Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

This reminds me of the anger people had at us sorting Icelandic and Japanese authors according to the nations custom, oh the anger people directed at us for putting Yrsa Sigurðardóttir under the Y and not the S and them getting even more huffy when we pointed out that it would be improper for us to put it under the S.

Oh Falsehoods people believe about names!

We use CARL as our software. Everything has to be in caps. The software also can't correctly handle when someone has more than one last name, so last names have to be hyphenated or just smushed together. This software is garbage. Do not let your library systems switch to CARL X. Also look at the stupid web address for the company that makes it https://tlcdelivers.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

When I first started working for the public library, there was this homeless dude who never wore shoes and never spoke because he had taken a vow of silence. He would communicate via small handwritten notes. He once gave the staff coconuts.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I think it was just a couple coconuts. Pretty sure the staff there didn't do much with them because wtf. That particular branch has a lot of problem patrons. Just a couple months ago, they caught a guy trying to steal someone's phone and when he left, he threw a big ol rock through the glass window in the kids area, shattering the window. This was in the middle of the day. There were kids and parents right there. Really hosed up.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Captain Mediocre posted:

Do American public libraries still require qualified library certifications? My area has completely given up the idea, I think largely because qualified librarians would expect too much pay.

I've just become a library manager with an unrelated degree (after a few years as a library assistant) and there's only a handful of people I know who are certified and all are nearing retirement.

My new library also has no end of weirdos. The homeless ones I can work with but the worst are the faux academics writing huge tracts of worthless bullshit on the computers every day, expecting you to support their research at every level and endure their insane delusions of self importance.

My county does require librarians to have a MLS.

I'd much rather deal with uppity dudes as opposed to the homeless lady whose "service" dog will growl, bark, and bite people or the dude who is either insane/on drugs that talked extensively about how Simba on the cover of the children's library books he was holding was God. Yesterday kinda sucked.

Still better than dealing with middle schoolers though

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

My branch was close to a very upper class high-school (sons of diplomats and CEOs), those kids were the worst.

Eat the rich and their children.

I usually don't work at the branches that are next to middle schools anymore. I read about an incident at one branch last month where there was basically a middle schooler mini riot. Word had gotten around that two girls were going to fight and they were entering and exiting the library. So of course they were followed by a hundred screaming classmates with their phones out waiting for them to go at it. Patrons were getting shoved out of the way by a sea of students. Of course the cops took too long to get there and were very disdainful of having been called over "nothing"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Cythereal posted:

It's still true that the surest way to further outrage a professor is to respond to "Don't you know who I am?!" with "Nope."

Oh man, is this the academic library version of "muh taxes pay your salary" :bahgawd: . I always think that argument is hilarious. I mean, I pay taxes too, but that still doesn't mean I can walk onto an army base and drive off in a tank

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Captain Mediocre posted:

Just had to ban somebody after I found out they've been secretly filming staff and uploading the videos to Facebook alongside unhinged rambling diatribes for months :stare:

This after we took pity on her and gave her unlimited free photocopying and scanning to resolve some of her personal problems. Fucks sake.

Can you actually ban someone in your system? We can't, just give really long "suspensions"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

A dog snuck in today and pooped in the middle of the children's computer area.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Cythereal posted:

So my friend who works in the county library system out on the east coast that I used to work at but got fired from has reported that the county library management had their winter get-together to review the year. To the surprise of absolutely everyone at the meeting but no one who actually works with patrons, the 3d printer maker space thing has ended up being super costly, massively disrupted operations at the central library for the county, and... pretty much no one is using it. There have been numerous complaints about it from the public, even, that the library is wasting money on this poo poo that no one wants and messing up operations for no good reason.

Library management's response to this situation reached at the end of the meeting? What we need is better outreach and advertising to tell people what they can do in the maker space!

3d printing seems like something that works as kind of a rotational program. Maybe have one at the branch for like a week at a time. It really hurts that you can't print copyrighted stuff though, like kids might want something related to disney or superheroes and you just have to go.... Sorry, nope

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Legos "Building blocks" programs are more popular than 3d printing. Just buy more Legos "building blocks"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Several of the libraries in my system have weekly knitting clubs, full of old ladies that would gladly help you learn how to knit things.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Those are a lot better, although I have to say that a lot of librarians overestimate their educational skills, which reduces the effectiveness of these programs.

Uh, are librarians actually leading those classes themselves? I've only ever seen guest presenters actually teaching those types of programs in my system.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Why are book carts so expensive

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

*throws down Diana Gabaldon paperbacks to break the fall*

More like... Ouchlander amirite???!!!

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 27, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

New program: library pachinko

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Most amazing thing in that story was the police response time. I don't think I've ever seen a cop in 5-10 minutes from a non emergency line call

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Depends on the neighborhood? Where I grew up even a 911 call would take more than 30 minutes but if you drove ten minutes south you'd be in gentrified land where I've had the cops called on me for loitering (car broke down) and they showed up fast.

