Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

PV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0TZj_d3Yfg

Seishun Buta Yaro wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai (or the pretty terrible English title of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai) is a light novel series about two teenagers looking into a series of supernatural phenomena known as Adolescent/Puberty Syndrome, punctuated by banter. Lots of banter. There's an anime of it now that will cover the first 5 volumes. A 2019 movie will cover the 6th and 7th. After that, who knows?

If you're curious, the bunny girl outfit appears for about 3 minutes in episode 1. That's about it.

Characters:

Sakuta Azusagawa
MC, general loner with a lot of snark and a lot of heart. Plays up the teenage horniness when he feels like it.

Mai Sakurajima
The titular bunny girl senpai. Ex-child actor/model who has found herself slowly fading from public perception and memory, literally. Able to give as good as she gets, but gets flustered when Sakuta pumps up the horny.

Kaede Azusagawa
Sakuta's little sister with a bit of a brocon. Shut-in whose case of Puberty Syndrome is what makes Sakuta believe in Mai's problem in the first place.

Rio Futaba
Sakuta's smart friend along with being one of his two friends total. Source of all the scientific babble in the show. Grills food on a Bunsen burner. Focus of the third arc.

Tomoe Koga
Schoolmate of Sakuta with a bit of a masochistic streak. Main focus of the second arc/volume.

I haven't seen them, but I've been told that if you like Bakemonogatari or Oregairu you might like this series. Come for the promised bunny girl, stay for the quick banter and decent teenage romance, with a good pinch of supernatural problem solving.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Good first image OP

Surprised at how much I'm liking the show. The chemistry between the characters is nice and its sort of refreshing to have this kind of interaction.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I keep hearing many opinions that this is discount Monogatari. Still worth it?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorta? Part of the thing that I like about this show is how it feels a good deal more down to earth. Like,

Ibblebibble posted:

I haven't seen them, but I've been told that if you like Bakemonogatari or Oregairu you might like this series.
This Ibblebibble's sentence gives you a good general idea, but it also seems like it's underselling it. It's a good series so far. :)

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Those first three episodes were good as hell, but I am worried about the series moving on to other obviously inferior girls

As if this show needed another comparison point to Bakemonogatari. But so far I am liking it more anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I really dislike the labcoat girl who babbles on about Shroedinger's Cat, and all the scenes she's in. I don't think the series needed that pseudoscientific perspective at all.

The rest is good though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've been told that the series keeps a strong focus on Mai, so that's a plus at least.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m gonna need an explanation of what this “Puberty Syndrome” thing is, cause at first glance it seems like some kinda :biotruths: poo poo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

milk moosie posted:

I’m gonna need an explanation of what this “Puberty Syndrome” thing is, cause at first glance it seems like some kinda :biotruths: poo poo.
Just kinda spitballing, and maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm guessing that similar to how middle-schoolers have a bad case of "teenage delusions" / "chuunibyou" and imagine they're saving a princess that came from another world or unable to contain the power in their right arm, the "puberty syndrome" happens when a young person goes through some awful poo poo and you get supernatural happenings befalling upon them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I believe that there's also an element of groupthink to it in that the general opinion of the public about the sufferer affects how the syndrome manifests, alongside the sufferer's prior issues. For example, Mai is slowly disappearing both because it's an extreme manifestation of her wish to be less noticeable, but also because she's not in the public eye anymore.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Rio Futaba
Sakuta's smart friend along with being one of his two friends total. Source of all the scientific babble in the show. Grills food on a Bunsen burner.

Her name is Rio, she makes coffee in the lab
She talks to Sakuta with scientific gab
And when she talks, she likes to go to physics stuff
Oh Rio, Rio, your screen time just ain't enough

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm kinda looking forward to Tomoe's arc (which seems to be the next one) because, while Nao Toyama is a fairly versatile actress for her three main ranges, I'm particularly fond of the voice she seems like she's going to use for this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYYgGpg7vnk&t=9s

vvvv e: Yeah, seems like. Sort of like the rumors' system in the Persona 2 Duology. vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 19, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

milk moosie posted:

It's definitely not, the general idea is that teenage social stuff like rumors, bullying and people disappearing from public life become real in certain cases.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MJP posted:

Rio Futaba
Sakuta's smart friend along with being one of his two friends total. Source of all the scientific babble in the show. Grills food on a Bunsen burner.

