Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Glad you're enjoying it!

If you liked ELECTRICITY, you'll probably also enjoy Mercury Lady.

We had a number of patrons who would come in and stop by my desk thinking we were a free a/v repair service. "I put this tape I checked out in my VCR, and it got stuck. Can you get it out it out?" That sort of thing.

And if they were kindly old grandpas, and I wasn't busy, I'd take pity on them, because where else could you get a VCR fixed in TYOOL 2012? I had the tools and the knack for it, and I like fixing things. (Hell, half my job at that time was splicing broken videotapes together and buffing discs that people had apparently used as coasters.)

The people I could not stand, however, were the ones who came in and expected me to fix their laptop issues. One, there's a Best Buy just up the street; go get that poo poo done by people actually getting paid to do that. Two, my computer expertise ends at Windows XP, because that's the OS we're still using, so I don't have a clue how to fix your issue.

One woman came in, trying to get her laptop fixed.
"Can you figure out what's wrong with this? My laptop's doing [whatever the gently caress the problem du jour was]"
Sigh. "I can try, but this isn't really my job. What's the prob---"
"I NEED TO LEAVE, YOUR WIFI IS BURNING MY SKIN. CAN YOU TURN THE WIFI OFF?"
"... Nnnnooo?" :stare:

This happened for weeks. She would come in, try to get her laptop fixed by us for free, and at the same time kvetch about the fact that we had WiFi and that it affected her physically in some way.

It was a local election year, and League of Women Voters had a bunch of debates sponsored by them being hosted by our library. This woman kept showing up to congressional debates (despite our debilitating WiFi) with crazy rear end posters about how there was a huge conspiracy about mercury fillings in our teeth. And so she got named The Mercury Lady.

She never did anything terrible or ban-able, she was just one of those patrons who you'd see coming in and roll your eyes.

Did you tell her her laptop has WiFi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You smell that? That's piss AND literature, baby.

Do I have to call The Police?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

A lil' off topic but as the creator of this thread I'm running with it. :colbert: I seek the wisdom of my library comrades who actually have an MLS.

I got tapped to do a radio show, and I've decided, as a former library serf, that the theme is gonna be "A thru Z". Every week I'll bring you stuff by the letter [whatever]. I'm having a blast sifting and ripping my collection of CDs, but one thing is nagging me: I have a lot of German bands. Do I list these under "D" because they are Die Haut, Die Krupps, etc, or under the [whatver the band name is after the German equivalent of "the"]?

Ignoring the article for archiving is better form.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

Time to sweep out the drop box.

Wouldn't want to scratch any book covers.