Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The whole 2018 movie gets absolutely loving bizarre in subtle ways - like how the teen girl gets her phone tossed in the pudding and doesn’t immediately fish it out. But more importantly, it functions like the Friday the 13th remake - treating all the sequels as if they metaphorically happened, like the entire hosed continuity is a series of folk tales/dream sequences, and the Zombie films are Laurie’s dreams about her granddaughter....

Metaphorically happened or, as I like to think of it, they were events destined to happen but since something changed in Halloween 2018 (Michael is captured instead of walking free) all of those events happened once Michael escaped 40 years too late. I mentioned this in my October Challenge post, but the first thing Michael does in Halloween 2018 is go into an old woman's house and steal her knife, and it's also the first thing he does in Halloween II. He's incinerated at the end of II, and Laurie spends 40 years setting up a similar fate in Halloween 2018, with pressurized gas tanks and everything.

I mean, I'm sure both of those things were intentionally added to solidify this movie as "the 'real' Halloween II". It's not enough to ignore the rest of the series after the first, they have to retell key events from Halloween II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The score is so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8H3M0DDWDs

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope the bluray release has a whole feature on making the soundtrack.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

King Vidiot posted:

Metaphorically happened or, as I like to think of it, they were events destined to happen but since something changed in Halloween 2018 (Michael is captured instead of walking free) all of those events happened once Michael escaped 40 years too late. I mentioned this in my October Challenge post, but the first thing Michael does in Halloween 2018 is go into an old woman's house and steal her knife, and it's also the first thing he does in Halloween II. He's incinerated at the end of II, and Laurie spends 40 years setting up a similar fate in Halloween 2018, with pressurized gas tanks and everything.

Right - but, going beyond that, Laurie is acting absolutely bonkers in this movie, building traps to defend herself against, essentially, the Rob Zombie version of the character. Michael in 1978 did some weird stuff in Haddonfield, but awkwardly killing three people doesn’t really justify calling down an orbital strike.

What makes Halloween 2018 interesting is that everyone is projecting things onto Michael. Both Laurie and the doctor want Michael to escape and track her down, while Michael himself - by all appearances - just wants to go trick-or-treating, in his way. He’s literally ‘just’ wandering from door to door and scaring people. His every interaction with the Strode family is incidental, happening mainly because everyone is hunting for him. For a huge chunk of the film, he’s actually defending himself with a kitchen knife against dozens of people armed with guns - people who consider him literally the devil. It’s a mistake to only see Michael as crazy.

Like, the more you examine Halloween 1978, the weirder it gets. When the kids watch Doctor Dementia’s “The Thing” on TV, it’s actually a curious mash-up of The Thing From Another World and Forbidden Planet - not a double feature. Everything has the hazy quality of an urban legend. We’re repeatedly told that The Shape is 21 years old, but then Michael Myers himself is 23 in the credits.

I’m not sure people pay much attention to the dynamics of the Bob/Lynda sex scene, but Bob has trouble getting it up, finishes in like a minute, and Lynda is really badly faking not only the orgasm but the afterglow - even after Bob leaves the room. Like, this performance (lighting the cigarette, etc.) isn’t for Bob but for herself, like she doesn’t really know how sex works and is just doing what she saw in the movies. And that ties back into the opening scene where (from Michael’s point of view) Judith’s boyfriend goes upstairs, they undress, and he leaves one minute later. Like the whole thing is a kid’s understanding of events.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Right - but, going beyond that, Laurie is acting absolutely bonkers in this movie, building traps to defend herself against, essentially, the Rob Zombie version of the character. Michael in 1978 did some weird stuff in Haddonfield, but awkwardly killing three people doesn’t really justify calling down an orbital strike.

What makes Halloween 2018 interesting is that everyone is projecting things onto Michael. Both Laurie and the doctor want Michael to escape and track her down, while Michael himself - by all appearances - just wants to go trick-or-treating, in his way. He’s literally ‘just’ wandering from door to door and scaring people. His every interaction with the Strode family is incidental, happening mainly because everyone is hunting for him. For a huge chunk of the film, he’s actually defending himself with a kitchen knife against dozens of people armed with guns - people who consider him literally the devil. It’s a mistake to only see Michael as crazy.

