Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLM78R76sI

George: What could it be? Paul? Something in the way she moves... Something like that?
X: It's 3 v 1 I think
John: ...in your head each time. Just say what comes into your head each time, 'Attracts me like a cauliflower,' until you get the word, you know.
George: Yeah but I been through this one for like six months.
John: You haven't had people joining in though, right?
George: No. I mean just that line... I couldn't think of anything like uh... (starts playing) But it's not as easy to say like...

(drums and music start coming in from band)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Please don't give George any hints he'll get there.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
the beatles loving suck

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

DiggityDoink posted:

the beatles loving suck

No they are v good

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

the beatles loving suck

Diarrhea shelf

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

raton posted:

Diarrhea shelf

I think diarrhea shelf is a great idea I am sorry your thread got gassed by jealous mods.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Linux Pirate posted:

I think diarrhea shelf is a great idea I am sorry your thread got gassed by jealous mods.

I agree and thank you.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Explain why Beatles were good from technical, objective standpoint.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the video is actually pretty self evident on that front, dennis

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

Watch this:
https://youtu.be/ZQS91wVdvYc

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

We know apriori that you're wrong about everything.
You think they are not good.
Therefore they must be good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Mllleeep compu ter. Ex plain human music object ively bzzzzrrt.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

The Walrus posted:

the video is actually pretty self evident on that front, dennis

OK. I'll try to watch those videos when I have more time.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I mean after you watch the video in the op you should listen to the actual finished product too

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Every thread about the beatles on the internet starts with someone jumping out of the woodwork to say they're bad because they are so opposed to people liking the group that they just cannot keep it contained in their little lungs, which means they are good because being so divisive that people do that consistently means they really had somethin going for them, it just wasn't for everybody's taste

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't even like the beatles really I'm just saying that the way to defeat the "explain why they are good" argument is to point out the hypocrisy. You wouldn't dive in to say they suck and the people who like them are wrong if there weren't five decades of people who liked them

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I never said the Beatles sucked. I don't see what all the fuss is about with them, but I know nothing about music. Like zero. So I really was curious if there was some sort of technical explanation as to why so many people like them so much.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

DiggityDoink posted:

the beatles loving suck

you tell 'em, doink

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Beatles realized you could shout on records and they wouldnt catch fire and since then people have been doing shout music because it’s cool. :dukedog:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I never said the Beatles sucked. I don't see what all the fuss is about with them, but I know nothing about music. Like zero. So I really was curious if there was some sort of technical explanation as to why so many people like them so much.

I wasn't saying you were one of those people snorkeling on in to say the beatles are bad, I meant the general 'you'. It's like how people always pop up out of trash cans and your sink to say DID YOU KNOW HP LOVECRAFT WAS RACIST? any time anyone mentions his name

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is a pro click btw

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Beatles aren't good for technical or objective reasons. They got good playing like eight hours a day together as basically a strip club band in Germany and this gave them an almost unparalleled level of group cohesion compared to any other band in history. They leveraged this by writing most of their songs as a sort of hive mind. Usually John or Paul would come in with basically a nothing idea, Ringo is retarded but he was always ready to just lay down a steady drum background, George would add eccentricty at usually the right time (although he bright in ideas too), and by the end of this they'd have a song that no single person could have written but that also suffers less from group oriented flaws than stuff like that usually produces.

Their early songs are basically very tight boy band stuff but their ability to write based on a stream of ideas rather than a structure or plan synergized hugely with the rapid change in thought and music in the 1960s. They ended up creating a series of legendary albums perfectly in tune with the times that all had a fine quality of being deeply connected to humanity but also always new. People used to look forward to every new Beatles album like people liked forward to OK Computer when it first came out (if you remember that), it was never what you expected, many people were blown away each time they bought a new Beatles album and took it home, and the music grew on them over time.

