Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I was pointing it out but this movie supposes that Laurie basically gets pregnant right after the first Halloween. Laurie Strode is 17 in the first Halloween and Michael is 21.

So she's really in her early 50s in this film which doesn't make sense since she has a grand daughter who's her same age as the first Halloween.

Like I guess if she had her daughter when she was like 18. That's still mean her daughter had her grandaughter in her mid teens.

She’s in her late 50s, not her early 50s. I brought this up in the IIMM thread and it was pointed out that if you do the math, she was probably around 21 and then Judy Greer would’ve been around that age when she had Allyson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
So in an early version of the script the opening scene was a retcon of the original films ending where Loomis is killed when he confronts Michael and Laurie is the one who shoots Michael off the balcony. Carpenter talked them out of it by saying the audience wouldn't like it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It makes sense for Laurie to have been completely hosed up by the ordeal because for her entire life no one has taken her or the ordeal seriously as we see throughout the film.

But her being obsessed is also part of the movie, that she's convinced a "final boss fight" is destined to happen but that both her and Michael maybe kinda sorta possibly felt that way but were also guided in that direction by how everyone's treated them. My wife noted how reflective it is of ingrained sexism. We see the end result of Laurie's life in the movie but not how the rest of her life panned out, but we see the result where Michael Meyers, the guy who brutally stabbed a bunch of people to death, has people enthralled with him finally speaking, and how Laurie being Michael's sister was "just some thing folks made up to try to make sense of his actions." Almost all of the men in the movie treat Laurie like the monster in the basement that has to face her fears to become normal, while Michael has several of the film's main characters bending over backwards to try to understand and normalize him as just some guy.

That doesn't mean Laurie is a flawless person and not kind of an rear end in a top hat in her own way, but I think this was consistent enough in the movie to not be an accident and that it's obvious she didn't get much actual help coping with this from the people around her.

Plus paranoid prepper nuts and folks preparing their kids for an apocalyptic events like how we're introduced to Laurie are absolutely a thing even if folks in real life didn't have to deal with Michael Meyers rolling up on them and their friends.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Horrible Taste posted:

So in an early version of the script the opening scene was a retcon of the original films ending where Loomis is killed when he confronts Michael and Laurie is the one who shoots Michael off the balcony. Carpenter talked them out of it by saying the audience wouldn't like it.

He's right, the first film is sacred and if they're going to make it sacred enough to forget every other movie existed when continuing the story it would be bullshit for them to do that and then change how it ended.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah and I mean Donald Pleasance died of natural causes in real life, we can easily assume the same thing happened to Dr. Loomis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

It makes sense for Laurie to have been completely hosed up by the ordeal because for her entire life no one has taken her or the ordeal seriously as we see throughout the film.

Also, trauma can stick with a person. My first apartment was burglarized on Christmas Eve when I was 21, and 13 years later I still jump at noises coming from the hallway of my place, no matter how many locks I have on my door.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timby posted:

Also, trauma can stick with a person. My first apartment was burglarized on Christmas Eve when I was 21, and 13 years later I still jump at noises coming from the hallway of my place, no matter how many locks I have on my door.

I will admit it's always a little frustrating how many people on the planet are just incapable of ever understanding this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

She's 57. Her grand daughter is 17 her same age in 1978. So she was 40 when her granddaughter was born. Minimally she hopefully had her daughter 18 years before that so 22.

Just saying the time line is wonky.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 23, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

She's 57. Her grand daughter is 17 her same age in 1978. So she was 40 when her granddaughter was born. Minimally she hopefully had her daughter 18 years before that so 22.

How is that wonky? It's just part of how the movie references every previous installment.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's no way Judy Griers character is mid 30s.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hollismason posted:

Timeline is wonky or Midwest sex Ed at its finest? It's not that wonky

Edit: apparently Karen was born in 81 and Allyson 2001.

20 is a pretty solid "surprise baby" age

Len fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 23, 2018

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
People have kids at 19 and 20 literally all the time. And that's *today*. I know at least a dozen from high school that did.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gotta admit that straight sex is wonky and weird though.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The Halloween timeline is starting to look like a Jeremy Bearimy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Everyone in my family but me had kids before they were 19. My grandma was born when her mother was 16. It's common as hell in poor small towns.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

having so much sex is why meyers came back

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Hollismason posted:

Gotta admit that straight sex is wonky and weird though.