Just casually scaring people by beating them to death with hammers and stabbing them in the throat after ripping a dude’s jaw open, strangling someone to death and braining another guy against a bathroom door

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

That is something I noticed too and thought was odd. Like I know the boyfriend was meant to sound like a douche when he said Michael "only" killed three people forty years ago, but he's kind of right. Michael is in his sixties and his murders can be counted on one hand. Compared to other versions of Michael, this is an almost laughably small sum. Even just taking Halloween II into things, he nearly doubles his original kill count from the first movie if only humans are counted. And Laurie is so convinced that Michael is going to hunt her down and that he's still obsessed with her, but he makes absolutely zero attempts to even find her specific location throughout the whole film. He doesn't go after her until he's literally delivered to her doorstep. Hell, even when they encounter each other after that babysitter murder, Michael just ignores her and leaves, even after she shoots at him several times.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That was one of my favorite parts about H40, is that it very much leaves it open as to whether or not Michael gives a poo poo about Laurie at all.

He doesn't seem to; if it weren't for them being forced together by the Doctor, Michael would have been content to just kill whoever came across his path.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

As someone who's only seen the original and the new film, I have no idea what the hell anyone is talking about, and taken as a pure sequel to the original I think it works perfectly. Is Myers coming for Laurie? In my mind I thought he was murdering his way to her but also, maybe not, for he is a oval office. It works either way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just casually scaring people by beating them to death with hammers and stabbing them in the throat after ripping a dude’s jaw open, strangling someone to death and braining another guy against a bathroom door

Correct, except that the gas station murders happen in the daytime before he gets the mask - preparation for the trick-or-treating.

A lot of bullshit has been spun about Michael having no motivation (“he’s just a force of nature” or whatever) but Michael’s deal is kinda simply that he actually believes in Halloween. Like the ghost disguise thing in 1978 isn’t a prank; his idea is to literally become Bob’s ghost - and you can’t say that he’s entirely unsuccessful.

When you get into what this 2018 film is really about, it’s how Haddonfield needs Michael, and Laurie especially needs Michael to unite her family. He’s a distraction from the nebulous ‘real problems’ the teens are talking about. And he’s constantly encouraged to fill that role.

Michael has perhaps always simply done what he’s ‘supposed to’. How does Loomis actually know that Michael was amoral and without the concepts of life and death if he was catatonic? Is Michael not simply doing exactly what’s expected of him?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 29, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In the original movie Michael killed 5 humans and two dogs. His sister at the beginning, then after he escapes he kills the mechanic he gets his coveralls from, Annie, Bob, and Linda. In the new film he kills at least 16 that we see.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 29, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not An Irish Monk posted:

Overall I thought this movie did a decent job of giving the minor characters just enough individual flair and personality to not make them just brainless slasher-movie victims even though some of the ways they did it kinda took away from the scare factor at points.

Even with the rear end in a top hat boyfriend, he’s really nice and polite and gets along with the family and Allysion very well. It’s only when he gets drunk does he become a bit of a prick, which is something they show and say. Even he was pretty torn up about what he did.

It helps paint these characters as more realistic for sure and not one note 80’s horror sequel characters.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got around to seeing this movie last night and it was a-okay. I have never seen a Halloween movie before and god drat I thought I was watching a movie about Sarah Conner prepping for a terminator to come and get her.

Also, I'm of the opinion that the fakest thing to happen in that movie was seeing kids out on Halloween trick-or-treating.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Honest Thief posted:

The "I'm a doctor, please lock your doors" line had me laughing; there was a good sense of humour throughout the whole thing.

I'm glad somebody else thought it was funny. Felt like I was the only person in my theater laughing at that.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, I didn't know that John Carpenter think's Rob Zombie is a piece of poo poo for lying about Carpenter's reaction to Zombie directing the remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVYs5Y_EqSc

I recently watched the Rob Zombie version. It's very inline with House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects. I did like the Malcolm Macdowell as Sam Loomis, but the rest of it was grimey, mean spirited, and not much fun.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

SimonCat posted:

So, I didn't know that John Carpenter think's Rob Zombie is a piece of poo poo for lying about Carpenter's reaction to Zombie directing the remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVYs5Y_EqSc

I recently watched the Rob Zombie version. It's very inline with House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects. I did like the Malcolm Macdowell as Sam Loomis, but the rest of it was grimey, mean spirited, and not much fun.