Her name is Rio, she makes coffee in the lab
She talks to Sakuta with scientific gab
And when she talks, she likes to go to physics stuff
Oh Rio, Rio, your screen time just ain't enough

She gets a bit more screentime in the LN/manga :v: Judging by the LN volume titles, she also gets an arc to herself later on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hi, you misspelled the anime title. The last word is "minai", with N nor R.

But it's good and I enjoy watching it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

nielsm posted:

Hi, you misspelled the anime title. The last word is "minai", with N nor R.

But it's good and I enjoy watching it.

Cheers, it should be fixed now. Thanks mods!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Clarste posted:

I really dislike the labcoat girl who babbles on about Shroedinger's Cat, and all the scenes she's in. I don't think the series needed that pseudoscientific perspective at all.

Funny, when I looked inside the box labcoat girl was best girl.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Huh, are the LNs officially translated/announced for translation?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Huh, are the LNs officially translated/announced for translation?

No official translations yet. There's a fan translation of the first volume of the LN, along with the first volume of the manga and the first issue of the second arc. Nothing more than that though.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I've really been enjoying this show, mostly because of the chemistry between Sakuta and Mai. I hope this continues to show their relationship developing and them bantering together.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

First episode was decent and I'm up for Definitely Not SNAFU while waiting for its third season.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I read this all as one extended metaphor for not being understood by society, except instead of making it big and dramatic and edgy, it's small petty inconveniences heaped upon you through this heartless lack of empathy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They're practically married in the span of two episodes.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 24, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Glad to see these two goofballs are still cute as hell together in ep4. Alongside a new-ish goofball

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

We've entered and endless recursion of time.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If I was Sakuta I'd tell this girl to piss off regardless of her pretty weak sob story tbh. She just needs to grow a spine and be honest with her friends.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Endless 8...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Good on Mai on being mature and actually coming over to talk things over at least.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ibblebibble posted:

Good on Mai on being mature and actually coming over to talk things over at least.

I love that her reaction was "dude why didn't you come clear up the misunderstanding, what's going on"

Nephthys posted:

If I was Sakuta I'd tell this girl to piss off regardless of her pretty weak sob story tbh. She just needs to grow a spine and be honest with her friends.

This is a world where if you get on people's bad sides you can either

A: Disappear forever. For missing a year of school.
B: Be cut. A lot. Randomly. For being late replying to messages.
C: Repeat time. For not honouring the code of 'sisters before misters'/'bros before hos'
D: Be randomly hospitalised and permanently scarred. For being the protagonist.
E: Spout trivia that just so happens to always match the situation the protagonist finds themselves in accurately. For wearing a labcoat.

No sob story is weak when such minor acts can cause the most heinous of curses.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think it's far too suspicious that Sakuta was included in the time loop too. I feel like realizing his own issues has to be a part of the resolution of this.

On the other hand, he was also immune to Mai's invisibility aura for longer than others too, so maybe it's even bigger than that.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Anime of the Season for me so far.
(Excluding JoJo of course.)

Mai is too cute.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

I think it's far too suspicious that Sakuta was included in the time loop too. I feel like realizing his own issues has to be a part of the resolution of this.

On the other hand, he was also immune to Mai's invisibility aura for longer than others too, so maybe it's even bigger than that.

He wasn't really immune to the invisibility/amnesia more than any other student, he just forced himself to stay awake which held off the effect. He would have forgotten at the same time as the rest of the student body if he didn't try to drown himself in energy drinks

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm caught up and I like both leads and their scenes together and how they act around each other, but let's be real the most important story now is Futaba's. I want her to be happy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think the fourth volume or so focuses on her, so you can expect a couple of episodes all about her :toot:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Clarste posted:

I feel like it's because he's not plugged in to the social atmosphere, so when it starts manifesting through AS he's left out.

Either that, or the timeloop broke because nobody started going out that day, not just new girl.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Elfface posted:

I feel like it's because he's not plugged in to the social atmosphere, so when it starts manifesting through AS he's left out.

Either that, or the timeloop broke because nobody started going out that day, not just new girl.

If it's about not being plugged in to the social atmosphere I'd expect Mai or labcoat girl to be left out too. They seem to be at least as antisocial as he is.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I'm guessing the timeloop ended because new girl is interested in him and this was the first permutation in which he didn't end up going out with Mai. So when they inevitably patch things up, the timeloop will start again.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Apparently the manga ends before the anime does, which seems... Backwards?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's originally a light novel. I think the manga is still adapting the second volume, which the anime is currently in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

chumbler posted:

Definitely Not SNAFU

This really sums up what I felt while watching. Except the characters that make me endure SNAFU despite being incredibly not for me aren’t here.