Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Confirmed, although I didn’t get to race much because my Gimx adapter is acting up and crapping out about every 5 minutes which is super fun in the middle of a race!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why am I getting 20 second penalties in FIA races when the min/max tires in the race details are hard/soft and I do a stint on mediums and a stint on softs? What am I missing?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats the best strat for grinding SR these days? When I played regularly maybe a year and a half ago it was qualifying in the back and staying there for a clean race, is that still the case? I can't stand being in these bumpy boi races with my B/D rating, rightfully earned through a few online races with improper GIMX settings.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whats the best strat for grinding SR these days? When I played regularly maybe a year and a half ago it was qualifying in the back and staying there for a clean race, is that still the case? I can't stand being in these bumpy boi races with my B/D rating, rightfully earned through a few online races with improper GIMX settings.

Especially for this set of weekly races I would say that’s true. Turn 1 at Monza is complete disaster even on S rated matchups, if you quali in the back let some fool do their usual over ambitious dive in to clear everyone out and you can just cruise through. The ring is basically a massive game of bumper cars with how narrow it is. It is definitely worth though just going for clean races to get your SR up to S, then you can focus on where you’re finishing to up the DR.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Why am I getting 20 second penalties in FIA races when the min/max tires in the race details are hard/soft and I do a stint on mediums and a stint on softs? What am I missing?

I haven’t really looked at it but my interpretation of the race detail screen was that the tires listed weren’t min/max but rather what is required. So you might be able to select all three but you have to do at least one lap on the soft and hard.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 16, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jovial Cow posted:

Especially for this set of weekly races I would say that’s true. Turn 1 at Monza is complete disaster even on S rated matchups, if you quali in the back let some fool do their usual over ambitious dive in to clear everyone out and you can just cruise through. The ring is basically a massive game of bumper cars with how narrow it is. It is definitely worth though just going for clean races to get your SR up to S, then you can focus on where you’re finishing to up the DR.

I did the ring race last night and it was a nightmare. The porsche is wagging its tail all the way to 120mph and loves to lock the front brakes. Maybe I'll grind the Tokyo freeway race tonight.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Saw this on the GT Planet forums, pretty much encapsulates Monza this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WGXVHG_paE

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Oof, don't monza unless you're SR S+++ lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Monza: Not even once

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I finished in 6th. Got promoted to 2nd due to penalties

:lol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did it boys!

https://twitter.com/one_t_matt/status/1251012563745361920?s=21

The only other person with no penalties also DNFed

Also went from D/E to C/B tonight. Working my way back

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 17, 2020

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So for all of you who have experienced the hell that is Monza this week you will appreciate this. From 13th to first, #12 on the door. Got the fastest lap, and was in poo poo the for most of the race. I pitted on lap 3 because there was a loving ton of traffic in front of me and it paid off in a big way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfEqisACYzk

Lobby had some A ranked dudes in there as well.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 18, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone here do GTSRL https://gtsrl.tv/

I signed up for their discord and might do some casual races while I wait for the next season

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Currently getting punted at Monza if you want to watch it in real time

https://twitch.tv/onetmatt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well I did it. I used Monza public races to go from c/d to b/a.

Brb accepting my Nobel prize

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well I did it. I used Monza public races to go from c/d to b/a.

Brb accepting my Nobel prize

I too got up to A doing Monza races. A DR players can actually do a race of Monza without punting people all over the place. We actually got through T1 without anyone spinning (I know because I started 19/20), it was incredible.

e: oh wait, do you mean SR? That might actually be even more impressive. I think my SR went down slightly in S despite my DR going up.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 21, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, SR went from D to A in just monza lol.

Now Fuji is no sweat after that baptism in fire

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Could use advice on the Super Formula Championship races. These feel impossibly hard to place in the top 3.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I said come in! posted:

Could use advice on the Super Formula Championship races. These feel impossibly hard to place in the top 3.

If you haven't yet, make sure you have a button assigned to the "overtake" function.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Jimmy I want you to know I enjoy passive-aggressively trying to beat your qualifying times.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dangerllama posted:

Jimmy I want you to know I enjoy passive-aggressively trying to beat your qualifying times.

Lol is that you I’m going back and forth with on Fuji times in the 911? You’ve got me for now but I’ll be back :argh:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jumped in on Thursday and saw the time DevCore set: "There's no way I can get close to that, how does he have me by three seconds"

Friday: beat DevCore's time by a tenth or two :smugdog:

qualifiers for the Weekly races are a good leaderboard

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a list of PSN names for GT Sport? I really need to add more people if only for the leaderboard aspect.