The sequel is both grimier and less memorable.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Zombie's Halloween II is still the second-best Halloween film. H40 probably creeps into third though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheLoneStar posted:

I don't like how this was a direct continuation of the first film only, if only because I don't feel that Laurie Strode's paranoia was quite as justified. Yes, her friends got slaughtered and Michael went after her, but if we only count the first movie as canon, Laurie has no reason to believe Michael wants to go after her during the course of this movie until after he breaks out. As far as she knows she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and Michael pursued her to the house she was babysitting at. It didn't feel like enough reason for her to be paranoid and obsessive for forty years after the fact and thinking that Michael was targeting her specifically. Honestly I think they could've retconned the endings to the second film and H20 to make it more believable that Laurie would believe Michael is obsessed with her...since he actually would've been.

Yeah that's like, the opposite of the point of this movie

Laurie thinks he's obsessed because she's loving traumatized from her experience in 78. She lives every day in absolute terror and deals with that fear by becoming a prepper. She imposes order on the chaos that is Michael, and that he brought into her world

There's nothing in the actual movie to back this up, though. He's not gunning for her. He doesn't make a beeline to her house leading to a protracted chase sequence. He just goes to the closest town, which I'd still Haddonfield because they locked him up in a psych ward he'd already escaped from, and starts doing his thing. Everyone projects the story of him being obsessed onto the events, just like they made up the story about them being siblings.

It's a movie about overcoming trauma and burning any connection you had to it

Literally

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You absolutely have to treat Halloween 78 as not a literal retelling of actual events, but as the urban legend version of the events. Michael wasn't actually stalking her, he didn't actually get up after being shot and falling out a window. People just say that's what happened, because it's a ghost story. He's the Boogeyman. It's how those stories work

Also, Laurie spent forty years being a Doomsday prepper but for one man, which isn't even a completely unrealistic portrayal of someone dealing with that kind of trauma. But she doesn't necessarily want him to come for her; the house exists solely as a holdout, a last resort. She doesn't immediately retreat when she hears he escaped, she goes to check on her kid, and then she goes loving hunting. When the cops find him she doesn't go oh poo poo and haul rear end back home, she goes right for him

Because the only way she can move on is to know he can't hurt her or anyone else ever again

And she'll do whatever it takes to make that happen

It's so loving good

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I seriously can't believe y'all are praising this fuckin schlock

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Schlock is good.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It was a joke, Michael!

No but seriously, movie rips sorry.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

I seriously can't believe y'all are praising this fuckin schlock

You should try providing some actual criticism instead of just calling it schlock over and over again

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

-cringey cooldad
-"instant karma" memejoke
-snarky boyfriend
-indistinguishable snarky friends
-scene for the sole and explicit purpose of destroying cell phone
-utterly pointless shooting range scare scene
-"stop trying to understand killers your stupid millennials :smug:"
-hamfisted ~dr obsessed with patient~ plot device
-token "gently caress this mess" black character but this time it's a snarky little kid
-police chief whose sole purpose is to be the voice of "don't worry about it" for one scene and then disappears
-super cringey banh mi scene
-"maybe monsters create monsters" ain't exactly a deep thought

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I can respect not liking the movie for the things you listed even if I don't agree with all of them, but it seems super weird to be mad about a joke about banh mi and list it as some sort of critical failure of the film imho

Also there needs to be scenes addressing why the teenager doesnt just pull out her cell phone and call for help, otherwise pedantic shitlords would get super mad about it, so that's just unfortunately how it is a lot of the time in horror. I think Hereditary is the only film in recent history I can think of that hasn't kind of done this.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

a joke about banh mi

joke? the dude literally just explained what banh mi is

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

-cringey cooldad
-"instant karma" memejoke
-snarky boyfriend
-indistinguishable snarky friends
-scene for the sole and explicit purpose of destroying cell phone
-"stop trying to understand killers your stupid millennials :smug:"
-hamfisted ~dr obsessed with patient~ plot device
-token "gently caress this mess" black character but this time it's a snarky little kid
-police chief whose sole purpose is to be the voice of "don't worry about it" for one scene and then disappears
-super cringey banh mi scene
-"maybe monsters create monsters" ain't exactly a deep thought