Seeing somebody with a bad '10-31-18' tattoo doesn't get you horny?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shneak posted:

Seeing somebody with a bad '10-31-18' tattoo doesn't get you horny?

He needed that tattoo like he needed a hole in the head.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This movie is so loving GOOD!!! Wow. Just perfect. Brutal kills. Pure dread. Meyers walking up and down everyone’s bodies.

This movie is lightning in a bottle. I am so surprised how good it was. A reviewer I heard in the radio said he didn’t like the jokes but they were perfect. It just fit so well and didn’t seem corny.

I hope they don’t do another. It would just cheapen everything. Leave it alone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Bad news: this made a poo poo ton of money

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

They already made 8 other ones that sucked. This movie will be fine even if it gets a horrible sequel. Just like the original is still fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If they do an H60 we could finally get Michael Meyers in space.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how long until we're done spoiler tagging in this thread that is dedicated to a movie that people wouldnt click on yet until they've seen the film?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

how long until we're done spoiler tagging in this thread that is dedicated to a movie that people wouldnt click on yet until they've seen the film?

6 months :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

It's monday so I think we can stop.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

It won't be until ..................................................

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Origami Dali posted:

I have a soft spot for the original H2. I like that it takes place during the same night as the original (more horror sequels need to do this; I think Phantasm is the only series that consistently picks up exactly where the last one left off). I like the updated score and the hospital setting. Michael being her brother is stupid, but they had to find some way to get him to still go after Laurie I guess. Michael's mask and walk is way off, and some kill sequences are boring, but it ain't that bad. It's probably my favorite of the sequels, unless we're counting Season of the Witch, because that movie owns bones.

If memory serves, it's the same mask from the first film. Between how it was stored between them (tossed under heavy smoker Debra Hill's bed) and Dick Warlock having a different shaped head than Nick Castle, it just looks different.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I was unfair to H3 when I first saw it and I'll need to rewatch it again soon. I didn't care that Meyers wasn't in it but found the premise so goddamn cheesy and lame. The jingle is so good though. :lol: The megacorp brainwashing kids to turn their brains into mush can be done properly and better too. I just don't know what specifically should be changed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My only problem with H3 was the stonehenge reveal and the fact that the masks... teleport snakes and spiders into kids faces? I think the story would've been better if the masks just emitted some frequency that killed the wearer, and that there was no proof of anything supernatural going on. Like if the cult just had this elaborate idea to sacrifice kids but no real proof that what they were doing was necessary because blah blah Samhain or whatever.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I actually like the supernatural stuff in H3 because it lends such a weird “yes, and” dreamlogic quality to it (which is further enhanced by the awesome, spacey score). Teleporting brain bugs? Okay! Corporate druids? Sure! Motherfucking robot people? My friend, it comes free with the meal!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmSP5b_Mi6g

Reworking London Bridge is evil as hell and then playing it non-stop throughout the movie embeds that loving song into your head.

It rules though.

8 more days till Halloween BTW

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What was everybody's take on the last shot? I've seen a few people take it to mean it's suggesting something ominous about the granddaughter, but I just took it to mean that Laurie has successfully taught from her mistakes and passed on the skills and smarts she needs to survive. Unlike Laurie in '78, she ain't dropping that loving knife.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It would be funny if it turned out Season of the Witch totally still happened in the Halloween 2018 universe.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

General Dog posted:

What was everybody's take on the last shot? I've seen a few people take it to mean it's suggesting something ominous about the granddaughter, but I just took it to mean that Laurie has successfully taught from her mistakes and passed on the skills and smarts she needs to survive. Unlike Laurie in '78, she ain't dropping that loving knife.

Yeah I just took it to be symbolic of Laurie's trauma being passed down the generations. The knife serving as the metaphorical torch.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
The knife is Michael's dick and she stole his manhood.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Laurie somewhat succeeded in protecting her actual daughter, but it's her granddaughter that likely suffers the same trauma cycle as Laurie w/r/t her friends and the experience she has.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Harlock posted:

Laurie somewhat succeeded in protecting her actual daughter, but it's her granddaughter that likely suffers the same trauma cycle as Laurie w/r/t her friends and the experience she has.

I disagree because I saw the final shot as

FordCQC posted:

The knife is Michael's dick and she stole his manhood.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

... said every horror fan since 1962.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Probably the 40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeah, when I noticed that we technically never saw Michael die, and then heard his breathing in the credits, I knew they were setting up for a sequel. Lo and behold when I checked Wikipedia, Jason Blum said there'd be a sequel if the film does well.