How's momma's little loser?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I tell Cat #1 he's the best cat in the world, and then I tell Cat #2 he's the best cat in the world. So far, neither one of them has noticed the logical impossibility of both statements being true. :laugh:

one of our dogs is the best dog in the world, and our other dog is also here

we don't treat them differently, because that would be messed up, but it is as agreed upon and understood as it is unspoken

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mozi posted:

my dog was giving me the silent treatment so i gave him the same. eventually he cracked though

My in laws don't talk to their dog. It's really sad.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Who What Now posted:

My in laws don't talk to their dog. It's really sad.

Wh-what do they do with it then? What’s the point?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Wh-what do they do with it then? What’s the point?

They ask if she has to go outside, but that doesn't count. Other than that she just exists in their house. Mostly she just sleeps underneath their couch where none of the many grandkids can shoot nerf darts at her.

When she needs to be groomed we bring her up to our house to see our groomer, and she gets treated like a real pet. We should really just adopt her outright.

Like who wouldn't love this dog? It's tragic.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spinderella posted:

😳🤪

See I don’t even think developmentally disabled is an accurate medical term either. It’s just another more pc term for retarded or Down’s syndrome. Because occasionally in the gene swarm you have overlapping similar dna in partners, even if it’s not direct inbreeding sometimes. And you get gain in the chromosomes and you get a virtual 24th chromosome, as if you are born with a genetic target to the first epoch in the galaxy to the south. It happens so if there is too sparse of populations that the gene swarm stays targeted toward human evolution to the south and not regress to herding animals. There is no pupal stage in animals in the galaxy to the south, things don’t go through metamorphosis or puberty, they are all adults from birth. Similarly what medicine calls Down’s syndrome :airquote: is actually an advanced evolutionary target that produces an emotionally mature ADULT from birth, not a child. The reason most people don’t develop logical capacity is because there is not enough gravity in our galaxy to develop the meridian in the brain, less than -10m/s^2. Nevertheless they are emotionally mature socially developing adults, capable of taking care of others from a young age and their own children with sexual maturity.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

With my dog I usually get out one and a half, maybe two "whooza good boyyyeee?"s before my speech completely devolves into incoherent babbling

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

That's only during intense cuddle sessions of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Who What Now posted:

They ask if she has to go outside, but that doesn't count. Other than that she just exists in their house. Mostly she just sleeps underneath their couch where none of the many grandkids can shoot nerf darts at her.

When she needs to be groomed we bring her up to our house to see our groomer, and she gets treated like a real pet. We should really just adopt her outright.

Like who wouldn't love this dog? It's tragic.

This dog deserves a real family imo

• Locked thread