I’m One-T-Matt

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Are most people still in GoonTurismo?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a list of PSN names for GT Sport? I really need to add more people if only for the leaderboard aspect.

I’m One-T-Matt

We have a discord, come here and make friends with us.

https://discord.gg/P5FrfDF

Dangerllama posted:

Are most people still in GoonTurismo?

We get plenty of activity in the goon turismo discord so even for just discussion it's still pretty good.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I’m JovialCow

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

We have a discord, come here and make friends with us.

https://discord.gg/P5FrfDF

We get plenty of activity in the goon turismo discord so even for just discussion it's still pretty good.

I’m in!

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Fuji and going up against A DR drivers for the first time is going to give me a ton of grey hairs. You can fit so many cars in those turns and these higher rated guys are not afraid to nestle in your hip pocket. A lap in a race is completely different from a lap in quali. You’re just constantly looking for attacking cars, it’s nuts.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A whole lot of dive bombing in the C races.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
What’s everyone picking for the manufacturer series. I’m going to extrapolate the general public from your choices.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

What’s everyone picking for the manufacturer series. I’m going to extrapolate the general public from your choices.

Always
BMW
Contracts

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Dangerllama posted:

Always
BMW
Contracts

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo the Kyoto GR3 race last night was an absolute nightmare. I'm gonna give it a night or so for everyone to settle into it. An S-rated SR race and its bumper cars. Yikes

Yeah, last night alone tanked my DR and SR lol https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=2826585

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I haven’t even mustered up the courage to give it a try yet, I was doing quali time trials all night and I’m still like 5 seconds off the leading times. Gotta get at least a couple of seconds off that before I give it a go. That sort of slightly uphill right hander connecting the two tracks immediately after the long downhill straight is just killing me. I cannot figure out how to get the power down cleanly there.

Nations cup is tonight too on Dragons Tail Gardens which I just cannot drive for the life of me. Gonna have to spend quite a while in free practice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I usually watch a few of the top 10 replays just to see what they're doing.

My tip for that corner is to brake hard and stick as close to the inside as you can so when you get over the hump your wheels are mostly pointed straight and you can get on the gas hard. Now, as mentioned, i havent watched the top 10 replays yet, so maybe I'm way off :iiam:

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Jovial Cow posted:

Always
Be
CFerrari

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I ran the Fuji weeklies like, 20 times

I ran the Kyoto race once, and quit out early

not a big fan of that track at all

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So I hate Dragons Tail Gardens II with a passion. I cannot for the life of me consistently do that three part turn. I either drop a wheel and spin or trail brake and spin or get bumped and spin. Qualied 4th and 2nd and finished in the mid teens both times, dropped my DR to a B as well. First race back in B I did the Kyoto track, got pole, clean race, fastest lap, and won. Alllllmost back to an A. Absolutely needed that race, couldn’t end the night on those nations cup ones. Kyoto actually has a decent flow to it once you start to get the hang of it, just always defend inside on those high speed turns, make em go the long way around.

Red Bull Ring for manufacturer series, I may not be good at the track but at least I won’t just constantly spin off.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 29, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

harperdc posted:

I ran the Fuji weeklies like, 20 times

I ran the Kyoto race once, and quit out early

not a big fan of that track at all

For real it’s a nightmare. I might just run spa in the Supra for the week. I qualified with a decent time for Kyoto and I’m running with S-rated drivers and it’s still like everyone’s driving on a skating rink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Jovial Cow posted:

So I hate Dragons Tail Gardens II with a passion. I cannot for the life of me consistently do that three part turn. I either drop a wheel and spin or trail brake and spin or get bumped and spin. Qualied 4th and 2nd and finished in the mid teens both times, dropped my DR to a B as well. First race back in B I did the Kyoto track, got pole, clean race, fastest lap, and won. Alllllmost back to an A. Absolutely needed that race, couldn’t end the night on those nations cup ones. Kyoto actually has a decent flow to it once you start to get the hang of it, just always defend inside on those high speed turns, make em go the long way around.

Red Bull Ring for manufacturer series, I may not be good at the track but at least I won’t just constantly spin off.

I love RBR so I'm hoping for some good results in that race.
My problem is figuring out the pit strategy. It hosed me in the last race. I wonder if there are calculators out there where you can plug in the fuel consumption and tire ware multipliers on a track/car and it'll tell you how many laps you need to do on what fuel setting.