Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh yeah the style guide I have, I've read it up and down. I even looked up how to use a grid in graphics design. Well, I found out that you do.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Nobody reads signs, lol
they really don't, I covered the doors in announcements that the library is closed due to both coronavirus and construction work and we get 1-2 folks a day on average who completely fail to realize. Although, special shoutout to the dude who walked in today and spent merry hours browsing the stacks before we spotted him. Please note that he had to have walked through the construction site to get in, which is currently an empty concrete shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh yeah the style guide I have, I've read it up and down. I even looked up how to use a grid in graphics design. Well, I found out that you do.

they really don't, I covered the doors in announcements that the library is closed due to both coronavirus and construction work and we get 1-2 folks a day on average who completely fail to realize. Although, special shoutout to the dude who walked in today and spent merry hours browsing the stacks before we spotted him. Please note that he had to have walked through the construction site to get in, which is currently an empty concrete shell.

I'd do weirder things to get unfettered access to the University library in my town for sure.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

MOTHER-HECKING FLIP YEAH!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Once we had a fire at my library and the firefighters had to stop people from trying to get in.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

When we were getting my library ready for demolition, all books had been moved to a temporary site. It was an empty hall full of trash and discarded furniture. Some windows were missing. We still had punters force their way past signs and tape, then just gormlessly wander around looking for their magazines or whatever.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I just wasted all my charitable impulse for the day on a wet lump of fuzz.

The_Other posted:

Once we had a fire at my library and the firefighters had to stop people from trying to get in.

My university had an evacuation alarm (it was a chem building, I think it was due to a bottle of acetylene, a very flammable gas, falling down and spewing gas everywhere). The librarian in there was an older, short man with an even shorter fuse. He had to be physically restrained from getting into a fistfight with some brat that said he had left his laptop in the library and he was going inside to recover it, firefighters or not.

The dean was not amused.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 24, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Once in a conference the head of a branch library had just said "right, on to the next point: our fire safety protocols" when the fire alarm went off.

One of the policies was "in the event of a fire, ask people to leave, but if they insist on staying, move on sooner rather than later and be sure to tell the fire department, but don't endanger yourself on account of a stubborn patron" which I thought was exceedingly sensible and completely in line with what I would have done no matter the policy, so good thing that happened to align right there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Today a guy waltzed right in the closed library, first case since December when we went pickup only. And when I say waltzed in it wasn't like "oh drat didn't even realize" but like "what if I just sneak past you guys" - "well, my colleague will come after you" - "yeah, I don't think so" waltzes in.

Only to use the restroom, too. Hope that was worth the four week ban our director is drawing up. If we were feeling really spiteful I bet we could absolutely get him on some kind of coronavirus prevention ordinance too.

Slight catch is that with that attitude he naturally refused to show any ID so we have to pretty much rely on recognizing him and then other desk staff recognizing him by our description. He's probably gonna get away with it. My boss got the gist of the exchange over the phone and commended me for using the Authoritative Voice, but in hindsight what I really should have done was go "well shucks mate, you've been in now, you might as well get the book you came for, knock yourself out"; "oh there you are, just the one? I'll need to see your library card please"

e: the really annoying bit is that he's gonna be all "the library banned me for using the restrooms!" when it's really the library is banning you for demonstrating you won't listen to staff instructions, what are you going to do in an actual emergency or what indeed keeps you from walking out with a stack of expensive art books or w/ever going YEAH I DON'T THINK SO COPPER at us

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 31, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

My Lovely Horse posted:

what indeed keeps you from walking out with a stack of expensive “art” books

Maybe that’s why he went to the bathroom? In college the library was three stories and the third floor was all study rooms. There was a single toilet male/single toilet female bathrooms, rarely ever used. My roommate worked at the library and said that every couple of days the janitor would have to mop and clean out all the “art,” “photography,” and gymnastics magazines (three of them! WTF!) beforehand. I’m pretty sure the staff knew who it was, but I think the decision was made just to let it slide because at least he wasn’t being creepy to the ladies there and never seemed to make a mess. The janitor used to work in a hotel and had horrific stories of cleaning rooms and stripping bedsheets, according to my bud, and seemed like English butler type of unfazeable. Like he’d seen some poo poo in his day.

Also he said the people he worked with were all sweet and as this was in the day of card catalogs they were ready to help everyone 👌🏼.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

LOL IRL