All these are positives imo

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

hawowanlawow posted:

joke? the dude literally just explained what banh mi is

It's fine if you don't like Danny McBride style humor and/or don't think it belongs in a Halloween style movie, that's pretty obvious from your list, but I thought it was a humorous conversation. Similar to "motherfuckers used jpegs so I look all pixelated and poo poo, shoulda used tif files" is a really funny thing to say, even though technically it is correct to describe that as merely "explaining" what something is.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

hawowanlawow posted:

The point of that scene isn't to scare the audience, it's Allyson being fully thrust into Laurie's world. She wasn't fully aware of how severe Laurie's trauma is from the events of the original film. In the middle of running away from the exact Boogeyman described by her grandmother for her entire life she also stumbles into an example of the extent to which he has hosed Laurie up in the form of a dozen bullet ridden mannequins.

It's a moment of her seeing the reality of what it means for her grandmother to have spent the majority of her life dedicated to preparing to kill one specific person.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

It's fine if you don't like Danny McBride style humor and/or don't think it belongs in a Halloween style movie, that's pretty obvious from your list, but I thought it was a humorous conversation. Similar to "motherfuckers used jpegs so I look all pixelated and poo poo, shoulda used tif files" is a really funny thing to say, even though technically it is correct to describe that as merely "explaining" what something is.

not true, McBride is funny as hell but that scene isn't. It strikes me like it was his fourth or fifth "funny conversation" idea after the good ones got shot down by some suit

I guess it's kinda funny in a way to make a guy who eats PB&J every day the butt of a joke in the second cash-in remake of a horror franchise

Flying Zamboni posted:

The point of that scene isn't to scare the audience, it's Allyson being fully thrust into Laurie's world. She wasn't fully aware of how severe Laurie's trauma is from the events of the original film. In the middle of running away from the exact Boogeyman described by her grandmother for her entire life she also stumbles into an example of the extent to which he has hosed Laurie up in the form of a dozen bullet ridden mannequins.

It's a moment of her seeing the reality of what it means for her grandmother to have spent the majority of her life dedicated to preparing to kill one specific person.

cutting from an action scene to hammer home the "maybe monsters create monsters" theme of a slasher movie is definitely pointless

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 2, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Because the only way she can move on is to know he can't hurt her or anyone else ever again

And she'll do whatever it takes to make that happen

It's so loving good

Well no; Laurie wishes that people will start dying because it will prove her right. She wants her family to be attacked.

(The entire point of the 'mad doctor' character is that he actually does what Laurie is too 'weak' to do: confronting Myers at the Asylum, hijacking the bus, throwing her family at Myers, etc. After the scene where he's struck by the SUV, Myers and the doctor merge into a single character - in the specific sense that the doctor had, all along, been pushing for Myers to confront Laurie. Finally, at this point, Myers is following his doctor's advice.)

And in the end, people dying works: the end of the film is a strange ritual where Michael Myers (the banal human) is sacrificed in order to repair the damaged family and so-on. Laurie was herself possessed, a dangerous Shape, excluded from the family gatherings. She's breaking into houses, waving a gun at children. Her treatment of her daughter was at least borderline abusive. The Boogeyman is chased away, for a time.

That's where you get into the imagery of the house that was, all along, designed to be burned. Laurie's daughter was kept 'caged' in order for her to learn to compartmentalize and eventually eliminate the negative aspects of herself.

However, the ritual inevitably fails to kill 'The Boogeyman'. The Boogeyman is an entirely different creature from Michael Myers or even The Shape, in the same way that everyone understands "The Bat," "Bruce Wayne," and "Batman" as being distinct entities. The Boogeyman is an idea. It's in the knife in the last shot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Just saw the movie and liked it. And this what I was going to ask to find, ty. The part where they played this was so good.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 7, 2018

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Wow, no mention of the group of kids wearing the Halloween 3 masks, for shame thread, for shame.
:spooky:

Definitely the highlight, and I just remembered what the siren sound reminds me of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SYwllZ6y08

while Michael himself - by all appearances - just wants to go trick-or-treating, in his way. He’s literally ‘just’ wandering from door to door and scaring people.