Yeah, I guess thats true. Theres a particular branch where the PD will flat out not show up at all. I'm not saying they show up late, no one shows up at all. Granted, its in a not so great town. Rumor is that it was because of a city budgeting/funding issue where DECISIONS had to be made about who got money and the library got funds that the police thought they deserved instead. So now they just don't show up.

Speaking of cops, there was an incident a couple months ago at a branch that was right next to a middle school. This branch gets flooded with students after school gets out. On this particular day, word had gotten around that two girls were gonna fight after school. The two girls proceed to enter and leave the front entrance repeatedly, followed by a mob (imagine something like 75+ kids) running after them screaming with their phones out, pushing other library patrons out of the way. This happens for half an hour while the staff tries to get them under control and are calling 911 for help. Of course 1(!!!) cop shows up after all the kids leave and is just so god drat disdainful about having to be bothered answering a call coming from the library.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 30, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

My library system got hit with a ransomware attack while I was off work this past week.
https://ccclib.org/news/library-services-impacted-by-cyber-security-attack/

Going to work today is gonna suck.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

We've been closed since Sunday. I got grilled by some lady that asked if we were wiping down all the books. This is when we were wiping down basically every touched surface every hour on the hour. We barely had enough cleaning supplies to do that, no way we could sanitize every item that came through.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

How are you expected to do that? Like, how do you disinfect all the pages in a book or all the discs in AV items. Or is it just rubbing the outside of an item with cleaner? Seems like it would just be more effective to set aside returned items for a few days so they can't be checked out until the virus dies off on the items

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I got laid off from the county library on the first. Just accepted a position in the same county doing contact tracing. It pays more than my library assistant job and doesn't require a college degree :stare:. God, my library union was such poo poo

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

My (former) library system just announced a second round of layoffs. They laid off about 35 employees last time, including me. Meanwhile, the sheriffs department gets to draw from the county's general fund and will probably get an increase. The county hr team that helped placed me elsewhere said that no other department has laid anyone off. Libraries are the bottom bitch and it sucks.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

The lights are probably on some automated timer set by the city/county and someone hosed up the settings.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I don't have a good answer for what to do. But the morale of my (now former) library system is rock bottom. Multiple rounds of layoffs, with staff getting sent to either different branches (with nothing to actually do at these branches) or getting sent to do coronavirus call center stuff. All programs in the county have to be approved by admin so librarians feel like they don't have any agency. Nobody feels like the upper management cares about anyone's health. When multiple staff members got sick at a branch and the remaining staff closed up because they were concerned, admin called them back and said they had to work the rest of the day. And now the county librarian announced her retirement at the end of September lol. I think she's worked for us less than 2 years.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Tippecanoe posted:

That sucks pal, I'm in a similar situation except still employed (for now) and no one has gotten sick (yet), and people are either super overworked and stressed or have absolutely nothing to do. I'm also just starting my MLIS and feeling like I've made a huge mistake. No idea what else I can do except keep working and doing school and hoping I don't get sick or laid off. Maybe the job market for MLIS will be better in a few years???? lol fat chance

EDIT: Post your backup plan ITT

Oh, I got laid off but then the county gave me priority with placing me elsewhere. I'm doing contact tracing, and even though I don't really like doing it that much, the benefits are much better and the pay is higher than my library job. Working from home is also nice. Its a project position though, so it only lasts a max of 2 years. I'll get first dibs if they bring back my old library job though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

It showed me a folding circumcision knife from early 19th century Nigeria. I think I'm done after that lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Cythereal posted:

That was fun. Walked up to the library on my lunch break (I work in a generic administrative and data entry office job now), and while I was there a woman was with her two small children at the entrance, arguing with the staff that she couldn't be legally required to wear a mask to enter the library. It's about government control of free citizens, not health, you see.

I restricted myself to just going "Really, lady?" as I walked past her on my way out.

I once had an older guy go all in about his 1st amendment rights on me after I saw him tell some little kid to be quiet and I asked him nicely to let staff deal with problems.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Nobody reads signs, lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Although honestly, series belong in order.

No way in hell am I sorting all those drat rainbow magic fairy books in numbered order.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Hmm... Maybe I shouldn't have thrown out that biography that was literally run over by a car?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I used to occasionally check out interesting stuff on my own card just so that it'd get a circ and not get weeded though

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Ah yes, they're tossing the rarest books such as Huxley's Brave New World and Shakespeare collections

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Jedit posted:

Those copies of Brave New World are in good shape. The fact that that particular book has been removed from the curriculum at this particular time should give pause for thought whether the books were being thrown out or not. Fahrenheit 451 might have been a little more on the nose, but not by much.

I don't really get the point you're making here. The school library is getting renovated and presumably has limited space. Those copies look old as hell. How do you know they don't have newer editions in the collection? I didn't know that chicago had taken that book off their curriculum, but wouldn't that be an argument in favor of getting rid of the books to clear up space for something that IS part of the curriculum? Its not like the school librarian has control over what books the teachers are teaching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Librarians in general also tend to make a big deal out of privacy in regards to personal info and checkout history