Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Found this at a Goodwill yesterday.

My contribution:

Here's a cutout of Mr. Gilmore if anyone wants it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Egbert Souse posted:

Found this at a Goodwill yesterday.

It took me some time to understand just what american "white culture" was,
this image is a perfect representation.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Mr. Gilmore, why do you wear a big suit?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

By popular demand posted:

The couple to the right appears to be Latino. And the hands of the couple behind the white couple on the left look like they could be black. Pretty progressive for a square-dancing record from the 1960s. Ed Gilmore, civil rights pioneer.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oops, stuck.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Szyznyk posted:

The couple to the right appears to be Latino. And the hands of the couple behind the white couple on the left look like they could be black. Pretty progressive for a square-dancing record from the 1960s. Ed Gilmore, civil rights pioneer.

Ed would later change his name to Ed X

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HiuCaaQhxg

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I don't like the microcephalic head you've given him but I can't be bothered to do it properly

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can Ed do the Dirty Cowboy?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ed can't not do the dirty cowboy

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Ed Gilmore. Do not these words sound like the midnight call of the bird of death?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Monet

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
:effort:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Wow, he taught Modern Western Square Dancing (MWSD) down in my neck of the woods! (if you do the math, he may have only taught about 10 classes.)

quote:

Ed Gilmore started calling in 1947 and attended the Lloyd Shaw summer seminar in Colorado the following year. Modern Western Square Dancing (MWSD) got it's start shortly after WWII. In the 1940's, the dances were taught as memorized routines. The callers called the dances the exact same way each time. The problem with that method was when couples were away for awhile they could not dance any of the new routines that had been taught. Gilmore, who was one of the early "pioneers" of the dance in the Southern California area, broke the dancing down into basic figures to simplify the dancing. In this way, perhaps Ed was the first to introduce "patter". It was no longer necessary for dancers to memorize the routines. In the Redlands/Riverside CA area, Ed taught over 4000 people to dance. The largest class was 764 people. Another class had 542 people attending.
Soon he was conducting callers schools on his own, as callers from all over sought his instruction. It is doubtful that anyone conducted more callers classes than Ed did over a period of two decades. Ed wrote extensive Callers Instruction Courses and numerous articles documenting his methods.

He recorded on Sets in Order, Balance and Decca and he had his own band called The Boom Chuck Boys. Although much of his time was spent on the road, calling at festivals and conducting caller classes, he always maintained a strong, home club program.

Ed was a founding father of the annual National Square Dance Convention and a recipient of the Silver Spur Award. Ed was present at Bob Osgood's three-day "think tank" in Glenwood Springs, Colorado with five other caller-leaders in 1961, as well as at the caller-seminars on the UCLA campus in 1964-65. As a member of the Square Dance Hall of Fame, he was invited in February 1971 to attend an "Honors Banquet" at the Asilomar Conference Grounds that concluded with the group signing of the eight point charter that would be the start of Callerlab.

In March 1971, Ed returned to Hibbing, Minnesota where on previous occasions he had trained many callers. Shortly upon his arrival he was taken to the hospital for observation, and though quite uncomfortable, he conducted what must have been the most unusual callers course of them all. Allowed only one or two visitors at a time, the entire enrollment of the course settled down in the reception room of the hospital, each member waiting his turn to talk with and be coached by Ed. When Ed passed away in June 1971, slightly more than three months after he shared in the creation of Callerlab, it brought to a close a very special era for square dancing. Ed was honored with the Callerlab Milestone Award posthumously.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 30, 2018

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Jaguars! posted:

I don't like the microcephalic head you've given him but I can't be bothered to do it properly

BORN TO DANCE
WORLD IS LADY LUCK
Kill Em All 1959
I am fashionable man
410,757,864,530 ED BOPS

cnut
May 3, 2016

Jaguars! posted:

I bet that dude got all kinds of pussy. Look at the size of his mic!

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

From the episode "the SQUARE of Gothos".

Little Star Trek humor there for all you--

*underwear ran up flagpole*

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Mr. Gilmore, why do you wear a big suit?

Same as it ever was

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Double Agent posted:

Same as it ever was

:parrot:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Couldn't decide which direction I liked better so you get both.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That fits so well.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ZamBOOni_Rodeo posted:

call for help

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I had to learn square dancing in grade school because white racists were scared of being culturally overwhelmed. This poo poo's been going on.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'm from Europe and I had to do square dancing in school but probably because my teacher was a sadist?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I had to learn square dancing in grade school because white racists were scared of being culturally overwhelmed. This poo poo's been going on.

I had to square dance in grade school because even a bunch of idiot children can do a formal hokey-pokey.

actually that seems like line dancing
line dancing loving sucks

curlys gold fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 2, 2018

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ZamBOOni_Rodeo posted:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The outline of his head including his Dumbo ears make me think of Obama even in the photos of his main work. I thought that someone shopped the former prez into the first (and all subsequent) photos. Ed has that outdoor farmer tan that makes face and hands brown.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

curlys gold posted:

I had to square dance in grade school because even a bunch of idiot children can do a formal hokey-pokey.

actually that seems line dancing
line dancing loving sucks

You have my sympathy.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Stuck again for one day.
Any more photoshops?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Ed got radical.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

https://qz.com/1153516/americas-wholesome-square-dancing-tradition-is-a-tool-of-white-supremacy/

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

What's interesting to me is we've all used our good buddy Ed but no one's picked any of the dancers from the album cover. If I get time tomorrow when I have access to Photoshop I might see if inspiration strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Surprised people have gone down the David Lynch path and not picked the obvious Dean Stockwell character from Blue Velvet.