In short the Beatles were absolute monsters when it came to actual profound musical creation (but simultaneously didn't go into the deep end of weird Zappa/Cooder poo poo / nonlistenability). They're not objectively or technically amazing, they're great because of their humungous, driving and careful humanity at both the individual and group levels, and for the incredible degree to which they were able to manifest this directly in their music (rather than as some background notion).

My favorite song of theirs is A Day In The Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

raton posted:

The Beatles aren't good for technical or objective reasons. They got good playing like eight hours a day together as basically a strip club band in Germany and this gave them an almost unparalleled level of group cohesion compared to any other band in history. They leveraged this by writing most of their songs as a sort of hive mind. Usually John or Paul would come in with basically a nothing idea, Ringo is retarded but he was always ready to just lay down a steady drum background, George would add eccentricty at usually the right time (although he bright in ideas too), and by the end of this they'd have a song that no single person could have written but that also suffers less from group oriented flaws than stuff like that usually produces.

Their early songs are basically very tight boy band stuff but their ability to write based on a stream of ideas rather than a structure or plan synergized hugely with the rapid change in thought and music in the 1960s. They ended up creating a series of legendary albums perfectly in tune with the times that all had a fine quality of being deeply connected to humanity but also always new. People used to look forward to every new Beatles album like people liked forward to OK Computer when it first came out (if you remember that), it was never what you expected, many people were blown away each time they bought a new Beatles album and took it home, and the music grew on them over time.

In short the Beatles were absolute monsters when it came to actual profound musical creation (but simultaneously didn't go into the deep end of weird Zappa/Cooder poo poo / nonlistenability). They're not objectively or technically amazing, they're great because of their humungous, driving and careful humanity at both the individual and group levels, and for the incredible degree to which they were able to manifest this directly in their music (rather than as some background notion).

My favorite as well^^

Nah!!
Jan 5, 2009

raton posted:

The first time I listened to Sgt. Pepper’s (only about a year ago) I was listening to their stuff in order. I had really been into Rubber Soul and Revolver so I was excited to hear their famous weird one.

I got super high, turned it up on the home theater system, and turned the lights down. It was genuinely the best thing I ever heard. Like, it’s weird how easily I can still point to the best experience I’ve ever had listening to music. A Day in the Life especially, no song has ever affected me like that one and it can still give me chills.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This is really good, OP, thanks!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ONJQLdZrk

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This seems good

Lot of good content on the Beatles off of that link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl9188EPdLI

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DiggityDoink posted:

the beatles loving suck

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

raton posted:

p good post imo

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

This guy here had some videos from way back when where he illustrated Lennon's and Harrison's guitar playing better than anyone else I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRZDf3FryLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWmTv9yMygw

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

the beatles loving suck

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Ringo Starr is going to live to be 120 years old and he's still going to look younger than me when he dies

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

I've noticed people who claim the Beatles suck usually have Zappa as their sneering rear end in a top hat saint, a guy famous for writing music as hard to play as it was easy to forget

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cosmik Slop posted:

I've noticed people who claim the Beatles suck usually have Zappa as their sneering rear end in a top hat saint, a guy famous for writing music as hard to play as it was easy to forget

Well the Beatles only have like a hundred memorable songs that everyone knows, while Frank Zappa has uh

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Well the Beatles only have like a hundred memorable songs that everyone knows, while Frank Zappa has uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKYGaEafv4g

It's not his most well known but it's on Hot Rats and Hot Rats is loving golden.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Cosmik Slop posted:

a guy famous for writing music as hard to play as it was easy to forget
:drat:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'm not sure if you're joking or just a big dummy, op, but that whole video is trying to come up with the words after "Something in the way she moves, attracts me like ____" and they don't figure it out in the whole 9 minutes. Everything else George had written in the past 6 months. I mean he just couldn't figure out that one line.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 22, 2018

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

The piccolo bass made Paul McCartney look giant which scared away the second moon that imprisoned his wife, Athena

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I like both Zappa and The Beatles. The truth is in the middle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i liked them when they were the Silver Beetles

• Locked thread