Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Antivehicular posted:

I recall a very old (and non-SA) message board thread from an adult-video-store clerk who cited the VHS version of this problem as the worst part of her job. Seems legit.

Keyboard goop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

quote:

there he is again, palm-slapping the glass like he's trying to get a Chronicle of Riddick VHS in there

:vince:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mercenarynuker posted:

I would play Encarta Mind Maze as OTJ training

Sounds like Scientology to me. Operating Thetan: Justice.

Just give Karl Urban a real gun and send him to Clearwater.

Edit: j/k about that. I don’t need any more Mormons visitors, either.

Quad-edit: didn’t realize I was talking to myself. I just found/read this thread and didn’t peek at the end. You can tell by the time stamps on the posts not being one after another 🤥

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 9, 2019

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Unkempt posted:

Nobody has to go to reddit.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
How many pennies did you get?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dick Trauma posted:

I worked at my local library when I was in high school and the only patron I can still remember is the man who would stand for hours at the paperback book racks, just spinning them, and then from time to time he would loudly exclaim "sssssSSSSSSUCK MY COCK!" and then dash for the front doors.

:hmmyes:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jedit posted:

Chick Corea was a Scientologist? gently caress.

I thought Chick Corea was like an all-female Asian Punk band?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

My Lovely Horse posted:

what indeed keeps you from walking out with a stack of expensive “art” books

Maybe that’s why he went to the bathroom? In college the library was three stories and the third floor was all study rooms. There was a single toilet male/single toilet female bathrooms, rarely ever used. My roommate worked at the library and said that every couple of days the janitor would have to mop and clean out all the “art,” “photography,” and gymnastics magazines (three of them! WTF!) beforehand. I’m pretty sure the staff knew who it was, but I think the decision was made just to let it slide because at least he wasn’t being creepy to the ladies there and never seemed to make a mess. The janitor used to work in a hotel and had horrific stories of cleaning rooms and stripping bedsheets, according to my bud, and seemed like English butler type of unfazeable. Like he’d seen some poo poo in his day.

Also he said the people he worked with were all sweet and as this was in the day of card catalogs they were ready to help everyone 👌🏼.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

LOL IRL

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

That was the very first book I ever bought with my own money. I was 5 and in kindergarten and loved the story in the library at school. My very first Scholastic Book Fair catalogue came out a week before, and I did extra 5-year-old-boy chores (feed dog, make bed, pick up toys, etc) to earn enough to buy the book. It was really cheap (1980 prices) and my son (who earned his bachelor’s in 2020) still has it in a box of his & mine old books for when he (hopefully) has children. It was his favorite until he was three and got into my huge collection of Little Golden dinosaur books that Sesame Street and Blue’s Clues taught him how to read himself. Most of the LG books have juice or jelly or some bodily fluids smeared and stained, because he was three and reading them while eating pb&j in his booster seat.
Bremen is still in good condition, though :hfive:!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Thought provoking words.
:hmmyes:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

therobit posted:

I’m not sure if this is sarcasm or not. The book Jurassic Park is by Michael Crichton and was a bestseller before the movie was conceived.

Also, the CGI dinos quality completely annihilates CGI anything made even 20 years later. The TRex scenes still blow me away with how realistic they look, move, and react.

I still don’t know how the filmmakers pulled that off using technology available my senior year of high school (1993 release).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

King of False Promises posted:

Just compare The Thing to anything released after it that didn't bother to do practical. That poo poo still looks good.

You folks are right: kinda like Ronin (De Niro one) has awesome loving car chases, like the Bourne movies. That stuff was chopped up, edited, and ultimately just stuntmen and cinematography/photography folks who knew how to take it to the limits of realistic-looking effects. I was born in ‘74 (my first theater movie experience was my third birthday was Star Wars and I never realized the animatronics we still such a big part of JP.

Hell, I still know how to use a card catalog and the Dewey Decimal system to find books & articles passed to me by friends so I can keep current with newer stuff in our field! I have learned the joys of digital libraries because of Covid, though, and I was able to read all of Stark’s Parker novels (all 24) which I had zero chance finding them all in a B&M library!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Wudz posted:

Next time, the creepy guy who thinks he's Mr. Rogers

sorry about using your good thread to vent

I have library experience 100% as a patron only, yet for some reason this thread fascinates me! Library workers have to deal with the public, yet don’t get a lot of the protections as a private business! Please, vent away, and don’t forget any creep stories!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Waffle! posted:

/\ I would do Al-Z, right before Alm.

I had to tell this kid twice that there's no food in the library. Then he started to open up the historical book display, and got mad when I told him not to. I didn't want his Cheeto fingers on 100 year old books, but apparently that makes me racist and he stormed out.

Ok bye.

We had a Cheeto President, get over your hangups about those people.

In all seriousness, though, when I was in college somebody spilled coffee on some W. Faulkner correspondence. Since my college was Ole Miss, it was scandalous enough that even us Bio/Chem folks followed the story for a month. 👴🏻

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Tiggum posted:

You can just type username:"Cable Guy" in the search bar at the top of the page.

La…Larry?