I love this observation.

It's a very fun film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wyoming posted:

Wow, no mention of the group of kids wearing the Halloween 3 masks, for shame thread, for shame.
:spooky:

CelticPredator posted:

I loved it a whole lot and I'm not even a huge fan of the series outside of 1 and 3. 3 being my favorite honestly. So I was obviously glad when a pretty great nod to that film came on screen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Obviously Halloween III is canon now in the new movie because we see those three kids. 30-something years ago in Santa Mira, CA, a bizarre one in a million strain of vermin made a bunch of kids' heads explode into snakes and bugs after being magically teleported into their heads via Halloween masks due to cyber witchcraft androids bringing back the true meaning of Halloween - exploding child heads. caused a toxic animal venom pandemic that killed hundreds of children through rapid necrosis around the their skull cavities. In the ensuing ensuing emotional trauma one prominent Dr. became known as "West Coast Loomis" for his creating an elaborate and impossible theory based around Samhain (and robots impersonating people close to him - guess he saw The Terminator too many times) to explain away his own failings both as human on every level and as a doctor who failed to save any kids. It's just not mentioned openly because it was 30 years ago and why would anyone in Haddonfield, IL, care.

Speaking of which, the Santa Miraverse ladies and gentlemen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Mira

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 7, 2018

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what universes does the halloween franchise share? we already know friday the 13th shares worlds with transformers and evil dead.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well, apparently you can play as Michael Myers in a DLC pack of Call of Duty: Ghosts...

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

what universes does the halloween franchise share? we already know friday the 13th shares worlds with transformers and evil dead.

When Tiffany steals Chucky from evidence in the opening of Bride Of Chucky, you get a flash of Michael's mask, alongside Krueger's claw, Jason's hockey mask, and Leatherface's chainsaw. If you take Bride as canon, it technically serves as the nexus for a slasher shared universe in one quick scene.

Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon takes place in a universe where Michael, Jason, and Freddy are all real, too.

Bonus Edit: As Michael's mask appears in Bride Of Chucky, and Chucky himself appeared on an episode of WCW Nitro, technically this means that a Michael Myers vs Scott Steiner movie is well within canonical possibility.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 8, 2018

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

So this movie was... not very good? Felt really all over the place and like “this is a Halloween movie so we better throw some teenagers in here” even though they weren’t interesting characters and did little of relevance. The plots with the psychiatrist and the podcasters were pretty dumb and at times made little sense, and the ending was hilariously bad. Oh well I still had fun because I love bad slashers. Rob zombie did it better

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 8, 2018

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i feel like there is definitely a sliding scale of number of murders in these types of movies vs how good of a movie it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

There's nothing in the actual movie to back this up, though. He's not gunning for her. He doesn't make a beeline to her house leading to a protracted chase sequence. He just goes to the closest town, which I'd still Haddonfield because they locked him up in a psych ward he'd already escaped from, and starts doing his thing. Everyone projects the story of him being obsessed onto the events, just like they made up the story about them being siblings.

I liked this a lot and I know they don't say it outright, but if you're into slasher movies or serial killer movies at all it's implicit - All the other Halloween sequels "happened" in this movie in that, like how the siblings thing is brought up, they're all the urban legends and nonsense people just flat out made up or misunderstood or intentionally exaggerated about what happened. Like when the state cop jokes about cancelling Halloween like that would be the absolute dumbest thing ever to do or when the other friend is like "but he just stabbed like three people here come on," it immediately made me think that if you approached a random person in the US in the setting and asked them about Michael Meyers they'd be like "That guy that killed so many people they cancelled Halloween in that small town?" or "that guy that slaughtered an entire hospital?

Similar to Psycho and its sequels (the three novels, not the films). Those books go so far from reality because they original is a sort of a true crime story but is also assembled from like every newspaper clipping and sensationalized story about Ed Gein ever. It's why you have a situation where, despite them having almost nothing in common beyond "someone kills people," Psycho, Silence of the Lambs, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Deranged, etc. are all "based on a true story" via those books.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 8, 2018