Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«19 »
The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

So tell me, librarians, how are you guys keeping busy right now?
I assume not many libraries are open because of the 'vid, so yeah that question I asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

vorticity (n):
A measure of the local rotation in a fluid flow. In weather analysis and forecasting, it usually refers to the vertical component of rotation and is used most often in reference to synoptic scale or mesoscale weather systems.

Pillbug

I can't really tell because I'm not a librarian, but my local library is doing curbside drop-off / pick-up (or you can always use the return slot on the side of the building) and really pushing their online services like Overdrive and Hoopla, plus doing lots of Facebook Live events like story time for kids. They're also a wifi hotspot for the city so people can sit in the parking lot and use their internet service.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 10, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We reopened weeks ago with a pickup service.

We hand out books in brown paper bags and I'm having to bite my tongue to not make a "discreetly packaged" quip every time.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

So tell me, librarians, how are you guys keeping busy right now?
I assume not many libraries are open because of the 'vid, so yeah that question I asked.

My local authority has drafted library staff to call vulnerable people at home to distribute food parcels and check in on local residents for covid response efforts. Nice idea right?

I was just on the phone to somebody in a manic episode who attempted to cut his cock and balls off with a kitchen knife. Needless to say I immediately escalated that to emergency services but christ it does make me miss the regular library weirdos.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Mediocre posted:

My local authority has drafted library staff to call vulnerable people at home to distribute food parcels and check in on local residents for covid response efforts. Nice idea right?

I was just on the phone to somebody in a manic episode who attempted to cut his cock and balls off with a kitchen knife. Needless to say I immediately escalated that to emergency services but christ it does make me miss the regular library weirdos.

loving hell that's a plot twist. Hopefully things settle down for both of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Captain Mediocre posted:

As OP of this thread I have the right, and am sorely tempted, to say "welp, can't nothing beat that, shutting the thread down."

...I won't, don't worry, because holy poo poo I hadn't really thought of the implications of how many ways this could affect my library peeps. Y'all are gonna have reference calls asking about best ways to inject bleach, and sky-rocketing amounts of homeless people, and whackjobs insisting that your wifi is somehow distributing the virus, and people using you as babysitting services because they have to go back to work but the kids have no school and aaaAAAAAAAA

My heart goes out to you, brethren/sisters. Stay strong, be safe, I love you.

«19 »